drycreek 16-Dec-19
JohnMC 16-Dec-19
Glunker 16-Dec-19
Habitat 16-Dec-19
t-roy 16-Dec-19
15-Dec-19

standswittaknife's embedded Photo
Ok here’s the outline. Fall winds typically comes from the north. The pic has north at the top. This is located in southeast Oklahoma. My ideas are as follows:

The turquoise area is about 2.75 acres. This will be our main food plot area. Not sure what to plant here. Currently the Ph is around 6.8.

The blue area above the turquoise area is my plan. I’d like to creat a buffer between the two areas. My thoughts would be to plant switch grass and in the red area as many fruit trees as possible. Leaning towards pear trees.

We purposefully would not hunt the main plot, but maybe the timber around it accept for the Southwest corner is great bedding.

The purple area would be a different huntable foodplot.

Also needed to know is that the south end of the property is a river.

The yellow areas will be brush hogged trails leading from another plot and/or trails for deer to enter the main plot.

15-Dec-19

This photo shows the trails and the other blue are is where a small food plot is established but we need to get rid of several trees to open it up a little

15-Dec-19
Do you live relatively close to the property, Danny? It shows you’re from Colorado. If you can get to the property easily vs only getting to it infrequently would dictate somewhat as to what I would consider planting.

15-Dec-19
I see in your profile your from Colorado. If leasing land in s/e Oklahoma I can assure you that any money you spend will be wasted unless you have someone living on that property. Hate to be a downer debbie but I'm speaking from experience with trying to have a deer lease just across the river in Texas, as well as s/w Arkansas. Any effort you put into it will either be hunted or poached while you're not there as well as anything left on the property will be stolen to buy more meth.

Like I stated above, I hate to be a downer but I have been down that road and it sucks.

One question about your pic above about the steap hill just to the n/w of your food plot location. Is swirling winds not an issue there. A north wind rapping around that hill is sure to swirl.

15-Dec-19
I am in Colorado but have this leased to a buddy who is there frequently. The property is very remote and we cover it with about 10 cell cameras annually and have kept most hunters out. I understand our limitations being remote from the property. Really bought as a long term investment.

Swirling winds can be an Issue but it prevails out of the north.

15-Dec-19
Pear trees are a good choice in that country. They will grow well and deer love them. Keep in mind what ever you plant will need protection from the hogs.

15-Dec-19

We will have to do that.. lots of hogs.. this is a pic from the turquoise area just a couple weeks ago.. buddy took pic ..

Our initial plots did sub par at best..

15-Dec-19
6.8 ph is excellent for that area. Was it a food plot in the past where someone spent a ton of time dumping lime?

15-Dec-19
Looks like to me that hogs have rooted most of that plot. Is that what I’m seeing ?

15-Dec-19
Pears, apples, persimmons are all potentially good choices. I don’t know anything about persimmons (I’m too far north) Most varieties of apples and pears usually need a different variety of tree to cross pollinate with, so I’d recommend planting multiple varieties of each. I would also highly recommend protecting all of your trees by putting fencing rings around them to keep the deer from browsing them off (which they most certainly will do if not protected). If you plant your trees in tubes, you will need to protect the trunks inside of the tubes from rodents girdling them. Window screening works pretty well. I’ve also heard of a guy using a spray on Flex Seal type product and having good luck with it. Do it right and completely the first time vs figuring that you will go back to finish things up later. Been there-done that :-( Disheartening to spend all that time, money, and effort, only to have the deer/rodents destroy your trees.

Enough moisture is key to growing certain plots. Clover is about as low maintenance of a plot that you can grow. Cereal grains are pretty easy to grow as well. Brassicas can be a great draw as well, but sometimes it can take a few few years for the deer to warm up to them. Lots of good general info in the Deerbuilder threads as well.

Do you guys have much equipment to utilize? Whatever you do...enjoy it! Good luck!

15-Dec-19
We have a plotmaster and will rent a tractor with proper attachments to do whatever is necessary..

15-Dec-19
What county did you end up buying in?

15-Dec-19
Seminole

15-Dec-19
I'm a big fan of winter wheat and clovers. I spread awnless wheat and a mix of white clovers in the fall. They will hit the wheat all winter, then it will provide some protection for the clovers in the spring to get them a solid start. Deer will eat wheat seed heads in july and the clover will be strong through fall. Add wheat again and repeat. Very simple, cheap, and effective. The only thing I can't comment on is the pigs, they may be a difference maker on this.

15-Dec-19
Pigs r somewhat plentiful..

