Ermine 27-Nov-19
Outdoordan 28-Nov-19
WapitiBob 28-Nov-19
Smurph 30-Nov-19
kota-man 30-Nov-19
ki-ke 01-Dec-19
Smurph 01-Dec-19
26-Nov-19
Want a very waterproof hunting boot, kinda narrowed it down to these two. Any last thoughts from those who have experience with these or similar appreciated. I am trying to hit the black Friday specials so decision is quickly approaching.

26-Nov-19
Thread on rokslide about leaking crispi. The mfg has been noticeably absent. Partner has crispi and his stayed dry in very wet conditions this year. I have yet to see a leaking Alaskan thread. My Alaskans are the only boot that has stayed dry out of about 15 other pairs over the last 20+ years. I did not wear the Alaskans on that wet hunt unfortunately.

26-Nov-19
Opposite experience as Scoot....never had Crispi's but 2 pair of Han wags. I guess that tells you what I think of them. Great boot!

26-Nov-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I just ordered a pair of Crispi Idaho GTX yesterday based on many great reviews. Really looking forward to wearing them.

26-Nov-19
I tried on Nevada's the other day and boy are they ever comfortable! There soles are a bit weird....they rock when you roll forward on your feet. I'm pretty sure the Nevada's have some sort of foamy material that form fits your foot. I'm pretty sure the Nevadas have a thin leather interior that is pretty posh! . I like the rubber rand around the boot. They seem like a super solid boot that are all leather

Although all leather will likely outlast synthetic boots they are a little heavier. I ended up buying Crispi Dakotas a couple weeks ago (got a deal I couldn't resist). They are similar to the Nevadas but offer a little more breathability through the tongue of the boot and have a weird synthetic rand with stitching. I usually prefer boots with the least amount of stitching. Seams are where my boots tend to come apart. My guess is if you put some waterproofing on the leather you likely won't have any leakage problems. I've had great results with all leather boots.,.they just are a heavier weight and may not breath quite as good as synthetics when it's super hot.

26-Nov-19
I’ve had both of these. Liked them both, but they are very different boots IMO. The Han Wag is WAY more boot than the Nevada. Much stiffer IMO. To me the Nevada is a great all purpose boot from the plains to light mountain duty. The Han Wag is a more dedicated serious mountain boot.

26-Nov-19
Just this week I ordered a pair of Nevada’s and a pair of Dakota’s. Wanted to try them both. I looked at the Han Wag and decided the seemed more as Kota describes above and more than i really want/need. So no experience with with either but will try to let you know when I get them. Been a Lowa Tibet guy, bur decided to something different this time.

—jim

26-Nov-19
Thanks all for the advice. I didn't mention it, but i have not been able to find anyone who carries the Han Wag boots in my area. A little concerned about buying without trying on the Alaskans. Sounds like Crispi's will work fine for my use and I can purchase locally at close to the online price. Thanks again for the responses. Tim

26-Nov-19
The Hanwags are awesome, my favorite hunting boot. I’ve had three pairs and none required any break in. Great boot!

26-Nov-19
Crispi seems to be very good at marketing. All I hear about lately is crispi. Are they that good? Or are they giving lots of boots away in trade for publicity.

26-Nov-19
If Crispi is giving away boots, I didn’t get the memo...

26-Nov-19
The two models of Crispi's Ive had on, had a lot of heel drop, feels like you are walking around on your tippy toes....didn't care for that at all.

26-Nov-19
Kota—And you would have been the first to get the memo!!!

—jim

26-Nov-19
Kota do you wear flat brim hats?

26-Nov-19
I have the HanWag Alaskans and I love them. They are very similar to Lowa Tibets but the laces go a little closer to the toe with a wider toe box and they seem to have a little more flex than the Tibet. I've never had wet feet in my Alaskans, can't say the same about the Tibets.

26-Nov-19
Wore my Hanwag Alaskans exclusively on my recent trip to Kodiak. It was rainy and wet the entire time and my feet stayed bone dry. I was really, really happy with them.

26-Nov-19
Oh great. Now you guys are telling me I have to buy the Han Wags too?!?!

—jim

26-Nov-19
“NEGATIVE” on the Flat Brims. I’m “old school” roll it up like I’m looking in a mailbox curved bill.

26-Nov-19
Never wet feet in my Crispi boots, they have been reliable, durable, and comfortable. Just bought another pair this week (Guides).

27-Nov-19
Another vote here for the Han Wags. I had both and wore out the Han Wags, gave the Crispis away and bought another pair of Han Wags.

27-Nov-19
I have the han wag Alaskan, and love them. I wear a 13 narrow, they fit better than any boot I’ve found yet. No leaks, lots of support.

27-Nov-19
I'm wearing a pair of Hanwags as I type this. For me, they are very comfortable and rugged. i have no experience with Crispis.

