Brotsky 30-Dec-19
longspeak74 31-Dec-19
wooddamon1 31-Dec-19
Outdoordan 31-Dec-19
12yards 31-Dec-19
HH 31-Dec-19
Owl 31-Dec-19
13-Dec-19
Take a minute and post up any books you guys would recommend reading. It’s almost the off season here so I need some new material. I enjoyed reading the link about Ol-Mossy Horns. But it doesn’t have to be bow hunting only. A few of my favorites are.

1. “Look to the Wilderness”.

2. “Into the deer woods”.

3. Teddy Roosevelt’s hunting books.

13-Dec-19
"Crimson Arrows" by Bowsite's very own Hawkeye.

13-Dec-19
Ditto on Crimson Arrows. David Petersons excellent collection of essays from great writers(although I can't stand the man) called "A Hunter's Heart" is outstanding

13-Dec-19
+1 for Crimson Arrows! Great book!

13-Dec-19
Chapman's is what I like to read right before turning the light off to sleep.

13-Dec-19
100% not hunting related but a very good read, Evel by Leigh Montville. It's a biography of the life and times of Evel Knievel but it explores the darker aspects of his life a good bit. As a kid growing up in the 70's, I loved Evel. I couldn't put this book down once I started it.

13-Dec-19
Opening Day by Dan Bertalan.... (Something a little different; Fiction)....

13-Dec-19
I’ll second Lou’s suggestion of “A Hunters Heart” by David Peterson. Excellent read, and very thought provoking....even though I also don’t care for the author himself.

13-Dec-19
Darker than Night by Tom Henderson.... The true story of 2 hunters in Michigan who were murdered and then fed to pigs by the killers.

13-Dec-19

Treeline's embedded Photo
Treeline's embedded Photo
This is a spectacular read!

13-Dec-19
45 Unforgettable Bowhunters, by M.R. James (contains a chapter on Big Dan Moore);

Bowhunting in Arizona, for those interested in hunting that state (contains articles by many of Arizona's top bowhunters and guides).

13-Dec-19
I'm with treeline. A Splendid Savage is a absolute must read

13-Dec-19
Thanks for the Splendid Savage recommendation. I just bought it. Love books like that.

For Fiction, I'm currently working through Craig Johnson's Longmire series. Easy, entertaining reads.

I really really like John Sandfords Prey Series and Virgil Flowers series, but they are a little darker at times.

The Searchers, by Alan LeMay (oldie but goodie)

For Non-fiction, "To Fly and Fight: Memoirs of Triple Ace" by Clarence Anderson is a MUST read. As is "Baa Baa Blacksheep" by Gregory "Pappy" Boyington

Robert Leckie's books on WWII Pacific are great. Same for E.B. Sledge's "With the Old Breed" and "Helmet for my Pillow"

"A river runs through it" is a much better book than the movie

"The Klondike Stampede" by Tappan Adney

"Charles Goodnight: Cowman and Plainsman" by J. Evetts Haley

"Life and Adventures of Billy Dixon" by Billy Dixon

I have too many more to list. But those are some recents I have enjoyed

13-Dec-19
Arctic Bush Pilot by Jim Rearden

13-Dec-19
X2 StickFlicker, MR James and 45 Unforgettable Bowhunters is fantastic. That book changed the course of my hunting life, and frankly my life. I met big Dan from that book and got hooked on elk hunting and western big game hunting. I think of elk hunting everyday now!!!

13-Dec-19
If you like outdoor-related mystery fiction its hard to beat CJ Box's series featuring Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett.

13-Dec-19
Crimson Arrows is great and so are a bunch that others have been mentioned above!

I am also a huge Clancy fan, both fiction and non fiction, but I like the stuff that he wrote himself, "Without Remorse" is probably one of my favorite books ever!!! Also stuff by Stephen Ambrose and Patterson!! The Green Mile is an awesome book, and I also really like the Godfather books!

