Thornton 13-Dec-19
Thornton 13-Dec-19
1boonr 13-Dec-19
buckhammer 13-Dec-19
jstephens61 13-Dec-19
06-Dec-19

jstephens61's embedded Photo
Walking my property line this afternoon and found this. This does piled up at the NE corner of the property. This kind of crap makes my blood boil. Shoot three little does, pile them up and leave them. Working with the CPOs to figure out who’s responsible.

06-Dec-19
makes no sense to me if it were headless body's I could understand but to shoot something for food & not take the food ???could they be useing the dead deer to bait in predators

06-Dec-19
Does Illinois still not have a law addressing leaving meat. When I outfitted there you were not required to take meat. Your picture would not have been a violation

I hate poachers too

06-Dec-19
Or got scared and ran. Either way, worthless turds.

06-Dec-19
Deer were not tagged, and we do have a waste law. I could see the slug hole in one of the deer.

They looked to be whole carcasses, not processed leftovers.

06-Dec-19
Awesome. Glad to see Illinois did that

06-Dec-19
I pick up roadkill and hunt coyotes over it. You sure that's not what's going on? Looks like a predator bait site to me.

06-Dec-19
Pat!!! Don’t use that B word or this thread will become as ridiculous as a few others on here. Poaching and trespassing suck. Hate to see wanton waste

06-Dec-19
That was the first thing that I thought Pat.... piles up roadkill.... but one has a slug through it....

06-Dec-19
Problem with it being a bait pile, it’s 10’ off the property line and 450’ from my house. Don’t believe it’s roadkill. Like I said, slug hole in one is easy to see.

06-Dec-19
Poachers suck!! I will say that even with the bullet hole they could still possibly be roadkills, I use roadkill deer for trapping coyotes and several I get have been finished off by deputies after a car struck them. Not saying that's what's going on but possible. Im sure if that's the case you'll find out by the predator trapper or hunter

06-Dec-19
I would discretely put a camera on it.

06-Dec-19
I am going with bait pile. Two look like they could have been home processed and the complete one could have been found after spoiled or as was suggested a roadkill. Poachers that I have seen generally kill them within shooting distance of a road and wouldn't take the time to stack them up.

I once had a neighbor contact me sure a group of poachers were working the area. His Great Dane and Bull Mastiff went in my forty acre woods and brought back 11 heads and a whole pile of lower legs and other bones. He called me down to have a look. I went down to his house and explained that what he was looking at was three Mule deer bucks, three Cow Elk heads and five Whitetail does that I had returned from Montana with and processed in my garage and put in the woods to shoot and trap coyotes off from. He was a little embarrassed when he looked a little closer and seen that most still had the tags in their ears and noticed the big floppy ears on the Mulies. I thanked him for keeping an eye on things and asked him to kindly keep his dogs in his yard because if it had been a week later we would have been discussing his dogs being caught in my traps. Good Day

07-Dec-19
Illinois law allows for baiting with “legally taken game”. We also require that legally taken deer be tagged immediately with a leg tag. This is on a back leg above the knee by cutting a slit in the hide. It’s plainly shown on the tag.

None of the hind legs had any cuts in them. No damage to any bones or rib cages, so more than likely not road kill which also requires a salvage tag. If they were home processed, they’d still be tagged and the hams were left on at least one.

Hopefully my picture was bad and didn’t show all this. The CPO on site also recommended cameras, which I pointed out to him.

07-Dec-19
250’ from house? Didn’t see anyone/hear a shot? Think you are just little paranoid

07-Dec-19
They were shot somewhere else and dumped there. Really, you think 3 deer stood in the same spot and got shot?