27-Nov-19
I wear 11 wide Alaskans and Tibets. The toe box is wider on the Alaskan and the heel seems to be narrower/lower volume compared to the Tibet, which fits my foot better. The Alaskans are also the best fitting boot I've ever owned. Not bashing the Crispi's I have no experience with them.

27-Nov-19
Well this sucks! Last night went to bed knowing I was buying the Crispis! Now I really want to at least try the Han Wags. Neither are cheap, so I want the one that fits best and keeps my feet the driest (Oregon winters!).

27-Nov-19
If technical terrain is in your "plans", go Han Wag. If you want an all around boot made for the plains and some mountain duty, go Crispi. I can't stress enough the fact that the Han Wag is a bit stiffer than the Crispi. I wouldn't classify it as super stiff mountain climbing boot by any means, but noticeably stiffer than the Crispi. That's not a bad thing, but for flat ground I prefer a less stiff boot.

27-Nov-19
Get a hold of James at Lathrop and Sons and tell them what you're looking for. They will give you an honest unbiased assessment based on their knowledge. I'm pretty sure they still carry the Han Wags, not sure about crispi's but they have many many options and will custom fit them for you as well if necessary... Bought my last 3 pairs thru them, 2- HanWags, 1- their own Mt Elite. Good Luck

27-Nov-19
I tried this summer in ordering Hanwags from Lathrops and they said that they were discontinued. They tried to upsell me on their boot. I politely declined then bought the HanWags from Black Ovis.

27-Nov-19
Kota-man, I'm not doing an hard core mountain climbing. Your average deer and elk terrain, mixed with some steeper eastern Oregon mule deer country. I'll give Lathrop and Sons a call. Again, really appreciate the help, the advice has been great.

27-Nov-19
If you’re paying retail for hanwags order thru rei. Nobody can touch their return policy.

27-Nov-19
Wapitibob- what is their return policy? I heard it recently got changed

27-Nov-19
Lathrop and Sons should just take the Hanwags off of their website, they haven't had any in stock in forever. I bought my last two pair from Germany direct. Very nice boots!

27-Nov-19
Loved the Lowa Caminos I HAD, but in the market for new boots. They fit my feet like a glove, but unfortunately didn't hold up as long as I wanted, both boots fell apart at almost the same time..... the "foam" layer in the sole disintegrated and the soles literally fell off, fell apart. Glued the first one back and got another trip out of them when the other side cut loose the same way, only worse. They had 5 or 6 hard years on them, but was kinda hoping for a little better lifespan? Everything wears out (although I still live in the fantasy I'm gonna live forever....) but was hoping for better? Maybe not. But I didn't "wear them out", they self destructed.

Good boots are an online only endeavor here. Folks that have the Hanwags, I've heard they run a bit wider than the Lowa? My feet are just a touch on the narrow side of "regular", which the Lowa's tend to lean towards and fit me great. If they have a narrow enough heel box I might give em a roll...... they get good reviews WRT durability.

27-Nov-19
Rei is 12 months to return, any reason.

TD, I went from lowa cevedale pro to the hanwag Alaska and had to use the lathrop insole in the Alaska. The insole I had in the lowa pros took up too much volume in the hanwag.

27-Nov-19
Bob, maybe I’m dense, but I can’t find the Hanwags on the REI site. Black Ovis has them, and have been happy with them in the past.

—Jim

27-Nov-19
Boots are so personal. I have a pair of Hanwag Alaskans. Great boot build wise, but they don’t fit my feet as well as Lowa boots and not as comfortable

28-Nov-19
If you like your Lowa and your Hanwag there is good reason, and it's a good read. Both Bavarian brothers Lorenz Wagner (Lowa) and Hans Wagner (Hanwag) founded their individual companies in the 1920's as shoemakers. By the mid 30's they were both building plenty of shoes and boots, and were forced into building boots for the 3rd reich in the form of mountain infantry boots (Lowa) and ski boots (Hans). The Olympics were held in Garmisch-Partenkirtchen, Germany in 1936 and of course Germany dominated the skiing as the German Nationalism was at an all time high.

28-Nov-19
jt, I had to go down to the store and they looked them up and said they could order them. Nothing wrong with black ovis.

30-Nov-19
Update- bought the Crispi Nevadas. So far the best boot I’ve ever worn. Very happy got the Black Friday 20 percent off special at local shop. Thanks everyone. Ps wish I could have tried the Han wags, another day. Tim

30-Nov-19
You’ll be happy with those. They are probably the most versatile boot I own.

01-Dec-19
HanWag Alaskans are on sale for $295.96 on Backcountry.

01-Dec-19
Update- bought the Crispi Nevadas. So far the best boot I’ve ever worn. Very happy got the Black Friday 20 percent off special at local shop. Thanks everyone. Ps wish I could have tried the Han wags, another day. Tim

• Sitka Gear