IdyllwildArcher 26-Nov-19
12yards 26-Nov-19
Paul@thefort 26-Nov-19
IdyllwildArcher 26-Nov-19
fubar racin 26-Nov-19
Drahthaar 26-Nov-19
320 bull 27-Nov-19
25-Nov-19
Any of you guys have experience with the stainless steel VPAs? Do the regular carbon steel heads rust easily? Wondering if there is any advantage to the stainless heads.

25-Nov-19
My experience with the standard VPAs is that they attract rust like crazy. I won't use them again for this reason. My son has shot them for the past couple years and although I like the head, I don't care for the frequent touching up I have to do to them due to deal with the quickly accumulating rust. He won't be shooting them again after this year.

25-Nov-19
Iv only shot the carbons for a year but no issues with rust or anything else actually so I’ll be sticking with them.

25-Nov-19

bdfrd24v's embedded Photo
I've shot the 150g solid carbon head for a few years now. I really like them. The only time I seem to have rust issues if I don't clean them off quickly after a kill. If you leave blood on there for a while it seems to spot up the finish on the ferrule more than any issue on the edge itself.

This head has killed a few deer and a coyote. Its last kill it buried 10" in the dirt and just a quick touch-up on the stone and it was better than new.

25-Nov-19
No issues with rust on the carbon steel heads. I like them as they sharpen easy and are very tough. Never liked the thought of a stainless head. Shawn

25-Nov-19
I also use the carbon steel 150 grn without issues. A wipe with a q tip with about anything on it will keep the rust at bay. I like the way they sharpen and suspect they would outperform the SS version in all classes except being "rust proof".

25-Nov-19
Thanks for the input guys!

25-Nov-19
Yes touching them up is no biggie and the beauty is you can target shoot with them during the season even take a shot as you head out to hunt giving you that confidence. They never rusted up too bad on me and touching up was never an issue. You will go through targets fast though! haha

25-Nov-19
Interesting that I had this problem and nobody else here did. Nobody? I know I've heard others complain about this... I had heard it, but assumed it was exaggerated quite a bit. Nope, not for me at least.

25-Nov-19
Sharpie over exposed edge and no rusting

25-Nov-19

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
BH sticking out front rt shoulder.
BH sticking out front rt shoulder.
All I know about the all steel 125 gr VPA is that it went in behind the far last rib and came out the opposite front right shoulder. Elk down in 30 yards. Enough said. I just resharpened it for the next go around. my best, Paul

25-Nov-19
Yes they definitely can “rust” or oxidize while sitting in the quiver and out in the weather, as you would sorta expect with any plain carbon steel head. Keeping a light coating of protectant on the edges helps a lot. I’ve also used the stainless version. As best I can tell the only potential disadvantage of the stainless would be a concern that they don’t take or hold an edge as well. So far I have not found that to be the case. Therefore I’ll probably stick with the stainless version once I’ve used my supply of plain steel ones. The stainless is not offered in all of the sizes and styles yet I don’t think.

25-Nov-19
I want to try the SS heads just for this reason. I've had them rust pretty "good".

25-Nov-19
Scoot, my experience is they rust like crazy as well.

25-Nov-19
I got away from them largely due to the rust issue. Yeah, you can resharpen, or the sharpie thing, or oil, or whatever, but there are excellent choices for heads out there that I don’t have to do any of that stuff to. Easy decision for me, I was one season and done.

—jim

25-Nov-19
The last couple years I've used 100 and 125 grain NAP Hellrazors. Does anyone know if these are stainless or carbon? I've not had rust issues with them at all. I like that head design that is why I inquired about the VPA heads. I think the VPAs are better built and was thinking of transitioning to them from the Hellrazors.

25-Nov-19
12 yards check out snuffer SS. Great head that’s similar to the hell razor but much better quality, no rust for me on the snuffer plus can’t beat there warranty.

25-Nov-19
I use the unvented 150s and my wife shoots the unvented 125s for many years. After sharpening/touch-up, I rub a little chap stick on the edges. Haven't had any rusting.

25-Nov-19
Very minimal upkeep and maintenance during the sharpening stage and you still have the strongest BH on the market in your quiver. Been in some nasty rainstorms and just wiped them down after with little to zero rust issues ever. Been shooting them for more than a decade now and don't plan on changing anytime soon for something easier but less quality. They are tough, period and that is what I want punching an elk. I like Ziek's thought of a little unscented chap stick on the edge. Might have to try it, but like I said it's a very slight if that issue ever that is easily cleaned up.

