Brotsky 27-Nov-19
altitude sick 27-Nov-19
Brotsky 27-Nov-19
Grubby 28-Nov-19
Huntiam 28-Nov-19
Paul@thefort 29-Nov-19
tembow 04-Dec-19
26-Nov-19
I'm always looking to improve my clothing for deer hunting. Currently, my system is solid but I think I can improve on the lower half of my body. For cold days I usually wear multiple layers of long underwear. I have a number of pairs and will put 5-6 layers on then put my heavy bibs on over them. I usually wear a pair or two in and then dress at the base of my tree. My question is, what are you guys wearing under your heavy camo bibs?

26-Nov-19
Heavy merino wool base layer, down and wool outer is my layering in a nutshell. Works for the birds and animals. Has worked well for me.

26-Nov-19
If you need that many base layers then you need to upgrade your bibs.

One merino wool base layer, and a par of pants to walk in. Get in the tree and slide into my sitka fanatic bibs. Good down to minus 5 so far in them.

26-Nov-19
That’s a lot of underwear! I wear one pair and my fanatic bibs. -25C and colder I’ll go 2 pairs. I’m talking heavier weight synthetic long underwear

26-Nov-19
Sounds like you are due for an upgrade. Just a heads up. First Lite is having their big sale starting this morning at 9am MST.

26-Nov-19
I would say my bibs are 10 years old. They are Cabelas brand. Like I mentioned, I wear a light pair in and then put on the others for a total of 5-6 layers of long underwear.

26-Nov-19
What does first lite have that compares to the fanatics?

26-Nov-19
Nothing in terms of fabric but my cousin says the sanctuary is warm and quiet enough.

26-Nov-19
The sanctuary system is spot on. Warmest gear I own. On sale today!

26-Nov-19
Get yourself some quality long johns like a First Lite merino wool base layer. Throw on fleece wader liner pants....mine are 400 gram....and you are set. The wader liners have a slim fit, elastic waist band and cuffs that don`t add a ton of bulk. Most are camo and you can wear then for the walk in.

Not to mention they are inexpensive.

26-Nov-19
I wear a mid-weight merino base layer and Kuiu attack pants under a First Lite Sanctuary bib pant. Works awesome down to -10, haven't used it yet colder than that.

26-Nov-19
I've heard great things about the Sanctuary bibs and the furnace long johns for really cold weather

26-Nov-19
You might also look at some down pants to wear under the bibs, as twinetickler eluded to. I wear only a merino base layer top and bottom when walking into the stand, then I put the rest of my clothes on once I get there as to not get all sweated up. My system on the bottom is: a merino base layer, Kuiu puffy down pants, Cabelas polar fleece pants and finally the Fanatic bibs. I put the polar fleece on over the puffys. It makes them pretty quiet.

26-Nov-19
Heater body suit

26-Nov-19
No wonder you want to improve - that's crazy! With either Fanatic or Sanctuary bibs you need maximum one warm base layer and a pair of sweat pants. That will get you down to 0 Fahrenheit for very long sits.

26-Nov-19
There is a very good sale going on right now at first lite right now, I just ordered a new sanctuary jacket

26-Nov-19
I have enough trouble getting at my pecker with one pair of long undies on to take a wizz. Can't imagine having to go thru 5 more layers! At my age, if that was the case I'd never get it out in time! ;-)

26-Nov-19
Have had sanctuary its warm but no wind stopper and fabric isn't heavy duty in thick cover buy fanatic warmer and more durable I've sat in -5 with long John's and pants under fanatic and was warm

26-Nov-19
EXACTLY, Scoot! Especially when it's in the single digits! ;-)

26-Nov-19
Kind of reminds me of when I was a kid going hunting in temps probably single digit. 2 layers of the white long johns, jeans, maybe another layer of jeans, flannel shirt, sweatshirt, one piece snowmobile suit, orange sweatshirt over that. 2-3 pairs of socks and some crappy wore out felt lined pack boots That was 40 years ago, I guess some still do it that way

26-Nov-19
I used to fight the same battle with all the layers and I usually still got cold. I bought a heater body suit and haven't been cold since. And that is saying something because I get cold easily. Its upped my time in the stand as well. Hands down best piece of gear I ever bought.

26-Nov-19
Probably should just wear the lighter stuff mentioned on the way in, and invest in a Heater Body Suit or IWOM bag. These are life savers! Worth every dime. Fanatic stuff is nice but does nothing to keep your feet warm.

26-Nov-19

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo

26-Nov-19
Sitka incinerator will solve you endless layering problem

26-Nov-19
That many pairs of thermals may be cutting off your circulation and at worst sounds pretty uncomfortable. For super cold days I have a couple pairs of really good and well fitted fleece base layer bottoms. One pair of those and well insulated bibs seems to work pretty good. I also have a pair of the Smartwool heavy bottoms that are probably just as warm as the fleece and maybe a bit more comfortable. I would try switching to possibly better quality base layers and see if that works.

