Catscratch 02-Jan-20
Bake 02-Jan-20
Bake 02-Jan-20
Brotsky 02-Jan-20
Bake 02-Jan-20
Lost Arra 02-Jan-20
Shiras42 02-Jan-20
16-Dec-19
I tried the stuff on public land deer. I will post results after I hear some others first.

Do you have success using it on public land educated deer?

16-Dec-19
Yes

16-Dec-19
Not sure. I think the deer just smelled a vanilla man and spooked anyway. I still have half a can I will use up. Maybe chocolate works better.

16-Dec-19
Yes

16-Dec-19
Yes

16-Dec-19
Yes don’t leave home without it

16-Dec-19
Yes

16-Dec-19
Yes. One day I’ll learn how to post videos. I’ve got great footage this year of classic deer hitting jammer scent stream. For those that use it, they’ll know what I’m talking about. They clearly react differently to it.

16-Dec-19
Always

16-Dec-19
Yes

16-Dec-19
Geez.... I think we have a quorum

16-Dec-19
I believe Jaq has a special method he uses by mixing it with another spray as he sets his blinds. You might ask him if he is willing to share how he used it earlier this year........ Badbull

16-Dec-19
It’s good to see coming out of the closet on the jammer.

16-Dec-19
Yes

16-Dec-19
Yes

16-Dec-19
I been waiting for the soild underarm stick to come out, the aerosol is bad for the environment.

16-Dec-19
Yes

16-Dec-19
Yes. I don't always use it. but if winds are swirling and air is humid, then I use it because I have nothing to lose.

16-Dec-19
Now that's almost funny.

16-Dec-19
Why is this reminding me of the old "SCRAPE JUICE" threads?

16-Dec-19
No......it’s unethical to block a deers sense of smell, what’s next blindfolds ! May as well bait them in and use a crossbow! Lol I haven’t tried the stuff yet but I did win a can at a bowhunter banquet last year. I guess I should try it out.

16-Dec-19
Yeah baaaabbbbeeeee

16-Dec-19

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
doe and fawn came from down wind smelling the Nose Jammer
doe and fawn came from down wind smelling the Nose Jammer
the doe was trying to figure out the new smell but kept coming but slowly.
the doe was trying to figure out the new smell but kept coming but slowly.
they both ended up at the tree stand and down wind. Interesting for sure.
they both ended up at the tree stand and down wind. Interesting for sure.
they were suspicious of the smell but hung around. Does it work? I would use it again.
they were suspicious of the smell but hung around. Does it work? I would use it again.

16-Dec-19
I use it. Can’t say it has ever hurt me.

16-Dec-19
I use it. I think it works more often than not

16-Dec-19
Yes

16-Dec-19
I’ve had a lot of positive results using it, but only on my dumb private land deer. Not always 100% effective, but enough that I’m convinced that it definitely helps, even during the late season, when the deer seem extra jumpy.

16-Dec-19
It works well enough that the Founder of the Company owns 4,000 continuous QDMA acres in MN.

What a great country!

16-Dec-19
yes

16-Dec-19
I just got back from South Africa, ( 11 day Hunt ) All 11 days I hunted in a Blind. The first day I didn't use The Jammer and almost every animal smelt me and my PH in the blind. Day 2-11 we used the Jammer and for the next 10 days, some times up to 10 different animals came by, not one smelt us. I believe in the jammer.

16-Dec-19
Anybody ever try it on mule deer?

16-Dec-19
Yes

16-Dec-19
Yes. I had a doe cut across my wind earlier this year. She did the same thing as Paul’s 2nd picture. Kept sniffing but couldn’t seem to figure out what the smell was. She ended up walking toward me into the wind. She now resides in my freezer.

17-Dec-19

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Nose Jammer
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Nose Jammer
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Nose Jammer
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Nose Jammer

17-Dec-19
Empty Freezer, I use it on muleys, whitetails, and elk with success. Shot my bull this year at 7 yards in shifty wind and my muley buck at 15 downwind.

17-Dec-19
Yes it seems to work, l ike it.

17-Dec-19
Yes, but wondering if deer will begin to associate with danger.

17-Dec-19
"It works well enough that the Founder of the Company owns 4,000 continuous QDMA acres in MN. What a great country!?"

Good one, Charlie lol...

17-Dec-19
“ Yes, but wondering if deer will begin to associate with danger.”

Not if you kill em

17-Dec-19
Good one cnelk. Right. Dead deer don’t talk.

17-Dec-19
OK, you guys got my attention.

Which product should I use for whitetail deer, treestand hunting?

Here in Alabama, the rut is just starting to get interesting. Saw three bucks chasing two does last Sunday afternoon.

17-Dec-19
I don't recall one no answer. Guess I'll try it.

17-Dec-19
Just the regular old red can Russell. Spray it on the tree behind you for a good 10-15 seconds. You can also spray it on the base of your tree if you wish. A lot of guys spray it on their boots for the walk in, I personally do not.

17-Dec-19
Thanks Brotsky. That's what I was thinking.

17-Dec-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

17-Dec-19
Precisely...have two of them on order.

Like your arrows too. The reflective tape. I use two pieces for each arrow.

17-Dec-19
This is incredible that all these guys agree that it works.. I'm gonna spray it in my shorts so when I fart I will smell like vanilla.. maybe I'll try it on the wife first. :)

17-Dec-19
I smelled the stuff for the first time last weekend. It smelled nothing like vanilla to me.

I've been saying it for years, cover scents are far more effective than any "no scent" products. That said, I don't think there's anything magical about nose jammer. A number of products will cause the same response from deer and elk....even mint flavored chewing tobacco.

