standswittaknife 28-Nov-19
Surfbow 29-Nov-19
BowhuntKS 29-Nov-19
Busta'Ribs 30-Nov-19
26-Nov-19

standswittaknife's Link
Wow!

26-Nov-19
I'm betting there's more to this story than an attack. Maybe she surprised them and they ran under her legs or something, making her fall? Very odd, and sad too.

26-Nov-19
Wow is right! First time I've heard of feral hogs killing a person. I can see how it cold happen for sure.

26-Nov-19
Some guy in Vancouver killed a person several years ago, and threw him into his hog pen, for the hogs to eat him up, in an attempt to cover up the murder. Hogs will kill and eat humans.

26-Nov-19
There coming from Canada?

26-Nov-19
I agree with Embry....it`s not like she was purposely attacked by a group of hogs. Strange accident.

26-Nov-19
Aaaaaand PigDoc for the mike drop!

26-Nov-19
People who don’t live in “hog country” really have no idea. Hogs are like any other animal, in that they have different personalities. We’ve all seen bucks that get broken up as soon as the season starts and we see others that never break a tine. Some are scrappers, some are not, and size doesn’t always make the difference. Same with hogs, some will run away at the first sight or smell of man, some won’t. My son was searching for a wounded hog just a couple weeks ago, a sow, and the boar that was with her charged him in the brush. Luckily my son is a good shot and shot the boar in the head at about 20 feet. That’s not the only encounter we’ve had with hogs that didn’t want to give way. I don’t walk to my stand in the dark anymore without a handgun and it’s usually equipped with a weapon light and in my hand. I had a stand-off with one last fall and my flashlight was much too weak to get the job done. He finally eased off the trail into the brush but it was a tense couple of minutes when he wouldn’t move off. A 200 lb. boar hog with 2”/3” cutters can hurt you, and hurt you badly.

27-Nov-19
Kill. Them. All.

27-Nov-19
Some call them poor mans grizzly

27-Nov-19
I've heard even hogs as livestock can be nasty! Had someone tell me whenever they went into their hog pen there was one (BIG one) you never wanted to turn your back on and ALWAYS be ready to run for the fence!

27-Nov-19
Back in 2003; 2 Michigan hunters from the Detroit area were murdered outside a bar in Mio Michigan......... The murderers were a couple of ass backwards brothers..... They fed the murdered hunters to their hogs. A book was written about this true story.

Edit. My bad. The crime occurred in 1985. It was finally solved in 2003.

27-Nov-19
Chris? Jimmy Hoffa?

:-)

27-Nov-19
There is a reason the old country saying, " Feed 'em to the Hogs." exists.

27-Nov-19
And yet, the cost of a hog hunt is crazy expensive.

27-Nov-19
Big Bear, what is the name of the book?

27-Nov-19
My grandpa raised hogs all his life. Before confinement operations, he made a lot of money doing it. My grandmother kept me and my cousins a lot, and we spent the majority of our time outside playing. My grandma always told us, "Don't get into that hog pen. Those hogs will eat you!"

Man I'm still afraid of hogs :)

27-Nov-19
Darker Than Night by Tom Henderson.... I actually pulled up those guys prison pictures some years ago.... What a couple of creepers. The book talks about them having a dirt floor inside their house and having hogs in the house. They had a junkyard in their family and crushed the car of the hunters. The only way they got caught was bragging about it and threatening to kill other people and feed them to the hogs like they did to the hunters.

27-Nov-19
All farm/wild animals are mean and can/will kill you if they so decide. Only animals bred for companionship like dogs and cats give a crap whether we live or die and even cats will eat their owners if they die and they’re hungry and people are killed by dogs all the time. My clinic back in CA took care of the local dairy workers and they were constantly getting injured from intentional kicks and stomps from the cows.

All animals, human included, have individuals who are mean and are murderers.

27-Nov-19
Ever have an owl look you in the eye? I guarantee you they would routinely kill us if they could.

27-Nov-19
I agree with Ike. If you ever saw the way my dog looked at me when I missed a bird you would definitely see murder in his eyes! :-)

27-Nov-19

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
This boar kept looking at me as he zig-zagged through a briar patch behind my stand. I noticed the surly look in his eyes and it was saying... "when you get down, I'm eating you mf'er." So i killed him.

27-Nov-19
They are an invasive species here in Michigan..... Escaped from high fence hunting operations...... The DNR was asking hunters to shoot them on sight several years ago.....

27-Nov-19
I don't think animals are mean. They just don't behave according to emotions the way humans do. Animals behave mainly on instinct. Their thought process would look something like this: Can I have sex with it? Can I eat it? Well then if it doesn't get out of my way I will try to kill it.

After consideration not that much different from some people I know!

27-Nov-19
I think “aggressive” is probably the better term…

But don’t kid yourself about house cats… If they weighed 60 pounds they would eat small children routinely.