13-Dec-19
Holt Collier: His Life, His Roosevelt Hunts and the Origin of the Teddy Bear by Minor Ferris Buchanan.

13-Dec-19
I agree with Jaq's recommendation about Joe Pickett novels by CB Box. Good entertainment. Hard to put down. Must be about 11 of them.

13-Dec-19
Anything by Barry and Gene Wensel and Dr. Ken Nordberg.

13-Dec-19

deerslayer's embedded Photo
deerslayer's embedded Photo

13-Dec-19
Another vote for Joe Pickett novels

13-Dec-19
Wow thanks guys! Lots of interesting reads here. This should hold me over for awhile! I ordered 3 from your list earlier today. I’ll put this thread in my favorites for future use. Keep them coming if ya have any others! Thanks again!

13-Dec-19
Ranch life and the hunting trail . TR

East of the sun, west of the moon. TR/KR

Really great read of early American west the Classic The life and adventures of Frank Grouard.

KH<

Lewis and Clark diary notes.

13-Dec-19
Man eaters of Kumamoto by Jim Corbett

13-Dec-19
I have a 6 book set of Corbett`s hunts....very entertaining.

I always put books on my Christmas lists I give to my family....beats the hell out of Cabelas gift cards.

13-Dec-19
Undaunted Courage

Unbroken

14-Dec-19
Alaskan-Yukon Trophies Won and Lost

14-Dec-19

standswittaknife's embedded Photo
standswittaknife's embedded Photo
I found this book absolutely fascinating.. hunting Alaksa in the 40s and 50s..

14-Dec-19
Another vote for C.J. Box for fiction. Have you read Capstick's books? Always enjoyed reading Jack O'Connor too. My archery books are all non compound, but lots of them!

14-Dec-19
A few of my favs: “The River Of Doubt” by Candice Millard; an awesome true story of Theodore Roosevelt’s greatest adventure. “The Longwalkers” by Jerry A. Lewis, a true classic Cougar hunting book. Both of Jay Massey’s Books are great; “Bowhunting Alaska’s Wild Rivers” & “A Thousand Campfires”. “Islands in the Stream” by Earnest Hemingway. And another vote for “East of the Sun and West of the Moon” by Theodore Roosevelt.

14-Dec-19
Any of Kiplings India books are awesome.

Raurks works are outstanding.

Second on Corbetts tiger and leopard mankiller books.

Cpt Bonneville by Erving Washington is very good.

Again i dont think theres a better book to understand the man that gave us millions of acres of land saved for the citizens of the USA

“Ranch Life and the hunting trail”. TR

KH~

14-Dec-19
"Something of value" Ruark "The Old Man and The Boy" Ruark

14-Dec-19
"Hunting Trips of a Ranchman" and "The Wilderness Hunter" by TR are a couple other classics.

14-Dec-19
When get to thinking you are all that. Pick up a copy of "Seventy mile kid" a story about Harry Karsten. You soon realize you are just a pretender.

14-Dec-19

DiRTY MiKE 's embedded Photo
DiRTY MiKE 's embedded Photo
I just started the empire of the summer moon.

It's hard to put down. Everyone complains how violent society is today. I don't think they have any idea what the Comanche's were doing in the not too distant past. It's horrifying.

14-Dec-19
Another fan of CJ Box - Joe Pickett series. And Rinella's American Bufallo is a good read.

Not hunting related but Flyboys, Unbroken and Lone Survivor were good as well.

14-Dec-19
Anything by CJ Box. Billy Molls “Alaska and Me” was good. Always enjoy Steve Rinella

14-Dec-19
I read Empire of the Summer Moon about 7 years ago and it still freaks me out to think about what the Comanches did to settlers. Today's "violent sociopaths" are pikers by comparison.

14-Dec-19
Read Empire of the Summer Moon in 2011. Loved it in great part because I have lived and hunted across most of the places talked about in the book. Hard to believe the Spanish conquered Central America in about two years and most of South America even faster then stalled out against the Comanche and never advanced into their territory. Tough people.

