orionsbrother 15-Dec-19
Kevin Dill 15-Dec-19
orionsbrother 15-Dec-19
midwest 16-Dec-19
TD 16-Dec-19
Les Van Pelt 16-Dec-19
TrapperKayak 16-Dec-19
13-Dec-19
I need to gift a nephew with a pocket knife for Christmas. What does everyone carry or recommend? Want to keep it around $40 or less. I carry a small Victorinox but not sure that would be cool enough for a 20 year old.

13-Dec-19
Spyderco VG 10 steel might be able to be found for that online. Best VG 10 I’ve ever had. The Delica is an example of this.

13-Dec-19
I've carried a Schrade Old Timer 2 blade for a lot of years. I wouldn't be financially depressed if I lost it but I would definitely be bummed as I've had it so long.

13-Dec-19
SOG Flash II with drop point. Opens one hand very easy, sharp, holds and edge, easy to touch up. That and my M&P Shield are my EDC.

13-Dec-19
Bob Doizer small tab lock trapper

13-Dec-19
I am partial to a CaseXX Knives and like the Trapper and the Stockman in your price range. Whatever you decide, be sure to give a penny with it! (Google it if you don't know why.)

13-Dec-19

timex's embedded Photo
timex's embedded Photo
opine hawk bill & this old folding fillet knife if I could find 5 more of this fillet knife I'd buy em this thing has easily been up through the ribs on 10+ deer a year for 7-8 years it's a great knife

13-Dec-19
Spyderco

13-Dec-19
I've got a couple Benchmade's now which have been great for the past few years, but before that I carried around a Kershaw Leek or Kershaw Knockout. The leek is around $40 and the knockout is $60 or so, both awesome knives and carry well

13-Dec-19

Ucsdryder's Link

13-Dec-19
Another vote for Case, And there still made in Pennsylvania.

13-Dec-19
make sure its lock back what ever you choose, I like the small folding bucks

13-Dec-19
that's suppost to say opinel can't go wrong with an opinel good steel simple locking ring & a great price many sizes to choose from

13-Dec-19
Buck 110. Made in America.

13-Dec-19
I carry a Swiss Army, and I have always thought they were cool. I don't know what 20 year old's think these days. Any 20 year old's here on bowsite?

13-Dec-19
currently and the one I have packed the longest Kershaw 1620. Just sent it back and had all the screw and pocket clip replaced and blade sharpened for nothing. Love the spring loaded, and size of it.

oz

13-Dec-19
Benchmade Mini Griptilian. Made in USA. Quite a few combinations to choose from. Mine is black handle with plain sheepsfoot blade.

13-Dec-19
SOG Flashback and Craftsman razor knife.

13-Dec-19

White Falcon's embedded Photo
Tree brand 4 1/4' trapper or Moore Maker, small Trapper

13-Dec-19
Kershaw 1620. Cant get over the amount of people that don't carry a pocket knife

13-Dec-19
I carry two. A small Swiss Army knife, mostly for the small file and scissors, and the best EDC knife on the market - a Benchmade Mini-Boost. It's an assisted opening folder with a 3" blade, and great locking system. Many assisted opening knives have to be carried locked closed for safety, effectively negating the easy access they should provide. Not this one. I never lock it closed and it's never opened unless I open it. Of course it's well north of $40. A 20 year old should be responsible enough to have a quality knife - one he will have for years. Maybe you could go in with someone else to keep the cost down.

13-Dec-19

TD's Link
Not for hunting, but lives in my pocket, literally use it daily. Gerber Crucial multitool. Use the belt clip for a money clip for, you know, when I have like, money.....

This is my second one, broke the first one but I miss use and abuse the the heck out of them. This one breaks I'd buy another tomorrow.And right at your (and my) price point.

13-Dec-19

12yards's embedded Photo
12yards's embedded Photo
I've had this one in my pocket for almost 15 years. Given to me by a friend. I've lost it multiple times but it eventually shows up. It says NWTF on the blade, but it may be made by Case????? Nice little 2" blade. I've even dressed deer with it when for "who-knows-why" my fanny pack didn't have a knife in it. I'd be bummed if I lost it for good.

13-Dec-19
BTW, Field Supply sometimes has incredible knife deals. Check them out.

13-Dec-19
Leatherman clip-on. Pocket knife and much more.

13-Dec-19
Been carrying a Swiss Army daily for over 20 years. What's not cool about a knife you can saw a small tree down with then pick your teeth!

13-Dec-19
Case! Trapperlock or Copperlock are my favorites.

13-Dec-19
Tough to beat a Spyderco. I've got 2 that I've had for 20+ years. For $5 you can send the knife back to them, they re-edge it and send it back. Pretty solid IMO.

13-Dec-19
Case SOD BUSTER JR IS A GOOD ONE. NOT TOO BIG AND NOT TOO SMALL .

