Mike Ukrainetz 02-Jan-20
Squash 03-Jan-20
Mike Ukrainetz 05-Jan-20
29-Dec-19

Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
Guide Gerard and hunter Rick Franklin with Rick’s Wolves
Guide Gerard and hunter Rick Franklin with Rick’s Wolves
Thought bowsiters might like to see our Wolf hunting success this year at Mike’s Outfitting Ltd. My guide Gerard and assistant guide Alec ran the hunts on their own the first 3 weeks in December. They put up 12 bait sites and got wolves hitting several of them. Rick and his wife Keri from Montana are long time repeat bear hunters of ours and Rick decided to give our 2nd year wolf hunts a try, good decision!

29-Dec-19
Awesome! Those pro-wolfer’s must be crying their eyes out!

29-Dec-19
Not sure what Bowsiters wouldn't enjoy seeing this thread. Well done.

29-Dec-19
Very cool, congratulations. Did not realize their colorations vary so much. Is the black phase more desirable?

29-Dec-19
That black one would look hreat covering my knife table.

Nice shooting.

K

29-Dec-19
Congrats! Couple of beauties!

29-Dec-19
Way cool, Mike. Congrats to the hunter! What caliber of rifle do you guys recommend for shooting wolves? I’d think a .22-250 or .220 Swift would work on them?

29-Dec-19
Thanks guys! The hunts are a huge amount of work and opportunities don’t usually come easily. T-Roy, the most accurate gun is the best like a 22-250. Missed shots are common, we had another hunter miss one at 164 yds

29-Dec-19
The black colour is more rare than the gray and white for sure and an all white is pretty rare too.

29-Dec-19
Beautiful, congratulations. Forrest

30-Dec-19
That's Awesome!!!

Wolves are so beautiful, Congratulations to all involved!

30-Dec-19
Beautiful!

30-Dec-19
Congratulations, that looks like a great hunt. My 22-250 just sits in my gun safe.

30-Dec-19
SWEET!

30-Dec-19
A black wolf like the one pictured would make a sweet pet. No I am NOT against hunting wolves. It's not my cup of tea. Elk and moose hunting? Oh yes!

30-Dec-19
Those two wolves are very receptive to petting. Wouldn't harm a fly. LOL!

30-Dec-19
Redheadtwo, if you want elk and moose to hunt you better hope someone is hunting wolves!

30-Dec-19

Wolf Hugs are the best!
Wolf Hugs are the best!
Gerard is learning that there are definitely wolf bait hot spots, travel corridors and if you don’t have the bait in the right area it is unlikely to get hit or at least to get any kind of consistent daylight activity. It’s not an easy hunt to prepare for your hunters.

30-Dec-19
Way to go. You are spot on with your response to redheadtwo. Well said and thanks for your efforts.

I've been after them in MT and they are by far the hardest hunt I do. Takes of lot of time, gas money and effort just to lay eyes or ears on one. We can't bait them here but I bait bears and understand that doesn't mean they will come strolling in to accept arrows. Cant imagine how difficult it would be to bait those dogs. They are smart. You guys will get it dialed in though. Keep us posted and good luck to you and your hunters this season. Appreciate your efforts.

30-Dec-19
Great looking animals. Congrats to the hunters. Mike what is the average shot distance a hunter can expect?

30-Dec-19
We set the blinds for about a 150 yd shot but it’s usually in a somewhat open area where a much longer shot is possible. They often cruise by at long range or set up and howl nearby but don’t show themselves! Can be very frustrating...

30-Dec-19

GuideGerard 's embedded Photo
GuideGerard 's embedded Photo
Hello longbeard, I'll add to Mike's comments... Baits are 200 yards from the blind. So far, all of our shots have been inside of that range but visibility could be out beyond 500 yards, depending on the bait site...

30-Dec-19
Wow. Ok thanks guys.

31-Dec-19
Do you ever get them into bow range Mike?

31-Dec-19
Congrats on killing those dogs, I will hope that you get a bunch more

31-Dec-19
Nice big dog. Keep up the good shooting.

K

31-Dec-19
Those wolves look huge.

31-Dec-19
Great trophies. Well earned.

31-Dec-19
Awesome wolves!!!! Congrats

31-Dec-19
Awesome please kill more!

02-Jan-20

Box blind setup and what we use to get them in place
Box blind setup and what we use to get them in place
We use this track machine quad and trailer to move the box blinds into position and to get the bait in and out. We can get big dumps of snow and you need the tracks to get around, much easier to use than a snowmobile. The box blinds are the same ones we use on our whitetail rifle hunts, slightly elevated, insulated and have a comfy office chair in them. Chainsaw up front for any wind blown down trees. Good gear is essential!

03-Jan-20
Congratulations beautiful wolves. People here in the eastern states that are always saying they saw a wolf when really it’s a eastern coyote should look at the wolf hug picture. Shows the size of a true wolf.

05-Jan-20

Coyote
Coyote
Wolf!
Wolf!
I agree Squash! We get a few wolves killed by our whitetail rifle hunters that turn into coyotes when we find them dead. Hard to tell with no reference though

• Sitka Gear