Twinetickler 13-Jan-20
midwest 13-Jan-20
fubar racin 13-Jan-20
Archer2 14-Jan-20
JohnMC 14-Jan-20
EmbryOklahoma 14-Jan-20
Mark Watkins 14-Jan-20
06-Jan-20
I know for many the "I need to lose weight", starts off well, but becomes a yo-yo effect. It also usually starts about this time every year and a lot of us start "dieting and exercising". I was this person last year... fat and dragging ass.

Now, rewind to almost this same day one year ago... I weighed in at close to 230 lbs. I was carrying way too much weight for my 6'1" frame and I had recently turned 50 years old. For me, I had to be honest with who I am and also be realistic about my genetics. I knew I had to do something and I needed to get to a point I could maintain.

This is what we (wife too) did... First off, with advice from a fellow bowsiter, we got on MyfitnessPal app and started tracking our calories, carbs and fats. Macro percentages, to be more specific. I used the guidelines for my weight, height and age as a template. I always tried to stay below my daily calorie allowance and held my macro percentages as close as possible. I was also working out 3-5 times a week with weights in the back yard. On top of that, I did some intermittent fasting during the week. I would eat dinner (between 6-8 pm) and wouldn't eat again until lunch the next day.

The "diet" I was on was similar to Keto where you count your "Macros", but a bastardized version if you will, because I was still eating lots of fruits and vegetables. In a nutshell, I cut high carb foods out of my diet. NO BREAD, NO PASTA, NO SUGARS, NO POTATOES, etc. I think you get it. I incorporated higher good fat content foods, lean meats, certain nuts, fruits and veggies. Lets just say it was and still is somewhat of a boring diet. Although the lean meats that we as hunters consume sure make it a lot more bearable. I think we went from 1.5 deer a year to about 2.5, (glad my wife can kill s--t). We don't entertain high carb foods in our house, nor do we eat many sweets or highly processed foods. It does take creativity to put together meals night in and night out. I've gotten quite proficient with a knife and a cutting board. :)

One thing I forgot to mention, I had a VISION of what I wanted to look like, how I wanted my clothes to fit, and also how I wanted to ultimately feel. The vision, along with treating my body right, is what pushed me. I can now put on any piece of clothing in my closet, some dating back as far as the late 90's (need to get rid of). I also must have a belt, at all times to keep my pants from falling off. I'm not big on buying new clothing (unless it's camo), so my clothes look like quite baggy on me now. I'm okay with that. lol

I am now around 185 lbs and EXACTLY where I want to be, weight wise. Strength, is now what I am working on. This is now a lifestyle and it's simple to maintain once you've made it as such. YOU HAVE TO WANT IT! For the record... I am by NO means, perfect. I have lapses, I cheat occasionally, maybe have too many whiskey drinks now and then, but hey, I'm human. To date, my wife has lost 35 lbs and I have lost around 45 and as much as 55.

In the end, I just hope I can motivate anyone that might need help, into a new outlook and to get control of their weight and ultimately their health. Hope others can chime in and give testimonials and add to this thread. ~ HNY~

06-Jan-20
I LOVE stories like yours, Rick! Proud of you and Lana for beating "The Lardification of America!"

To anyone who wants the "fix" the healthcare problem, "fix" yourself first.

06-Jan-20
I lost 25# after surgery and radiation but gained it all back. Dr. told me to. I am a yo yo for doing what the Dr. says. I am going to drop some of it again though. This,time voluntarily. Imaging packing around 100 sticks of butter in a backpack...thats the equipment elant that motivates me. I don't want an extra 100 sticks of butter around my gut and butt.

06-Jan-20
Congratulations on finding a healthy lifestyle that works for you and your wife.

06-Jan-20
Spell check sucks. Supposed,to be 'equivelant'

06-Jan-20
It really does start in the kitchen. I have recently put on a little weight and have basically taken the same steps you did. MyFitnessPal is a great app for holding yourself accountable, so long as you actually use the app. Between that and working out a handful of times each week I have already started feeling better and dropped a few pounds. I have another 10 to go before I'm happy in the 195-200 range. No sense in dragging those extra pounds up and down the mountain this fall!

06-Jan-20
MyFitnessPal was a big help to me as well. I really didn't pay much attention to what I was eating prior to using it. The amount of added sugar and calories in a lot of the processed food is insane. Just having a better understanding of what I was eating has helped me quite a bit.

06-Jan-20
Rick-

I can tell you that, at 56 years old, guys like you, Nick (midwest) and Paul Navarre have been points of inspiration (especially after meeting all 3 of ya's at PY last year) as I work on getting back to and maintaining excellent, sustainable and healthy physical fitness. Your FB posts, where you posted pics of your scale as you hit a new PB were particularly helpful! I have always maintained a decent level of fitness, but lacked a year round motivating factor. If I had what i knew would be a physical hunt coming up, I would work my ass off all summer with visions of 12.5K peaks in my head as my motivator. I would return from the hunt feeling like Superman and go right back to doing nothing for 3 months, as the motivator was gone. 207 lbs became 227 and running a mile after doing zero for months felt too much like self torture to be be motivated to go again tomorrow.

Close to a year ago, I changed the way I think. I thought more about my boys and how they will start pumping out Grandkids for me in a few years. I'm taking them hunting, fishing and climbing mountains. It took about 3 months of serious intentionality to get in a groove (habit) of eating cleaner, getting my ass out the door with running shoes on and refusing to negotiate with procrastination. Keeping up with my boys and enjoying my yet to be born grandkids are what works for me.

Maintaining 207 has become pretty easy. My goal is to get and stay below 200, a number I have not seen since about 1984. My other goal is to elk hunt and keep up with Nick and Rick. I may be ok with Embry. The other guy may require hobbling....With Paul, I am going to start out with working towards being as nice of a man as he is and see where that takes me....lol

All that to say, find what inspires YOU and make that your driving force if you are truly committed to be the best you can be, whatever your age.

06-Jan-20
Embry, congratulations to you and your wife for making those changes and working towards your goals!

I'm 47, 5'7" and weigh 150 lbs. I've been blessed with a metabolism that will let me eat just about anything and not gain much weight. I've weighed within plus or minus 5 pounds of 150 since I graduated high school. I kick boxed on a team into my late 20's and I still do push ups and sit ups daily and work out on a Total Gym 3-5 days a week.

