Woobie 27-Nov-19
IdyllwildArcher 27-Nov-19
wildwilderness 27-Nov-19
Kevin Dill 27-Nov-19
Kurt 27-Nov-19
cnelk 27-Nov-19
Woobie 28-Nov-19
26-Nov-19
Hey all, Long time reader, infrequent poster. I am doing a 2021 combo moose/caribou archery hunt (drop camp, DIY). There is obviously a ton of info on the web, but I wanted to help narrow down my search and hear anecdotes from bowsiters :).

What will the real costs be? What costs am I likely not considering as I start building my spreadsheet?

Anybody have outfitter preferences?

Any preferences between AK and Canada? (AK has always been a dream, "The last frontier" and all) but I'd do Canada in a heartbeat if it were significantly cheaper.

26-Nov-19
Canada you need a guide. That should cut your spreadsheet in half.

26-Nov-19
Everyone wants to shoot a moose and/or a caribou on the same trip, but it's rare for it to be done. It's also rare to find a transporter that'll say, "yep, I can drop you in a place where you'll find both."

Caribou fly in hunts generally involve you flying to wherever the caribou are at that time and moose hunts involve flying into good moose country, which is not often times places that caribou like to hang out. It's like hunting mule deer and white tail deer or mule deer and elk. Yeah, you'll find them occasionally in the same places, but generally, you're either hunting one or hunting the other.

There's definitely exceptions, like hunting a Canadian moose and then going for a mountain caribou if you find one or visa versa. But that's an expensive guided hunt and is not DIY due to it being in Canada.

Much of the good moose hunting in Alaska, you won't even get a spot on a transporter's plane unless you hunt caribou with them first.

26-Nov-19
I would never recommend a 2 species DIY hunt like that. Just doesn’t work out very well. You don’t sound like you have a lot of experience, if that is the case I would think twice about moose especially if you are thinking solo! Caribou is quite doable for DIY in Alaska. If my above assumptions are correct you can knock off another 1/2 of your spread sheet.

Obviously I have no idea of your current hunting experiences but if you are set on DIY I would look at some lower 48 elk and mule deer hunts to get experience. The deep end can be hard to jump into without first getting your feet wet.

I could be wrong, so ignore me if I thats the case.

—jim

26-Nov-19
I think Ike and I were typing at the same time. I agree with what he said, and feel we are kinda saying some of the same things.

—jim

26-Nov-19
X2 the advice given above

26-Nov-19
There’s only one person that I know of that hunts moose solo. Kevin Dill.

You got a long ways to go before you get to his status.

26-Nov-19
I arrowed an Alaskan moose and caribou on the same DIY fly-in way back in '84. 5 days apart and maybe 1,000 yards apart. It can be done. If we could have hunted grizzlies I'd likely have arrowed one of those too as I had a couple of 'em 20-30 yards away during the day and one sniffing the tent during the night.

26-Nov-19
Of course it can be done. I certainly wasn’t saying that. I’m just saying that trying to plan for both is a good way to set yourself up for failure on both. For a beginner to AK (as it sounds the OP is) I feel it’s basically a bad idea to try to plan for 2 species.

If you want to pay for a top notch outfitter it is a little more doable, but in my experience it is still VERY difficult when bowhunting. Maybe if you could book 7-10 days for first species and then another 7-10 days for second and focus on each then it maybe a bit more likely. But again I’m assuming this is not what he is asking about.

—jim

26-Nov-19
1984 was a very long time ago........

Caribou opportunities are a fraction of what they used to be even 10 years ago, especially for non-residents.

27-Nov-19
1984 is a really long time ago.

I killed a big moose and a double shovel caribou 2 days apart on the same trip in 1997 in Alaska flying with Ketchum air service.

Not too long after that the unit I was in required a guide to hunt moose for non residents and not too long after that Ketchum's went out of business.

If I was doing it again, and we are in the middle of planning for it again, I would just pick one species.

Good luck whatever you decide I don't forget to get references and call them

27-Nov-19
There are several places, contrary to previous posters, that allow a legitimate chance at both. Just need to do a little research and keep an open mind.

27-Nov-19
Thank you for the replies and information everybody. Hey Jim, I should have clarified so it’s my fault; I have been bowhunting CO and UT for 15 years with around a 50% success rate on elk, mulies, and antelope. I attribute my decent success to much of what I have read on this site so any advice is much appreciated. I’m not an expert by any stretch, just laying out the context. I am brand new to organizing/booking trips out of this area though! I am also a complete Alaska rookie and will have at least one friend with me. We both grew up in the Rockies and have top notch gear so feel comfortable with survival, field-craft, navigation etc…

Our individual budgets are $10k each and I will have 14 days (maybe 20 with travel). My ideal hunt would be getting dropped off by a reputable person, pointed in a general direction, and then trying to figure it out.