07-Dec-19
JTV, It was the early eighties when I brought the Mulies, Elk and Whitetails back to process them in my garage. No game law violations at that time. Three of us traveled and hunted together all over the west and processed all our own meat. At the time areas of Montana were selling whitetail doe tags for 3$ each with a limit of five per person. We would always bring back as much meat as possible to fill the freezers at home and feed our families. The limiting factor was how cold it was and how much time we to freeze them solid so we could stack them in the trailer. If we had to fit them all in the chest freezer because it was to warm to freeze them that would limit the number we would take. We had one ranch on the eastern Montana border where we new the rancher well. He raised alfalfa for seed along 12 miles of river bottom. He would welcome us to stop on our way home and fill our trailer with does for free. It was not uncommon to have 300 deer in rifle range in his fields at one time. We never hunted there for bucks as he charged 2000$ at that time to for a one week / one buck hunt. We operated out of a 12 x 16 wall tent saving every dime for gas, tags and bills so we could afford to hunt out of state 3 or 4 weeks every year and always hunted free public land. Gave all that up when the kids got big enough to start hunting. Now we all hunt with our families. Good Day

07-Dec-19
Whether the deer were shot on the OP's property, or roadkills piled there for predator bait, the people responsible were trespassing at the very least, and/or poaching. I hope they are caught and prosecuted.

OP, I know exactly how you feel. I've had bucks poached off of my property, their heads cut off, and the remaining carcass left to rot. Every time it happens, I feel more violated than if the scumbags would have robbed my house. Just once, I want to catch the d-bags in the act, and let them stare down the barrel of my 44 mag while we wait for the sheriff and game warden to arrive.

Matt

08-Dec-19
You’d hold man at gun point over a dead deer?

08-Dec-19
Probably shoot him and leave them on the pile for the vermin.

Not sure how some are trying to justify this behavior on another person`s property...the world has gone mad.

08-Dec-19
He never clearly says if the deer are 10 feet over the property line on his property or on the neighboring property.

08-Dec-19
I'll got with a bait pile. I don't think smart poachers would haul evidence of their crimes close to someone's house where it could be found. There might even be a cam hidden somewhere around there??

08-Dec-19
From the original post.... "Walking my property line this afternoon and found this. This does piled up at the NE corner of the property"......sure sounds like his property.

09-Dec-19
damn...I even boil the larger bones, can the meat and broth, and can the ribs..I HATE this kind of waste!

09-Dec-19
In his 3rd post he said 10' off property line but either way it's a bad deal

09-Dec-19

Here is the outline of my 20 here. House is about in the middle. X marks the spot of the carcasses. There’s a 40’ drop 20’ to the east, no coyotes coming up that. The X is about a quarter off the road, 10’ north of my line.

Carcasses that whole are a violation, no leg tags another violation. No salvage tags on any of them.

09-Dec-19
Have you asked the neighbor that owns the property? Legal or not that seems like the best bet. Seems odd that someone would drag/drive in a whole deer on to private property to dump them when not wanting to get caught. I think someone random would have dump off a road and left as soon as possible.

09-Dec-19
Interesting angle on that first picture.

09-Dec-19
John, the guy that lives in the house to the west is a renter. Been there about a year. Looking at the place and the people that come and go, my monies on him. I’ll have a chat with him after ML season. Waiting to see if I get any pictures.

13-Dec-19
Well, whether or not they were poached nobody will ever know. But, if they were legally taken but disposed of improperly, would you be dumb enough to leave your tag / info attached so it could easily lead back to you?

Not condoning the improper disposal if that's what occurred or poached.

13-Dec-19
Coyotes probably come in your yard at night and you don't even know it. They used to get so close to my house, theyd wake me up yowelling through the high dollar Pella windows.

13-Dec-19

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
There was a coyote bedded 100 yards from 3 does behind my sister's house this morning

13-Dec-19
Greyhost- it is illegal to hold somebody at gunpoint unless you have a reasonable fear for your life.

13-Dec-19
If you contacted a CPO why is he/she not utilizing their cameras? The next thing that is going to happen is your camera is going to get stolen if the culprit returns.

Depending on how many cases the CPO is working he/she may shrug it off if your camera comes up missing but not so much if it is their camera that gets stolen.

The neighbor did it or knows who did it. No random individual without any affiliation to the property is going to take the effort to dispose of 3 deer that far off the road.

13-Dec-19
CPOs in Illinois do not have cameras issued to them and they can’t use drones. We tried to get them when I worked at DNR, but no dice. No way in hell would I involve a firearm in this.

• Sitka Gear