My problem was I was starting to feel, sluggish, tired, rundown and no energy. I figured out what I probably already knew all along....my "eat anything" diet was really sapping my energy.

Cutting out sugars and processed food really made a difference for me along with drinking a lot of plain old water daily. I'll still eat pizza or whatever on occasion but I won't sit down and polish of a large pizza by myself anymore.

06-Jan-20
My goal starting August 1rst was to lose 20 pounds and stay under 180 pounds. I have now been under 180 for a while now. Exercise is key in getting / staying in your goal. Dieting alone wont do it!!

06-Jan-20

Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
thats awesome basically same diet down 47lbs in 1 year, love my hiking and rower

06-Jan-20

06-Jan-20
Great story ... now, tell your story as far as you can. 95/100 will call you "lucky" or make excuses of why they can't do it ... but 5 humans can benefit greatly from your story. And that's not nothing, man!

06-Jan-20
Proud of you and Lana brother! You really worked your ass off and there is no other easy way to do it. Getting in and staying in shape is hard ass work and a constant commitment. I am going to start making that commitment to myself. I am a yo-yo. I get in great shape every summer for elk season and then turn in to a piece of chit all winter. As I'm getting older it gets harder and harder to reel in the yo-yo so to speak. I know what it takes to get where I want to be, time to stop being a lazy ass and make it happen and keep it there!

06-Jan-20
The best success I’ve had is with the Fitness Pal App and doing it together with my wife.

Good on you and Lana!

06-Jan-20
Keto did wonders for my wife. She lost weight, and loss a lot of chronic hip pain. I can't do it, I attempt modified version, fresh fruit for me and occasional pasta, and pizza.

06-Jan-20
Great job EmbryOklahoma! I'm back on slow carb to drop into my comfort zone (180-190). It works wonders and is a little more tolerable than strict Keto. I hit the wall way too early with endurance workouts on strict Keto and the 4 Hour Body approach (6 days on, 1 day off) works better to indulge my Roman gluttony. Having vision is key.

06-Jan-20
Way to go Rick and others. My 2019 was similar to you. I had a sheep tag as motivation. I have done a decent job of keep weight off since hunt. The holidays did not help. The scales showed north of 190 when I got home. This morning I was back in 180s would like to keep around 185. I have continued going to gym 3 days a week and eat decent but the "cheats" sneak in more and more if not careful. Will head to gym in about an hour. There is always a devil on one shoulder and a angel on the other and they both have their moments.

All you guys keep it up!!

06-Jan-20
Way to go, Embry...congrats to both you, and your Wife.

Routine and discipline are the only things that work for me. My workouts haven't changed in the last 5 Years, but I've become much more active controlling the diet. Net result has been 10 pounds that I don't have to pack around in the Rockies every Year.

I'm basically where you are with "dirty Keto"...just avoiding starchy carbs, and sugar. Having a freezer full of elk and venison, always makes it easier (and tastier). ;^)

06-Jan-20
That's awesome, Rick! Good for you!

In my case, weight gain is not an issue. I'm one of those lucky few who can eat whatever I want. But I'd gotten into a bad habit of "taking off" fitness training from the end of November until March. Easy to justify because in my younger years I could get back into elk shape in six months, no problem. Finally came to accept that is no longer possible. Funny, because I wrote the feature in Bowhunter on "Senior Fitness for Mountain Hunters", but I wasn't following my own advice.

My younger super-fit girlfriend just built a big workout studio with bay windows that overlook the valley. Bright, sunny, cheery, positive environment. She works out or does an hour of yoga every day, plus hiking/biking/snowshoeing. So now I'm inspired/forced to get after it in one way or another virtually every day, and it's becoming a great habit I now look forward to. I'm certain that I'll be in the best shape of the past 10 years by this August, and so looking forward to that.

06-Jan-20
Rick not wanting to hijack your thread but a question for you middle age folks (like me @43). I go to gym hit the weights. I want to but some mass but not really bulk up. What are you guys doing in that department. Anything you find works well or not? How often, number of reps, ect.

06-Jan-20
Great job, everyone!

Admittedly, the last three months have been our biggest hurdle. Reasons: hunting camp diet and holidays. Food while at deer camp was tough to navigate, simply because it was tough getting out of the daily ritual of cutting up fresh food and cooking meals. All we wanted was convenience. So, we settled for light canned soups, fruits and veggies that we could easily pull from a bag and eat, almonds, and the morning protein bar or shake. Then came thanksgiving and xmas. Sigh. My mother LOVES to bake and good lord they are yummy! But... for the most part, we stayed the course.

Brotsky... maintain man, maintain! Put down those lattes! LOL

Keep up the hard work!

Edit: John, I'm no work out guru but I mix up my cardio and weight training. I NEED to put more emphasis on my weight training as I hear if done correctly can SOMEWHAT take the place of full blown cardio. I wish I had all the answers, but I don't. One thing I will add, I AM not as committed as I should be when it comes to working out. THAT will change. Oh, almost forgot, the weight training I get most benefit from is doing "burnouts" with moderate amounts of weight. Then upping the poundage as I go. Then I take a break because life throws a wrench in and I lose consistency. Again, I want to change that!

06-Jan-20
Way to go Embry and Zebra. Helps motivate the rest of us. Now if Zebra would lose the Badger shirt...

06-Jan-20
whocares we sure made Minnesota look bad didn't we lol

06-Jan-20
A good kettlebell routine added to the workout benefits cardio, multiple muscle groups, and core. Kettlebells are misunderstood but are the most versatile workout tools in existence. With one 20 or 25 pounder I can do more than a dozen strength, flexibility and cardio exercises anywhere, any time.

06-Jan-20
On top of the kettlebells (awesome tool!) add in a bosu ball and crunch your core and balance!

06-Jan-20
I work all summer. Mowed 45 yards last year by myself on my 4 days off a week. The biggest was an 8 acre Wal mart. I've found I have far more strength at my 220 lbs than I did when I was 185. On my yearly elk hunt, I'm usually able to out hike my other buddies.