25-Nov-19
5 years plus and have not had any sign of rust in the 4 that stay in my quiver... I do lube them up before they go in the quiver, but i did that to any broadhead I ever used.

25-Nov-19
I bought 6 of the vented this year and after the 1st week of elk season all of them were rusted pretty badly.

25-Nov-19
Most of the broadheads I use are carbon steel. Been doing the chapstick trick for many years. Still can get a bit of rust if they get really wet but simple enough to touch up. Just part of the fun:-)

26-Nov-19
They do rust if they get bloody or rained on.

They’re such a good head though. What other head can you shoot into tundra and pick it up and shoot it into an animal right after? Not any of the razor blade heads.

Before a midwestern or western hunt, I will sharpen and then put some olive oil on a paper towel and that’s enough to keep them from rusting.

Back country for sheep/goats, after a few days, your forehead is oily enough to rub your fingers across it and on the blades once to keep them from rusting.

If they’re staying rusted, you’re not sharpening them...

26-Nov-19
Ike how often do they need to be sharpened? I'd have to sharpen them every other week here. Also, if wasn't just the blades that rusted- every part of the broadhead except the threads that were screwed into the insert were rusted. Some had lots of rust on ther ferrule.

26-Nov-19
I've always shot a carbon steel type of broadhead. Snuffers, Woodsman, Zwickey, and now VPA's. I smear a thin coat of petrolium jelly on them. Never had a rust issue.

26-Nov-19
Well, I think I'm going to buy myself an early Christmas present and get me some 125 grain vented VPAs. Especially since I wrecked one of my Hellrazors yesterday. Give me something to play around with and shred my Glen Del with this winter.

26-Nov-19
I’ve been using the 175 grain non-vented with a small diameter shaft (Black Eagle Deep Impact). Talk about deep penetration! Since they are solid they do not catch on any meat or bone like a vented will and just slide right by. Plus no friction on the shaft since it is thinner than the head. Shot a good sized deer last eve and put that head through the spine and buried the arrow to the fletch. Still sharp and no need for a follow up shot as the deer was dead in seconds.

Lee

26-Nov-19
I have not had any issues with them and rust. I have 125 gr solid 3 blade and 175 gr 2 blade. That being said, I live in Colorado, little to no humidity, and not much of anything rusts here.

26-Nov-19
Scoot, if not shot and not taken on a sheep hunt, I've only had to sharpen them once a season. Yes, they will rust in the insert and stick in the arrow. You have to coat that part too before screwing it in and you won't have problems. Just once for the season.

The only thing that needs repeating is the exposed cutting edge in a very humid/rainy situation. I rub my fingers on my neck/forehead and go across the exposed surface of my heads on sheep hunts about every 3-5 days and don't have any problems.

I shot a doe a few weeks ago and because I'd shot two does and missed a buck, I was out of arrows when I tracked the second doe. I grabbed one of my arrows that was stuck in the dirt, found the other doe which was in it's last gasps, and shot it point blank, sending the arrow into the dirt a second time. When I pulled it out, you couldn't even tell the blade had gone through a deer and into dirt twice and I could have shot a 3rd deer with it.

This is why I shoot VPAs. Razorblade heads will just not put up with this abuse and the penetration is amazing. My low poundage setup breaks bones that I never did when I shot Muzzy's (which look like you've been ramrodding it like a muzzleloader into a bucket of gravel for 10 minutes after just going through a couple ribs).

26-Nov-19
Idyll, what is your low pouundage setup? Just curious. I'm shooting a couple 50 pound Elites at 29.5".

26-Nov-19
PECO, x2 as I live in Colorado also-- no issues with rust.

26-Nov-19
52#

26-Nov-19
I figure if I lived somewhere that it was super humid and the deer were the size of dogs I’d probably stick with muzzy or something like that but if it’s dry or the game gets decent sized I’ll deal with the possibility that my vpa’s might rust if I neglect them. Hell iron wills will rust if ya neglect them and their what 3 times the cost of vpa?

26-Nov-19
I have been shooting VPA 175 grain no vented for quite a while, they are absolute the best head I have ever shot , that is over 50 years of bow hunting. So what's the big deal take a sharpie coat the blades and go hunting, I had 1 head that I killed 25 animals with before I lost it . Haven't shot the SS, so don't no what to tell you. Forrest

27-Nov-19
25 animals that is nuts!! I was up to 5 before I curled the tip on a 150 grn VPA busting through a shoulder blade. They are a great head

• Sitka Gear