WhitetailHtr 29-Nov-19
t-roy 29-Nov-19
Grubby 29-Nov-19
Ambush 29-Nov-19
Grubby 29-Nov-19
WhitetailHtr 29-Nov-19
Ambush 29-Nov-19
29-Nov-19
I have no experience with food plot planting, but would like to get some in play for next season. The area I will be planting has had plots a couple of years ago, and some of it is also acreage that is cut and baled during the summer. I am going to discontinue the cutting and baling practice to allow high grass cover around the plots. The plots will be from 1 acre to about 2 acres.

I have a Polaris 4wd ATV. What is the minimum equipment that I can get by with to plant plots (primarily beans) and possibly some switchgrass, too. I saw on one thread here where a guy broadcasts his beans and get a thick planting (albeit not in neat rows but I don't really care about that). I'd like to get some switchgrass planted as well not only for cover purposes, but also to give me a screen to access stands.

All advice is really appreciated. Thank you.

29-Nov-19
Don't do it! The addiction will consume you....LOL!! On a serious note....have you checked out the food plot forum on here?

29-Nov-19
My first suggestion for you, Tom, would be to reconsider you decision! It’s more addictive than crack! (from what I’ve heard) Second suggestion would be to look into trying to find an older tractor to do your food plots with, vs using your atv. It’s doable with the atv, but there’s also a very good chance of burning it up as well. (Been there-done that) IMO, atvs just aren’t made for that type of workload. Lots of times, you can find an old H or M Farmall, Ford 8N or similar type tractor for 2K or even less, and smaller implements can be gotten at farm machinery auctions fairly cheaply as well. I see you’re from Minnesota. Are you in farm country or in more big woods type area?

Also, on the switchgrass, I would highly recommend that you go to Iowawhitetail.com, go to Dbltree’s corner and pull up the “switchgrass” thread. There’s more good info there regarding establishing switchgrass than anything else I’ve ever read elsewhere.

EDIT: Jake and I must have been posting at the same time! ;-)

29-Nov-19
Thanks, guys. In farm country of WI, actually. Didn't realize that there was a food plot forum. I will head over that way!

29-Nov-19
Lots of good info there. Good luck, Tom!

29-Nov-19
I definitely agree that it’s addictive and that a small tractor would be a good investment. Wisconsin is a great place to find small implements and you could set yourself up cheaper than you would think.

29-Nov-19
Learn to hunt instead!!

Haha, gotcha!!

29-Nov-19
Where would one learn this ambush??

29-Nov-19
Thank you for all the good plot knowledge. Much appreciated.

29-Nov-19
Agree with trying to budget for a tractor. Troy knows his stuff!

29-Nov-19

Ambush's embedded Photo
Converted from a pro drive. I’ve since modified it again.
Ambush's embedded Photo
Converted from a pro drive. I’ve since modified it again.
Ambush's embedded Photo
Half of an old drag disc.
Ambush's embedded Photo
Half of an old drag disc.
I have about 3/4 acre plot and do it with a cut down drag disc and 36” rototiller that I powered with a 16 hp engine. For several years I used a 450 Yamaha and now 700 Yamaha. I can’t imagine doing multiple acre plus plots that way. The Yamaha has a pretty bullet proof drive, but it still gets warm if speed is too low to fully engage.

If possible, I’d say the advice about a smaller used tractor is right on. A live three point hitch is a game changer.

I’ll keep on the way I am, but only because the tractor is not an option. And as stated, it really is fun and helps you engage with the animals during a season you otherwise might not.

• Sitka Gear