06-Jan-20
Drink LOTS of water! Supernaut stated above and is right on. I place a one quart bottle on the kitchen counter to make sure I remember to drink one or two, each day. Also post a DIET REMINDER, on the refrigerator door with a work out schedule. Add on your weight goal and then post every other day your weight. On the Reminder sheet, write down those foods/drinks to avoid. Reminds and Keeps up the motivation. Weight workouts? I do just enough not to strain but to keep strong. As one ages, it is SO easy to strain and harm a muscle, and then it takes forever to heal. I surely protect my bow pulling and fly fishing arm and shoulder and do light workouts with a weighted cable pull.

Lots of cardio, ie, legs and lungs. Have fun because aging is not for sissies!

my best, Paul

06-Jan-20
Congrats Rick. I am the yo yo guy too like Brotsky. I have used My Fitness Pal for years and it is great. My diet has gotten a little more tricky as I am trying to cut out as much salt as possible due to my new heart plumbing. My biggest struggle is finding veggies to eat and to stay away from starches. If I don't eat a salad it's broccoli, asparagus or green beans. I would love some tips on what veggies everyone eats and different ways you prepare them.

Also....Nick was PMing me back channel and requesting shirtless photos of you. I thought it was a little weird, but who am I to judge? :)

06-Jan-20
You can absolutely build muscle into your 40's, 50's, 60's and beyond. Most don't have the consistent drive and dedication to achieve it.

06-Jan-20
Mark....LOL!

06-Jan-20
Hopefully this thread will help keep me motivated to lose some wieght. I am the heaviest I have ever been. I am 5'9 and sitting at 175lbs. 160-163 is where I like to be. HARD to get there and stay. My brother is like Jaq, eats whatever and how much he wants and dont gain a pound. I started with my wieght loss diet this morning. So hopefully stick with it

06-Jan-20
I went from 198 last January to 166 in December by counting calories. No way am I giving up bread but I cut sugar way back and try to only have one roll. I’ve never been big on potatoes. The holidays put 5 pounds back on but this will be the first winter I’ve maintained and not yo yod. Trying to stay in elk shape instead of getting there every summer.

06-Jan-20
Mark... those shirtless pics will have to come from Nick. He's a beast. I'm way too modest and WAY too white. :)

As far as veggies, I love carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, and of course salads with all the stuff I just listed. Add some red onion, bell peppers too. We do steam or oven cook our veggies occasionally, but I prefer them raw when eating with a lean meat. I snack on almonds, pork skins, apples, and occasionally bananas. I'm quite simple and boring. We also love eggs (scrambled) and avocados as a meal. Sometimes 2-3 times a week. Another one of go to meals is a plain cauliflower crust pizza (frozen type) you can buy at most stores. I'll add a roma tomato, olive oil (on the crust), bell pepper, red onion, mozzarella, and some turkey pepperoni. Spice it up with a dash of oregano, basil and garlic salt. It's small enough that you're not consuming a lot of calories if you eat half of the pizza. Lana and I usually split it.

More than anything, you have to find low calorie foods that you like and make them staples in your diet. Eggs, lean meats, veggies, fruits... and like others have said, drink lots of water.

Stay away from beer, high carb foods and highly processed foods. Then exercise. It sounds so easy, but that little urge to eat a cookie or donut or burger or pizza is always there. Key is to not fully go back down that high carb road again... that's where I'm at.

Paul, you're definitely an inspiration!

06-Jan-20
Toss your TV in the dumpster and not only will you lose weight, but you'll be happier!

I've always walked a lot, it's something I enjoy, and I've been fortunate that it's kept me from getting fat, but I'm certainly not "in shape" from a health standpoint...my stress is high, my sugars are high, and I'm about as flexible as a tamarack fence post. I gotta manage those things before I can truly say I'm "in shape".

06-Jan-20
"Stay away from beer..."

Now that's just crazy talk! ;-)

06-Jan-20
Can you Build Muscle in your 40's and beyond.. Without Gear, very little... Building it Naturally thru Diet and Exercise, ummmm… no

06-Jan-20

06-Jan-20

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
I hate veggies. So here is what I do every morning since May. I put in blender. Spinach and/kale, carrots, banana, couple strawberries, blueberries, scoop of protein, few cubes of ice, and some water. It fills a 32 oz cup and it is not bad.

06-Jan-20
Not going to derail Rick's thread debating it, Whitey and Molson. Go on believing you can't and I guarantee you will succeed.

06-Jan-20

Whitey's embedded Photo
Whitey's embedded Photo
Maybe Ronnie is doing it wrong too!

06-Jan-20
Midwest, im not talking about adding a few lbs of muscle.. please show me someone in there 40's going from 210 to 240 naturally, im talking muscle, not half fat. not happening without help.

keep believing in Santa Midwest, he will show up sooner or later for you

06-Jan-20
John, that's a good way to get your veggies in. I guess I'm lucky I like veggies. I make a big bowl of salad to keep in the fridge that will last about a week. My evening meal is usually just meat and a salad with oil and vinegar. I might have to try your smoothie for my morning dose of greens!

06-Jan-20
Gee John, I thought that was ice cream on top of the veggies. !

06-Jan-20
I too went a keto Route this past winter. I wanted to see what the rage was all about. While it does drop a lot of weight off a person, it’s still very hard on muscle mass. So, for me the vast majority of the weight was what I didn’t care to loose.

Over the years of training for different things, I’ve found what works for me is basically what works best for most.

The biggest thing is clean foods. Lots of veggies, nuts, and some fruit has to be incorporated into a long term lifestyle diet that is healthy, nourishing, and sustainable. I’ve found caloric intake isn’t nearly as important as a balanced diet consisting of 5 meals a day. I set my goal at 5 meals. If I over eat then I don’t want five meals. That’s my checker. Not calories

If I’m eating clean by staying away from potatoes most meals, no extra sugar in drinks or candy, working out a few times a week, and keeping myself from over drinking my calories, I lean down and stay strong.

That’s the thing with me. I’ve spent thirty years getting strong while lifting, I intend to keep most of that benefit. So, I pile on tons of veggies, some nuts scattered through out the day, and try to ingest a minimum of 16-20 ounces of lean protein daily.

