wyobullshooter 20-Dec-19
sasquatch 20-Dec-19
sasquatch 20-Dec-19
WapitiBob 20-Dec-19
SBH 20-Dec-19
WapitiBob 21-Dec-19
Lost Arra 21-Dec-19
20-Dec-19
Can someone explain in idiot terms how the special draw works? If I pay the extra for the special draw, do I still get in the preference point draw as well, or just in the special?

20-Dec-19
The special draw has both a preference point pool and random draw pool.

20-Dec-19
thanks, just making sure.

20-Dec-19
Both regular and special have random and preference point draws that function the same.

Think of it like buying a VIP pass - the special has it's own pool with a higher price tag. Just like a VIP pass, you'll usually have a better experience (odds). But on some occasions more people actually put in for special so they're literally paying more just to have worse odds, although this is rare.

20-Dec-19
They still draw based on PP but it costs more.

20-Dec-19
Sooooo........whats the point of it? I'm still not following. Are you paying for better odds or not?

20-Dec-19
^^^^That.

The special draw and the regular draw work exactly the same. It just costs roughly double to play in the special. Do your research before you commit to either...although the special draw typically increases your odds of drawing, that’s not necessarily true in all cases.

Edit: Evidently I’m getting extremely slow in my posting. lol! My “^^^^That” was in response to Trial’s post.

20-Dec-19
Take alloyed tags. They split 60/40 regular and special.

Let’s say 100 tags

60 to to regular pp draw 40 go to special pp draw.

Then they split again. 25% of each pool are set aside for just a random draw no pp matter.

So whoever don’t draw in the other 75% pp draws go into the random where everyone is equal

20-Dec-19
This drawing may help

20-Dec-19
Non Resident landowners draw first, which can put a dent in tags as they can draw every available nr license if there are enough of them.

20-Dec-19
I did not know that wapitibob. I assume there’s a min amount of land you have to own to meet that requirement?

21-Dec-19
I believe so.

21-Dec-19
I think it's not just land ownership but habitat and herd numbers. G&F does some kind of evaluation to determine LO tags. Buying a patch of sage brush probably won't get you that dream elk tag. A rancher I know gets some LO tags but not as many as I would expect for the size of his ranch and number of elk enjoying his hay meadows. G&F is also very specific about who can use those tags. I believe it's only the landowner or children.

• Sitka Gear