13-Dec-19
Case sow belly

13-Dec-19
Spyderco..had one for 25 years before I lost it.

13-Dec-19
A cheap Kershaw that will get sharp and stay sharp. I don’t know the model but it opens one handed and I bought three at once because I went through a year and lost three knives ??? Haven’t lost one since !

13-Dec-19
Love Case XX knives of all types but too heavy for everyday carry. I do carry a small swiss army knife with two blades and two other screwdriver opener blades but for a great knife: CRKT M16-01S Carson Design, in your price range and is one hand flip open, lock back, strong spine, sharp and sharpens easily. 20 Year old will love the looks and the function - has pocket clip as well.

13-Dec-19
You said $40 So in that range. Check out Browning. The Black Label line

13-Dec-19
Spyderco Delica as mentioned before

13-Dec-19
Kershaw or Case

13-Dec-19

jrhurn's Link
Gerber paraframe. I buy mine from Walmart. Great little light weight knife.

Link included. About $20

James

13-Dec-19

timex's embedded Photo
timex's embedded Photo
this is an opinel # 9 they are made in France this one is around 20-25$ you should Google them the stainless ring spins to lock the blade I couldn't think of a finer economical knife for a youngster

13-Dec-19
I thought we were boycotting Benchmade due to their anit 2A stunt? I also thought Benchmade cost a lot more than $40.

13-Dec-19
Case Trapper or Medium Stockman

13-Dec-19
Buck 503 is a great pocket knife. A bit more that $40 but solid.

13-Dec-19
Case, kershaw, or Old Timer. Can a person own to many knives?

13-Dec-19
I have really enjoyed Kershaw knives for something to carry around in my pocket. Good quality and don't cost a fortune. Assisted opening knives are a must for a pocket knife if you ask me....so look for that.

13-Dec-19
Benchmade Griptilian. About $100., but, in this case, you get what you pay for.

13-Dec-19
Sorry PECO, didn't know about a Benchmade boycott when I bought the knife over 10 years ago.

13-Dec-19
As said several times, Spiderco is a good choice. I recently got a Kerahaw Cryo. Which I think is pretty “cool” , and a seems pretty solid. I think it was in the $40 range on Amazon.

Some guys don’t seem to really get the OPs question I guess. He wasn’t an affordable “cool” knife for a 20 year old kid. I’m sure there are some great and sentimental knives listed above, but a lot of them aren’t too “cool” to the younger guys...

—jim

13-Dec-19
"Can a person own to many knives?"

Too many? No way. If you want cool, I have Glamdring (a replica of Gandalf's hand and half sword) hanging on my wall. But with a 36" blade, it's not exactly a pocket knife. I was disappointed that it was not sharp when I got it, but that was easily fixed. ;-)

I also agree that assisted opening is a must for an EDC knife, and that should increase the "cool" factor and still be legal to carry. Gerber makes one that is serviceable and cheap. I got tired of replacing them every year or so though. Knives are definitely one place where you get what you pay for.

13-Dec-19
CRKT clipknife,flip blade lockback.Rated #1 by Outdoor life when they first came out.

13-Dec-19
I never thought of knives along the same lines as clothes, where a 20 year old and an older person might have different tastes. You usually gift a knife for the person to keep for an extended period. IMO, Knives are functional, not faddish.

13-Dec-19
Another vote for a Case Trapper. I've had mine now for 40 years. I've never been on a hunt for anything without it in my pocket.

13-Dec-19
Imperial Sodbuster. You get 3 for $22 on the big auction site. Simple, hold a decent edge and classic styling. I use them every day at work and always have a spare or two around.

13-Dec-19
Thanks so much for all of the replies!

I ended up ordering a SOG Flash II and a Kershaw Blur. I'm going to let him choose which one he wants and I'm keeping the other. :-)

I already have a Benchmade auto so don't need another blade but like said....you can't have too many!

13-Dec-19
SOG Tomcat. Got it when I was stationed in Korea in 1989. Shipped from the US not from downrange. Still have the original sheath too.

13-Dec-19
Depends on how much you want to spend and what he uses it for. Hard to beat Benchmade and spyderco, both are great knifes.

14-Dec-19

Busta'Ribs's embedded Photo
My name is Buck. 1975. The one and only...

14-Dec-19
tough to beat the old Buck 110 folding hunter

14-Dec-19
Pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy carrying a Buck 110 in my pocket!

A true 'pocket knife is just there, not bothersome. I own belt knives, both fixed and folding, and 'tactical' knives that clip to the pocket edge, but a true pocket knife is just a small tool. Not planning to use it in a fight or to gut an elk!

14-Dec-19
My Buck is a 112 Ranger, slightly smaller than the 110. I don’t mind the size, feels good to have a little weight below the belt, if you know what I mean, and I need all the help I can get.

14-Dec-19
I've been carrying the same Buck 503 for 25+ years. Great little knife.

