KHNC 13-Dec-19
PECO 13-Dec-19
MichaelArnette 13-Dec-19
cnelk 13-Dec-19
KHNC 13-Dec-19
SD BuckBuster 13-Dec-19
12-Dec-19

KHNC's Link
These people came all the way from Australia to hunt with cody carr. She finally saw my review after a terrible week of hunting. Spoke to her on the phone for 15-20 mins. They had a wonderful trip to the states, but hunting with cody in NW Montana was a disaster. Damn shame he still suckers people to come elk hunt every year. He actually went up on his rates and still gets away with it.

12-Dec-19
I hope to do an elk trip when I retire. I will not even look at the reviews until talking with Lou and some others. I just don't place a lot of credibility in them any longer. Whitetail Heaven is another perfect example. You get people posting 'excellent' and then some that say the worst. Who do you believe?

What is great about this site is over time you figure out who to PM and get the straight scoop. I know Pat doesn't have time for it, but when an outfitter receives such mixed reviews, and especially if they are a BS sponsor, can a check of some sort be instituted? Is there a way to know actually what is going on, especially when an outfitter's web site posts one thing and a hunter experiences something totally different, i.e. the meals/lodging/facilities promised and advertised?

I read your review and felt terrible for you. Happened to me as well.

12-Dec-19
It sounds as though you were hunting public land maybe??

12-Dec-19
Yea, I hear you all. I think the problem is usually getting an honest review. And the negatives can be situational. However when a pattern of negatives arise I tend to pay more attention. I think some of the best feedback you will see is people making return trips to a place even if they don't harvest an animal. Those can be tough to get into though.

12-Dec-19
I feel for those guys, helluva thing to fly halfway around the world, just to see a bunch of Wolf tracks.

12-Dec-19
Cody Carr sure gets a lot of bad press, deservedly so I guess. Wish people would look at the reviews before booking with him.

12-Dec-19
Reason #37 why anyone who bowhunts North American big game should be a bowsite addict.

12-Dec-19
Yes, codys place is all public land in NW Montana. This review was not mine. These people were from Australia. My review was last year. Very few elk in that country now. Used to be one of the top elk destinations in the state, before the wolves.

12-Dec-19
KHNC, seem like I remember when you posted your review it started an argument on here because guys were flocking to Carr's defense.

I sure hate reading the bad reviews but almost everyone of them have the exact same end result. IF I WOULD HAVE ONLY RESEARCHED THE OUTFITTER.

Whenever I'm at the big buck classic you can spot the outfitters trying to sale hunts a mile away. They all look like greasy low life used car salesmen.

12-Dec-19
Thanks for the heads up and I’m truly sorry that you and others have been bamboozled by a thief calling himself an outfitter

12-Dec-19
Sorry they had a bad hunt...but like Scrappy said above, why on earth would someone book the hunt in the first place if they'd done just a little internet due diligence beforehand? My sympathy only goes to a point...

12-Dec-19
I agree, coming from Australia, i would have turned the internet upside down! lol. My review and several others easily show up on a search for him. I was going on info from a buddy who did an archery hunt with him 6 years ago. Truly amazing how that place has lost so many elk in that short time. Worse every single year it seems. Cody is a flat out liar. That part i did not know until i met him in person.

12-Dec-19
From a slightly different perspective.. I have a couple buddies/family living in Plains and they know Cody pretty well. I know his success rate overall is pretty bad especially the last few yrs. Probably not all his fault as there’s no doubt the elk numbers in region 1 are not good at all with wolves etc.. But I’ve never heard anything good said about him from locals! He has leases on about anything he can possibly lease, which means less land for the ‘average Joe’ local hunter. (Which is undoubtedly what happens with most outfitters- locals will never like them because it affects their hunting a lot) But he still doesn’t have a good rep! Also has a couple rednecks for guides

12-Dec-19
I was told to ask about the tire shop.

12-Dec-19
$6500 is considered cheap for a elk hunt.

12-Dec-19
There are areas in NW Montana where elk numbers are lower than they have been, but I don't think the area around Plains is one of them. Not that it's ever easy to get an elk during rifle season in NW Montana, as it never has been. Sounds like this outfitter isn't any good (I personally have never heard anything about him), but if you are looking a high percentage chance of killing a bull elk of any kind then NW Montana isn't the place to go. If you want a good chance of killing a bull on public land, then you need to go to SW Montana. If you want a good chance of killing a trophy bull, then pay some rancher/outfitter in central of eastern Montana to kill one of their pet elk on private land.

12-Dec-19
Groundhunter, you might be a little out of touch on the cost of guided elk hunts. They can easily approach or exceed $10,000 for a private land guided hunt.

12-Dec-19
If an outfitter has one bad review I dont consider them for a hunt.

12-Dec-19
Just because an area is no longer conducive to have even a remotely acceptable chance to client's success doesnt mean you have to stop bookings and selling every hunt you can...after all business is business. Dont be so hard on the guy!

But in all seriousness..I agree stay away from this guy for elk hunts. Too many negatives.

Not for nothing his success rates are probbly about the same as lot of whitetail outfitters who do nothing but play musical stands and run 50 -100 guys a year through their leases. Youd have less pressure on public land and I would be surprised if most of those places have any more then a 10% success ratio as well. Yet they are booked year in and out.

12-Dec-19
So I personally live in California, and just from tuning in to various hunting publications and online, I don’t want go to Central or Western Montana to hunt elk, The Missouri breaks sure, the bear paws or elk horns absolutely but you don’t have to talk to to many people to know that W/NW/SW area is in bad shape right now. And so I’m not saying that the Outfitter didn’t miss lead these guys sure it sounds like he did but a little bit of the responsibility goes on the Hunter right to do some homework right?

12-Dec-19
I considered a bear hunt with club members with the guy and the guys backed out. No contracts signed no promises made on my part. Assclown calls me 3 years busting my balls over the fact we didn't book a hunt with him. After researching there was no way I would book a hunt.

13-Dec-19
Groundhunter- as i stated, this was NOT my hunt. It was a couple from Australia. Having said that, I paid 4k for elk hunt last year when i went. He raised his price dramatically this year! And still gets people sucked in somehow. He says what you want to hear on the phone and his success with bears and lions is phenomenal. However, nobody should ever book an elk or deer hunt with him.

I havent heard about the tire shop. I do know that one of his guides got his cabin foreclosed on. Cody bought it from the bank and turned it into his trout creek lodge.

13-Dec-19
I'm still waiting for his response to this negative review.

13-Dec-19
Not sure why any outfitter would guide on public land. Not why anyone would pay a guide to set them up where anyone else can simply hike in

13-Dec-19
'Simply hike in" isnt always possible on all public land

13-Dec-19
^^ that is very true. Cody promises "horseback" hunts 8-10 miles in to get to hard to reach areas. That country is Nasty! Especially in the deep snows of November, when they come. Once we arrived....."Horses are not available for this hunt, you wont need them since the elk are close to the roads"...cody carr 2018

13-Dec-19
Wow, i'd say

• Sitka Gear