steff 30-Dec-19
JSW 31-Dec-19
sticksender 31-Dec-19
sticksender 16-Jan-20
fisherick 16-Jan-20
Brotsky 16-Jan-20
JTreeman 16-Jan-20
29-Dec-19
I haven't traveled much over last few years so I sold the two travel bags I used . Got a few hunts lined up and was wondering what guys are putting gear in to travel ? I am not looking to put my bow in one , use a hard case for that .

29-Dec-19
If you don’t want to put your bow in it then you have a million choices. Pick one you like and go with it! If traveling with hard case on about 1/2 my trips I could fit most/all of my stuff in then hard case with the bow.

I personally use an Osprey rolling duffle for a second bag on some trips, not sure the model, maybe “shuttle 30” or something, but it really doesn’t matter, lots of nice luggage choices if you aren’t trying to fit your bow in one.

—Jim

29-Dec-19
I use a Cabelas model that is long enough to hold an arrow tube and 4 piece fly rod cases, and has zipper pouches on either end outside the main compartment. It's been on many trips all over the world, mishandled and abused by baggage handlers of all stripes, and still performs like a champ. Not sure if its still available since Bass Pro screwed everything up.

29-Dec-19
Slightly off topic but I've started carrying a ratchet strap when I fly for a bow hunting trip. When going through airports or walking any distance, I ratchet strap my hard bow case to my rolling duffle bag.

29-Dec-19
I’ve had excellent use out of my Sitka Nomads, they are about 10#. If you don’t need a roller bag, the Stone Glacier STOL 7000 is 2# of awesomeness.

29-Dec-19
I have large and smaller Filson roller luggage that has worked excellent for me the larger one is one of the originals that were USA made. Th smaller I think is imported. Luggage is one item that I believe paying extra for an Iron clad warranty makes sense.

29-Dec-19

JW's embedded Photo
JW's embedded Photo
Been using the cams 3.0 from 511 Tactical for the last few years. Well made and carry’s all my stuff.

29-Dec-19
William Joseph terrestrial. Same bag as the Badlands Terraglide (or at least used to be). Will hold bows to about 33" ATA depending on cam size.

29-Dec-19
I have had a Cabelas Ripcord XL rolling duffle for a few yrs. It fits a 35” a-a bow with large cams. Easy to haul all your clothes. gear, 2 bows in a soft case, backpack, sleeping bag, etc. Just checked and BP/Cabelas isn’t selling it anymore. The Ripcord name is now on some small non-roller bag. Glad I have mine!

29-Dec-19
Sitka Nomad

29-Dec-19
I also have an older model Cabelas which is great. I just picked up the new Badlands Terraglide and really like the way it looks. They are 50% off now if you are on their mailing list.

29-Dec-19

Buffalo1's Link
Here is a great price on the William Joseph.

I still have and love my Badlands Terraglider. Hold my breathe every time I use it, praying that the luggage gorilla will not destroy it.

29-Dec-19
I have a large rifle case on rollers that has worked fantastic on Alaska trips. I gut the foam and load it with clothes, weapon, flyrods, trekking poles, etc. Just make sure it's under the max weight limit. I also carry-on my Kifaru pack loaded with 60 lbs of gear plus a carry-on loaded with all my optics, camera, camcorder. Southwest or Alaska Air are 2 of the better airlines with the best baggage allowances and prices.

29-Dec-19
I love the nomad but I really wish it wasn't oversize, I have used it on about a dozen round trips so far and haven't got dinged yet for an over change yet, but I know it will happen at some point. I hold off using it if I am not flying with my bow for regular travel because why risk a 100 or 200 over charge fee.

30-Dec-19
The Legend 40 or 44 is ideal for flying your compound bow. It was designed for that exact purpose. Plus, it's relatively inexpensive.

30-Dec-19
I like the rolling duffel concept but the 10# (approx) weight just kills it for me. I have a large green Cabela's Alaskan Guide Rolling Duffel like Jaq described above, and it's basically still new after 6-8 years. Time to move it out.

30-Dec-19
Like Kevin posted you have to be carful with the large rolling duffles since they are so heavy empty. I bought the LL Beans rolling duffle since it was much lighter than the other ones and my take down recurve fits in the bottom compartment along with an arrow tube etc.

30-Dec-19
I got the new Terraglide during Badlands 50% off sale before Christmas. It looks like the same as Buffalo’s post other than some cosmetic differences. It fits my 2 piece longbows and 36” arrow boxes. Should be perfect for airline travel but definitely too big for normal travel

30-Dec-19
I have the same Cabelas roller that Kurt mentioned above. I don't like the fact that it weighs about 18# empty but you can put about any compound bow and arrow tube in the bottom part and it's well protected. It easily holds my takedown recurve, arrow box, Kathy Kelly backpack and sleeping bag and pad. I put all the heavy and expensive stuff in my carry on so I can keep the big rolling duffel under 50#. You then have room for a cape and maybe even some horns when you come home.

30-Dec-19
Jim, my Ripcord XL roller duffel weighs under 10#s. We must have different versions? And Happy New Year to you!!

30-Dec-19
I too use the ripcord. Put bow in soft case in middle of gear. It's rare that it's 45#. Haven't had a problem.

31-Dec-19
You are right Kurt. Mine is the Alaska Guide model and was around $190. I don't think they make it anymore. I like everything about it except for the weight.

31-Dec-19
I need to replace mine, but sure wish I'd known they were making that Badlands Terra Glide duffle again, especially back when it was on sale for 50% off. Looks like 440.00 is the current price on their website. Going with the William Joseph at 275.00 in Buffalo's link. It seems to be nearly identical to the Terra Glide, except for missing the front lift handle.

16-Jan-20
Just as a word of warning to anyone who might read this thread.....the link posted above to WILLIAM JOSEPH OUTLET STORE should not be used. The associated vendor "Faded Fly LLC" will accept orders and payments but it appears that you won't receive anything from them. After ordering the WJ duffle on 12/30, they confirmed the order by email and accepted payment, but then, over the passage of time, never sent a shipping notice. Any phone calls to their listed Customer service line give a continuous busy signal, day or night. Emails to their listed Customer Service contact email are bounced back as un-deliverable. Their Facebook page shows they are permanently closed. Luckily I paid with Paypal and will get a refund via Paypal eventually. The vendor appears to have an automated system to "cancel order" the instant a Paypal resolution case is filed, but they keep the payment. Can't say whether it's fraud, but does seem a tad suspicious. Now I'll just be waiting for the next sale on the Badlands.

16-Jan-20
I have used a 30" Cabelas rolling duffle bag on many flights. Its lightweight, holds my TD recurve, arrow tube, hunting gear, camping gear, and boots etc. and loaded checks in at 49#. I always bring two 3/4" straps to wrap around and secure bag if over loaded.

16-Jan-20
Anyone know how long of a bow a guy can get in a Sitka Nomad? I have a 35" ATA Prime.

Disregard, I really like the looks of the Everest Legend 44 someone mentioned earlier. That will fit my rig nicely!

16-Jan-20
Brotsky- I have both and much prefer the legend. Mine is a 40”, but otherwise the same. It’s a good choice IMO.

—Jim

• Sitka Gear