jingalls 21-Dec-19
Dutch Oven 21-Dec-19
Shuteye 21-Dec-19
kentuckbowhnter 21-Dec-19
Treefarm 21-Dec-19
Busta'Ribs 22-Dec-19
Charlie Rehor 22-Dec-19
21-Dec-19
Purchased the 5' Hooyman and took it back. Video on-line showed the person hardly using any force to take the saw part off the bar and to slide it on the end.

Maybe I just bought a poorly made one but I had to wrestle with it.

Your suggestions on ones you like would be appreciated. Since I still hang a stand frequently in new areas I need to trim once I am up. In the past I have used my safety tether to allow me to stretch leaning off the stand. I realize how stupid this has been and would like a tool to improve safety.

Thanks in advance.

21-Dec-19
Fiskars. Lifetime saw

21-Dec-19
Looked on-line at this brand. I could not find a picture of one that collapses to fit in a hunting back pack. Thanks.

21-Dec-19
Stihl extension saw not that heavy works great.

21-Dec-19
Hooyman is definitely junk, IMO. Another vote for the Stihl extension saw. By far, the best extendible saw I’ve ever owned. (I’ve owned a bunch). It’s definitely not very packable, is its only downside.

21-Dec-19
My go to is the 6 foot extension Wicked Tree Gear makes. Fits easily in my pack.

21-Dec-19
I agree Stihl it extends further than any others I have owned it is a bit heavy but you wont bend or break it. I have destroyed about every make of fiberglass pole saw, wont happen with the stihl.

21-Dec-19
Charlie,

Their web site shows a 10' and 14'. The 6' is what I need. I need to trim enough so once in stand I can extend my arms and not hit anything. Could not find this.

Thanks guys, I was at a farm store just now and the Stihl is not packable. Appreciate the help though!

21-Dec-19
Found it! $130, is it worth it Charlie? If so, I will order it. Thanks!

21-Dec-19
The Hooyman is great for its intended purpose. Lightweight one handed operation has its trade offs in sturdiness. I use a Fiskars heavy duty at times but always carry th Hooyman

21-Dec-19
Find the brand name you like that is battery powered, with a 9” chain saw blade, and you can thank me later. Makes trimming branches about as easy as it can be. I bought mine at Harbor Freight and it’s their brand.

21-Dec-19
I have a 20 volt worx extendable chainsaw. It extends 12 feet and is not too heavy and can be broken down for transport. I have been pleased with it so far. Also can be doubled as a small saw for around the yard without the pole, instead of breaking out the larger stihl. I had a hooyman that fell apart after a couple of years, not impressed at all.

21-Dec-19

DiRTY MiKE 's embedded Photo
DiRTY MiKE 's embedded Photo
I just bought this one this season. Lifetime warranty.

21-Dec-19
Another vote for Stihl. I’ve owned every fiberglass pole made. Compared to Stihl they r all junk. Razor sharp and by far the longest reach!

21-Dec-19
WOLF-Garten® Interlocken® Pole Pruning System. The best, but probably more money than many want to invest.

21-Dec-19
I used Fiskar for many years and liked them. Then I got EZKut and they are absolutely the best on the market and have a life time guarantee. They are expensive but well worth the money. I have one of their kits that has several tools in it. I especially like their loppers and clippers. They are ratcheted and you put the blade around a limb and just keep clicking until the limb falls off. You can cut huge limbs with them.

21-Dec-19
i have a good limb cutter head i got at rural king years ago with a saw and limb cutter and i put it on a 25 foot extendable (collapses to about a 3rd of length) pool cleaning pole and extended the pull rope and pulley down the pole. has lasted for couple decades and can reach 30 feet up as I am 5'10". works great.

21-Dec-19
I think there was a recent thread I commented on but will comment again. Silky is the only saw I use on my properties. There is a reason they are popular. Remember, you get what you pay for. I run the Hyate.

22-Dec-19

Busta'Ribs's Link
Another vote for the Silky. My buddy, an Arborist, told me this brand is the only one to consider, so I bought the Hayauchi Extendable Pole Saw ten years ago and I’m still on my original blade. Fully extended, I can just lay the blade on a limb and that thing eats right through it with no effort every time. I also have two of the Silky folding pocket saws. Like a lot of quality gear, they’re more expensive up front, but they’re the last saw I’ll buy and they end up not only saving me money in the long run, but are just a joy to use, knowing I’ve purchased the best tool for the job.

22-Dec-19

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
19” closed 6’ extended
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
19” closed 6’ extended
Quality. Blade is terrific. 19” closed and extends to 6’. They may not make it any more. Owned mine for 6+ years.

22-Dec-19
Thanks everyone. I ordered the one Charlie is showing. WM on-line had two left, I don't think they make the 6' model any longer. 19" collapsed size I can get in my pack. $104 with free shipping. I will wait to see if I get it.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. Quality, size and price pushed my decision.

• Sitka Gear