Bou'bound 31-Dec-19
Owl 31-Dec-19
BIG BEAR 31-Dec-19
Hancock West 01-Jan-20
ahunter76 01-Jan-20
Jake 01-Jan-20
Shug 01-Jan-20
23-Dec-19
Has anyone been to superior game ranch for their Russian boar hunt? How was your experience there?

23-Dec-19
I have a friend that hunted there a bunch a few years back , and they shot great boars, I will check with him for some reason Im thinking something changed there>

23-Dec-19
Thank you. I'd appreciate anything you can find out from him.

23-Dec-19
I`ve killed some boars at "Bear Mountain" which is in the same vicinity. The area is not as large as Superior but they have some really nice Russians.

23-Dec-19
Thanks Franklin. Did it feel like a "canned hunt"? I am thinking of going with the bow. I know they are still in a fence but I dont want to spend money on something that will wat out of my hand.

23-Dec-19
Their tag line On the website is “the finest hunts grow here”

That should be an indication of what it is.

23-Dec-19

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Bou'bound's embedded Photo

23-Dec-19
I did see that. I know it's a fenced hunt. Maybe I'm a little bit of a hypocrite when it comes to it. I'd never do a fenced deer hunt but dont feel an issue with a hog of any type. IF and only if it's not hog I can just walk up to. I still want a challenge but I really cant swing it to go to Europe to hunt the real thing.

23-Dec-19
Hoyt.

Go. Have fun and don't look back

Those pure Russians are awesome!! Good luck wherever you end up going

23-Dec-19
I agree. Hogs and deer are very different. Go where they are and have fun. I have done a couple in Tennessee and it was a grid experience. Just don’t ask me to shoot a penned Texas dall sheep

23-Dec-19
High fence hog operations in Michigan have resulted in invasive hogs getting out of the pens. The DNR has asked hunters to shoot them on sight before they get out of control.

23-Dec-19
BB. If hogs have gotten out. There is no way to ever get rid of them

Those Russians are a handful inside or outside any fence. Bad attitude for sure

23-Dec-19
RK that's what I was hoping to hear. I dont want something that wants to be my friend in there. I think I'll try it. Worst case? It's not that exciting and I dont go back.

23-Dec-19
Exactly !! Go while it's winter. Coats are awesome and hopefully they will have enough age on them to have some good cutters. I never saw a European hog that wanted to be your friend :)

Report back if you get it put together and posts some pics!!

23-Dec-19
You may want to confirm that you will be hunting true Russian or European boars. It is my understanding that Michigan outlawed feral or wild hogs of any kind. I've seen several hunting ranches that used to have Russians that are now selling hunts for domestic pigs. That law may have been overturned as it's been a couple years since I've heard anything about it.

-Cheryl

23-Dec-19
Thanks for the heads up. Something may have changed because I've talked to two places in the u.p. that say Russian boar.

24-Dec-19
Yes they do feel like a "canned hunt"....but like others have said it`s a pig hunt. We go in Jan. or Feb. when there is nothing to do. The area we hunted was extremely dense and it was difficult to get a good shot off, mostly through small holes in the brush.

The tricky part is getting on the best pig you can....if you are picky it can be enjoyable. The best hams I ever had came out of those boars....I had the local butcher do them up and I was pleasantly surprised.

Take the hunt for what it is and go have some fun....plus the mounts look awesome.

27-Dec-19
You can hunt crosses in Texas, they are there, without resorting to a high fence and a 250 lb boar is very possible. Oklahoma also has some great big boar hunting but not as liberal regs on them. Contact the Stuart Ranch in OK for a big boar. Pretty easy to see the difference in the feral hogs vs the russian bloodlines. I don'tr know of any hogs that are not mean and nasty, they all have a bad attitude and the ones continuously hunted are vary wary.

28-Dec-19
Hysteria about feral hogs getting loose Michael..?? They already have in the lower peninsula and have become an invasive species. The Superior Ranch might have a good fence,,, But not all of the canned hunt operations do apparently....

28-Dec-19
Hunting?????

28-Dec-19
Why are pigs different than deer? Why not hunt both in a pen?

28-Dec-19
If it requires a hunting license and is regulated by the DNR,,, Then it’s hunting and should be supported by hunting organizations.......

If no hunting license is required , And no hunting laws need to be followed in the pen....... Then it’s not hunting.

28-Dec-19
I have a friend that hunted there a bunch a few years back , and they shot great boars.

28-Dec-19
Why are pigs different than deer? Why not hunt both in a pen?

People that have to step on everyone else ALL the time to get attention I have come to learn are not all that much.