Matt

17-Dec-19
Empty Freezer, my wife farts all the time too, let me know how it works.

17-Dec-19
My results are similar to others. It may keep a deer around long enough to get a shot. My impression was that it smells like vanilla mixed with wd40. No idea what it actually is though.

17-Dec-19
I used it once several years ago. Results were not so good.

17-Dec-19
Grey Ghost can add it to his list of things he's never tried - Sous vide and Nose Jammer :)

17-Dec-19
At least GG upgraded to a cordless phone. That's progress!

I spray a light spritz of NJ on my decoys too. No other scent. Bucks will stick their noses right on the decoys.

Matt, I think I've tried every cover scent made, including pure turpentine, and have never had any other produce the same reaction.

17-Dec-19
This just doesn’t pass the “sniff” test for me. Come on Brostsky fess up! Did those bucks come from Minnesota on the 4000 contiguous acres of QDMA property! Owned by the CEO of Sniffer Stopper! I’m on to you guys! Fanboys LOL

17-Dec-19
Lou, did you ever try Essence of Fall? It used to be widely available in retail shops back in the 90's, but now is only available online for the most part. Similar to NJ, it has a sweet/citrusy smell, but doesn't have the marketing hype that NJ has. It lingers for a long long time, without being overly offensive. Kinda like the old lady in the grocery store with too much perfume on. You walk by her, get a strong whiff, then you keep smelling it for several minutes, if not hours, afterwards.

Cnelk, have you ever had an elk stick his nose in your ear and drool on your shoulder after spraying NJ on yourself? That's exactly what happened to me after spraying Essence of Fall all over myself.

And BTW, I had sues vide chicken at my cousins house last weekend. It was better than the meals he normally cooks, but..... ;-)

Matt

17-Dec-19
Yes

17-Dec-19
My hunting partner had a cow elk bite the hat off his head and tug on the hood of his hoodie while using no cover scent or anything else. He came back to camp to show me the bite-cud marks on the hat and swestshirt.

17-Dec-19
Yes.

17-Dec-19
Anyone tried Pete Richard's cattle scent as a cover scent? I've used it a little in areas with cattle. Seems to make sense if you'll forgive the pun.

I started a thread on Skunk scent which used to be popular as a cover scent, but I'm not a big believer in it at this time since it may indicate warning, but on the other hand it does seem to be a natural nose jammer...

17-Dec-19
I have used NJ mostly on my boots walking in and I think that it works. Of course there is still some on my boots while in the stand. Why do the directions have us spray the tree instead of something like our packs or clothes? If we spray our packs the scent can accumulate and goes with us. Seems to me to be a better way of using it.

17-Dec-19
goyt, I think they advocate for that method of usage in order to prevent you from walking around smelling like a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch. Something I would not recommend in bear country for instance.

17-Dec-19
NO, I guess I can look like the idiot but I tried it and spooked every deer than came by me. I was told by our local archery shop owner I was using it wrong so I did everything he said and went out and spooked some more deer in 2 states. Gave the can away!

17-Dec-19
Funny Brotsky mentions bears. . . .

Was elk hunting this year and had a big older bear come into the wallow I was sitting. It was early afternoon and the wind was squirrelly. But I had sprayed Nose Jammer around on foliage and the tree I was hiding behind.

THe bear came in and sat down in the wallow. Just chilled for a minute. I could feel the wind shifting. He/she stuck his nose in the air and was really trying to smell something. Couldn't pinpoint what it was. Finally got a little nervous, and got up and somewhat calmly left the wallow.

I have no doubt that bear was trying to catch my scent, but could only smell the nose jammer.

And that is pretty standard for how it works. Deer smell it, put their noses up, but when they can't pinpoint it, they either somewhat nervously leave, or they go back to their business.

I'm a believer. I've just had too many instances where it has worked. Dozens, literally

17-Dec-19
RD, you might be one of the unfortunate people I mentioned above who simply smell to animals. Could be a lot of factors in play. A guy I used to hunt with was super-anal about scent control. Yet I, with my compromised sinuses, could still smell something funky about him when downwind.

17-Dec-19
You can still get Essence of Fall? I loved that stuff! Smelled like a combination of Christmas tree and composting oak leaves. I literally sprayed it in the house it smelled so good. Didnt know it was still available, going to look into that next year.

A wildlife photographer friend bought me a bottle, said he swore by it. So I tried it. I do think it helped a few times, getting downwind deer to stick around and not bolt. I dont always use it, forgot it more than not this year... but used it some. I think it's neutral at worst so it if makes you feel good, rock and roll...

17-Dec-19
I was convinced this was a marketing gimmick and complete crock of shit. After reading this thread, next year I will be conducting some experiments, see what happens.

The only time I ever tried cover scent, it spooked everything. Now, I'm thinking this is worth a shot.

Whoever started this thread should get a cut of Nose Jammer's 2020 profits.

17-Dec-19
By the way, I'll give the big NOD here to Jaquomo. . . . His posts on Nose jammer got me to start using it. As he's a killer, and not someone I believe who is subject to gimmicks. . .

17-Dec-19
Will,

Yes, Essence of Fall is still available. I kinda forgot about it when it became hard to find in the usual sporting goods stores. IMO, it was the original NJ before NJ became popular. Just goes to show you what a good marketing and advertising campaign will do for a product.

To be honest, I think good ol' camp fire smoke makes as good a cover scent as any. Everyone knows how it permeates your clothes, and animals are used to the smell of smoke, so they aren't normally alarmed by it, in my experience. Of course, everyone has their own anecdotal evidence to draw upon.

