Zbone 18-Dec-19
Zbone 18-Dec-19
Zbone 18-Dec-19
Zbone 18-Dec-19
TrapperKayak 19-Dec-19
17-Dec-19

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Thought some might get a kick out of this - I was in downtown Kent Ohio today and stopped by the Kent Canadian Club were the Hole in the Horn buck rack hung in the bar for 40 years... They even had it's image etched in the front window...8^)

17-Dec-19
That’s nice.

17-Dec-19
That’s nice.

17-Dec-19
A good friend of mine has a reproduction of this deer. When I hunted with him in 2010 I held the mount was very cool to hold a piece of history like that.

17-Dec-19
I remember that. Was Dick Idol the one who purchased if from there?

17-Dec-19
Where is it now?

17-Dec-19
Yeah, I think it was Dick Idol that bought it, but if I remember right there was a "thing" about with who's money he bought it with, and I think the magazine now has it, but don't quote me on that...

If I remember right I think he got it for around 10 grand, maybe somebody in the know could tell us...

BTW, wonder what ever happened to Dick Idol?

17-Dec-19
Interesting history of the buck and the area. I attended Kent State U, in 1964-66 after the Air Force, and then transferred to the UP of Michigan, to Northern Mich U. to finish my degrees. The Revenna Arsenal was famous for big deer and I use to walk those tracks hoping one might have jumped the fence but did see a few big bucks inside the fence. I do believe they allowed some cull hunting each year, and one had to qualify with gun or bow to be in the running for a tag. I tried to qualify but was shooting a recurve bow and most used compound bows and had better scores. Interesting the buck was found in 1940 the same year I was born.

18-Dec-19

Bucks-n-Bows's Link
https://community.legendarywhitetails.com/legends/hole-in-the-horn-buck/

18-Dec-19
Complete and amazing account.

18-Dec-19
Paul, heard through the grape vine that they are looking at closing Ravenna. Nobody knows what they plan to do with it. YET.

18-Dec-19
Closing the Ravenna Arsenal has been rumored for years, but was by there the other day and still looked to have activity... Back in the day, went to a bowshoot inside there, but never hunted there (nor any other high fence...8^)), but anyhow knew a couple guys that got drawn there... They said they were put a small grid of a few acres and made to set put while drivers pushed deer by them... I think it was a one or two day deal...

I also remember a magazine had a sequence of pictures of two monster bucks locked together inside there, and it was many years ago too with old time vehicles with the pix... One thing for sure there is good genetics there, or at least there used to be...

18-Dec-19
I've been to that bar several times back in my college Years. I never knew it hung there!

18-Dec-19
Wow, all the Kent State alumni... Both my daughters graduated from there also...

When I stopped by the other day, a guy was salting the icy sidewalk and I kinda followed him in to the door button... Told him I was a whitetail enthusiast and ask him if a replica replaced it, he said no and wouldn't allow me in, so I asked where it actually hung, he allowed me to poke my head in and see the wall by the door where it hung... They weren't very friendly and said I had to be a member or with a member to come in.... Well, I guess ya wouldn't be very friendly either if somebody ripped off your deer head...8^) (that was a joke...8^))

18-Dec-19

Zbone's Link
BTW, thanks for the links JTV.... I thought the chain link fence was the reason for the hole, now this link disputes that:

https://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/editorial/hole-in-the-horn-buck-truth-revealed/262398

Wow, there is still a lot of mystery around this buck... Would be nice to know the real truth...

18-Dec-19

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Here's a buck taken out of the Ravenna Arsenal in 2007, don't know any details, only that it was killed that year and I saved the picture... I imagine it was killed during gun season by the orange hat...

18-Dec-19
TrapperKayak - As to your question as to where is it now, don't know how truthful it is but got this off Wikipedia:

"The Hole in the Horn buck is one of the most famous bucks in the world due to its enormous size, mysterious hole in the right antler, and controversial score. The Hole in the Horn buck was part of the original Legendary Whitetails collection owned by Larry Huffman. Replica mounts of the Hole in the Horn buck exist in many outdoor retail stores, including Cabela’s and Bass Pro Shops and also one hangs in the front office at Legendary Whitetails corporate headquarters. The original set of antlers was purchased with Larry’s entire collection of Legendary Whitetails by Bass Pro Shops in 2002. The mount now hangs in the King of Bucks collection in the American National Fish and Wildlife Museum in Springfield, Missouri."

19-Dec-19
Thanks, Zbone!

• Sitka Gear