Cheesehead Mike 06-Jan-20
Shawn 07-Jan-20
midwest 07-Jan-20
midwest 07-Jan-20
Shawn 08-Jan-20
RT 08-Jan-20
Shawn 10-Jan-20
04-Jan-20
I am looking into tree steps, possibly Lone Wolf, to go with my new LW hang on stand.

Any other top end options to look at? I need quick, quiet set up as it's nothing for me to change trees over a dozen times a season and I am tired of sounding like a horseshoe competition with the screw in steps at 5 am.

Thanks.

04-Jan-20
Bought some hawk helium’s for 99$. Use lone wolf and like the look of the xop

04-Jan-20
Skip the steps go with the leg irons.

Can't think of a style that hasn't shifted, come loose ,fallen off or broken in my 4 decades of bowhunting. Thank God for my discipline on using fall protection. The one stand where I didn't use my climbers this year broke a step. Hung there by fall protection and a single step until I could get a back up step out of my pocket and install it. 4 years ago was just about impaled on another hunt where they prohibited use of climbers and screw ins. Again fall protection saved me but was almost castrated-might have been a Lone Wolf or a Loggy baou strap on step. I tossed all of them so not sure.

04-Jan-20
Damn. Good thing you had the step in your pocket. How many people leave one in their pocket? Probably saved you.

04-Jan-20
I like my Muddys. It is great having a step on either side of the vertical member when you are transitioning laterally on the tree (either to another set of steps or to the stand).

Screw in - Cranford is hands down my preferred.

04-Jan-20
I have lone wolf as well as the muddy pro sticks. Prefer the muddy but they are a little heavy compared to some of the newer options out there. If you really want to research all the available options as well as all the mods people are making to them. Then check out YouTube there is a ton of info on there.

04-Jan-20
Thanks, will certainly do that later.

04-Jan-20

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
4 Wild Edge Stepps and a Knaider/Swaider. Weighs 4.25 lbs., very low bulk, and gets me 20 feet up a tree.

04-Jan-20
With the linemans belt I typically just use one beaner. I use the loop on the other end to feed the rope through, it's just one less thing to clank on a step as I set up.

Thanks for the links.

04-Jan-20
I do see why the rope mod is helpful, I just don't think I would need it.

04-Jan-20
How do you get your lineman's rope around those huge trunks? Good old throw and hope?

04-Jan-20
I have XOP - very similar to Lone Wolf. I chose XOP since they're stackable, but Hawk has some out with the suction cups to do that as well since I've gotten mine.

I've seen some of the Hawk Helium mods and other cut down/smaller sticks and they look awesome. I decided to stick to only 3 sticks (instead of 4 with the smaller sticks). Harder/bulkier to pack but less sticks to set up and overall quicker. I added some aiders to each stick and can get to 18-20 feet with this. I too did the rope mod and it's pretty good. I find I don't get quite as much bite vs the straps but much quieter and easier than trying to prevent a buckle from hitting a stick.

XOP/LW only have a single step per stick, which is a bit awkward. Definitely would prefer the double steps at times. Something to consider.

05-Jan-20
Cranford EZY Steps are the best I've used. They start and thread into the tree easily, and I've never had, nor seen, a failure.

05-Jan-20
Midwest those wild edge steps look exactly like the stepp ladder system a guy in Maine used to make. Rock solid and fast once ya get the hang of them

05-Jan-20
Bob, They are one and the same. Invented by Jim Stepp, now sold and manufactured by Wild Edge.

05-Jan-20
Leg irons rock!!!

BUCKINGHAM MFG. CO. BINGHAMTON, NY www.buckinghammfg.com 1-800-937-2825

06-Jan-20
New XOP or Hawk Helium as well as LW. Forget the rope mod and use a daisy chain, way lighter and quicker as well. Also buy some rv door bumper stops and put them on the sticks. You can stick the sticks together for easy transport just like the new Hawk Helium sticks! Shawn

06-Jan-20
Hawk helium’s here. And the wild edge steps. Both very good for mobility. Lone wolf makes nice sticks too but, the steps are off set. I like having both feet on my step as I’m installing the next stick or step.

06-Jan-20
Thanks for sharing...

06-Jan-20
Yeah please explain or show pics of the door stops and what's a daisy chain?

07-Jan-20
Sorry I can do pics later but for now look up JR products Bumper Door Holder, you drill holes in your sticks and attach with bolts and you can basically stick your sticks together. They work awesome just like hawk does on their sticks. A daisy chain is basically dyneema strap with links seen in every couple inches and you attach to your versa button wrap around tree and slip a link in the chain over the button again and pull down to secure stick to tree. You Tube it way better than messing with rope mod. Shawn

07-Jan-20
Here are different options for stick attachment including daisy chains.

07-Jan-20
These are the bumper door holders Shawn is talking about.

Bowsite won't let me attach.

https://www.ebay.com/p/656708632?iid=113736582548&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=113736582548&targetid=809744167825&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9018132&poi=&campaignid=6470661075&mkgroupid=76459667446&rlsatarget=aud-622524042918:pla-809744167825&abcId=1141156&merchantid=6296724&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9dDwBRC9ARIsABbedBOMBNTHecnTHeIsooBzZZt5oY76eClc-PB0kwsV8q5i8nj7fyAPtJoaAr-HEALw_wcB

08-Jan-20
Thanks Nick!! I am giving a saddle another go and just went to the Daisy chain. So far so good! Shawn

08-Jan-20
Think I will go with the double step style. I really don't feel like playing Tetris at 4 am. Will probably steal the bump stop idea too.

10-Jan-20
JTV, you really should try the Daisy chain, it will work for you too only better. Quicker, easier to wrap up and less weight! Shawn

• Sitka Gear