hoytshooter1 04-Dec-19
ahunter76 01-Jan-20
skull 01-Jan-20
Mule Power 01-Jan-20
whacknstack 06-Jan-20
24-Nov-19

Ostrander_Hunter's embedded Photo
Ostrander_Hunter's embedded Photo
Hey folks, I'm working on my bucket list. Wanting to cross off antelope. Looking at a 2020 Wyoming antelope hunt. I'll be 62, and wondering about just going out and hitting the public ground. A lot I have read said there's no need for an outfitter. I will be rifle hunting. Have any of you done this? Did you just identify an area you felt was promising, and then walked in after you got your tag? Did you find this was a good choice, or did you wish you'd hired an outfitter to show you the ropes? I'm just pondering whether to try to do this myself, or to go with an outfitter. What does everyone think? What were your experiences? My clock is ticking, and I'd like to get one on the wall. Thanks!

24-Nov-19
If you are rifle hunting you can hunt any unit where you can draw a tag and has accessible public land and be tagged out opening morning. The biggest issue is access and a tag.

24-Nov-19
Depending on how many points you have and what kind of area you can draw, its relatively easy. I've done it in the past with rifle as well , it was a one day deal. We showed up a few days early, scouted, found decent bucks and opening morning by 10 we both were done.

24-Nov-19
As a side note , I'm currently sitting on 12 points for antelope and deer which I'm hoping to cash in in 2020 and do a 2-3 week trip out west. That is unless I draw moose with 20 points.

24-Nov-19
I think I got 7 WY goat/deer pts and was thinking about next year for the goat. From what I researched so far. The better goat units take some points. Oh ya...Onx is your friend.

24-Nov-19
Shouldn't need an outfitter unless you have mobility issues or are looking for a giant. Go out a couple days early to scout and you shouldn't have any trouble killing a representative buck.

As has been said above, OnX is your friend. WY has lots of public land and lots of its landlocked or difficult access.

24-Nov-19
I agree with predeter. You have great representative animals on your wall and you certainly don't need an outfitter to add an antelope to the group. You can get that done on your own

Good luck!!

24-Nov-19
Easiest DIY western hunt there is. I LOVE antelope country and spending time there during their rut.

24-Nov-19
Several years ago we chose a unit about an hour south of Douglas. We did a WIH program that the fish and game has with land owners and got a permit with them. All you had to do is get the free permit with fish and game and turn in a tag for each animal harvested. This was so the rancher could be reimbursed so many dollars for each tag. There were five of us and four took lopes including me with a recurve. All of us could have filled our tags but, the last guy got homesick. Great hunt! I cannot imagine not being able to fill a tag with a rifle if you stay with it.

25-Nov-19
I've got max points for Wyoming Antelope and if you have a son or daughter that wants to hunt them I would consider sharing my points for sure.

I have some decent knowledge of Wyoming units.

Good luck, Robb

25-Nov-19
I only have one preference point for this hunt. I know that's going to limit me on public ground. I haven't dug too deep into what units take minimal pref points, but will do so to keep this as an option. I've had a hard time getting outfitters to respond. Have talked with a couple, and sent emails to others. That's why I'm considering just a DIY hunt. Just get out and do some walking.

25-Nov-19
One word of caution, if you do a unit that has unlimited tags, or close, then you will have company. I hunted an area with lots of people. I bowhunted all Sept pretty much by myself, all public land. I knew where to find goats, where I could find them from the truck, from short walks etc. Was lots of fun.

Day before opening day it all changed. tents/campers showed up exactly where I routinely found feeding or bedded goats. Opening rifle morning was a mob. And it all changed. Antelope moved off to private land or at least 1 mile+ from anywhere you could get a truck.

this DRASTICALLY changed patterns. After the first week it very quickly dropped off. Around week 3 it got easier to find goats again, week 4 (last week) they were close to back to their habits.

If you can get onto private or limited draw land DO IT! Otherwise, expect company.

25-Nov-19
Pay the special price and learn to judge. Antelope with a rifle is easy - just a matter of what you hold out for. 1 point will get you a great hunt in WY - lots of tags because there are a lot of lope!

25-Nov-19
HMAs are your friend

25-Nov-19
Go out and bow hunt the last of archery season if that does not work out hunt first few days of rifle.

25-Nov-19
If you are set on rifle, I wouldn't go the opening weekend. Park the truck and walk in a couple ridges, set up and glass. Hunt the areas you can't see from the road. Figure on breaking down the lope and packing out on your back. I can't stand doing the road hunt thing.

25-Nov-19
May as well apply for some RP Doe/fawn tags too as they are dirt cheap

25-Nov-19
The big thing might be drawing a Type 1 tag with only one pref point. I assume that if I were to go with an outfitter on a private ranch, I'd be looking at a Type 2 license which seems more available. Not sure how all that works though. Some of the outfitters I've emailed with say to give them a call if I draw a tag. That kinda leaves me in the wind until the last minute!

