smarba 17-Jan-20
Highlife 17-Jan-20
Highlife 17-Jan-20
t-roy 17-Jan-20
smarba 17-Jan-20
wifishkiller 18-Jan-20
Thornton 18-Jan-20
27-Nov-19
That is going to be one tough bowhunt Scoot. Regardless of what head you decide to use I really hope you get an opportunity at one!

27-Nov-19
I have no clue one the bone structure/hide, but I’d think your elk setup would be fully adequate.

Looking forward to the recap on this. Good luck, Scoot!!!

27-Nov-19
I had hunted 3 of them 2 were in a blind, so it wasn´t hard hunt and the other was stalking and it was hard. For 2 of them I used Muzzy 125, and had a complete pass trough and for the other I used Montec with a very good penetration Any broadhead that you use for elk, will work fine

27-Nov-19
I shot one with a 300WSM one time. Double lung hit at 50 yards. Dang thing ran a long way before going down. Tough critters!! If you need a place go, i know a guy that hunts Palo Duro canyon in texas.

27-Nov-19
They are typical Africa tough. Have killed a few with a 300 wsm. Never had a chance with a bow. Recommend you use your elk setup. We dug a bunch of bullet pieces out of a ram my dad shot one year. Most likely a long shot someone tried that fell low, but the bullet hit the front knee and busted into pieces.

27-Nov-19
I’m an admitted gear junky and have no less than 4 compound bows on hand at anyone time. That said I honestly don’t really understand the mentality that we need a speciality bow for any species in N/A. I would take my standard set-up for any animal in N/A from turkeys to moose, and not think twice about it. Shoot a set-up you are comfortable with and have fun. I’ll be casing them in March and had not even considered anything other than what I’ll be hunting whitetails with this weekend.

Good luck! —jim

27-Nov-19
I would stick with something that is most likely to zip right through; there you have a chance of not panicking the animal. You get an animal with an arrow stuck in it and they seem to run off like they’ve been hit with a cattle-prod.... which is Not Good with a cliff-dwelling species.

Of course, I don’t like mechanicals anyway.... ;)

27-Nov-19
Hitting bone on any animal is bad.

27-Nov-19
I have killed one with a bow out of a blind. It was not fish in the barrel !! I have never seen an animal so well protected by his harem. My shot was so quick- I don’t even remember the shot, but it was a double lung and it did travel far. Since it is an African animal remember to shoot forward (straight up leg, 1/3 lower section of the body. Because their chaps they appear to be barrel chested but they really aren’t. They are not super thick skinned. I would shoot your normal poundage and arrow setup. I would used COC BH’s. I use 125 gr., 3-blade Woodsmen Elite BH and shot 57# bow.

They have tremendous eyesight and when they are in a group it is a challenge. Best of luck.

27-Nov-19
Scoot

We've shot a couple when we lived in TX.

Auodad have a heavy bone structure with a hide a bit thicker than a whitetail.

I'd recommend staying tight to the shoulder on a quartering animal. We've successfully used that point of aim on Auodad, Gemsbok and Oryx.

A mature ram with a full beard, mane and chaps will make a great mount.

Good luck.

27-Nov-19
I have killed two with my bow. Both with 100 grain Rocket Steelheads. Don't over think it.

27-Nov-19

Tracker's embedded Photo
Tracker's embedded Photo

27-Nov-19
Have taken a few both in Texas and Africa. Used a QAD Exodus fixed blade with my compound and a Rage Hypodermic in my Scorpyd Crossbow (a lot more KE). Their structure and hide is certainly a bit heavier than a deer; and any animal who’s natural habitat is desert mountains of North Africa has to be strong and tough as nails to survive.

Also their vitals are further forward in the chest cavity than NA game. Double-lunged a couple and was surprised by how far they went in that condition. Only one that expired within sight was hit directly in the heart. For a fixed blade I can highly recommend the Exodus, but any well constructed steel-ferrule Broadhead will do.

They are extremely wary critters, are almost never alone, and don’t doubt their senses. Eyesight is phenomenal. If they see or smell something they don’t like they aren’t likely to go back to feeding. Also, a mature Aoudad Ram is a very big animal/stout animal that can be 300+lbs.

They are a huge challenge, a blast to hunt - and if you fell one with an arrow, a truly gratifying moment. Good luck and have fun.

28-Nov-19
You'll do just fine Scott---------->

Pick-A-Spot and enjoy

Good luck, Robb

28-Nov-19
Theses things are not elk or even caribou size big right. 300 pounds a big one or there abouts. They may be tough to get a crack at but they are not big animals. Don’t overthink the gear.