I can’t do it any other way to achieve my goal of being strong, no more then 12% body fat, and having healthy checkups. Processed food is a killer. So is a keto diet if you have an active lifestyle. So, fooling around and finding the best balanced diet is what’s needed for anybody.

06-Jan-20

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Here is the after photo. Not as good as donut or bacon and pancakes.

06-Jan-20
"Processed food is a killer. So is a keto diet if you have an active lifestyle. So, fooling around and finding the best balanced diet is what’s needed for anybody." Well put, Justin. I knew within a month or so that 100% Keto was not good for me. Hell, I almost passed out removing limbs from my back yard while on it. You definitely have to be creative with your foods. Portions is another issue. :)

06-Jan-20
well I was all in until the whole no beer thing crept up! Seriously though, I am pretty chunky right now, I went had some pretty bad neck issue earlier this year and put on some serious weight! I am probably right around 220ish and I am miserable!

I am going to have to seriously up my game and get my Fat Arse back in shape!

Very well doneto all of you that are getting it off and keeping it off, I am more in the Yo-Yo group!!

06-Jan-20
First I'll start with the caveat that I'm no fitness guru, but I have some experience. Second, this is not a promotion for CrossFit. It's just the program I'm most familiar with.

I'm good friends with a guy who is an 8 time Crossfit Games athlete. He was #3 in the world in 2012 and the last two years he's been #1 in the world for the 35 and over category. I invested in the gym that he wanted to start up and he knows a hell of a lot about fitness. He's not just a bro with a six pack. His gym is full of animals and I've seen guys show up and drop 40 pounds of fat and add 20 pounds of muscle who were in their 50's. It absolutely IS possible to put on muscle over 40. I'm 41 and a bit overweight (215 lbs) because I haven't kept my diet on point the last couple of years. I probably carry too much muscle around with me for hunting purposes, I can backsquat 405 and benchpress 285 but that's way more than you need for hunting. I'm back on my diet now and I've lost 20 pounds since Thanksgiving on strict keto. You can get a daily workout on the Crossfit website for free if you don't want to go to a gym. Their programming absolutely works. It's generally a mix of weights and cardio together and done properly will leave you gasping for breath. I personally do better with a gym environment because being around others fires the competitive spirit. I was able to handle my NM elk hunt nicely this year and felt great most of the week hunting above 9000 feet every day. I put on 80 miles in 7 days and the only thing that really was hurting was my feet (I have had foot issues since childhood) Next year I'll probably be hunting Wyoming and I plan on being down around 200 lbs.

06-Jan-20
My wife joined WW last Feb. 25 pounds later(June), I joined as well. She's down 40 now and I'm down 25. I follow the points all week, then on Friday & Saturday I have a few beers to keep my sanity.

I started at 206 and plan to level off at 165. I graduated high school at 155. I was pretty heavy on the weight lifting back then, maxed out at 305 (bench press) at age 17 when I weighed 145. That, and drawing too much weight on my bows early on really wrecked my joints so now I only do push-ups, and pull-ups along with more repetitions of small 5# dumb bells.

The key for me is not trying to do all of this in a short period of time. As a high school wrestler I would cut 15# in a week at the start of the season. Not good!

06-Jan-20
whitey pics are a little deceiving. the pic of arnold early on he was eating d-ball like m&m's with a side dish of growth hormone. same with ronnie on enough stuff to stop a charging rhino. ON LIKE DRVING A RACE CAR OFF A VOLKSWAGON. NOT A TRUE COMPARISION i believe you can add mucsle at a later age. but I don't think your gonna be MR. O

06-Jan-20
Rick good for you and Lana. Like stated it's about movation. To many people have good intentions, but don't have the drive to stick with and quit.

I'm 59 and have stayed in shape most of life and the main reason is I love hunting elk etc. I do cardio and strength training. Every morning before breakfast I do 50 pull-ups.

Remember those hills don't get any flatter as we age. Also elk don't get any lighter either!

06-Jan-20
bowboy you can do 50 pull ups in a row? i want what your eating. wow

06-Jan-20
Girlfriend decided today's light workout was going to be a 3 mile mountain hike with a pack at 9K with 1000' elevation gain in 5-10 degree wind chill with ground blizzards. Good to have a "day off".

Now I'm back sitting by the woodstove, having a beer, wondering if tomorrow she's going to make me pull a loaded friggin' sled up the mountain while wearing snowshoes...

06-Jan-20
Lamb, yes in a row.

06-Jan-20
Fuggg... now I feel like a wimp. I'd bet I can't do 10 pull-ups.

06-Jan-20
"i believe you can add mucsle at a later age. but I don't think your gonna be MR. O"

Correct, Lamb. We aren't looking to win the Arnold classic but we can for sure prevent and even reverse sarcopenia with a high protein diet and strength training. I'm not talking about pro body builders who were once 240 lbs. and 6 percent body fat. I'm talking about guys like JohnMC who asked about putting on some muscle mass at his age of 43 and the answer is absolutely yes and it can be done 100% naturally.

06-Jan-20
Dang Jaq!! I thought you got over that desire to chase that hard when you broke the 30 year mark!!! J/K

I too am a crossfit nut. Been doing it consistently since 2011. I’m 6’5 and weigh 265 so I’m not the ideal build especially for the body weight stuff, but I believe it has helped me tremendously. The coaches at our gym watch newbies like a hawk to keep injuries at bay. If I ate properly I’d be a beast, but.....

06-Jan-20
Great stories and inspiration here.

My inspirational motivator is diabetes. Diagnosed 13 yrs ago and my diet and life totally changed. Eating properly is not hard - eating correctly the is monumental.

Last year I got with a fitness trainer and that has helped me to also stay in shape. My focus is on bowhunting and golf. My program has proven to be very beneficial.

Best of luck to all of you- good health is a key to a good life and an enjoyable retirement. Without good health you are very limited in life.