14-Dec-19
Also really enjoyed 1491 and 1493. Put a lot of stuff together about a lot of things that still resonate today.

15-Dec-19
I just finished Labyrinth of Ice The Triumphant and Tragic Greeley Polar Expedition. I couldn't put it down, its incredible how tough men used to be.

15-Dec-19
I love bowhunting but tend to read some odd books - Japan's Pacific Mandate; Landmarks of Economic Thought; Guns, Germs, and Steel. Maybe its because I am still a student, but books about how the world works have greater appeal to me currently. Very respectfully - Rich

15-Dec-19
Tony Perersen's excellent "Bowhunting Public Land Whitetails" is a good one too.

15-Dec-19
“Give your Heart to the Hawks” was a great read when I was young. It chronicles some of the mountain men that helped explore and conquer the American West. Hugh Glass, Jedediah Smith, Kit Carson, etc.

15-Dec-19
Which Long Walk is that?

Is it the story of the American and Brit who Escaped Russian Work Camp into India?

KH~

15-Dec-19
Hey Jaq. I was reading this thread and I looked up the Joe Pickett series. Was thinking about ordering it. About how long was the average time to read one of those books. I know some read faster than others. But was curious if a couple of evenings would get thru a book or if they were rather lengthy?

15-Dec-19
Empire of the summer moon is good.

Another good one is “Once they moved like the wind”. About the Apache wars.

I love western history.

15-Dec-19

Busta'Ribs's embedded Photo
“Crow Killer- The Saga of Liver Eating Johnson”. Another classic, this is the true story behind the movie, “Jeremiah Johnson”. Truth was far better than fiction, in this case, and as good as the movie is, the book is better. Fantastic western history book.

15-Dec-19

“Tigrero” by Sasha Siemel, is a fantastic story of a Jaguar hunter in the Matto Grasso of Western Brazil. Behind some very brave hounds, Siemel, armed with only a spear, brought down Jaguars that would make our North American Cougar look like lap kitty’s. Another really great book.

15-Dec-19
Ksrancher, they tend to be fairly quick reads for the average person. Most are around 300 pages and the storylines move right along. They are "page turners" It would be good to start with the first one and work your way through since there is a lot of character development and continuity throughout the series. Shoot me your mailing address and I'll send you the first book. Merry Christmas!

If you live near a library they usually have a number of CJ's books, to save from buying them.

15-Dec-19
The Frontiersman by Alan Eckert by far the best book ive read and Ive read it 4 times outstanding book!

15-Dec-19
Peter Capstick books are super good love his style and he brings you to a time and place...the danger and grit of a wild africa.....some say he take too many liberties in his stories ..... so what I'm there to be entertained not prepare evidence for a court of law..

Also really like Russell Annabel who hemingway ( who I think is over rated by the way) said is the best outdoor writer...

15-Dec-19
One with the Wilderness by Mike Mitten

15-Dec-19
Good writing can be like everything else I suppose, a matter of taste. I find Hemingway to be tops, and can’t stomach more than a page or two of Capstick’s bombastic style. Chocolate and vanilla, I guess...

16-Dec-19
Sure...... I find Hemingways choppy style clunky to read...

16-Dec-19
E Donnell Thomas has some very good stuff.

16-Dec-19
I read a lot of outdoor literature. A few of my favorites are E. Donnall Thomas, Jr, Joel Spring, Craig Boddington, Bob Gilsvik, Bryce Lambley, and Curt Wells. Older books include the above Siemel book, Roosevelt, Gordon Macquarrie, Hemingway, and JA Hunter. Some really good old books are Look to the Wilderness by W. Douglas Burden and The Hunter's Heart by Edison Marshall. Both can be found cheaply and are a real insight into big game hunting from the early 20th century.