14-Dec-19

mgmicky's embedded Photo
mgmicky's embedded Photo
Hard to beat a Swiss Army Farmer. You can cut stuff, saw small trees, and open beer bottles all with one tool! mg

14-Dec-19

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo
Belt, pocket, tactical.

A belt/sheath Buck 500, Schrade LB, Buck 503, Buck 301 Stockman and a Kershaw 1555 cryo. The middle three are my 'pocket' knives.

The Buck 500 is the same size as the 110 but with a 'drop' point instead of 'clip'. Slimmer profile, too.

The Schrade is a hair bigger than the Buck 503, much heavier build.

I like the Stockman even if it doesn't lock because there's always at lest one -sharp- blade out of three ;-)

14-Dec-19
PS the Kershaw has a pocket clip on the other side. I also have the larger version, model 1556. A beast for the price point.

14-Dec-19

Snag's embedded Photo
Snag's embedded Photo
Custom knife with snake snake wood handle.

14-Dec-19

Snag's embedded Photo
Snag's embedded Photo

14-Dec-19

Snag's embedded Photo
Snag's embedded Photo
This Kershaw is a nice size for the pocket. Stays sharp really well. Had it since ‘08.

14-Dec-19

Snag's embedded Photo
Snag's embedded Photo

14-Dec-19
Two cautions about the Kershaw. My wife wanted an EDC knife, and Benchmade doesn't make one small enough for her. So after a lot of research, I bought her a Kershaw Chive. She hated it. First, unless she carried it in the locked closed position, it opened in her pocket. Not very convenient. Second, it uses a liner lock to lock it open. That's difficult to impossible to close one handed since it puts your hand in line with the blade when closing. There are better designs available. Unfortunately, as I said, Benchmade doesn't have an assisted opening in less than about a 3" blade. She went back to a Gerber.

14-Dec-19
For about the past 20 yrs it is a Leatherman on the belt. Carried everywhere but on airplanes or in boardrooms.

I like a Leatherman with a 3” blade, decent sized needle nosed pliers with functional wire cutters, scissors, can and bottle opener and a few screwdrivers. All need to lock open. I’ve worn out three belt sheaths on the one I carry.

As per pocket knives, a Buck Muskrat was my knife for 20 yrs before the Leatherman. No locking blades though. Have not used it since the Leatherman with locking tools came home.

14-Dec-19
The lock is on the Kershaw for a reason. Always use it. Not a problem. Just unlock and use.

14-Dec-19
I'm all about functional simplicity and minimum bulk in my daily carry knife. I've got 2 Case 2-blade jacks with black scales and satin finish blades. The knife does everything from wire stripping to slicing sausage to opening boxes....and a million other tasks. My favorite knife for 20 years.

Buying someone a knife for EDC would be like letting someone buy your broadheads.

14-Dec-19

My little Benchmade

14-Dec-19

DeerMount's embedded Photo
DeerMount's embedded Photo
I have carried a Case knife for over 30 years. Usually a Muskrat, Stockman or a Trapper.

14-Dec-19
I like a yellow handle Case Trapper for rabbit hunting.

14-Dec-19

Hard to choose.

14-Dec-19

14-Dec-19
My Buck 110. Still doing the job after 35 years.

15-Dec-19
Case XX Trapper with as-ground, hollow ground blades. No chrome plating on the blades. Perfect size, great steel, and holds a razor sharp edge thru a lot of use. Still around $45.

15-Dec-19
Another happy Syderco Delica user. Lost a couple, had to pitch on into the bin at airport security, have always bought another.

15-Dec-19
Case Trapper my favorite

15-Dec-19

orionsbrother's embedded Photo
orionsbrother's embedded Photo
Here’s my favorite every day knife. Really light and decent steel at a very reasonable price.

Grohmann Knives. The price is in Canadian Dollars.

15-Dec-19
I like the blade shape on that gknife OB

15-Dec-19
Kevin - Easy in the hand. Light in the pocket.

I don’t know that I’d take one as my main knife on an elk hunt, but I’ve used one on an urban deer in a pinch.

16-Dec-19
Matt, I've lost at least 3 of my little Victorinox knives at the airport. One time, I just threw it in the bin and it went right through. I didn't feel good about having it in my pocket on the plane so turned it in to a TSA dude as I was putting on my shoes . Someone got an ass chewin as I was headed to the gate....lol.

16-Dec-19
I'm thinkin' White Falcon has some TSA connections???? LOL!

16-Dec-19

Les Van Pelt 's embedded Photo
Les Van Pelt 's embedded Photo
Steel Will Intrigue: D2 steel, reversible clip, American made, and about $38 on Ebay. It's a nice sturdy flipper.

16-Dec-19

TrapperKayak's embedded Photo
TrapperKayak's embedded Photo
My two favs.

• Sitka Gear