01-Jan-20

sleddogpa's embedded Photo
sleddogpa's embedded Photo
G5 strikers worked like a champ for mine. I did shoot one a few years ago with a rocket steel head and lost him. But like the previous post it’s all about shot placement. Straight up that leg and you will have an amazing trophy.

04-Jan-20
So how do they taste ?

06-Jan-20
Little too much like sheep for me. Made them into chili and similar.

06-Jan-20
Thanks was always curious

07-Jan-20
They taste fantastic (mild). Tough as a board: I grind everything, including backstraps, into burger. I always strive to keep the meat clean and get it cold ASAP as with all game meat. Well over a dozen killed in my family and every one absolutely delicious. Honestly Barbs are one game meat I never hesitate to serve to non-hunters that may be squeamish/concerned about "gamey" taste.

07-Jan-20
I arrowed one from a blind, baited, but not high fence, a year ago. Used 65 pound bow, 500 grain arrow, Iron Will broad head. Got full penetration and it trotted 20 yards, stopped for five seconds and collapsed. Their bone and hide structure is heavier than a white tail.

10-Jan-20
They are a cool animal to hunt. Taste is great and I agree very tough. I've chewed on the soles of shoes that were more tender.

10-Jan-20
Don-

You've chewed on the soles of shoes?? That explains alot. If you took her shoes off prior to gnawing on her toes , that would fall into a more commonly accepted, but still kinda weird deal. You're a bit out there....

The things we learn on Bowsite.....

13-Jan-20
good one ki-kie LOL

13-Jan-20
My guide said “no one eats those things”

13-Jan-20
Dale: that is a VERY common viewpoint, but dead wrong.

15-Jan-20
Haha funny like

I definitely like the taste

15-Jan-20
Smarba, I’ll tell my guide, “ you are wrong”??

15-Jan-20
Yes, he is mistaken.

Just like people say lion/cougar, javelina, black bear, and even pronghorn are not fit for consumption, it's NOT a blanket statement. With proper meat care (keep clean, don't cross contaminate by touching stinky hair to meat, get cold ASAP) every one of these can be delicious table fare. I have picky taste buds so it's not like I hide the taste of bad meat with a ton of spices, etc. Barbary is delicious, from ewes to big rams. Personal experience with over a dozen in the freezer over the years, plus numerous personal friends who have taken sheep and confirm my position.

15-Jan-20
True, delends. I had cougar that was delicous, and pronghorn that was vile. Never ate any kind of sheep except domestic.

15-Jan-20
smarba, I bet those sheep would be delicious in the sous vide!

I can't believe people say pronghorn is bad, its by far and away my favorite.

15-Jan-20
"Pronghorn too "sagey" could hardly gag it down" Things like that. I've only eaten 3, all delicious. But I think the main way meat gets tasting off is by touching the hide/hair and then transferring that funk to the meat.

I've had people flat-out tell me to leave javelina and Barbary meat behind, it's no good. Not true of either if taken care of properly/carefully.

15-Jan-20

COLT45's embedded Photo
COLT45's embedded Photo
I recently used a 100 grain wicked trick. Shot was broadside in the ribs and arrow went 20 yards past the animal. We ate a backstrap and it was pretty good, I would eat it again.

15-Jan-20
Awesome ram Colt!!!

15-Jan-20
Where are you guys going to get these audads? Which ranch/outiftter/area for dYI hunts?

17-Jan-20
Rage Trypan for anything smaller than Elk. Period.

17-Jan-20
Good to eat not good to eat WTH ! Somebody needs to send me one frozen tenderloin and I will gladly get back to everyone and solve this debate. I know I know what a guy but this is a sacrifice I am willing to do for my fellow bowsiters.

17-Jan-20
Oh pm me for address.

17-Jan-20
Highlife: I'm dead serious I'll do it if I can figure out how to ship reasonably priced and keep it frozen. I'll PM you for address.

17-Jan-20
I see a groundswell of something happening here lol

17-Jan-20
Asking for Coors light lol hardly exotic I do applaud the effort.

17-Jan-20
Scoot.....I noticed you didn’t offer to do a double blind taste test on some Grainbelt Premium. Can’t say as I blame you. There is a distinct possibility that you could ACTUALLY go double blind during that taste test! ;-)

17-Jan-20
Scoot....HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18-Jan-20
Shot one at 35yards with a rage hypodermic and a 70 mathews helium, stuck in his offside shoulder. I shot him again at 45yards and shot clean through him.

Shot my last one with a 55 pound recurve and a helix 2 blade head, the fletching hung up on the exit side hole. Both died within 50 yards of the shot.

18-Jan-20
I wonder if there is a difference in stamina on a wild one vs a corn fed one shot on a canned hunt? I know the animals in the Palo Duro Canyon are some tough critters. I have extended family that owns a ranch in that canyon and it is rough country.

• Sitka Gear