Scrappy 02-Jan-20
Trial153 02-Jan-20
Busta'Ribs 02-Jan-20
Shuteye 02-Jan-20
Buffalo1 03-Jan-20
Genesis 03-Jan-20
ND String Puller 03-Jan-20
01-Jan-20
Looking for recommendations for a good hunting headlight. Here are my perimeters: 1. Don’t want rechargeable style 2. Want brightness 3. Would prefer a green beam capability 4. Must be comparable for for wearing with cap with no bill. Must be beanie style comparable.

Awaiting suggestions- thanks

01-Jan-20

Mike in CT's Link
I've used this one for a few years now and love it, especially the pivoting ability so you can shine the light only where needed. Better still is the interchangeable white light that is great for blood trailing.

Hope this helps!

01-Jan-20
My 25 yr old Petzl LED headlight died this yr. was a simple great light. I had purchased a Black Diamond 18 months ago as a replacement....but don’t like it. Switch doesn’t work right. Can’t get it the locked off position easily, and when supposedly locked off, have had it turn on in the pack on several occasions. Turned into a battery eater. 250 lumen, 3 AAA battery style. Avoid it!

Just picked up a cheap EverReady in Sportsman’s Warehouse. 400 lumens, adjustable down to dim very easily. Second switch turns on red or green lights. 3 AAA batteries and would fit the bill for what you are after. I’ve only had it a week but is way better than the 2X as pricey Black Diamond. Much more straight forward and easy to use twin buttons versus the tricky single button switch on the BD.

01-Jan-20
I have been pleased with my Zebra lights. And the Fenix one is pretty nice too. Add those to your shopping list.

—Jim

01-Jan-20

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
My walking to and from the stand headlight is any brand as you describe with White and or Green light. Usually Replaceable aaa batteries. I don’t spend much money on that one but use it most of the time.

When it comes time for serious blood trailing I keep a Nitecore headlamp in my pack with five adjustable Power white beams that have extraordinary brightness on full power. They use rechargeable batteries. A Bear guide in Quebec used one during a hunt I was on and I bought one after that hunt. Good luck. C

01-Jan-20
Been extremely impressed with my Petzl Actic.

01-Jan-20
My kids gave me a Coast FL65 from Walmart for Christmas. There’s no green beam but a red and three settings on white with the top setting being 400 lumens. I’ve only used it for maybe 2-3 hours but I like it so far. It’s not usually needed but the 400 lumen flood will sure light things up.

01-Jan-20
Charlie is dead on with that nite core for blood trailing. The one I have (and I think the one Charlie is using) is the HC 33. It is an awesome little light!

01-Jan-20
I have the Zebra 600 series in both spot and floody. They work very well for there intended purposes.

01-Jan-20
I've used Black Diamond headlamps for years and think highly of them. I use a Spot but the Storm will give you red, blue or green light.

01-Jan-20
I have several mentioned above. My favorite is a hat with a real short brim that I bought years ago that has two small lights built right in the brim. It uses two of the flat batteries like you use in a red dot scope. It is plain white light but it is great for walking to the stand in the morning and blood trailing. I also use it when fishing in the dark and I can easily tie tiny jigs on 4# test line. I can't find a name on it. Batteries last a long time.

01-Jan-20
Petzl Actic

01-Jan-20
Black diamond storm. Used em for years and are superb.

01-Jan-20
Black diamond spot and storm are what i run and Im happy with them.

01-Jan-20
I have a Petzl and Black Diamond. Both are very good. One thing I HIGHLY recommend from past experience: always carry a small backup flashlight in case you have to change batteries in the headlamp when it's darker than the inside of a cow's stomach. Don't ask me how I learned this lesson.

01-Jan-20
jaquamo-

That is the absolute worst... don’t ask me how I know. Lol.

Trying to get 4 batteries orientated in the pitch black. HORRIBLE.

01-Jan-20
I’m with Charlie. I use any number of lights for getting in and out. Princeton Tec, camofire, coastal, etc. ... I’m a flashlight guy so I have a bunch of them. However, when it comes to tracking, I have a niteforce head lamp that is 1000 lumens on its brightest setting. Good light.

01-Jan-20
Fenix. Bullet proof and bright as hell.

02-Jan-20
Nothing like hanging a set and half way up the tree your headlamp gives you the warning to change the batteries.

02-Jan-20
Second the Fenix I have one that will take both CR2 and a AA battery. It's a hell of a nice light

02-Jan-20

Busta'Ribs's Link
In addition to the Nitecore HC 33 that (Charlie and ) I mentioned above for tracking/blood trailing, I have a bunch of these little clip lights that I put on my ball cap brims. Got this tip off a John Dudley vid. They're super cheap (like five bucks each) and come in green/red/white. I like the green for sneaking in/out of my stands when it's too dark to go without a light. I like the red for hog hunting after dark. And I like the white for around camp and in the tent where the Nitecore is just too bright.

02-Jan-20
I carry spare batteries in my back pack and a couple spare, small flashlights.

03-Jan-20
Today was "decision day" for a headlamp. I shop at both the local BPS and Academy Sports. I found Browning "Night Gig" headlamp that offers both white and red beam. The light has 485 lumens. I have tested it in my dark garage and am satisfied with the purchase. I think it will suit my needs for traveling back and forth to stands. It operates with 3 AAA batteries and is guaranteed to illuminate the inside of a cow belly. That was probably the compelling advantage that really swayed my purchasing decision.

Several of you highly recommended the Nitecore brand. I plan to purchase one of these before the next season. As Charlie R stated it is his "go to" light when tracking. It offers 1000 lumens which should be awesome plus it is rechargeable or works off conventional style batteries.

Thanks again to everybody for your input and suggestions.

03-Jan-20
Armytek Tiara C1 Pro.........Li ion rechargeable...... great modes from 1050 Lumens to 3 moonlight modes that are tremendously handy.Magnetic tail cap to boot

It has a bigger brother called the Armytek Wizard Pro with insane brightness and run times....just a little heavy for a ball cap .I own both and they are awesome

03-Jan-20

ND String Puller's embedded Photo
ND String Puller's embedded Photo
Having a pen light is handy too. I keep it on the side of my Bino harness along with wind checker, lighter and “deer talk” deer call, that works good on coyotes too! I use the cheapo energizer headlamps $10. One in my pack and an extra in my kill kit.

• Sitka Gear