Matt

17-Dec-19
my elk hunting buddy sprayed some type of scent on his clothes and before the raging bull could arrive he was swarmed by bees. Be careful out there.

17-Dec-19
If you want to hunt every day no matter the wind direction and kill deer do this. Buy or build a hard sided well sealed up blind. Buy an ozonics and place it in down wind window. Buy some nose jammer and spray it on you and around that down wind window. Kill deer

17-Dec-19
Bake...I have to give my wife the credit for exposing me to it first. We were at the Iowa Deer Classic several years ago, walking along and checking out the booths and vendors. Pretty soon, I look and she’s not beside me. I looked back and she was standing at the Nose Jammer booth, talking Tom Redmond, the guy who introduced it. This was the first year he started marketing it. I walked back and listened to his spiel. I thought to myself “yeah, right!”, but she was convinced that we needed some, so I told her to buy a can if she wanted to, which she did.

It sat on the shelf at my workbench for 2 years. Finally, I thought I’d give it a try during the late season, down in a food plot below my house. The deer can come from any direction down there, and, especially during the late season, they are super skittish and almost always bolt first, and ask questions later. The first evening I tried it, I had at 10-15 does come in from downwind and not one of them spooked. As soon as they hit the scent stream, they would work their noses in the wind like crazy, some for 5 minutes or more, but would eventually give up and eventually worked their way out into the plot. I’ve had it happen the same way dozens of time. Had them spook a few times as well, but exponentially more positive than negative responses.

Hopefully, she doesn’t read this....I hate it when she’s right!

17-Dec-19
Good description above. They smell something then settle down if you don't spook them.

17-Dec-19
5575, don't forget running a Sous Vide in the window too... or you can forget the box blind and the Ozonics and do what almost everyone else on this thread is doing. It does say to use caution in bear country right on the can, but pretty sure Nick Muche uses it at his grizzly blinds. BTW, I now hunt every day no matter the wind direction, on the ground, almost always in natural blinds or spot-stalk.

Anecdotal, photo, or video evidence... I would love to see a video of deer sniffing the downwind scent stream of somebody in smoked-up clothes, waving their noses around in the air, and eventually walking right in. I've been around plenty of animals when wearing smoky clothes and hair, and when they get downwind, they still run. Same with every other so-called "cover scent" I've ever tried, including pure vanilla, pure turpentine, Scent Shield in all flavors, Russell Hull's vanilla based Cover Up, and Scrape Juice (which I had the privilege to field test before Muzzy first introduced it. Still have a couple bottles in the freezer).

But I do think smoke may help a little with animals that get a little whiff way downwind - for those who don't use NJ.

17-Dec-19
It’s usually in the 90s till mid October down here with no dominant wind, it’s definitely not full proof but I think it’s really helpful for me. To each his own

17-Dec-19
I have video evidence of deer throwing their noses up, waving them around, then walking in to lick the bush I'd been spitting snuff on all morning. I've even spit snuff directly on deer below me with no reaction from them at all. Does that prove Copenhagen Wintergreen Long Cut is the ultimate cover scent? Probably not.

I used one of those doe in estrous Scent Bomb cans the morning I killed my buck this year. I have a box of them that were given to me by the manufacturer when I was outfitting. It was only the second time I'd ever tried one. My buck nearly stepped on the can as he followed a doe right under my stand. The wind was dead calm based on the smoke that was wafting from the cigarette in my mouth when I sent an arrow thru his chest at 5 yards. Does that mean Scent Bomb and cigarette smoke are the ultimate cover scent? Probably not.

I have no doubt Nose Jammer works. I just think the principles that make it work aren't unique to only that product. But, I guess some hunter's anecdotal evidence is more proof positive than others.

Matt

17-Dec-19
I gave up on scents for deer years ago. Our deer are few and far between. They are skittish as anything. I only groundhunt and just play the wind and thermals. I find that when deer up here smell a foreign smell, they bolt, especially older deer. Even apple oil, if not in an orchard, puts them on alert. One winter, I took a bunch of apples into a wilderness winter yard and left them on a deer trail. They never touched them. The coyotes did though. The same with acorns as we have no oaks up here. Drop a cedar or maple though and they will strip it.

17-Dec-19
No

17-Dec-19
That's funny you say that GG because out of the 6 guys that hunt with me in Illinois I'm the only one that uses Copenhagen and I get winded the least, actually hardly ever. I will say the only two products I've used that I definitely think worked was NJ and Evercalm

17-Dec-19
I’m of the opinion that you can not fool a whitetail, so I have not tried it or the many other scent control/cover/eliminate schemes.

17-Dec-19
RMhunter,

The concept isn't that difficult. If the cover scent effectively overpowers your human odor, and is not a smell that deer associate with danger, it works in my experience.

As an experiment, I'm gonna hang a "new car" scent wafer on my jacket next year. Imagine how many blown minds there will be if I kill. LOL!!

Matt

17-Dec-19
If you're up in a tree and they come in from upwind, you could pour gasoline all over yourself and make the claim that gasoline "works".

17-Dec-19
Only if the wild game didn't associate gasoline smell with danger, Lou. I've seen deer and elk feed on corn piles that were next to gas tanks.

I'm glad you found a product you believe in. I think numerous products work the same way.

Matt

17-Dec-19
This is the way I think of NoseJammer...and I may be entirely wrong but it helps me conceptualize why it might work.

If you have ever had two people talking in a room at the same time...you can choose to listen to one or the other. But you can't really "listen" to both, though you can hear both. Generally the voice that is louder or deeper is the one that draws my attention. For you cultured gentlemen - think of Les Miserables when Jean ValJean is doing the scene with Javert and both are powerful but you pick one to listen to. Okay...maybe I have gone of on a tangent.