26-Nov-19
my long days in a tree are over BUT when I was younger every Saturday I'd pull all day sits in the mountain & it usually paid off & I had some cabelas wind blocker bibs that were great not that bulky a little noisy but I'd sit all day in comfort. I'd walk up the mountain in sweatpants & te shirt. then get dressed. also it sucks going up the mountain wearing them but I wore felt lined Pac boots as well 12 hours in a hang on is tough with cold feet. I hunted hard when i was younger & loved every minute of it

26-Nov-19
LMBO Brotsky! I probably have that same look on my face! ;-)

26-Nov-19

JL's Link
I'm across the pond from you. I use my Predator insulated fall grey pattern for most all of my cold weather hunting. They're located in Wisconsin. They ain't cheap but they are excellent. I have a cool and cold weather onesy that we would wear under our dry suits when flying. I still have them and they make a great under liner. Sometimes it gets a little too warm when wearing a onesy and insulated Predator camo. What I like the most is the camo I have is very quiet. It doesn't make any noise when drawing your bow.

27-Nov-19
in my 60's now and stayed in the stand some days 10-12 hours this year, I am one of those guys that likes cotton socks and cotton long underwear with wool socks on top. I found a light vest under my predator winter jacket to keep the shoulders warm helps. The best thing I have found is the Hush Cover for the stand platform, has camo fleece bottom and wool top the wool gathers sunlight and helps keep your feet warm, plus you can move around on your stand in silence.

27-Nov-19
How is the Predator stuff for picking up burrs?

27-Nov-19
Picks 'em up great! haha real good stuff but the "pickies" stick to it. My Predator coat going on 25 years old been through a lot.

27-Nov-19
I have an oversized pair of Sitka Kelvin pants that can be put on over the top of the pants I walk in wearing and under my bibs for cold days. A lot of warm for very little weight and they compress well in my pack.

27-Nov-19
OP, Answer LOIN!

27-Nov-19
Beggar's lice sticks to pretty much everything but some stuff it is impossible to pull them off. If the fleece is not a real deep nap, I can deal with the little bastards. Gives me something to do in the stand. :-)

27-Nov-19
I recently told my buddy I was hunting with "my pickie pants are full up" - he said its now a natural camo...and I agree gives me something to do picking them off...

27-Nov-19
“It gives me something to do in the stand”

I’d prefer texting, reading,.....doing my taxes, or even getting my teeth cleaned, to picking out those friggen preacher’s lice. The little pitchforks are almost as bad.

27-Nov-19
I purchased a set of under armor cold gear about 10years ago & that stuff works much better than standard long underwear & its perfect for tree stand hunting. I've never tried the merino wool stuff but i dont' need too either because the UA works so well. Down to 0 degrees i'll wear my UA Cold gear base layer with jeans, a hoodie & my 2003 Cabelas Gore-Tex MT050 coveralls & muck artic boots. Sometimes i'll wear sweat pans over my jeans if its below zero & windy.

27-Nov-19
I don't get burrs on Predator outfit. Of course I don't see alot of burrs either. Another good plus is it wicks the moisture away from your body. I've been covered in snow sitting thru a blizzard but never got wet.

27-Nov-19
First Lite...no burs, no beggars lice. Just dead bucks :-)

27-Nov-19
I have this nylon pad thing that swipes the burrs right off. I forget what it’s called

27-Nov-19
^^^ Burr Paw? Been thinking about getting one for pheasant hunting. Man I get into some junk sometimes.

28-Nov-19

Grubby's embedded Photo
Grubby's embedded Photo
You’re right, it doesn’t come in predator, but it does come in cipher which looks pretty good to me. Last weekend I had 56 Deer 10-50 yards from me while I was wearing solid blaze orange so maybe the pattern isn’t really all that important.

28-Nov-19
Sweat pants sweat shirt heater body suit wouldn’t hunt without it

29-Nov-19
Farther down the "lower body" are your feet. If there is one thing that may become cold first is the feet depending on the boots one might be wearing but most often, regardless of the boot, the coldness from the metal stand, will migrate into the boots and cause cold feet and discomfort. To lessen this migration of cold from the metal, I place a mat of rubber truck bed liner on the floor of the stand and this halts the cold to the boots thus keeping the feet and the lower body warmer. And then what all others stated. The mat, I do the same while ice fishing. my best, Paul

04-Dec-19
There is a product called the Hush Cover which is made of camo fleece- bottom side, and wool - top side. It makes your stand silent and keeps your feet warm from the wool top. Also the camo hides movement from being seen. Pivoting on the stand without mud, snow, ice falling from your boots hitting the ground .. they are designed for the stand and an absolute game changer.

• Sitka Gear