06-Jan-20
Congrats Rick and Lana on a wonderful lifestyle change. My motivation for weight loss was getting into mountain hunting. I too started with My Fitness Pal. I went on my first mountain hunt 6’2 - 298. After almost killing myself, I decided a change was in order. Got myself in shape and went on 3 sheep hunts and a goat hunt one fall. Came out at 215 lbs. I yo-yo from 230-240 now, but need to get over the hump and try to maintain <225. Too many bad carbs over the holidays has me over 240 currently. Had the first physical of my life last week and all my numbers are perfect but in my mind I know I need another change to lose 20 and keep it off. I stay in reasonable condition by hiking several time a week and snowshoeing in the winter. Need to fire up My Fitness pal and make it part of my life again. The varying degrees of fasting also helps me jumpstart weight loss. I try to mix it up, never eating before noon or after 7 pm. Once a week I try to do a 24 hr. fast, and once a week I try to eat under 1000 calories in a day. Following this routine really helps jump start my weight loss...I know what I have to do to make it happen, I just need that jump start to get me going. Hanging out with a bunch of Bowsite degenerates in Reno next week is not going to help jump start the process. ;)

06-Jan-20
I lost 50# in 5 months for my 2018 goat hunt. I went from 250 to 200. Lowest I got was 194 day after returning from hunt. I'm currently back up to 220. Guess I need to find another mountain hunt.

06-Jan-20
For those who try Crossfit, wade in easy and focus on maintaining good form. A good friend is a well-educated and experienced personal trainer and his opinion is Crossfit is an awesome way to get in great shape for 5% of the population and is a good way for the other 95% to injure themselves.

06-Jan-20
I hear you Rick. Same thing with me. After a month I started getting dizzy when working out or doing heavy manual labor. Performance was really beginning to suffer if it involved strenuous exertion. I was cutting a tree last winter and nearly bottomed out. I mean totally blacked out. I found out it was dehydration and low blood sugar. It took me all summer to get my resting blood sugar from the high 60's back into the mid 80's. It was rough not having any stamina. No more Keto for me bud.

06-Jan-20
GJ Rick/Lana. Love to see it.

I agree with Justin and Lou as usual (WV Mountaineer and Jaquomo).

On a personal note, I’ve never reached 20 lbs higher than the weight I was in highschool and it hasn’t been without a lot of sacrifice and work. I knew growing up seeing all the men in my family with their huge guts that I had to prevent it.

I live what I call the cave man lifestyle, in line with the caveman diet. I go through periods of intense activity associated with a diet that I think our ancestors had during periods of high activity and sloth.

Once I’ve filled my freezer, I take a few months off, but that’s when the cave men had their dried meat and that’s when I go full keto, like I think they did. I bet that after a tribe got a mammoth smoked/dried, they weren’t busting their asses doing CrossFit. They were chilling the hell out and eating meat everyday and that’s how we evolved and how I live/eat.

It’s worked for me. 6’0” 155 lbs at 41 years old and I’ve never had a BMI over 25. My sheep hunt this past August I did 40K feet elevation gain/loss and never missed a beat and was ready to go every day. And I only busted my ass working out the 6 weeks before the hunt with a moderate exercise routine starting 6 months out with absolute sloth the 3 months before that.

07-Jan-20
Anyone who truly values being any a healthy weight and being in shape is

Anyone who wishes for it but does things that don’t end or it isn’t.

Hope isn’t a strategy.

There is a price to pay and most people don’t want to pay it

07-Jan-20
Congrats Rick and your Mrs.

I was 257 lbs and @ 6'1 it was certainly a Puffy Look back in the day.

The lowest I've been was 167 lbs after a Kidney surgery and I think I hit 207 lbs one winter.

I use to live by ' If it doesn't go in (to much eating) ~~ It doesn't go On! (fat boy weight)'

I weight almost every morning, this AM @ 192.4 lbs.

Consistent daily workouts and dieting has been the key to my success against the Lard Ass syndrome .

Good luck, Robb

PS ``50 pull-up all at once!! Congrats

07-Jan-20
Great Post! I've been at it for over 4 years. Went from 240+ to now between 185-195 depending on the time of year. Have been doing Spartan the last couple years. Got my Trifecta last summer. Taking up a Triathlon challenge for this summer. My real love is in the gym though. .....And yes you can build muscle as you age. Obviously slower than when you are in your 20's but with eating right and hard work, 100% yes.

07-Jan-20
"Processed foods are killing folks in this nation." Couldn't agree more! It's funny how I used to make trips down the bread, crackers, and chips isle at the grocery store. Now, I don't even entertain it. I go to the milk (almond milk), eggs and produce section, get my crap and leave.

07-Jan-20
Great thread a lot inspirational ideas here and I sure could use them thanks for posting this.Lewis

07-Jan-20
I train year round using different 12 week cycles from various sources. Last two years i have used the Mountain Tough Fitness cycle the last 3 months prior to elk season. This has been a good strategy. I find that using pre-determined programming keeps me on track. No Bro-Fitness. This way i dont have to think about whether i am doing the right training or not. Its tried and true from professional trainers. I just had to find the right cycles for myself and my goals. I also use Train To Hunt, 3D courses and Alpha Bowhunting Challenges as motivation for shooting and training in a real environment.

07-Jan-20
Again I need HH decoder ring

07-Jan-20
Lol captain America cracks me up

07-Jan-20
I got a headache trying to read that. Possibly a small stroke.

07-Jan-20
One of my problems with wieght is that I like to drink a lot of liquids. If I had it my way. 7:00 would be a thermos of coffee with 3 swiss miss hot chocolate packs in it. A Mt. Dew at 11:00am, 2:00pm, and 5:00pm. And then pour my self two BIG glasses of chocolate milk (32oz each)for supper. Problem with that is that it means I drank my calories for the day

07-Jan-20
Great thread and inspirational for sure.

I do my best to workout year round. Unfortunately this past holiday season finds me more round than fit... My achilles is the diet piece. I enjoy working out, whether it be weights or doing cardio.

For gaining strength I can't say enough good things about the strong lift 5x5 program. Eventually you'll plateau, my suggestion is a low set/high rep transition for a few months, then I end up back on the 5x5's again.

Here's to 2020

07-Jan-20
drunk^^^^

07-Jan-20
HH... stop being a dumbass and move to another thread.

07-Jan-20
haha well put Embry. My only question is HH John Rambo? If so where can I find some explosive tip broadheads?

In all seriousness great thread, congrats to all getting in shape. I used to drink way to many Rockstars and Monsters. I pissed out a kidney stone bigger than the end of my pinky finger. I've been drinking a lot more water, exercising daily and feel great. I can workout 7 days a week, but if my diet isn't on point it is all for nothing or at least no gains. I'm not a Cam Hanes fanboy, but I would say he is a pretty realistic example of "wanting" it and putting on natural muscle after 40.

