yohon 18-Dec-19
ben h 18-Dec-19
pirogue 18-Dec-19
Candor 18-Dec-19
RT 18-Dec-19
carcus 19-Dec-19
mgmicky 19-Dec-19
18-Dec-19
I am looking at getting a rock climbing harness. Narrowed it down to the Alpine BOD one (link below). If you use one of these, can you comment on whether the loops on the belt (sides and rear) get in the way at all? I doubt it would in cold weather clothes but when dressed minimally how obtrusive are they? I have not seen one of these in person, just on the WWW.

Thank you!

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/climbing-harnesses/alpine-bod-harness-BD650026_cfg.html

18-Dec-19
That's the one I have and I didn't like the loops for the reason you stated. I cut 3 of the 4 off. Left one on my left side buttock, for attaching my pull up reel in early season when I don't carry a pack

18-Dec-19
Other than the loops, how did you like the harness, Bake?

18-Dec-19
Been using it for about seven years and the loops have never been in my way. I use two of them to hold my sticks, and another one to tie my pullup rope to as I go up a tree. I can't even imagine how they could get in the way of anything.

18-Dec-19
I cut them off. The harness is great. Super lightweight and easy to put on without having to step through.

I sewed loops of tubular webbing on the waist belt for a lineman's belt. Works awesome!

18-Dec-19
I like the harness. Quite a bit. I haven't swung from the thing, thankfully, but I do like it. It's easy on and off. Comfortable. Easy to maneuver around in in the tree. Etc.

For the guys that are attached every second, it may not be perfect, as I don't see how it would work with the harness ports in Sitka gear, for instance.

I am not a safety Nazi. I will take the belt off in the tree to add or subtract layers. Or I will add layers once in the tree, then put the belt on, or something like that. (for the safety guys, I don't hunt very high anymore, 15-18 feet, and I hang solely in multi-trunked trees for safety and concealment)

I am fortunate to hunt a fair amount, and it fits my idea of taking as little as possible and having light, easy to use gear

18-Dec-19
Never had a problem.

18-Dec-19
The loops don’t bother me. Like the harness

18-Dec-19
I’ve had one for years. I did have a sail maker add a belt with loops for connecting a linesman belt. Loops not in the way.

18-Dec-19
Never had an issue but I did cut mine off. Only issue I have ever had with this is getting it adjusted to be able to use the pockets on my pants.

18-Dec-19
Never cut mine off either and like some of the others use it hang sticks off of as I climb, pull up rope etc and find having them a huge plus....never once getting in the way and been using it for 5 or 6 years and wear it every day of the season and hardly know its there.

18-Dec-19
The BOD is the harness I've used for over 20 years. Do yourself a favor and buy a big wall ascender too. They're perfect for the safety rope.

18-Dec-19
I’ve been using a BD rock climbing harness for years also. It is not that model, though, as it does not have that big buckle. I think I cut loops off mine, since it does not jeopardize the belt’s suspension integrity.

18-Dec-19
Thanks gents.

What is the rest of your set-up between the BOD and the tree?

18-Dec-19
I use the same lineman's rope that I set the stand in - connected to the safety rope. I also always check the whole system out by putting all my weight on it before I climb. No reason to have to be disconnected from the tree at any time.

19-Dec-19
The one I have the loops are material so not a problem, rock climbing harnesses are soooo much better than the hunting harnesses

19-Dec-19
I’ve been using one for 3 years and really like it also. I cut the loops off mainly for safety-I didn’t want to accidentally clip into one in the dark. I clip my safety rope into my lifeline and when I get into the stand adjust the prussic knot to take the slack out of the line and position it on my right side. I’m right handed and the rope has never interfered with a shot but it did take some getting used to coming from a chest harness.

• Sitka Gear