But that is how I think of NJ. They can smell me and NJ but the NJ draws their attention more and they have a hard time focusing on my stink but are taken/distracted with the NJ. Now if you were to give the deer some adderall I would be toast. Maybe.

I do question if I were to use it frequently in the same area if it would become less effective.

17-Dec-19
"I do question if I were to use it frequently in the same area if it would become less effective."

I still wonder the same. I used it on my last hunt. It seemed to work. Then I noticed deer tracks in the snow right around the gut pile, and all the way through the short drag. The deer had to smell the NJ. Will they start to associate it with danger.

I shot a button buck. I just imagine the older deer standing around the pile saying "I told Bob I never smelled that, you go check it out. See what happens when you're too curious. Learn from this!". LOL.

17-Dec-19
I’ve walked up to smells that I wished I wouldn’t have, but couldn’t stop from getting closer. Wild game are no different.

Mattt

17-Dec-19
How will they begin to associate it with danger if there are no negative consequences from it?

I have honestly wondered if deer can become acquainted with MY scent? On my main farm I’m there quite a bit. 40-50 fall deer hunts. Probably 20-25 late winter scouting and stand hanging sessions. Another 10-15 days turkey hunting. Another 10-15 days summer scouting and trail cam running . . . They must smell my scent a lot. And I rarely kill one of them. So where is the danger from me?

I was leaving my office this year around noon for an evening hunt. Fully clothed for a hunt. The next door realtor office was having a public relations cookout. And they invited me to grab a hot dog for the road. One of the realtors remarked that I probably wouldn’t wanna smell like a hot dog . . . I just shrugged, while thinking “why would a deer be scared of a hot dog?”

17-Dec-19
Bake,

I have killed 5 deer on my farm this year. I am sure they smell me at the gut pile. They seem to associate danger when they hear rifles start banging, could they not associate smells with danger?

I am convinced older does teach their young danger locations. Maybe I give them too much credit?

17-Dec-19
Bake, great food for thought. I had the privilege of hunting for red stags and fallow deer on a very large tract in Australia that had been closed to hunting for 30 years. Nobody was in those mountains except me and my two Aussie mates. Those animals were as scent-spooky as anything I've ever experienced on hard-hunted public land here in the states.

Conversely, the deer and moose around my mountain place are so accustomed to nonthreatening humans that our smell has no effect on them.

Why would red and fallow deer freak out at our scent if they've never been hunted, only occasionally had a random benign encounter with a rancher on horseback? Is it because humans smell like predators?

18-Dec-19
Now that is a fascinating discussion Bake. I have always thought that we give them way too much credit. Deer cannot reason, they only have survival instincts. That instinct tells them that human scent means danger. Now you come into the learned behavior portion of that. In learning that survival instinct we have to consider what smells a deer considers to be dangerous? I don’t think all deer are the same as the doe likely has many different experiences to learn from or not learn from. Could she teach her young that NJ means danger? I’m sure she could. However she would need to tie NJ to a negative experience. That is where we take a huge leap in giving deer too much credit IMO. They can’t tie those together in my mind.

18-Dec-19
I only hunt public land here in Illinois and don't go in the woods without it. I constantly have deer downwind of me and they just go about their business.

18-Dec-19
How does it work on older deer? I'm talking, on the 4.5 yr old or older bucks and does. BC

18-Dec-19
Perhaps if they smell it, then see you move, or make a lousy shot (we don't like lousy shots) they could learn the scent.

18-Dec-19
I'm no expert, but I think it would have to be a very close thing for them to associate it with danger.

Think about man's best friend. . . . I just got a dog back from a trainer. This trainer trained my dog to find and retrieve shed antlers. But he is big into detection dogs, tracking dogs, bird dogs, etc. He's a no pain guy. Positive reinforcement only. He believes in, and teaches, what he calls "CHING" training. . . . And if you've been around dogs much, it makes perfect sense.

His first step in training is to say "Ching" and give the dog a treat. It won't take long for the dog to associate "Ching" with a treat. Then he can use the word "Ching" to signal a dog that it has done something correct and will get a treat. So if he's potty training a dog, most of the time they're out of reach when they go. . . .so when they potty, he says "Ching" and then gives the treat when he can get to the dog. With repetition, they realize that Ching means a good behavior, and they get a treat for it. Works really slick. My dog picks up an antler, I say "ching" and he runs to me knowing he's gonna get a treat because the picking up of the antler was the good behavior

That's a freaking dog that they work with all the time. It takes multiple repetitions to get them to associate Ching with a treat. Then more repetitions until they learn it signals a good behavior, and they get a treat.

I honestly don't know if deer instinctually fear human scent, or whether they are taught it by their mother. and so on and so forth. . . . . Because I saw the opposite of Jaq's red stag thing in Ireland. Killarney, Ireland has a big park right in it. Wild, free range red stags. With absolutely no fear of the humans walking around. They had to learn that humans weren't fearful, in the park at least. . . .

So how many repetitions would it take, with negative consequences, for a deer to learn NJ is dangerous? I would say it would take a lot, and it would have to be very close together for them to associate that smell with something negative

18-Dec-19
I think a lot of this discussion hinges on where you live, deer density, hunting pressure, etc. Also, how you hunt factors in. I am very mobile and using brush blinds or a ghillie makes it fairly easy to play the wind at a moments notice. Hunting thick timberlands and cutoffs with thick whips means that deer just appear. I think I would need a steady stream of Nosejammer to be effective. Much cheaper for me to just play the wind.

18-Dec-19
Bake - that sounds similar to the Clicker training model but minus the actual clicker.