08-Jan-20
Last summer, I started combining running and biking after reading a fitness thread on Bowsite. It made the workouts longer and tougher. A couple of days ago, my wife agreed to put the treadmill right in the living room in order to keep it in sight and in mind. It has worked and I hope to be road-ready immediately this spring, unlike in previous years when the brutal winter curtailed the aerobic exercise. I appreciate these threads - thank you.

08-Jan-20
Last year, I believe, we had a similar thread. The topic of "Pull ups" came up then and here it is again. My guess is less than 5% of the folks that are reading this thread can do ten consecutive correct pull ups.......Try it!!! If you can.....you are awesome!.....

08-Jan-20
Then you my friend are in that elite 5%!!

08-Jan-20
HH your a legend...in your own mind! I think but never really sure what the hell you are saying.

09-Jan-20
"Test your core strength. Sit on the floor with your legs crossed and stand straight up with out using your hands"

Felt like more of a balancing act than a test of core strength.

09-Jan-20
I like threads like this. The main thing is to see guys (and wives or gals) who DON'T want to live a life which is compromised by their excess weight....and they take determined action to lose it. Anyone who does it has a strategy, though some are more into the science, numbers and specific nutrition.

No point focusing on my numbers. I was fat. That was years ago. It sucked. I found a million ways to ignore dealing with it. Then came the realization I had a responsibility to my wife and family. To hell with hunting, hiking or those 32 jeans. I was losing quality of life, and threatening my future health overall by being f-a-t. I really came to see my overeating and food choices as being that of a selfish jerk. Instant pleasure meant more than the negatives it was bringing to me and my family. When I came out of that mental coma, I knew it was time.

My biggest help was the accurate digital scale I bought. I weigh in every single morning at the same time, sans clothing. I record my weight in a log. To lose weight, I developed my own eating strategies and they worked. I spent many months and never gave up the plan. I consulted nobody....this was my deal. I peeled off a LOT of pounds and made it to my goal. Today I realize the struggle never ends. I'm a chronic pleasure-eater, and I must contain that. When my weight rises, I manage it and get back on target. I'm currently working my plan and peeling off a few 'hibernation' pounds. No question I'll do it. Anyone reading this can do it too. Taking the first few steps are the hardest part of the journey.

I'm not exactly built to be svelte. Today I'm more linebacker than offensive tackle.

1980s...

Recent...

And my wife who also happens to be a freakazoid hiker....

09-Jan-20
I want to like be Kevin Dill when I grow up....

09-Jan-20
Kevin, I resemble that remark! (Chronic pleasure eater). I am also in hibernation mode, but somehow stay under 200# at 6'. Not sure how. I want to get back to 175#, then build endurance and wiry muscle from there. I presently am awaiting delivery of 2 home made egg mcmuffins from a co-worker. Argh. Your post made me think they should be my first and LAST 2 of 2020. Will power. I need to listen to my wife who is alot like yours...motivated to stay thin and in shape, and eat very healthy. Hikes and works out her butt off. Good post, thanks for the inspiration. It's back to the gym for me. The holidays are over. Good thing happened this year though, I hardly drank any alcohol at all. TK

09-Jan-20
Well said, Kevin. I think giving up the junk food must be a lot like quitting smoking... very hard in the beginning but gets easier with time. Anyone who works in an office environment knows the struggle to avoid the garbage. Constantly bombarded with donuts, candy, pizza, etc. We're having pizza brought in today for lunch. I'll eat my own lunch before it even arrives and stay the hell away from the break room where it's being served. Sitting on a table in the middle of our office right now is a bag of puppy chow, a bag of ranch oyster crackers, popcorn, and various candy bars. I walk by looking at it like it's poison. Because it is.

I'm far from perfect 100% of the time but I'm in fat loss mode right now and walking away from the junk is easy when I'm focused and training hard.

09-Jan-20

TrapperKayak's embedded Photo
These will be the last two this year. Just told the delivery man that...

09-Jan-20

Rocky D: Good post. Makes my head hurt just reading an HH post.

RE: "Unlike most Americans I know hunger, the kind where it gnaws at your flanks and you see you spine protruding the skin more and more every day." I was thinking maybe he was a POW camp guy, looks more like a concentration camp victim in a past pic posted, than a war hero capable of humping a kit or elk hq and backstrap all day. But if he says so, it must be true....

09-Jan-20

I have no idea wbere the picture of that buck came from.. Not mine. This is what I posted. Last two for the year...

09-Jan-20

I have no idea wbere the picture of that buck came from.. Not mine. This is what I posted. Last two for the year...

09-Jan-20
I wish the MAN WOULD deliver me those two bucks though!!!! Instead of the junk food....

09-Jan-20
Not sure what is wrong with the egg/muffin for breakfast. I'll do two scrambled eggs, 2 slices of bacon, or deer breakfast sausages on an english muffin. Typically about 350 calories and high in protein.

09-Jan-20
A long time ago (27-28 years) I decided I needed to have a short but intense workout to maintain my core strength and keep my weight down. I've been doing it every week for my whole life since then. I knew I needed to keep it short or I wouldn't keep doing it. It has kept me in pretty good shape for all these years. It is basically 2 to 3 days of strength training a week and cardio on the other days. Most weeks I work out 5 or 6 days. Cardio is running 3 miles in the summer and in the cold months I incline walk or do the elliptical. Strength training is working chest, shoulders-arms, back, abs, and legs. I also stretch every weekday morning to keep sciatica and shoulder issues at bay. This has kept me at the same weight for basically all those years. Maybe a 5 pound swing in winter.

09-Jan-20
Bowbender, high fat content in the Velveeta cheese and the sausage and carbs in bread. And sitting at a desk all day. Just not as healthy as oatmeal and fruit. We bave a huve military gym for free and I am going back to non holiday mode....and back to gym like during the previous 11 mos before Christmas. And off the greasy food. Eggs and lean meat, NP!!!

09-Jan-20
ki-ke (Steve) cracks me up. My wife doesn't think I'll ever grow up.

