Jims 28-Dec-19
Rock 28-Dec-19
Jims 28-Dec-19
painless 29-Dec-19
cnelk 29-Dec-19
smarba 31-Dec-19
RT 31-Dec-19
27-Dec-19
'm a Colorado resident with 18 points for Black Bear. I think I would like to cash them in this fall. I'm just now starting to do my research on a unit. I would appreciate any insight on a good unit in Colorado. Thanks

27-Dec-19
Are you serious?

What’s the most points needed to draw the hardest to draw unit 1 or 2?

You may be in line for the prestigious individual species Point Banker award.

I may offer some competition as I contemplate using my 19 Mt sheep points on a ewe tag that can be drawn with next to no points.

27-Dec-19
Huntcell don't do that!! You may draw the Missouri breaks next year! I'm also playing the sheep game in MT hoping to win the lottery one of these years lol!! I don't have near as many as you though.

28-Dec-19
Ya Missouri Breaks ewe tag. Big 200” ram gettin it on with my ewe. Is he going be in for a suprise.

28-Dec-19
Doesn’t the bosque del oso require right around 18?

28-Dec-19
Well, you’ve had 18 years to think about it.

28-Dec-19
Jaeger63, you are not the only one with max Bear points. I have not been searching for a place to use them but if I ever want a tag I should be able to draw it. Do not really need another Bear but they are good eating.

28-Dec-19
Huntcell I have come very very close to doing that but after drawing NV desert I got a sheep so I am staying in the game. Long term you have a chance......

28-Dec-19
I think I have most of you beat with 22 Colo bear pts. I also have 23 bison pts in Utah! I haven't made time to bear hunt in Colo....to many other great hunts and trips that I would rather do in the fall. One of these years!

In regard to Colo bear, yes the Bosque is the toughest bear unit in Colo to draw. There are a couple RFW that come in 2nd. I actually turkey hunted the Bosque a couple springs ago to check things out for bear. I spoke to the biologist while on that hunt and he mentioned it can literally be feast or famine depending upon the oakbrush acorn crop. There are oilfield roads that litter the Bosque....many of which are shut off by gates to public access. There is no mtn bike access and it's pretty much horse or leg access. That can be both good and bad. The oilfield guys drive in and out just about daily and there are noisy oilrigs running just up just about every draw. Not exactly a prestine setting? Is it worth burning 18 to 23 pts?

28-Dec-19
Jim, Are you sure you have 22 points? As far as I know I have the Max points and I have 19.

28-Dec-19
I just checked again and yes I have 22 black bear pts in Colo. I started applying with 0 pref pts in May 1998. According to the CPW stats there are actually quite a few hunters that had 17+ bear pts last year. A chunk of them just applied for pref pts.

29-Dec-19
They are dumping trash bears out in the Bosque. Last time I was in there the dang things were stalking me. Ate up ever thing I had, packs, tent, water flasks, etc. Just go in and hang out your smelly socks on a tree limb, if it smells human, they'll come a running.

29-Dec-19
Best bear bait? A trail cam.

Just set one out and they will be sure to mess with it!

31-Dec-19
Funny cnelk...that's been my experience too!

31-Dec-19
I've killed two of them on the Bosque. One with a rifle in '17 and one with my bow this year. To say it's an easy hunt could be a big mistake. I have not seen a big boar yet there but sure they are there. It's tough to see much in the thick oakbrush.

Another unit has my attention after seeing a huge boar, which climbed into the back of my truck after I headed out elk hunting. He poked lots of holes in my nice new cooler.

• Sitka Gear