Bowmann94 17-Jan-20
Trad PA 18-Jan-20
The last savage 18-Jan-20
Shuteye 18-Jan-20
Bowmann94 18-Jan-20
Highlife 18-Jan-20
Bowmann94 19-Jan-20
26-Nov-19
So planning a sika day Maryland hunt. It’s going to hopefully be a October rut split trip half bow half muzzleloader. Going to try to do it in fishing bay WMA. Mainly wondering if I can use boats with motors inside WMAs in Maryland??? I know Minnesota where I am you can’t. Also open to any advice and love a good hunting story on sikas. I posted this on the Maryland forum but it seemed pretty dead so figured I’d ask here to. Thanks in advance

26-Nov-19
Thanks stick and string... just downloaded the app it’s great?? I just looked at a few places I didn’t even know what there that’s really cool. Wish MN had an app like that. So looking at a few areas most say best viewed by boat then list a boat ramp near by, so sounds like you can use a boat with a motor? Also says no motor vehicles on trails so i think that only applies to land? Thanks again great tip.

26-Nov-19
Meat eater has a couple episodes they just released of Sika hunting. Might check that out if you haven't already. On Netflix.

26-Nov-19
Thanks stick and string... just downloaded the app it’s great?? I just looked at a few places I didn’t even know what there that’s really cool. Wish MN had an app like that. So looking at a few areas most say best viewed by boat then list a boat ramp near by, so sounds like you can use a boat with a motor? Also says no motor vehicles on trails so i think that only applies to land? Thanks again great tip.

26-Nov-19
bring a THEMACELL

26-Nov-19
Bring 2 Thermacells trust me lol.

26-Nov-19
Howd you do bowman? Fishing bay and 94 degrees, 9 ft tall reeds,,endless water. kicked my ass.. but it was a good time, chalk it up as a learning experience,, going back next year..

26-Nov-19
Yeah it was the meat eater episodes that kinda inspired this hunt. And yeah I’ve definitely read bring a thermacell or 2 lol.... in all honesty if Maryland’s tags wasn’t so reasonable, and they where an exotic deer I probably wouldn’t consider it but these things sure are cool lol. I maybe will never be able to afford an elk hunt but for everything it’s going to cost me less then most elk tags alone.

26-Nov-19
Join this website....these guys will know.

https://marylandwhitetail.websitetoolbox.com/categories

26-Nov-19
Jl is correct. Thats a good site with a lot of sika warriors on there,, i had a few help me as well...

26-Nov-19
Your not gonna get alot of straight forward answers from locals to maryland like myself besides just go hunt which that annoys me cause were all hunters we should help each other out. Boats can be used in any body of water in fishing bay, no four wheelers on public land. If your gonna be focusing on fishing bay area give chance island a look or take a long boat ride on island creek and get in some real good public on north end of it. Utilize phone apps like onx or even you google maps to zoom in and see the trails itll help when picking a stand location

27-Nov-19
Thanks chasintheslam that’s great information. Yeah seeing how it’s mainly water and where I’m planning on camping is right across the Nanticoke River it’s definitely a shorter ride by boat then by car. Will definitely look at chance island and island creek. So is it safe to assume they prefer trees surrounded by marsh that’s what most of that habitat looks like on google? So tree islands should be a good place to start With trails through the marsh? So I know sika respond to calling to some degree what about scent do whitetail doe in heat scents work? Decoys?

27-Nov-19
I wouldnt waste your time with scents and decoys honestly and yea tree clusters are a great thing to look for to sit from my experience

27-Nov-19
What is your boat set up? We use a 14' jon boat with a longtail on Blackwater, but we can't launch off of a trailer. Fishing Bay can be bigger water, but it will get shallow pretty quick, an outboard might take a beating! Also, you said this hunt will be cheaper than a elk hunt, that is true, but I bet you don't go just once! The marsh is addicting! Good Luck!

27-Nov-19
I've been to Md. twice bowhunting them. 1 time was great but right after I had had a shoulder operation & "missed". 2nd time was kinda border of Sika/Whitetail area & no Sika, just Whitetails close. My son did arrow one & a friend that lives there has taken several with Bow & Muzzleloader. Our 1st trip they were bugeling, wallows. I've hunted Elk many times & hearing them is pretty much the same. Good Luck. 1 time the bugs were terrible & the other not bad.. My hunts were 1st week of Oct..

27-Nov-19
Not exactly sure on boat yet.... we have 7 guys interested in going, but I’m betting at least 3 drop out. So the boat depends if my cousin goes he’s got all the toys, redneck ugly beat up toys but they work well enough... if he goes we’d probably use his John boat and a few canoes/kayaks for stealthing into place. The mud motor is definitely a good point we mainly use outboards here....

28-Nov-19
Are you allowed to party hunt in Maryland? As in one hunter uses another’s tag? In mn that’s legal as long as both hunters are licensed and in the same tract of land actively hunting. I’ve read the ereglations and didn’t see it but I could have missed it. I know you have to register your deer and they recommend you do it at kill sight so you don’t have to lose tags on a drag. I wish mn had a similar system there’s always a slight fear that I’ll lose a tag on a drag.

28-Nov-19
Went last year to MD after 3 years of research on sika deer. 5 day hunt, killed a stag and a hind with archery tackle. Scout, scout, scout. Find the sign and hunt it. THERMACELL! And bug spray. Chest waders are essential too, and a bright headlamp. They’re a riot to hunt. Good luck!!