27-Nov-19
Just another anecdote: Several years ago my son trapped several hogs in a box trap. He killed and butchered the sow and kept seven piglets, built a pen and fed them out. From the time they got a few months old six had become just like domestic pigs but one did not. That one boar had to be rapped on the nose with a hoe handle every time he fed them just to keep him from biting my son on the leg. We encounter hogs constantly here in East .texas, and at times I think we have more hogs than deer, but I think it may be just because they roam in large sounders and move around a lot foraging for grubs, roots, snails, snakes, lizards, toads, anything they can eat. And they will literally eat any damn thing that doesn’t eat them first. When a hog gets to be fifty or sixty pounds his only fear is man. A 35/40 lb. coyote can’t hurt him much. Even dead they’re too tough for a coyote to eat until they’ve “melted down” for a couple days. By the time he’s 150 lb. he is the master of his world except for a bigger boar or a human with a weapon. I once shot a 200 lb. boar a little too far back with a .300 WSM and knocked him down. He made the most awful sound I’ve heard before or since. If I’d heard that sound at night in the woods I promise I’d have crapped down both legs. It was that scary. He got back up on his front legs and dragged himself into the woods, I got back in my truck and drove the 200 yards down to where he was, then traded that scoped .300 for my old Winchester 94 in .32 Win. Special to trail him into the brush. I saw the wine colored blood and knew he was liver shot. I noticed that in about 20 yards there were no more drag marks from his back legs. He was on all four feet ! I trailed him about 20/25 more yards and saw where he crossed a creek with a 6’/8’ bank on my side and a10’/12’ bank on the other. That’s where I stopped. I was already on my neighbor’s property, who I did not know, and I was willing to go off bounds if I could see him, but not if I couldn’t. A few days later I was in a bow blind about 150 yards from where I shot him and saw a bunch of buzzards fly out of the neighbor’s place about even with my blind. I knew it was the hog I shot, and that he had crossed that creek, climbed that bank, and still went 150 yards after being smacked through the liver with a .300 ?WSM. . My Daddy had a saying, “tougher than a boar hog”. It fits.

27-Nov-19
Was treed by Feral hogs in 1978, Northern MN. There were 8 in the group, good thing there was a old permanent stand we were able to get into. MN DNR and locals swore up and down no such thing as Feral Hogs that part of MN. BS pretty sure if we had not hightailed it to the trees once we first saw them would have been a goner. My buddy didn't understand my concern until I told him the story from grandpa about farm pigs eating people who didn't belong in the pen or took safety for granted. Aggressive animal is an understatement and dead is dead no matter how they get you.

27-Nov-19
My great grandpa told my dad that you never get on the same side of the fence with a hog... I’ve never had a chance to try my luck with that.... and I’ve never had a mind to question his judgment.

27-Nov-19
You guys are making me think what I did in high school wasn't very smart. We used to have wild hogs about 15 miles west of my place. I was out driving around and seen a big hog go in a weed choked waterway. All I had was 10/22. So I walked out there and got ahead of him. Waited on him to come thru the weeds to me. He was less than 10ft away when I could see him. Shot him in the head and he dropped right there, kicked around for a while and it was over. It probably helped I knew where to shoot him at. Cant shoot them between the eyes with a .22, it won't get them. You have to make an "X" from ears and eyes and shoot them there.

27-Nov-19
We made a living tracking wounded feral hogs for our clients, nearly every night for over twenty years. We've had a few scary incidents, but nothing like the time I climbed into a pen full of domestic pigs at a family members pork operation when I was younger.They were cute little buggers and looked harmless, so I sat down on the floor to play with them. They weren't aggressive in the least bit, but were very curious. One started chewing on my shoelaces, another on my sleeves and the next thing you know, they started biting my arms and legs. They wouldn't let go of my clothing and I discovered that I could no longer stand up with a dozen 30 pound piglets hanging on to me. If it weren't for the fact that I was sitting against the pen rails, I believe I would not have been able to pull myself out of that pen. By the time I got put of there I was bruised over most of my body and had several puncture wounds, and my clothing was nothing more then tattered rags. Nobody could hear me screaming over all the squealing piglets in the barn. It was a stupid, but valuable lesson that I learned that day in the pig barn! -Cheryl

27-Nov-19
Cheryl and Doug thank you for sharing.

Grandpa also told me Pigs are like politicians and shouldn't be trusted.. :0

28-Nov-19

Tradman and Huntress's Link
I used to enjoy sharing this news article around the campfire (see link).

Then one day I realized that we were getting called out to track nearly every single hog that was shot. I decided that leaving an old pair of dentures lying in the road back to camp wasn't such a great prank after all.

28-Nov-19
There are quite a few known stories where people have fed their victims to domestic pigs. But the "Butcher" or Pork Chop Rob took the cake. He was a pig farmer in Canada killed/raped 49 women and fed them all to his hogs before being caught in the 1990's.

28-Nov-19
Ironically, the county seat of Chambers County was moved from Wallisville to Anuhuac (where the attack occurred) in 1908 because the residents of Wallisville wouldn't control their hogs and let them run wild in town.

28-Nov-19

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
Think this bugger couldn’t rip you a new one ?

28-Nov-19
I’m thinking ole Ken Moody could chime in on this first hand!

29-Nov-19
We caught a wild piglet by hand once, which was an absolute riot. When that little sucker grew up a bit it got aggressive, you could go in the barnyard with it if you constantly stuck out a boot to push it back. Eventually it grew to about 100lbs and grew some little cutters though, and got too mean for that game. Then one day it killed and ate the big domestic tom turkey they kept out there with it, leaving just a few white feathers, and my buddy's mom decided that was enough of the 'wild pig experiment'.

29-Nov-19
Some of our best campfire story material when hunting Shiloh is about the hogs growling at you when walking back to camp in the dark. Never heard the denture story, but I might need to find an old pair before the next hunt.

30-Nov-19
I guess I’ve just been lucky, but I’ve been hog hunting for 25 years and all they ever do when they spot me is run away! Honestly, after countless close encounters on the ground (most of my hunts are spot/stalk) with wild hogs I can only recall one time where a hog was actually aware I was there and didn’t wheel out of the country, and that was a sow bedded up in a cedar thicket with a bunch of piglets. She just aggressively grunted at me as I gave her a wide berth, skirting her to get to some young boars that were in the same group she was with. But I do recall one crazy rancher from Texas that caught a piglet and threw it in the bed of his pickup. Thing was no bigger than a football, but as wild as a cougar, and I promise it would have ripped out your jugular if you have it the chance.

• Sitka Gear