The problem I see with most attempts is that they suddenly find enough motivation to do something, and then they tear off down a path of weight loss without considering if it's a path they can stay on forever if needed. Maybe the good thing that happens is they lose some weight and discover the benefits of that. A better sustainable plan is needed if staying in decent shape is the objective.

I was pathetic. I had lost control. I'm really fortunate that I came out of my mental coma. But if I could do it in my 50s.....nobody has a valid excuse, lol.

Trap....just say no to drugs! (McD, TB, BK, KFC...ad nauseum)

09-Jan-20
Anyone know how many of those little cartons of egg-nog a guy can have a day? Asking for a friend..

09-Jan-20
Sugar is a tough drug to quit!!! Takes a huge mental commitment. I need to get myself in order. Workouts are no issue, but eating is holding me back!!

09-Jan-20
Kevin, I,rarely eat at fast food,restaurants. Maybe once or twice a year when in a pinch. That part is no problem. Its walking by the stuff in the break room that is the problem. It's back to the healthy trend now though, my wife is my drill Sgt.

09-Jan-20
A stomach is surprisingly like a dog. It has to learn that 'no' means no. Not 'maybe'. Your dog and your stomach will cheat the rules if you let them. And they never stop trying.

09-Jan-20
TK,

I very seldom eat FF. Maybe 3-4X a year. And typically it's not because I'm in a hurry. I get migraines a few times a year. With them comes nausea, sometimes really severe. It's funny, but the thought of a greasy 1/4lber and fries and then actually scarfing it down usually settles my stomach down. Unless of course the puking has started. Then just leave me alone to die in the bathroom. lol

09-Jan-20
Bowbender...bummer! That sounds awful. A lousy weight loss strategy!

09-Jan-20
Grape I can do ten but I have a bad elbow that is a lot better when I do pull ups daily to keep it muscled up. I’ll agree that probably 95% of men can’t do 10 pull-ups or bench press their body weight. If you can’t press your weight then you are either weak or weigh to much.

Kevin is spot on as far as I’m concerned. I weigh in after my morning deuce and weigh out after my nightly shower. Constant feedback tells me if I’m doing something wrong. I don’t subscribe to a “diet”. I eat anything in moderation, some things are moderated more but I like bread and sweets and I eat some if I feel like I want it. I’ve given up liquid calories, if I’m having sugar I am eating it. ;) A lot of my family is overweight and they go on “diets”. The problem with a diet is once you’re off you go back to gaining weight. The “diet” has to be your life style not something you do a few months a year. Choose something that’s sustainable for the rest of your life.

09-Jan-20
Biggest issue with health regimes is sticking to them, make them easy, peer pressure etc. all help. I've settled on the fact that I am HORRIBLE at workouts on my own, I really need hte peer pressure/motivation of a class environment for anything that isn't literally minutes.

Here's what I've settled on: - Mon/Wed I do a 45 minute spinning class. That hits legs and cardio, and some core - Tues/Thur - HIIT class, full body workout Daily at home: - 60 second plank and 10 pushups (changes the plank type and pushup type to keep it interesting) - Have a chin up bar on a doorway in the hall, I walk past it MANY times a day, at least 1-2 times I stop and do pull ups (hands forward, arms fully extended, pull up slow and down, no swinging)

Combine with trying to be healthy on the diet and it mostly works. Keeps me in shape for hiking/hunting etc. and keeps the weight in control.

09-Jan-20
If you have a lot of weight to lose you are going to have to "diet". You can't eat the same way you would to maintain your weight and lose a significant about of weight. Success breds success and you need the early motivation of seeing benefits ( scales, clothing, activity level) to stick with it, because it is not fun. I do believe you have to transition the "diet" into more sustainable eating habits that you can tolerate long term.

09-Jan-20

You, at the Tet Offensive, Hiro? Lol!

09-Jan-20
Whitey, I watched a video on it after I did it. I think it's a cool move to work on going both up and down. I had to rock myself forward to be able to get up. I'm going to work on this until I can do it smooth and easy. Fun challenge!

09-Jan-20
I’m down 80 pounds from a few years ago still a fat kid but I’ll stuff hh his Alice and them quarters in my kifaru and haul his lil butt around

09-Jan-20
"Most people that use trekking poles have weak cores. People with strong cores may use trekking poles to preserve strength for activity at the end of a hike."

^^^^ Thats some funny shit right there...

09-Jan-20
Turned 65 in November, I would love to put muscle mass back on but I prefer Cardio to weight training. I am ramping up my running and doing 25-30 minutes of weights each day. I swore to back off the gluttony the holidays bring....but failed again. I am now paying the price as I need to get back the 15 lbs I have put on. No worries it will happen but the first few weeks of getting back into a healthy routine are the hardest. d

09-Jan-20
" I had to rock myself forward to be able to get up. I'm going to work on this until I can do it smooth and easy".

Just tried it...easy peasy! ;^)

09-Jan-20
"Most people that use trekking poles have weak cores. People with strong cores may use trekking poles to preserve strength for activity at the end of a hike."

Not all squares are rectangles but all rectangles are squares....or somethin like that

09-Jan-20
Yooper its the other way around. Fubar......:)

09-Jan-20
Brad I think Whitey is HH slightly more literate brother.

09-Jan-20
Anybody have any luck with supplements? Only reason I ask is I have had good luck with Wilderness Athlete's Lean Life. It helps curb those late afternoon cravings and has jumpstarted my metabolism a bit. I dont think they are necessary, but have maybe given me a placebo to work harder at it.

Dik get your butt in shape, I need you to pack my bull out this fall!

09-Jan-20
WOW SALLY?!?!? Man you better pinky promise to never say that kinda stuff again someone’s gunna come back with a your momma or or or butt breath......

09-Jan-20
Haha your cute never met or spoke with Cnelk judging by past reply’s don’t think he’s a fan of me or my antics I just really got a kick out of your sally comment.

09-Jan-20
Whitey has gone from calling folks girls and Sally to pussies. What a insecure person he must be. Not to mention derailing a good thread.

09-Jan-20
Well then ya gunna pinky promise not to do it again???

09-Jan-20
JHC..... some of you won't be satisfied until the Bowsite is shut down completely. Whitey, take your sh!t offline, or go to Archery Talk. That place is nothing but a d!ick measuring contest. Trust me, you'll win.