15-Dec-19
Catscratch, the pigs will be tearing the wheat down as soon as the heads are ripe. Been there, done that. Unfortunately, in my area you have to plant around the pigs, so some things are just out. I plant wheat each fall, but plow it under and go with IC peas in the spring. I wish I could throw and mow but they will eat anything larger than clover seed that’s laying on top. I’ve even had them eat bean seeds in some areas. They are a damn pestilence ! The best advice I can give anyone about hogs is either fence your plots or shoot the hell out of them for a couple nights as soon as you plant. As soon as the seeds germinate they’ll leave them alone for the most part. If your soil is healthy it has grubs and worms living in it, and they eat grubs and worms. Catch 22 !

16-Dec-19
You will learn to hate pork! Deer will not tolerate them and they will eat & tear up your food plots, feeders or the like. First thing is devise plan w your neighbors to trap correctly, thermal hunt, Heli hunt if possible and have a strict shoot on sight policy. If not, sell it and buy elsewhere.

16-Dec-19
I don’t know anything about persimmons (I’m too far north) Most varieties of apples and pears usually need a different variety of tree to cross pollinate with, so I’d recommend planting multiple varieties of each. I would also highly recommend protecting all of your trees by putting fencing rings around them to keep the deer from browsing them off (which they most certainly will do if not protected). If you plant your trees in tubes, you will need to protect the trunks inside of the tubes from rodents girdling them. Window screening works pretty well. I’ve also heard of a guy using a spray on Flex Seal type product and having good luck with it. Do it right and completely the first time vs figuring that you will go back to finish things up later. Been there-done that :-( Disheartening to spend all that time, money, and effort, only to have the deer/rodents destroy your trees.

16-Dec-19
Danny, I bought some chestnut trees earlier this year and the grower suggested persimmons. "Often the Asian persimmon trees will have fruit on them within one or two years, if not the same year planted. Very precocious!! They are best to plant in Spring, end of March. And if you want to wait til then for Chestnut tree purchases, they also can be planted at same time. Or first week of April. The varieties of these Asian Persimmons are Fuyu and Hachiya. Google for more info. The fruit is consumable, by wildlife, typically 2-3 weeks after the Chestnut harvest. " I'm not sure about how long it takes Pear or Apple trees to get to being fruit bearing.

16-Dec-19
Bowman did you just plagiarize T-Roys post from above?

16-Dec-19
My question was if you plant big area as a feeding area and the smaller area for hunting won't your wind be blowing to the other food plot big one while you are hunting.I know nothing about hogs but would think that it would be worth fencing to keep them out.I am sure there would be an expense but after a couple years would pay for itself or buy a cell activated trap and kill as many as possible

16-Dec-19
I know nothing about how to deal with hogs... and I'm glad as hell that I don't!

If you need someone to come kill some pigs for ya let me know. I'm kind of close (on the southern boarder of KS) and my boys and I have never kill a wild pig, could be fun. ;)

16-Dec-19
Plagiarism on bowsite! First for everything lol. If only someone could tell a guy where to get some writing lessons....

16-Dec-19
Hogs where I hunt in SE Oklahoma will find any soft earth to dig for grubs and such. It's only a matter of time before they root up your fresh earth. IMO. The pigs are what has detoured me from putting a bunch of money in plots. Hell, they will till root up where I mow for access paths to stands before I hunt them once. I've nearly broken my ankle on several walks into my stands because of the holes/caverns they make.

I wish you the best on your journey. Sounds like you've found a good piece of ground.

16-Dec-19
My buddy says there are two kinds of people....them that’s got hogs, and them that’s gonna have ‘em. I sure as hell hope that’s not true or they are gonna take over the nation. A porcine apocalypse !

16-Dec-19
Good luck sounds like fun! But as boy from South East OK ( Hugo-Choctaw county), Seminole county is not South East OK. Maybe East Central. :)

16-Dec-19
Consider eliminating the fruit tree area and enlarging your switchgrass area. Nothing against the fruit but the switchgrass will hold deer if you are not working in the plots once season starts.

16-Dec-19
I plant fruit trees because I like to plant and maintain trees but for a reliable food source for deer I would have to rank pretty low for what they cost and the work they take.About any type of food plot produces more food for longer period in the year than fruit trees.That being said I planted 4 last week and have at least a dozen ordered to plant this spring

16-Dec-19
If I was going to plagiarize something, I think I’d find a more reliable source!

John Smith sounds like an alias to me. I wonder if Joe Biden is up to his old tricks.?

• Sitka Gear