28-Dec-19
I agree Big Bear. That's why I have never been in favor of native Americans being able to hunt on tribal lands. No license and no rules

28-Dec-19
I would also like to point out that the first confirmed case of CWD in a deer in Michigan was in an enclosure.

29-Dec-19
I would recommend avoiding Superior Game Ranch. My experiece from spring 2018.

We booked with them to shoot two Watusi in May. We spoke in person in late February and confirmed by phone in March. In spite of multiple promises to hold them until early May, I found out a week before that they had shot them off. They lied about holding them and made no phone call to cancel. Thankfully I found out before traveling from Alaska.

Apparently, unless the animal is actually standing in front of you, you can't count on it being real. Conversely, if something is standing in front of you, its fair game no matter what they promised to whomever. Shameful way to do business. Be wary.

29-Dec-19
You can make reservations for specific animals over the phone ??

29-Dec-19

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
For those of you that were like me and said...WTF is a Watusi... Here ya go.

29-Dec-19
I had to look it up too Shug..... I had no idea that we have them in Michigan........ it’s a breed of domestic cattle........

29-Dec-19
Yea. Very old breed of cattle. African origin. Don't get killing them on a game ranch but whatever.

29-Dec-19

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Huntcell 's embedded Photo

Huntcell 's Link
I don’t get traveling all the way from Alaska to kill one behind a fence, when they have free range cattle on Adak island to hunt. And those are some mean critters on Adak.

29-Dec-19
Hunt. They probably wanted to shoot othe stuff besides the watusi Critters that Alaska does not have. Or they wanted a Watusi instead of a Hereford

29-Dec-19
Pens are for thrill killing, not hunting. I am ok with it, but call it what it is.

29-Dec-19
Might as well go and “hunt” a farmers angus....... lame.

29-Dec-19
BB don't discount wild cattle hunts. Not high fence hunts but wild cattle. Pretty intense. I don't know of one that does not require a backup gun for archery hunters. We used to do them on the Rio Grande on Texas border All spot and stalk. Never had an archer get one without the backup rifle. Great stuff. I think those Alaskan hunts are the same but I've never done that

29-Dec-19
Wild cattle hunts like the ones in Alaska are hunting.......

Calling ahead and reserving a Watusi in a pen in Michigan is not hunting.

29-Dec-19
Once again, pens are for thrill killing and commerce, nothing to do with hunting. I have no issue with it, just do not call it hunting. Kind of like calling a scoped crossbow and bolt hunt, a bow and arrow hunt.

29-Dec-19
I would go with both eyes open knowing full well that it is not hunting and have fun with it. Sort of like going pheasant hunting oops I mean pheasant shooting in South Dakota. Everything is furnished, lodging dogs and handlers. You do the shooting. One need not made their own bow and arrows and come home empty and tell people how to hunt or gather to enjoy one's self. If we all did it the indian way to the letter a lot of us would be dead from starvation. Would be even harder to do it caveman style but a the good news is death from starvation would be far quicker.

29-Dec-19
Its ok if you don't understand why I would do this. Hoytmax asked about Superior Game Ranch. I relayed my experience.

30-Dec-19

Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
This is as close as I have found to a russian in the last few years feel free to PM me

31-Dec-19
the gentlemen asked for comments on peoples experience at superior ranch, not for haters opinions on whether high fence hunting is "real hunting". The bowsite trolls are what keeps new hunters from registering on this site.

31-Dec-19
Isn’t a watusi a dance from like 1940 or something ?

31-Dec-19
There is no existential difference between a hog and a deer.

31-Dec-19
Hancock..... Forget that high fence canned hunts are not hunting........

High fence operations brought CWD in deer to Michigan and invasive hogs that got out of the pens.........

Sorry..... I’m going to voice my opinion on anyone that supports high fence operations in Michigan......

01-Jan-20
No need to be sorry I'm just saying start a separate thread on how bad in general high fence hunting if you want to trash it. Don't hijack a member's thread & send it in a downward spiral when hes asking other members about there experience at this particular ranch. It's just makes less people want to post on here & help this member out.

01-Jan-20
Well said Hancock.

01-Jan-20
No fence, low fence, High fence. I've done them all Guided, drop camp, semi guided. Done em all. DIY public land tent camp in 15 states too (95% of my many adventures). 63 years bowhunting now (I started in 1956). I "know" exactly what each is. A fun time. Hunters have their personal reasons on why or why not they do them. Sadly they ALL have their pros & cons. It's like weapon choice, not my place to condemn yea or nay. I know zero about this place.

01-Jan-20
. It's like weapon choice, not my place to condemn yea or nay

Wow, can this be spoken on this site???

01-Jan-20
Grant ... I originally thought Watusi was the green mustard that comes with Sushi

• Sitka Gear