25-Nov-19
I’m planning for the same hunt as you are, currently with 2 points. Another option is to look for trespass type hunts. But really wanting more of a diy hunt myself. Been considering hunting/scouting the last few days of archery then picking up the rifle. Onx maps is definitely a huge help in finding public land. Glad I’m not the only one trying to figure this out!

25-Nov-19
You’re best chance with 1 PP is to apply for the special draw For your first time you should look in trespassing fees But if you have the money Outfitters for sure

25-Nov-19
So the other (slight) wrinkle in my plan is that my wife says she'd like to go with me. She's never been further west than Illinois and she'd like to see the mountains. I'm actually tickled that she'd like to go on this trip. She won't be hunting. So if I do a DIY on public ground, I'd either have to have her drop me off and hoof it from there, or leave her stranded in town. BUT, if I could get a goat early, we'd have time to do whatever we want and I could tour her through some of that beautiful country!

25-Nov-19
Pronghorn hunting is probably the easiest, most fun Big Game hunt there is. The wife could easily tag along during the day, give her a pair a binos and a range finder and let her do that.

25-Nov-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Pronghorn was my daughter’s first big game animal. She didn’t have any fun at all as you can tell.

25-Nov-19
I have been to Wyoming a few times know, after my first time on public land I wouldn’t recommend hunting during rifle season on public, I made that mistake once, I hunt on private property know I’ll recommend trespassing fees Book your Hotel as soon you draw the tag

25-Nov-19
Great pic CNELK!

25-Nov-19
I hunted public during rifle season this year. Never saw another hunter.

25-Nov-19
Hey skull, you point about the hotel as soon as I draw a tag is noted. That's what I'm afraid of. I like to plan in advance, and having to scramble after I draw a tag is a concern.

25-Nov-19
Midwest when and where did you hunt? Rifle on our license in an easy to draw unit can be a zoo

25-Nov-19
Wyoming, 5 days after the season opened. 1 or 2 points in the special will draw it. I had two RP doe/fawn tags. Parked the truck and walked in a mile.

25-Nov-19
Cnelk and midwest, what is the RP doe/fawn tag you mention. What does RP stand for?

25-Nov-19
Cnelk and midwest, what is the RP doe/fawn tag you mention. What does RP stand for?

25-Nov-19
Reduced Price. Totally separate draw from the regular draw. No PPs required. All Random

25-Nov-19
By the way don’t forget kneepads Very important to have

25-Nov-19
Good point skull. I hadn't thought about that.

25-Nov-19
I’ll be hunting area 6 Newcastle, if you’re near there I’ll be happy to meet you

25-Nov-19
Skull, if I end up in that northeast corner, I'll let you know. I've heard that corner is great.

25-Nov-19
Definitely wished I'd had knee pads and leather gloves this year!

25-Nov-19
Skull, if I end up in that northeast corner, I'll let you know. I've heard that corner is great.

25-Nov-19

skull's embedded Photo
skull's embedded Photo
There’s a great number of antelopes for sure , at least where I’m hunting, mostly private. Can’t wait to get back there next year, the scenery it’s unbelievable, I always take a detour to see a landmark.

25-Nov-19

BowFly's embedded Photo
BowFly's embedded Photo
I've taken about 1/2 dozen in southeast Wyoming with a rifle and all were on the first day. Toughest part is judging them till you figure it out. This one I convinced myself was 15" until I shot him. Should have held out!

25-Nov-19
My hike in was 1.96 miles dog-leg IAW OnX. I used a Muddy cart for the haul. It took 4 trips because I had to go back to the truck and get the cart. This was out of Broadus. X3 on the knee pads and gloves....those little cactus's are a beast when you're crawling in to position.

I pre-scouted for this hunt. I had a couple of nice herds pin-pointed in one area that was just rolling grass hills. It was a 60-something mile drive to get to it. It was remote enough I didn't think anyone would go to this spot (ya right!). I show up at the gate at 0-dark thirty opening morning. When it got light out I started my hike in only to find out someone had set up camp on a high spot on the road about 1/3 mile from where I parked where they can be seen by the goats in all directions. Needless to say...the goats vanished. Also.....right after the snow storm hit a day before the opener, the neighboring rancher drove his tractor thru the public land I had scouted. I was wondering if he did that to check his livestock (using his tractor!??) that was there or was intentionally pushing the goats and muleys over to his ranch....or both. Either way....I don't think that helped the situation. I ended up getting my goat closer to town. Lesson learned.....

25-Nov-19
Rifle goats are relatively easy unless you’re looking for a giant. As said above, do not forget the knee pads and gloves. Learned that the hard way !

25-Nov-19
I agree with what cnelk said. I have taken my granddaughter pronghorn bowhunting in Wyo. and she had a blast although she did not kill one. If you feel comfortable with the bow, I would recommend giving it a try during the rut for the fun aspect. If you are after a giant (I see that you have some trophy animal rifle kills) , you probably should stick with the rifle. My sons and I have taken a half dozen or more Pope and Young antelope by spot and stalk with our bows but the really big ones would be hard to come by IMO. Good advice from the posts above and good luck with whatever you decide.....Bob

25-Nov-19
Learn gutless and pack them out. It's an easy load to go a ways. One trip, no dragging, they loose hair easy gotta believe a drag results in a bald goat

26-Nov-19
Hey Bob H, I use the gutless method now too. Used to always whitetail hunting with a bunch of guys. Now I hunt by myself. Bought myself a $7 plastic toboggan at the big box store a few years back. Throw the quarters, backstraps, and tenderloins into garbage bags and drag them out on that sled. Works great here in Ohio.

