PSUhoss 05-Dec-19
timex 05-Dec-19
mountainman 05-Dec-19
Cornpone 05-Dec-19
Roger that 05-Dec-19
Bowfreak 05-Dec-19
jstephens61 05-Dec-19
02-Dec-19
I found an area I wanted to hunt and am going to use my LW Sit and Climb instead of putting up a hang on. One of the things I have noticed about this stand versus previous climbers I have had is that I can't seem to get enough upward tilt into the platform initially due to the cross bar on the platform contacting the tree. I am not one for adjusting in mid air so I think I'll add a rope step to my setup which will allow me to start my platform higher on the tree. By starting higher on the tree I can cinch the traction belt a bit tighter and end up with a more level platform when I reach my desired height. Does anyone do this and if so....is the Cranford the only strap on step now? I could put a screw in step in my pack but they can be a bear to start in some trees like maple or hickory and they aren't legal on public land.

02-Dec-19
I tighten mine down multiple times on the way up. The adjustable straps that connect upper to lower come in handy for making this safe and easy.

02-Dec-19
I adjust my hand climber platform on the way up. It's awkward but it works for me.

02-Dec-19

midwest's Link
Check out Wild Edge Stepps. You can actually get 2 feet on them. You can buy a single for $20. I have 8 of them.

I can send you one to try if you want, Mark.

02-Dec-19
I just started mine up higher on the tree. Sometimes I would start it at chest height and use the seat as a chin-up bar on the tree at 90 degree offset and swing up onto the foot portion. I’d put the seat up over my head at the highest I could reach. Backstraps, how do you change the tightness of the belt/strap on the foot portion as you climb?

02-Dec-19
Nick,

Those are sweet steps and are too nice for what I need. I only need a simple step to get me 3' off the ground. Thanks for the offer, but I can get one of the Cranford strap on steps for $8 or $9 and I won't be breaking up your set.

Bloodtrail,

The simplest movements aren't as easy as they used to be for me. LOL. I used to just jump up to the platform and land on my butt and then just stand up. I can still jump up there, but it now hurts like crap to try to roll around on my knees and stand up. It's like a beached whale struggling to find the sea. :)

I will give this a try. Not at the top of my climb but at like 4' off the ground.

04-Dec-19
I would love to see this "platform adjusting as you climb" too. Maybe the seat portion but without getting off of it I don`t see how you can adjust the platform.

04-Dec-19
I hunt all private land & always use a screw in step. I set my stand slightly above waist high & use the step this has worked well for me

04-Dec-19
Always start my climb with the climber pointing upwards at the steepest angle possible at about waist hieght. Once on the platform, I climb to desired height. Have noticed that if you don’t start with the steep upward angle that the platform will point downward by the time you reach your desired height.

04-Dec-19
^^^ Yep. This. Both platform and seat start at a steep angle.

04-Dec-19
Adjusting the platform while on the way up the tree isn't that difficult once you get the hang of it. Some trees are just impossible to get level at desired stand height even if you start with the steepest angle possible at the bottom. All trees are different.

When adjusting the platform, I just remain seated on the bar used to climb and pull the platform up to me with the stabilizer straps and tighten the traction belt to the desired angle. Once you get good at it, I do it all of the time not only to adjust the angle of the platform, but to go around limbs while on the way up. No big deal after a while. Love my Lone Wolf Stands.

04-Dec-19
Agree with PSU....with the sit n climb, adjusting the platform angle or seat angle during the climb is no problem. Of course you want to be fully harnessed to the tree while doing so. For me, even when starting the stand at the steepest angle possible at the base of the tree, it is a rare tree that allows the angle to end up being perfect at the final height.

04-Dec-19
I agree with the above statements as well about adjusting on the climb. The straps are super handy.

04-Dec-19
X2 to PSUhoss.

Probably doesnt work with the hand climber, but is a piece of cake with sit and climb.

I don’t understand the earlier question about foot straps. I don’t use foot straps with my sit and climb my feet lift by slipping between the lower crossbar and the platform.

04-Dec-19
All that seems like a PITA. After a half a dozen trees or so, got the hang of what angle the platform should be to start. Usually end up with the platform level or pointed up.

04-Dec-19
I know this is a bit off topic, Lone Wolf is very functional in a lot of capacities. But other than packing flat there is not much about it that I find desirable. Other stands - Summit, TreeWalker, and Loggy Bayou are my preferred stands over my LW because of how it fits the tree and climbs (or does not comparatively).

05-Dec-19
I’ll continue to post every year that Lone Wolf makes a poor climber compared to others out there.Hunters get sucked in by the sexy looks and flat pack in and then fight them the rest of the time

05-Dec-19
Genesis - I would like to hear what you think makes them a poor climber. Not trying to be argumentative, but I have owned one of possibly every climber manufacturer made and keep coming back to Lone Wolf. My primary reason is the they are dead quiet and that trumps most everything else.

05-Dec-19
I'm not gonna comment on any others cause I haven't used them I will say that iv had a sit n climb since 2005 & I go up a tree effortlessly with it & am as comfortable 25' up as standing on the ground & ABSOLUTELY silent. as far as that angle to set the stand you'll learn quickly it depends on the tree a pine poplar or smooth bark hickory for instance that has very little taper will require far less starting angle than a tree that tapers quickly going up

05-Dec-19
I'm with Timex. Bought my LW climber in 2001. Still going strong. It's finally starting to make some creaks. It may be time to replace all the washers etc.

Most of the time I end up level. On occasion I have to climb back down and re adjust.

05-Dec-19
I've used climbing treestands for many years...starting off with the Baker Mighty-Mite...remember those beauties LOL!! I've had several over the years and currently have my last...a LW Alpha, not the Sit and Climb. Anyhow, I numbered my belt such that when I climb a tree I know what number I want to set it at if I climb that same tree again. As far as adjusting the angle, if it starts off too steep I make an aerial adjustment when no more than 5 or 6 feet off the ground so I'm not concerned about falling. I also have my safety harness attached as I climb. Yes...there are lighter stands out there but, IMO, none quieter nor less cumbersome to carry, which means a lot to me.

05-Dec-19
Haha how many of these lone wolf haters have a beer gut so big they can’t see their pecker? Lone wolf by far is best climber made. End. Of. Story. Just because your outta shape don’t knock the climber!! Haha

05-Dec-19
This is my favorite climber I've ever owned. I added a Hazmore Seat to mine. I know some people don't like this style of seat, but I love them. It is comfortable and not bulky to pack. To me it is a huge difference maker as the climbers I had in the past were so big and bulky to pack that I'd end up leaving them at the house. The last climber I had was a Summit Sentry. It was probably the most comfortable stand I had ever set in, but the stand was super bulky to pack and nesting the hand climber to the platform was loud and required more effort than I like. I admit I am not a climber expert, but this is what I saw.

As far as comments about starting the platform angled high enough in the beginning......that is what I always did with any other climber I had. It may have been the particular tree I was climbing, but I started the platform angled up as high as possible. It couldn't increase the level more without the cross bar on the platform contacting the tree.

05-Dec-19
Have to agree with PSUhoss, I’ve owned around 8 other climbers, starting with a Baker. Right now I have a LW Assault climber and a Summit Viper. The Viper is a very comfortable stand, but it’s heavy noisy and a PITA to hook to the tree. It comes out maybe twice a year, the LW, 4-5 times a week this year. Quietest stand I’ve ever owned. Looking into getting the sit n climber portion to go with the Assault. Anybody want to buy a Viper?

• Sitka Gear