Relative to NJ danger association - Saturday I had 5 does around me. I shot one of them. As I am watching the one I shot run off, the others scattered. Unbeknownst to me the two older does in the group end up down wind of me about 30 yards away. I am leaning way around the tree trying to keep my eye on the shot deer. They end up seeing me during this - while I am sure they were smelling the NJ. I suspect that's a pretty straight forward cause and effect even if they do not understand their sister is dead.

They know there is a boogey man in the tree and smell NJ. Deer pick up on the threat of humans pretty quick. I just helped these two with a pretty simple association.

18-Dec-19
"So how many repetitions would it take, with negative consequences, for a deer to learn NJ is dangerous?"

I'm betting it would only take one negative encounter for an old wily buck to associate NJ with danger. The dog training analogy doesn't quite work for me. Survival instincts are different than trained behavior.

Matt

18-Dec-19
Plus, some of those deer that were fooled by the NJ, are no longer with us. The ones that witnessed their buddy getting shot might possibly associate the smell with danger, but I would think it would take more than one incident for it to register. Also, the deer in my area don’t seem to associate danger with farm machinery vs vehicles. They oftentimes will stand out it the field as the combine rolls by within 30-40yds of them. Same thing with tilling, planting, etc. They will stand at the edge of the field and watch you go by them, sometimes multiple times, seemingly unconcerned, yet if you drive into the area with a vehicle, they won’t tolerate that.

18-Dec-19
Interesting discussion. Deer are hunted hard in our area. All of the adjacent properties are hunted. We kill a number of does to keep the herd in check. I have to believe that that has to be done in most areas. The deer seem to know that they are hunted. I think that the best I can do is to not let the deer know that I am hunting them in my area. I also think that I alert a lot more deer than I am aware of. On rainy day I see deer walking in often in my head lamp. other times I don't but I bet that they still are aware of me. Many years ago a lot of us were using skunk essences. It made it so that I could not smell anything for awhile and I understand that it did the same for deer. It worked great for awhile. Thank goodness the deer started to associate skunk essence with danger and I stopped using it. Regardless how careful we are deer have to see us moving to glass another deer, stand up to pee, get a bottle of water out of our pack and a like. They also hear us and smell while we are there and after we leave. I think that it is a concern that the deer will start to associate NJ to danger. However I plan on using it until I feel that that is happening. It use beats skunk essences. I may not use it on days where there is little to no chance of being smelled so that it's smell is not in the area after I leave.

18-Dec-19
Sprayed some on a trail cam and have a video of a huge 10 pt licking it

18-Dec-19
I'll see if I can get a pic on here...

18-Dec-19
I agree with GG and Hoyt, it just seems to make sense they will adjust, especially on a small property where interactions are more common.

18-Dec-19

Elite 1's embedded Photo
Elite 1's embedded Photo
This is the only buck I was after this year. Had him all summer in velvet thur hard horn he stayed in those woods. In November I had him on cam at 830 am so I got off work at noon to sit that day. A kid and his girl friend went down a trail that ran 200yds from my stand and buried there suburban I have never seen a vehicle down that trail before. A tractor came down there and tried to pull him out broke the chains so that vehicle sat there for four days After that I never seen that buck day or night still haven’t. I sat in that stand and had all the other bucks I had seen on camera show up but him. I am trying to correlate this with the thought of nose jammer And a foreign smell to a mature buck. One of the biggest things for a mature buck is security if he doesn’t feel secure most likely he will move or change his routine. I really don’t think the jammer has that much power to do that I’ve had to many positive reactions from it.

18-Dec-19
Tough telling with those wise older bucks. They really are something to be proud of when you get one down.

18-Dec-19
I bet when the deer adjust we'll see NJ ++

18-Dec-19
Elite 1 - your situation was also in November. A time of year when bucks routinely go missing for days.

Deer can definitely be conditioned to humans not being a threat. Look at all the "wild" deer that people can feed from their hands. Pure conditioning. Like bear baiting, I try and leave as much scent behind as possible conditioning the bears to my scent and food showing up at the same time. I would also say that most bears, on most bear hunts know there are humans in the trees, they just decide to come in anyways. Deer are no different.

On the NJ, I use it when I hunt in the off chance that something gets down wind I hope it's nose gets "jammed." Obviously works a lot of the time. Sometimes animals get nervous and leave. But they never stand there blowing for 5 minutes.

I conducted an experiment on a heavily used trail 30 yards from a few trees I often hang a stand in this year and sprayed the jammer on a number of trees there a few times in a row when I went to check the camera card. My idea being that I would condition the deer to the smell of jammer with no negative side effects. It SEEMED like the deer traffic went down. My theory being that their nose is actually getting "jammed" and they don't like it. If your #1 source of defense gets taken down, you're not going to like it. After that, I only use it when I sit, and on my boots before I walk in. I also spray it on my clothes, pack etc. The can used to tell you NOT to spray it on clothes and I always wondered why not. It seems this years version gives it the thumbs up.

18-Dec-19
APauls, I also spray it on my pack instead of the tree to lessen the chance of deer associating it with my odor after I left. Great information about deer avoiding an area with NJ. Now it makes even more sense to take the NJ out with me. Thanks

18-Dec-19
Adam, I haven't seen that with deer or elk after I leave, but my camera sample size is small. I'm still not sure how much it "jams" vs. simply being a strong pleasant smell that makes them not notice human scent. I've had plenty come up and sniff/lick my sprayed decoys when there was no human scent in their path, and they seemed to like it. Also had them walk right up to my fallen log blinds, sniffing their way in, with me hunkered down there.

I do know that the fleece elk hunting pack I last sprayed on Sept 27 still smells like NJ, so it does linger, for sure.