26-Nov-19

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
I'm a lifelong bowhunter to the core, but sure do enjoy a rifle pronghorn hunt now and then. As OTCwill says, it's a "gentleman's hunt". For western residents, its considered bad form to hunt on foot unless you need to get to a shooting spot for one you've spotted from the truck. Get off the road a little and everything changes.

This year I hunted NW CO, got one ridge over from the road, had my pick of bucks and no competition from the truckloads of road hunters. Great fun! Shot this guy at 40 yards (even with a rifle, I seem to have a bowhunting mentality).

30-Nov-19
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Still trying to figure this out. In reviewing the drawing odds for some of the outfitters I picked out, it appears that it would be difficult to draw a tag with only one pref point. I may be forced to do a DIY. Many of you mention that it is not difficult to get into the goats as long as you get a hill or two away from the road. Any recommendations on units where you can draw easily and there are plenty of lopes? I'll do my own homework too, of course. And will also investigate the HMA's.

30-Nov-19
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Still trying to figure this out. In reviewing the drawing odds for some of the outfitters I picked out, it appears that it would be difficult to draw a tag with only one pref point. I may be forced to do a DIY. Many of you mention that it is not difficult to get into the goats as long as you get a hill or two away from the road. Any recommendations on units where you can draw easily and there are plenty of lopes? I'll do my own homework too, of course. And will also investigate the HMA's.

30-Nov-19
Geezus, Lou....that's a beast!

30-Nov-19

ahunter76's embedded Photo
I did my 1st bowhunt trip, DIY, Public at 68. My knees are shot so it's waterhole for me. I've been 5 times now (just this past Sept at age 78). Lots of water so my hunt was a bust but my son & another first timer took Bucks, spot & stalk & my other buddy took a Buck & Doe. We have always had great bowhunting & always public. Draw ids the kicker.

30-Nov-19

As a side note they spotted from dirt roads or 2 tracks where allowed. Stalks were from 20 min & up to 2 hours in our many attempts. My son had 1 miss & then a kill after 6 stalks in 3 days. The other rookie had 2 misses & then a kill the 4th day & many stalk attempts. We saw enough Goats but stalk able situations depend on the terrain.

01-Dec-19
Really no need to pay an outfitter. Look over those drawing odds and pick an area with decent odds for your PP. Lots of talk on other forums about hunting the difficult access areas and it can be done successfully. Take a look over on Hunt Talk. I would also suggest reduced price doe tags, maybe your wife would like to take one. They are a random draw and you can apply for some in a better area for access than your buck tags.

04-Dec-19
Ostrander_Hunter, I live here in Wyoming and know the state pretty dang good. Also know the draw system good. I would be willing to help in any way. Just send me a PM and we'll talk

01-Jan-20
I've bowhunted 4 different units in 5 DIY bowhunts. Anyone know about unit 6 & waterhole access? We are thinking about an Aug opener week if drawn. thanks

01-Jan-20
Hello ahunter76, I have been hunting area 6 for 3 years know, I have been Lucky to find some good private property, 80% is all private you may want to start calling around and trying to find place, Approx. % of Public Land: 22% Access to Public Land: Poor

Access Notes - The majority of antelope hunting occurs on private lands in this hunt area, and securing permission to hunt can be difficult. Trespass fees are the norm. There is limited accessible public land that contains antelope, most of which is on Thunder Basin National Grassland or BLM holdings. However, there are not large contiguous blocks of public land, rather there are a number of small parcels relative to antelope hunting. A GPS or smart phone application with mapping program and landownership delineations is recommended for those attempting to hunt public and State lands. Hunters need to be careful to use only public roads, or private roads with permission, as roads may appear to be public on mapping software when they are in fact private.

01-Jan-20
When people talk about going to difficult access or more remote areas it sounds like more than it is.

Jaquamo Feral’s (haha) story says it all. “Got one ridge over from the road”.

It’s big country out on those flats. It swallows up hunters fast. As soon as you take a ride along a few roads you’ll find out that even though you cross paths with other hunters there are good sized gaps between them.

You can definitely have a blast covering ground and realizing that it’s not as flat as you first thought. Sit and glass when you want, walk and peek over humps when you want. Pretty soon you’ll get better at planning your stalks using the subtle rises and dips for cover. That’s antelope hunting!

But you won’t have to go too far from your truck as the crow flies until you’re actually hunting.

The other thing I like about hunting them is that it’s an all day thing. So it’s ok to stay up a few nights sampling bourbon and talking about the day’s events and sleep in past the crack of dawn.

06-Jan-20
I sent you a private message

• Sitka Gear