elmer@laptop 28-Dec-19
Nick Muche 28-Dec-19
huntinelk 28-Dec-19
Hopeless 29-Dec-19
Nick Muche 29-Dec-19
leo17 29-Dec-19
JTreeman 29-Dec-19
28-Dec-19
Hey Guys. I’m heading up for Brown bear this spring. What do I need to be legal. Is my NY bow hunter education card good enough or do I need to do a separate one for Alaska. Thanks

28-Dec-19
Alaska does honor basic Hunter ed cards from other states, but on page 13 of the hunting regulation booklet it says to call adf&g to be certain. I took my basic hunter ed course in Vermont when I was 11 or 12 and moved to Alaska in 1988. Alaska honored my card.

28-Dec-19
As long as it’s IBEP approved. Doesn’t matter if born before Jan 1, 1986 though.

You only need the IBEP card for archery only hunts.

28-Dec-19

huntinelk's embedded Photo
huntinelk's embedded Photo
Here is what I was told back 2016.

29-Dec-19

29-Dec-19

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Your hunting in unit 16, you’ll need an IBEP approved Bowhunter Ed card. Top of page 27. I’m sure your outfitter knows as well.

29-Dec-19
Thanks Nick. He just reached out to me. Quick question does it still apply to me since I was born in 85. I have a NY certificate and it is IBEP certified I just confirmed.

29-Dec-19
If it is IBEP certified you have nothing to worry about at all. That’s all you need. Every state I am aware of (including Alaska) reciprocates hunter Ed from other states. And IBEP is THE hunter Ed that is accepted in all states that Require archery hunter Ed. It sounds to me like you have both from the Great State of New York. You should be set to hunt anywhere in the USA with that.

-Jim

• Sitka Gear