18-Dec-19
My understanding of nose jammer and how it works is like this.... It’s a natural smell that exists everywhere. This is just a very heavy dose of it. So it isn’t a “foreign” smell. They are smelling it since the time they are born.

All the nose jammer does is overloads their sensory so they can’t smell anything else.

It’s a smell that exists everywhere.

18-Dec-19
At first I thought all you guys were breaking the OPs balls......

This stuff really works though, eh?

I gave up on scents many years ago, until EverCalm came out. It seemed to work... but even that I only used a few times over maybe 2 seasons and haven't used it in the last few.

If a guy had to pick just one product - Nose Jammer, Ozonics, or EverCalm... which would you pick???

18-Dec-19
I might pick one you didn't include...Elimishield - not enough people seem to know about it to know for sure if the claims I have read are legit. It seems to be dedicated to killing scent causing bacteria.

18-Dec-19
I use tonquin for trapping and have deer check out my sets. Sometimes they step in them and pull out. Never tried it for deer hunting because it is really strong and lingers on you. I just got home from a fire dept meeting and our dept lab wouldn’t leave me alone. I was wearing my trapping coat.

28-Dec-19
Today was the first time using Nose Jammer. I was about 18 feet up in a tree and sprayed it on the tree and myself when I first got settled before sunrise.

I had two young bucks that came in about 15 yards and while they are departing they put their nose up and we're smelling something. The winds were swirling and I'm pretty sure they were smelling the Nose Jammer spray. They were not alarmed and I believe this item worked as advertised.

28-Dec-19
I was standing on the ground with another hunter and shot this guy at 40 yards downwind. He was with 2 other bucks trailing a young doe. I was not using a gimmick spray nor would I condine such nonsense. For those of you hunting in a tree, keep in mind there can be several speeds and directions of wind in just 20 ft of elevation. Also, many old bucks will throw caution into the wind (literally) during certain days of the rut and completely ignore human scent. These companies thrive on guys that promote this crap.

28-Dec-19
There are some ethical questions about the way this disables the game animals olfactory sense in the minds of some people.

29-Dec-19
Is that another one of your rifle kills, Thornton? Also, maybe there were several different speeds and directions of winds going on, when you ASSUMED that buck was downwind of your position with the other 2 bucks, trailing a young doe. (I would never condine OR condone it when someone assumes anything) For you guys on the ground, keep in mind the wind can ALSO have different speeds and directions.

Here’s an idea....If you think it’s a gimmick and doesn’t work......DON’T BUY IT!! It’s called a free market.

29-Dec-19
I just play the wind and take my hits.

29-Dec-19
Oh boy Thornton, here we go! Sit back and watch this thread explode. Up here, if you shoot a buck like that 40 yards downwind, the wind stream curled before it got to him, or you shot a deer so old, the poor old bastard had dementia. I play the wind, but if someone has luck with scents, go for it. The same with camo for me, I wear plaid, always on the ground. My good luck charm is my face mask and molasses cookies. Newfies swear by those cookies for good luck.

29-Dec-19
Never heard of it, where you get it?

29-Dec-19
T-Roy.If you followed all the parts to my archery only semi live thread this year on the Kansas forum you would have seen I repeatedly stalked close to numerous shooter bucks and passed on them. One was 20 feet away. I've killed deer with a bow for 24 years including traditional archery.

30-Dec-19
If you passed on them, why would they be called "shooter" bucks?

30-Dec-19
Maybe he wanted " shooter" doe.

30-Dec-19
Can you point out the spot on this doll where nose jammer touched you Thornton?

30-Dec-19
The internet is is a beautiful thing. It provides a platform for people to express strong opinions on topics about which they have no clue.

30-Dec-19
Got winded by an unseen Coues deer last night. Blew at me directly down wind, probably 50 yds away in the mesquite. This morning a doe came by at about 6 yds downwind....boy was she wired but never blew and did walk past. I was using my first can of Nosejammer in both cases after reading this thread. So far....50/50. More research to be done.

30-Dec-19
Midwest, I guess because most would have shot them.

30-Dec-19
This thread prompted me to try NJ for the first time a week and a half ago on my final Whitetail hunts of the year. The predominant wind direction was not great for a couple of my stands in relation to the bedding area, but they are also some of the more active spots so being the last hunt of the year I said F it and tried the NJ. Sprayed the base and trunk of my trees around the stand with just a couple second squirts before and after climbing up. For those 2.5 days, I had multiple deer, both does and bucks approach from down wind and walk right under the stand. I also had some that hung up and wouldn't come.... I'm guessing it was a 70/30 success to lose ratio. The last night, 2 very large shooters came directly from down wind and walked within 10' of the base of my tree without so much a sniff...unfortunately too late and dark for me to find my pin, watched them walk (these older eyes really are starting to suck!) Anyway, I am not sure it is the end all, but I saw enuf in that small window to make sure I have it in my pack again next season! Kip

30-Dec-19
Maybe I didn't spray enough this morning. 4 flags downwind. Afternoon hunt better, shot a deer and waited for the others to leave. They went downwind but no telling if my scent cone was above them. My stand was about 18' up, deer about 55-60 yards away for several minutes.

30-Dec-19
My guess is if you couldn't get him on a forky, then my thread might upset you. https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/regional/thread.cfm?threadid=248271&messages=81&state=Ks

30-Dec-19
Just replying to your adolescent jab but could honestly care less. Congrats to your kid. Looks like a nice young buck with huge body. I'm sure the nose jammer will help him shoot many more bucks that age...