28-Nov-19
It’s been many years since I hunted Fishing Bay and Blackwater. Took a Sika or two (but no big stags) and remember it being a tremendous challenge - vast territory, most of it marsh and many sections choked with phragmite grass and greenbrier thickets. Been fascinated with the discussion of apps to help navigate this maze - sure would have helped. Anyone taking a trophy stag with an arrow sure has earned some braggin rights.

28-Nov-19

Junior's embedded Photo
Junior's embedded Photo
It's the elk of the east!

28-Nov-19

Junior's embedded Photo
Junior's embedded Photo

28-Nov-19

Junior's embedded Photo
Junior's embedded Photo

28-Nov-19

bill v's embedded Photo
bill v's embedded Photo
Bowmann94. Go to the Pa site. Page down to Sika, notes from the swamp. There’s a guy over there (Bill v) ;) that does a thread each time I go down :). Something to read. Can’t tell you much about fishing bay, never been in there. Here are some general rules: 1. You can’t be too far out into marsh 2. Go to last tree out in marsh, then go one more tree :) 3. Leave all your whitetail knowledge at home, it will only help you fail or waste hunting days until you figure that out 4. If you must hunt in woods or partial woods, find woods that are surrounded by swamp, they may cross through areas like that

28-Nov-19
More: 5. If you find open Frag, with young frag, green 1 to 3 feet tall check for browsing. If browsing and droppings (floating, round) hunt there. 6. If you hear whistling in the same area more then one day, consider moving in that direction( if possible)

7. If you come to Sika Hunt, once will not be enough, be prepared to come back

28-Nov-19
Another thought about hunting in Maryland. The chiggers are unreal and will tear your ankles/legs up and their ticks seem to carry Lyme more so than other places.

28-Nov-19
So these guys really are just frolicking out in the marsh lol? Do they bed on semi dry land? Or are these guys bedding in water to? Bill v I read you’re post great hunt by the way cool read. Junior those are some cool trail camera pics.... that stag is what haunts me in my dreams lol exactly like what I want to shoot. You guys are great by the way really love all this information, without out you guys I’d be going in nearly blind. Ps frag is that tall white headed grass right? So they eat young green frag over other browse? I’ve hunted whitetail in swamps but this is starting to sound more like a duck hunt lol. Can I shoot big game from a canoe In Maryland? In mn you can as long as there’s no motor. Probably won’t work anyway considering how thick the marsh grass looks in the pictures I’ve seen.

29-Nov-19
Good Jacob. It sounds like your listening. Frag? Tall swamp grass, cat tail, Fragmitie (sp?). Do they bed in woods/ semi dry? I guess sometimes, they feel safe in the frag, bed on island, clumps of frag and around trees where there is a one foot dia mud spot. I have seen sikas bed on weed clumps in open water. You’ll see woods in my text and pics, it took me a long time to identify productive wood patches or sections to hunt. Your best bet is to be out in the marsh. Another thing to look for(To Start) maybe look for connector swamps and sit there. A narrow swamp connecting larger swamps

Again, leave your whitetail knowledge home

29-Nov-19
What kind of trees should I expect so I know what kind of stands to bring. It looks like fairly straight pines in the pictures I’ve seen. I guess it comes down to should we plan on climbers or hang one? Hang on stands are more versatile for brushy trees but if the trees are clean then the climbers get the nod.

01-Dec-19
It’s a personal preference. Loblolly pines are pretty straight and are climbable. These trees shed bark easily and do make some noise. I prefer hang on but, I know where I want to be and can move easily anyway. Maybe some boat hunters will chime in for you, I’ve never hunted from boats. If you can get on islands I imagine that would be a good start

09-Dec-19
I like both...if you have the wind in your favor for your spot the entire hunt then the hang on is best. The marsh can be like walking through snow. Its tough just carrying a bow at times so walking to a hangon is nice! However being mobile hunting new and different area's is huge imo.

10-Dec-19

ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
If you see a 4x4 this size you better shoot:)

17-Jan-20
Lol definitely he’s pretty. I just love those antlers. I’ve been researching saddle stands might try that this spring and see if I like them, they seem like a lighter faster option as well.

18-Jan-20
I wonder how many people MeatEater inspired to chase Sika with that episode, I had a buddy call me up and ask me to be part of a group going down to hunt them after they watched that.

18-Jan-20
Let me know if you find a black kukri knife about 12 inches ..fishing bay area...

18-Jan-20
I have only been a few times but killed a stag the first time I ever went and got another from the same tree the following year. I was only about 100 yards or so from my truck in the parking lot. Found a nice trail that crossed the woods road and waded in to a tree and used a climbing stand. A game warden friend of mine uses a tall step ladder with big feet he put on it to hunt the Frag. He also uses a string tracker when hunting the frag. Have never been with a gun but in bow season they seem a whole lot easier to hunt than white tails but I may have just been lucky.

18-Jan-20
Will do savage. Shuteye he just stands to one side of the trail on a tall step ladder in the frag? What’s a string tracker? From what I’ve read there tricky and elusive. I’m hoping with October being the rut it’ll be our best chance.

18-Jan-20
What's a string tracker ? Thanks for making me feel old lol

19-Jan-20

Bowmann94 's embedded Photo
Bowmann94 's embedded Photo
Wow I looked up a string tracker. Neat system I didn’t know it existed for recurves that seems money. Any disadvantages? Also considering something like a marching band podium if I can make it light enough yet still high enough to see over the frag then you’re not reliant on trees. Thanks shuteye for the idea I googled some pictures of step ladder setups and I really like that idea. Can anyone tell me the average height of a frag pocket? Cattails here can reach 6’ or better I’d be nice to see a few feet over the grass but not be to skylined and still be light.

• Sitka Gear