16-Dec-19

Speaking of historical hunting literature, no list would be complete with out this one, another classic and a glimpse into what it must have really been like, hunting back in the good ole days. This is a really fun thread, keeps reminding me of some of my favorite old books, and ones I haven’t read in a long time. I gotta dig a few of these out now. Thanks to the OP for starting this one.

16-Dec-19
" A Hunter's Heart" by Petersen. Read it in my 20's and was moved by many of the stories.

"The Old Man and the Sea" Hemingway. Listening to this may be better but I can't remember a story in which each word carried so much weight. It won the Pulitzer and is a short but powerful read. Although it not about hunting the relationship between the old man and the marlin can equate to many big game encounters.

Wensel and Rothhaar are also great authors and good reads.

I really love Stephen Kings work and my favorite book of all time is Paulo Coelho "The Alchemist."

Indianabowdude has some solid reads as well:)

16-Dec-19
Kon tiki is a great read about a 4000 mile raft trip across the Pacific. definatly the best book i've read this year!

16-Dec-19
I am gonna check into some of the books listed here, especially the C.J. Box Picket novels.

I recommend Whitetail Magic by Roger Rothhaar (out of print but his son Ryan was selling some this year) and Bows on the Little Delta by Glen St Charles.

BustaRibs, did you know that Jay Massey wrote 4 books? Also he and Doug Borland published a few issues of Alaska Bowman, which are hard to find but great reads.

17-Dec-19
Kon Tiki great book.... Although not a Hemingway fan I would be amiss if I did'nt HIGHLY recommend listening to Charlton Heston narrate Old man and the Sea on youtube...... EPIC

17-Dec-19
For you turkey hunters anything written by Tom Kelly is a must read. Start with the Tenth Legion. I wish that I could write as well as he does.

17-Dec-19

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Read this one many years ago and was fascinated by all the different hunting, fishing, and trapping methods of the Native Americans.

17-Dec-19

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
This man is an amazing human with an amazing life story. Has motivated me to push way beyond what I thought my physical limits were.

17-Dec-19
Fred Bears Field Notes. I got the book at his museum when it was in FL when I was 12 years old, that book really fueled my bowhunting fire.

17-Dec-19
So I guess I’m kinda a redneck simpleton on the verge of illiteracy, but I’ve read almost none of the books listed! I’ve read A River Run Through It, a couple of Teddy Roosevelt books, one Capatick, one Hemingway . I am not interested by the western historical stuff, just not my thing.

Certainly not on a Hemingway level, but I enjoyed Super Slam by Chuck Adams, and to a lesser degree Tom Miranda’s super slam book. I can read, and contrary to popular belief even count, but I generally grab a piece of trash at the airport with a cool looking cover and forget about it 3 weeks after reading...maybe I’m a bad person for that...

—jim

17-Dec-19

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo

17-Dec-19

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Kidding above of course.. This was actually a great read..

17-Dec-19
I think Shug and I are more on the same level. I’m a big fan of the Dr. too ;)

—jim

17-Dec-19
"The Purification Ceremony"...it will leave you looking over your shoulder on your next hunt!

17-Dec-19
Unforgettable by MRJames

Frontiersman also Dark and Bloody River by Alan Eckert

Man eaters by Peter Capstick

Empire of the summer moon

To Heck with Elk Hunting by Jim Zumbo

17-Dec-19
Anything by Stephen Rinella...Meat Eater of course...American Buffalo and Scavengers Giude to Haute Cuisine also very entertaining

18-Dec-19
2nd Rinella’s “Scavengers Guide...”. That was a really enjoyable read. Spartan is dead on with that reco. I have a pile of new books coming from Amazon now thanks to you guys.

18-Dec-19
I forgot to mention the first audio book I ever listened to was Bowsite's own, Hawkeye's "Crimson Arrows". Great stories!

19-Dec-19
River God, by Wilbur Smith.

. . . . .. . .

. . . . . .

Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War, by Robert Coram.

28-Dec-19
TTT. Jaq sent me the first book of the C.J. Box books, great book. If anyone else would like to try it and see if they are interested, pm me and I will send it to them.