31-Dec-19
Thornton, maybe you would have found better success during your thread had you used nose jammer? Seems to work for Lou, myself and others on bucks even an accomplished hunter such as yourself would consider to be somewhat mature.

31-Dec-19
Thornton.. If I was you, I’d quit while I was behind.

And yes, I use NJ based off Lou’s review. Ive used it In Pa. , Ohio, I’ll., Iowa. Prolly running 70-30% or 65-35%. Not too shabby.

31-Dec-19
Gimmick.

31-Dec-19
^^^ Expert

31-Dec-19
Better success? That's only one part to my thread. I passed up dozens of bucks this year and ended up shooting a probable 7 year old buck that walked downwind while I hunted in a flannel shirt with no camo or scent control whatsoever. Arguing with you Scoot reminds me of the pothead patients I try to educate when they come to my ER with cyclic vomiting. Here is one gimmick disproven by Field and Stream https://www.fieldandstream.com/does-scent-control-work/

31-Dec-19
My question about NJ is does it freeze? LOL. That is my typical problem with sprays. I leave them in the truck and when I go to use them in November, they are frozen. But in all seriousness, I might have to give it a try. Dead Down Wind proved ineffective for me this past season.

31-Dec-19
12 yards, I've had no trouble with it freezing leaving it in my truck.

Congrats on your buck Thornton. Looks like you had a good time and a good experience. Give NJ a try, maybe next year you can kill one of those big boys that hopefully made it through the rifle season. You might be surprised.

31-Dec-19
I’ve heard that Nosejammer is good on Doritos, Thornton. Works way better than Pepto-Bismol, too! Maybe it will help you get through to your Bob Marley type patients.

Keep digging, buddy. You’re almost there!

31-Dec-19
Do you guys rattle and grunt with nose jammer or is it best to just go silent.

31-Dec-19
Bou.......For you, just going silent would be your best bet.

31-Dec-19
Never used but had a client that used it and it drove me crazy. On our fifth and last day I called a bull into 30 yards but she missed. So it could have worked for her

31-Dec-19
What'd she look like?

31-Dec-19
Asking for Brotsky.

31-Dec-19
Several current Bowsiters would do well to go silent.

As for me, when hunting deer I rattle, grunt, bleat, and spritz it on my decoys.

31-Dec-19
12 yard....My can did freeze this year when I left it outside in my bag. It still sprayed, sort of, but well enuf!

31-Dec-19
I'm sorry you're offended Coot. Take a deep breath, inhale some nose hammer, and I think you'll be all right. Brotsky- I've only seen 3 of your bucks, two of which I would not have shot. Do you have anymore ?

31-Dec-19
uffdah!!

31-Dec-19
I'm sorry you're offended Coot. Take a deep breath, inhale some nose hammer, and I think you'll be all right. Brotsky- I've only seen 3 of your bucks, two of which I would not have shot. Do you have anymore ?

31-Dec-19
Crazy how this has deteriorated. Never have understood why grown men attach such emotion when discussing perspective on hunting tools.

Lay out your perspective, discuss the facts, ask questions and disagree, agree, be neutral.... When we attack personally it generally reflects we are insecure about our position. Or just a vagina. I was feeling insecure. I feel better now.

31-Dec-19
This thread is fun :-) Have a happy new year Thornton!

31-Dec-19
Some folks just got to try to knock others down to build themselves up. Not a good look!

31-Dec-19
Great post, Candor. When I was a Park Ranger we figured 90% of people were good, decent folks. Maybe 5% should be in prison. The other 5% were just plain arrogant jerks.

31-Dec-19
I must be the guy with my head stuck in the sand. I hadn't even heard of "nose jammer" till this thread. But I am 100% going to get some for next years mule deer hunt. We hunt the same way and type of terrain that Jaq does. If it helps only 50% of the time when the wind bites you, I figure that doubles my odds of making it happen.

31-Dec-19
I have used it for a few years and I'd say there is something to it. the guy who clued me into using it has several success stories using it. the story that impressed me the most was he had a coyote come into his stand and for the last 15 yards was downwind, that's a tough nose to fool

01-Jan-20
Lou this is your fault. And Kurt. Taking my daughter and sons girlfriend late season whitetail hunting. I’m not usually up for this kind of stuff but going to give it a try. I have respect for alot of guys on this site some should quiet down.

01-Jan-20
Sorry you're still upset Coot. It was an opinion based thread with a direct question for public land bucks and I posted a public land 165" with no scent cover. It's hard to have a control group with so many variables and circumstances where bucks probably would have ignored the hunter whether he had nose jammer or not. Happy new year and good luck on the continued harvest of 3 year old bucks

01-Jan-20
Thornton, what is wrong with a 3 year old buck? I would rather eat a nice young doe or spike. Those hundred whatever horns aren’t edible and until one can prove them to be beneficial as an aphrodisiac or penis enlarger, I will never understand the attraction, other than pride I guess. Then again, I hunt for bucks, but because that is the law. I would gladly trade a buck tag for a doe tag or two fawn tags. They taste really good.

01-Jan-20
Coot, first you talk trash, then you cry about me stating your kid's deer was young, then you try to incorporate your buddies, now you're playing victim. That PM was in response to you telling me I don't know what I'm talking about. In simpler terms for you, it's like listing your resume' on social media and was my attempt to talk to you like a grown up. Judging by your continual efforts to enroll everyone shows me how weak your argument is.

