Whocares 08-Dec-19
Matt 08-Dec-19
Buglmin 08-Dec-19
ELKMAN 09-Dec-19
StickFlicker 09-Dec-19
creed 09-Dec-19
WHOCARES 10-Dec-19
08-Dec-19
I’m looking at the leftover javelina list and trying to find a hunt to help pass the winter months. I’ve hunted javelina southeast of Tucson before and have done well but am looking to find some other options a little closer to home. I live in southwest Colorado and am hoping to find something closer to home perhaps in the flagstaff or Phoenix areas. I’m not looking for anyone’s honey holes just simply recommendations on areas or units. I’m ok with walking and working for it being an avid elk hunter. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

08-Dec-19
Flagstaff is in the pine trees and little to no Javelina. Something in the Phoenix area may be a better option.....don’t be afraid to look at leftover HAM hunts too, as you can use your bow on that hunt and there’s usually some left.

08-Dec-19
Any golf course near Phoenix LOL!!!

08-Dec-19
Bohntr I’m looking at leftover tags in general but didn’t want to just pick an area and go blindly. Unless that’s what it comes to...

08-Dec-19

Delkslayer's embedded Photo
This is the one I got a few years ago.
Delkslayer's embedded Photo
This is the one I got a few years ago.

08-Dec-19
Delkslayer

Very nice!!

08-Dec-19
I spent 4 winters at Lake Havasu and hunted them East of Havasu and west of Wikeup. I want to say it was unit 16. Tags over the counter. I went off on some trails and camped in the desert. Saw numerous sheep. Fun. Zip your tent up. Hope to get back there. Not to mention Havasu is a fun place!

08-Dec-19
Combine the leftover list with AZ G&F's list of popular area for given species.

08-Dec-19
I'll be down around Phoenix right before Christmas. We've killed Javelinas in the McDowell, but it's not an easy hunt, and last year was very crowded on the weekends.

09-Dec-19
Can be very difficult for sure

09-Dec-19
Contrary to what was said above, I don't believe any units near Havasu have true over the counter javelina tags (unless they are leftover after a drawing). Perhaps they used to, but it's been a couple of decades, I think. Many of the units (numbered 1-9) in the far north part of the state have OTC tags, but as mentioned by BOHNTR the forested areas of the state have relatively few javelina. The urban areas of major metro areas like Tucson, Phoenix and Flagstaff also have OTC tags, if you want to hunt around people hiking, bike riding and walking their dogs, but beware you can't shoot a bow within 1/4 mile of a building without the owners permission. Leftover tags near large urban areas like Phoenix are normally pretty rare, and when they occur they go the first day they are available. You'll likely need to pick a unit (likely in the southern half of the state) that is not near a major city if you want to obtain a leftover tag at this late date.

09-Dec-19
Hunt 5083. There are still 283 tags left as of Dec 5th. I hunt it every year. It can be tough but there are javelina.

10, 15A, 15B, 15C, 15D, 16A (except Mohave County Park Lands and National Wildlife Refuges), 18A, 39, 40A, 40B, 41, 42, 43A, 43B, 44A, and 44B (except National Wildlife Refuge

10-Dec-19
Stickflicker you're probably right. May have been leftovers. Just remember I'd go to the Kingman office and buy my license. Wasn't the greatest unit but was fun camping and roaming around. Didn't really know what I was doing either!

• Sitka Gear