Fuzzy 16-Dec-19
bad karma 16-Dec-19
EmbryOklahoma 16-Dec-19
Phil/VA 17-Dec-19
Fuzzy 17-Dec-19
13-Dec-19

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
Usually when I kill pigs, I haul them out in an open field and open them up for yotes and buzzards to finish off. Last month I shot this boar and took his backstraps out along with both hams. So, anyone have any carnitas in crockpot recipe for the backstraps or an idea for cooking the hams?

I'm all ears...

13-Dec-19
Mississippi roast....talking about it on the canning thread. Its awesome.

13-Dec-19
Rub them up and put them in a smoker.

13-Dec-19

Thought I'd post this from the canning thread... it DOES look good, minus the bread and mayo. :) Thanks, Aaron!

13-Dec-19
My son smokes the hams and makes pulled pork, but I just can’t bring myself to like wild hogs. My recipe you named in your first sentence Brotsky.

13-Dec-19
like all cuts of meat separate the muscles and get any glands out prior to cooking. I wouldnt let the buzzards eat it!

13-Dec-19
Nothing but hot blend bulk breakfast sausage for me. Tried smoking them and pork chops but too tough for that. Lots of biscuits and gravy and breakfast burritos at my house.

16-Dec-19
One of my favorites Carne Adovada 1 (3½- to 4-pound) boneless pork butt roast, trimmed and cut into 1½-inch pieces 1 tablespoon Kosher salt 4 ounces dried New Mexican Chiles, wiped clean, stemmed, seeded, and torn into 1-inch pieces 4 cups boiling water 2 chicken bouillon cubes 2 tablespoons honey 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar 5 garlic cloves, peeled 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano 2 teaspoon ground cumin ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper ? teaspoon ground clove

Toss pork and 1 tablespoon salt together in bowl; refrigerate for 1 hour. Place chiles in medium bowl. Pour boiling water over chiles, making sure they are completely submerged, and let stand until softened, 30 minutes. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Drain chiles and reserve 2 cups soaking liquid, add 2 chicken bouillon cubes. Process chiles, honey, vinegar, garlic, oregano, cumin, cayenne, cloves, and 1 teaspoon salt in blender until chiles are finely ground and thick paste forms, about 30 seconds. With blender running, add 1 cup reserved liquid and process until smooth, 1½ to 2 minutes, adding up to ¼ cup additional reserved liquid to maintain vortex. Add remaining reserved liquid and continue to blend sauce at high speed, 1 minute longer. Combine pork and chile sauce in Dutch oven, stirring to make sure pork is evenly coated. Bring to boil over high heat. Cover pot, transfer to oven, and cook until pork is tender and fork inserted into pork meets little to no resistance, 2 to 2½ hours. Using wooden spoon, scrape any browned bits from sides of pot and stir until pork and sauce are recombined and sauce is smooth and homogeneous. Let stand, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Serve with lime wedges. (Leftover pork can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)

16-Dec-19
Rick, I'll try to find the carnitas recipe I used the last time and post here. Phil's carne adovada sounds great! I might even marinade the pork pieces in the adovada sauce for a couple hours before cooking. The recipe I have uses citrus(orange and maybe lime) then you crust it up either in a broiler or a cast iron skillet before serving. Either way, gotta have fresh tortillas: 4C AP flour, 1t salt, 2t baking powder, 2T lard, 1 1/2C water Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. Mix in the lard with your fingers until the flour resembles cornmeal. Add the water and mix until the dough comes together; place on a lightly floured surface and knead a few minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.

Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla(I use a tortilla press). Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side. Place the cooked tortilla in a tortilla warmer; continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough.

16-Dec-19
cut into chunks and can it, grind for sausage, crock pot with 7 up soda, Vidalia onion and Cajun seasoning

16-Dec-19
Oh dang, had a buddy shoot a wild pig up here and gave me a couple pork chops from it and they were tremendous. Tasted like store bought. All this time I've been envying you guys and all that free range pork.

16-Dec-19
I've killed boars up to 300 pounds, never had a bad wild hog yet. I won't waste the hams/ shoulders on sausage, I just freeze them in chunks, and cut them up for carnitas (I make it with my Sous Vide).

Priority one for me, is cooling them down ASAP (I throw a large bag of crushed ice inside the body cavity for transport). I break them down and freeze them as soon as possible (pork fat can get rancid if hung too long).

I marinate the pork loins in Stubbs Pork Marinade, then sear, grill to about 145 degrees internal temp...makes my mouth water, just thinking about it.

Ribs low and slow, for about 3 hours in the oven (foil wrapped, with apple cider vinegar )...finish and sauce on the grill.

16-Dec-19
Rick, can't seem to find the carnitas recipe but have one similar to Phil's. 2 lbs of pork cut into 2" chunks, 3 oranges, 1 lime, 2 chipotle chiles(canned), 1t garlic powder, 1/2t cumin, 2t oregano, 1/2t black pepper, 2T wine vinegar, 1/2t salt. Juice lime and oranges, finely chop chilies. Put all ingredients except pork in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour over pork to marinade then slow cook.

Brandied Barbequed Pork Tenderloin - from the Steamboat Entertains cookbook(highly suggest ordering one if can find online) 2 pork t-loins or a loin, 2/3-3/4 bottle teriyaki baste and glaze, 1/4-1/3C apricot or peach brandy, 1/4-1/3C white wine(not too dry), 4 ozs apricot or apricot/pineapple preserves, 2-3 sticks cinnamon broken into large pieces, 6-8 cloves, 2 cloves garlic sliced in half, 3-4 bay leaves. Combine all ingredients except the pork. Add pork and marinate in fridge overnight. Grill 10-12 minutes on each side depending on thickness. Baste with reserve marinade while grilling. It's not a crock pot recipe but when it's 60 degrees mid-December in Oklahoma you might as well be grilling!!

16-Dec-19
Russ.... that first recipe in your above post sounds right up my alley. Slow cook that dude all day on low, i'm thinking.

Jeff, I did very much like you say you like to do. Got them out quick, iced down right after and then cut all the white membrane and fat off as soon as I got home. Can't wait to cook them!

16-Dec-19
cut all the fat off!? say it ain't so!

16-Dec-19

bad karma's Link
Try this recipe...best heat I've ever found.

16-Dec-19
Not necessarily all of it, Cecil. Just on the backstraps... the white skin membrane more so.

17-Dec-19
Russ, I often marinate the pork in the Adovado sauce for a couple hours.

17-Dec-19
oh good! whew! ;)

• Sitka Gear