01-Jan-20

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
Here's the first PM

02-Jan-20
Not to get this back on track or anything but....if you have never used Nose Jammer how do feel qualified to add anything to this thread? Go read the OP’s first post. If you have never tried it it’s pretty hard to answer his question or add anything of value to the conversation. We’ve all shot a deer downwind or had unexplainable stuff happen. Nose Jammer works...sometimes. I have NEVER had it scare a deer that would not have been scared anyway from my human scent. Many others in this thread have had the same results. You can try it for yourself or not, your decision. However, if you’ve never tried it and call it a gimmick or nonsense then you are just another uneducated hunter commenting on something you have no experience with. Sure you can kill deer without it. You can kill deer in your crocs and shorts too. Can you kill more with this product? Maybe, maybe not. From what I and many others here have seen and experienced it is worth the $8 per can to have it in my toolbox.

02-Jan-20
Maybe some of you guys that use this can fill me in on residual scent left by it. Long ago I learned that I could burn out a stand by hunting it too much. Leaving scent behind is a huge deal to me and I go to great efforts to not contaminate a spot I hunt. This includes not using scents of any type. Have any of you noticed a general downturn in deer sightings in a spot due to nose jammer residual scent?

02-Jan-20
Catscratch, it's not a scent they associate with danger. It is a scent that occurs naturally in the deer's environment everyday, just in a more concentrated dose. I would assume that after a day or two that scent has diminished to a more normal level that deer would not associate with anything unusual. To more directly answer your question I have ran trail cameras in the past near areas where I have used NJ and have seen no change in deer movement after its use based upon picture frequency, etc (including pics of deer of all ages/sex).

02-Jan-20
Anyone ever use Nose Jammer while hog hunting? Hogs have big noses...

02-Jan-20
Doesn't PM stand for PRIVATE message?

02-Jan-20
Next year I plan to find a "tester" trail, set a cam on it, then see the deer reaction if any.

In my very limited few trips using it, I have not had an issue with deer abandoning an area where I sprayed my stand trees with it.

02-Jan-20
Thornton and I PMed each other but it was cordial. Different areas, different hunting methods. The deer densities are in stark difference to each other. You can spend an entire season hunting up here and never see a buck or any deer up here. You have to walk and find one up in these big woods. As I told him, out of several hundred thousand acres around our village, only 73 deer were taken, 3 with bow. Two with compounds, and my doe with a longbow. I talked with a rifle hunter, and he hunted hard for a week. Never saw a deer. Tough year, and we had good tracking snow all season. When you are chasing a long legged buck you sweat, and I doubt any product will cover your scent. I don’t creep until he begins to look to bed down. Other than that, I move fast as he may be a mile ahead early on.

02-Jan-20
Was really hoping to hear more input from the experts who have never used it. smh….

02-Jan-20
Thank you for the input Brosky. Hard for me to trust how deer act around trailcams though. I've quit using them where I hunt due to the disturbance of it being there, and of checking them. Mature buck sightings have gone way up, but I don't get the thrill of big buck pics.

I may have to get a can for experiments. I'm distrustful of stuff like this and seldom buy anything new (I'll miss out on something that actually works due to this someday) but nothing I've ever tried in the past has done what it said it would. Burned too many times.

02-Jan-20
I’ve been hammering a small area the last two seasons trying to kill a certain buck. I’ve hunted this 20-30 acre hunk of a much bigger farm probably 70 times in the last two years. Hunting the same half dozen stands over and over. Which is outside what I would normally do. And this is a hard area to access. It’s fairly high impact.

I’ve been using NJ a LOT. on my clothes to mask my walk in. On the tree when I’m in. Etc.

I haven’t noticed a sighting drop off. I have observed several mature bucks in the area. I have trail cam pics of others. Daylight and dark. They are there. And they are walking in daylight. I just haven’t picked the right tree on the right day yet.

From my personal experience I do believe NJ works more often than not. And I believe it helps with residual scent

I am not a scientist. I haven’t conducted any experiments. It’s not expensive. I believe it helps. It certainly doesn’t hurt. So I will continue to spend MY money on it

Bake

02-Jan-20
I should add a disclaimer. I don’t think anybody advocating it’s use on this thread is saying that you can ignore the wind. At least I’m not. But often, animals still get downwind (at least where I hunt) and those are the times it’s worth it’s money. I don’t purposely hunt a bad or marginal wind. I try to stay out of wind trap areas where the wind swirls, which is why I’m hunting such a small area as referenced above.

I feel like it definitely helps, And not only on rut crazed bucks. But On wary old does. Late season does. Etc

02-Jan-20
Catscratch, I do not believe NJ works every time, maybe not even half or a third of the time. I do know that it doesn't hurt and it only needs to work once or twice in the right situation to make it worthwhile for me to buy a can. I have seen stuff while using it that I can't explain more times than not relating to deer reacting to scent, enough to make me believe there is something to it. It's definitely not some kind of voodoo or magic bullet forget the wind kind of thing. Just another tool to use to your advantage that might help out in a given situation. If it's worth the money to you to have that perceived or otherwise slight advantage in your bag then by all means give it a go.

02-Jan-20
Brotsky said it much better than me.

02-Jan-20
I'm trying it for the first time this weekend on a stand where the deer don't just don't always play fair. Plus there are only 13 days of the season left.

02-Jan-20
Like Josey Wales, I am lookin for an edge. Might have to give this stuff a try. I am skeptic of most things, but open to giving it a try. Right now, like all others I try to keep the wind in my favor but there are times the deer don't read the script. I am also one that takes a bee smoker out and smoke myself and clothes down before heading in. I measure the responses in 3 ways:

1. Positive - I can tell they smell me and after consideration they come on in. 2. Negative - I get the typical blowing, tail up, getting the hell outta here response. 3. Neutral - I smell you. I am not sure what is up so I am just going to slowly back away.

Not sure on the percentages of each, but will give the NJ a try next year and keep track.

• Sitka Gear