28-Dec-19
Just finished “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho, per Hawkeye’s recommendation above, and loved it, just loved it. Outstanding book, I also highly recommend this one. Thanks E for posting that title!

28-Dec-19
Whitefeather, Its about hunting men and is a great read! Carlos Hathcock was an incredible natural shot! Shawn

28-Dec-19
All mentioned already but a few of my favorites:

The Purification Ceremony All of Don Thomas’ books, including the none bowhunting related ones... Chuck Adams Super Slam Fred Bear’s Field Notes Hemingway (aka “the master of the long sentence”) (just my interpretation...)

29-Dec-19
Quite the list. I offer. The Emerald Mile. Author, Keven fedarko. Historic high water run of the Colorado River thru the Grand Canyon. But also quite the history of mans impact of that river. I’ve run that river 3 times.

29-Dec-19
Lots of good ones mentioned above. Hemmingway and Capstick are both favorites of mine but very different.

I just finished "Crazy Horse and Custer" by Stephen Ambrose and really enjoyed it.

29-Dec-19
"Education of a Bear Hunter"... by Ralph Flowers. You wont want to put the book down till its done. About the life of Ralph as he grew up in Washington State, became a trapper and how he became a Professional Bear Hunter hired by the Timber Companies.

30-Dec-19
Anything by Don Thomas or the late Jay Massey.

30-Dec-19
Not technically a 'hunting' book although it begins and ends with two short hunting tales. Lots of good information on being comfortable in the outdoors -

https://www.amazon.com/Keeping-Warm-Dry-Harry-Roberts/dp/0913276405

30-Dec-19
“Blood Meridian” by Cormac McCarthy. I was listening to one of the first podcasts where Jocko Willink was interviewed and he mentioned he had read that book and another military novel more times than any others, as it is one of the best depictions of the true nature of violence. Given he was one of the most decorated military commanders (Ramadi) of our time and an English major, I took note. It didn’t disappoint. Kind of a tough read but McCarthy’s depiction of violence recalibrated my notion of what a good author is capable of. Rinella speaks highly of it as well.

30-Dec-19
Anything by Stephen Ambrose is excellent. He had a great talent of taking someone's story and telling it in a way that makes you feel you were there. Undaunted Courage is one of his best works and should be required reading in any American History course.

31-Dec-19
I second "Blood Meridian", anything by McCarthy is a great read. "Blood Meridian" is part of a trilogy including "All the Pretty Horses". Just started reading "Darker Than Night" as suggested by Big Bear. The guys in this book make the dudes from Deliverance look like choir boys.

31-Dec-19
I'm on a Stephen Ambrose kick lately. His narrative histories read like excellent novels. I recently finished "Ike's Spies", great read. Next cabin trip I'm diving into his biography of Ike called "Supreme Commander" if I forget to pick up "Crazy Horse and Custer", that's gonna be a good one. Hunting wise, many good authors already mentioned above, but don't forget Patrick McManus!

31-Dec-19
I second David Goggins "Can't hurt me". Although it does make me feel a bit like a wuss.

31-Dec-19
Not a bowhunting book, but I thought a good one nonetheless, was Young Men and Fire by Norman Maclean. I've read it twice. About a 1949 fire north of Helena and 12 smokejumpers that lost their lives fighting it. Some might think it gets long.

31-Dec-19
Absolutely. Mc Manus was the best.

The bear who ate Gumbaugh

The books who detail the life of MT man John Colter of Lewis and Clark expedition.

The story of Colter ‘s Run and escape from the blackfoot rivals that of Boones from the Ohio river valley.

K~

31-Dec-19
Blood Meridian is disturbing. I was repulsed by it in the same way a fellow eventually confronts his own capacity for evil.

It’s beautiful in prose and economy. The man has a gift equal to Hemingway. I consider it a right of passage for men of sound and sober judgement.

• Sitka Gear