27-Nov-19
“ From: Nick Muche27-Nov-19Private Reply There are several places, contrary to previous posters, that allow a legitimate chance at both. Just need to do a little research and keep an open mind.”

There certainly are. I hunted a spot that (potentially) had both in September. But for the average DIY hunter from the lower 48, focusing on one specie is, IMO, the best way to get something. And doing “a little” research in AK is a tall task. No one gives up anything, the transporters and biologists don’t give up anything, and the AK DFG website is one of the most difficult to understand and glean information from - in fact, it’s pretty overwhelming for a lot of people from the lower 48, which is why they come to Bowsite and ask for help with how/where to look.

I over heard our local transporter in the airport in August bitching about guys wanting to do combo hunts. His basic take was that lower 48 guys had good success on caribou if they went for caribou, we’re lucky to ever get a moose, and if they wanted to get both, they either needed to move 1/2 way through the hunt or else they were setting themselves up for failure because you go to the best places for moose or the best places for caribou and those places are not the same.

August before last, I saw a moose and found caribou sheds while sheep hunting. Doesn’t mean I’d try to hunt those 3 animals at the same time even though the seasons overlap.

It’s not just animals in the same region. It’s how you’re hunting, where you’re hunting, etc. For instance, when I’m at 5000 feet and several miles in, it doesn’t matter that I glass a bomber moose in the valley below me if he’s at 1000 feet and 6 miles from where a plane can land.

There’s so much more than just having animals in the area. IMO, you can try it and there’s certainly areas, but if you really want to kill something, diversifying is not the key. Focused hunting for one specie and setting yourself up to be as successful as you possibly can be for it, is.

27-Nov-19
I would recommend Kodiak as a great place for Alaska rookies, You can combo for Sitka Blacktails and Caribou there with a realistic chance at both.

But having traveled for hunting many many times I would strongly support the plan to focus on one species at a time, especially bowhunting.

27-Nov-19
I'm not sure if the OP is planning a solo hunt, but I'm on the record advising against that for any first trip to AK for moose or caribou. But especially moose....for many obvious reasons....are just not a good undertaking for a lone hunter on his first trip in Alaska's backcountry. Some experience is definitely in order. A partner is well advised.

There are definitely many huntable areas where caribou and moose overlap. The majority of transporters are focused on an either-or strategy when it comes to hunting. You're going (earlier) for caribou in one area, or (later) for moose in another. A number of exceptions to this apply, but in general it's probably asking a bit much to think you'll get on a great two-species combo hunt for your first diy. Now that said....it DOES happen that luck works sometimes and both caribou and moose are taken. Doing it with a bow on your first diy hunt is almost a hat trick. My personal strategy would be to go with a focus on moose, and if a bull caribou shows up....take the gift.

I've seen big bulls of both species taken on the same hunt. I've had plenty of caribou go past me while moose hunting. It's most always hit-or-miss in terms of timing and opportunities. Caribou being unpredictable and migratory can be very undependable in a specific location. On the other hand they can absolutely flood a good moose area for several days and I've witnessed that...rare as it might be.

One hunt plan I've been considering is a 7-9 day drop into good caribou country, then a move to moose camp for 12 days of hunting....all of it solo....as most guys I know aren't able to be gone that long. Or maybe 21 days of Mountain House is just too much to tolerate!

27-Nov-19
Woobie (OP), You have a lot of experience with western mountain bowhunting. Alaska isn't that much different with several exceptions: You need better rain gear (although parts of Alaska are drier than others). You may need to hunt in hip boots, or have a system with your rain pants or lightweight packable overboots in order to cross rivers. You can't walk out, so excellent preparations are in order. Grizzlies were around the game populations and were a new twist...definitely part of the adventures but nothing to get too hyped up over. Go have an adventureI You sound ready and prepared! I hope you get into the critters and have the hunt of your life!

As per the mixed bag aspect, glad to see Nick and Kevin discuss how it is still possible! As a side note to that, three of us went to Alaska in 1989 and came back with two caribou and two moose. Charlie has posted the photo on Bowsite before, as we ran into Pat and him up there. Trakman went solo in '88 and arrowed a huge bull moose and a decent caribou. The good old days....and I was the only one shooting a compound, the rest were taken with recurves.

My three DIY fly-in Alaskan bowhunts in the '80's cost me about $6,500 in grand total including airfare from CO for a Kodiak deer hunt and two moose/caribou trips. I just used my CO hunting gear with the addition of a pair of Lacrosse ankle fit hip boots and a Thermarest pad (new thing then). My old rain gear which wasn't very good caused me issues a few times. We definitely have superior gear today along with great communications devices.

27-Nov-19

cnelk's Link
To the OP - there was a Bowsite thread back in 2018 that has some good info you may want to check out - see link

28-Nov-19
Thank you everybody! I definitely obtained some great starting points.

AK it is. I will resist the temptation of bringing a rifle.

• Sitka Gear