09-Jan-20
HH was that IED implanted in your head before detonation?

10-Jan-20
It's a real shame to see a good, motivational thread turn into a manure-tossing turnoff.

From EmbryOklahoma in his original post:

"In the end, I just hope I can motivate anyone that might need help, into a new outlook and to get control of their weight and ultimately their health. Hope others can chime in and give testimonials and add to this thread."

10-Jan-20
I have a good friend who owns an entire block of industrial warehouse buildings in a shady area of NJ, just outside of Newark. Shady as in, he has gobs of concertina wire strung on his fences so creeps have a hard time getting into his parking areas where he keeps his trucks.

When some loser "tags" his buildings with graffiti, his maintenance guy immediately covers the mess with paint that matches the building perfectly. After doing this for a few months, the jackwads found other places to tag, as once their work wasn't visible and obviously not appreciated, they lost motivation to "post". Brilliant!

10-Jan-20
Pull ups are a great exercise to develop upper body and core strength for sure and they are honestly one of the easiest exercises you can do in terms of equipment needed. Don't worry about how many you can do, just do them until failure.

When I was in my 20's I worked out with a guy that was a power lifter. I could do 3 sets of 25 pull ups weighing 150 lbs. He weighed 225 lbs. and could do 3 sets of 25......he did his wearing a modified weight belt with 90 lbs. of plate weights hanging off it. Everyone has their own definition of "strength". I can still do 3 sets of 15 at 47 years old but it isn't as easy at it used to be LOL.

10-Jan-20
Ya know where I work there are people who are habitual "conversation killers". For example, there will be a few folks having a good conversation that is enjoyable, and productive, then, seemingly out of nowhere, the habitual conversation killer will insert themselves into the conversation and begin to make irrelevant and inane comments, that has everyone immediately rolling their eyes. Before you know it, the original folks quickly disperse, and just like that, the conversation has been killed. Sadly, the same thing seems to happen on Bowsite as well. "He who has ears to hear, let him hear"...…

10-Jan-20

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Those are truly small tissues HH. Reminds me of my daughters. ;)

10-Jan-20
All I know is that I keep going from the Sous Vide thread to this one, not sure if that helps :) Great thread and thanks for some of the inspiration here. Congrats to the ones making the change for the positive, especially you and your wife Rick. Keep at it as I plan to do the same.

10-Jan-20
Great analogy, deerslayer. It's like thread cancer.

10-Jan-20
To answer twineticklers question I used mtn ops when I started out with my weight loss. Like you it worked for me but I feel it was somewhat a placebo effect. I know for sure that their are other products available from non outdoor companies that work at minimum as well for half or less the price, but theirs also something to be said for supporting an outdoor company.

10-Jan-20
Ronnie Coleman destroyed his body by lifting mind-boggling weight & encountering multiple injuries in the process and by using muscle enhancing chemicals, that's why he looks that way now. I don't know what Arnold did, probably just age and politics, but he will forever be known as one of the Legendary bodybuilders, among other things.

10-Jan-20
I will be 50 this year and am still lifting heavy weights and doing long trail runs, and plan to do that until my feet and legs give out or my joints can't take it anymore. For me personally, there's nothing worse than losing my strength so I stay at it all the time.

10-Jan-20
Now that some of the rif-raff is gone, I have a question for you 4-5 day, after work, workout guys....

After working 10 hour days and my brain fully entrenched in work, I find my desire to go to the gym is there, but my energy is lacking. Any tips on things to take/eat or drink that might invigorate and give more energy? Again, I just find myself flat when I get to the gym at 5:30-6 PM. Now, once I get there and get past that "I'm tired" feeling and get engaged with weights or cardio, I'm all in. I just think my workouts could benefit from something else, legal of course. :)

10-Jan-20
Embry, I'm in the same boat as far as my work schedule and I know if I didn't work out at home and had to drive to the gym there would be days when I'd have trouble getting motivated. I have about 500 lbs. of plate weights that I barely touch anymore. I'm hooked on the Total Gym my wife bought and really get a good workout using my own body weight. I also do some dumb bell work and light plates on a curl bar plus push up, sit ups and pull ups.

The big thing for me after work is to immediately work out, not sit down, no take a break, just change my clothes and work out. I grab a big water and get at it. I know guys that swear by the energy drinks when they work out but they always give me a sour stomach so I stick to water.

10-Jan-20
Supernaut....Three sets of 15 pull ups daily...You are an animal!!

10-Jan-20
LOL grape, I'm lots of things but an animal isn't one of them. I usually do the pull ups 3 times a week, sometimes 4. Push ups and sit ups daily 7 days a week. Total gym and the light free weights 3-5 days a week. My biggest lack is cardio. I walk a good bit for work at times in some steep terrain but I really should get some type of cardio back into my routine. I hate running, exercise bikes are boring to me and I haven't jumped rope since I kick boxed 20 years ago so I'd probably end up hurting myself LOL. I gotta figure something out though, 2020 goals I guess.

10-Jan-20

HH's embedded Photo
HH's embedded Photo

10-Jan-20
Embry I’m not very good at working out other than my pull-ups. I have to have something to push me like a half marathon or something. If you’re in the market for equipment I’d recommend a rower. It can be monotonous but it’s a good low impact workout that will complement your hill packs. The rowing tones your upper body quite a bit too.

10-Jan-20
Embry, I have to take energy chews or GU or drink a tea or other natural energy food about a half hour before a run or I'm dogging bigtime, works for me. When my kids were little I'd work out at home before work in the basement with a simple plates and body weight exercises, did it for literally 15 years. Now my schedule and life circumstances have changed, we (wife & I) work out after work and call it after an hour, you'd be surprised how much you can do in an hour when that's all a person is focused on and not BS'ing w/everybody. I have to drink a milk or protein drink after, or I'm dragging again, it's what works for me.

10-Jan-20
Darn it, I missed HH's comments. Judging by some of the responses to him, they were doozies. ;-) Good thread, otherwise.

Man, some of you guys make me feel like a slug. I've never liked working out just for the sake of a workout. I much prefer spending an entire day doing something physically active and fun. It may be chores around my property, or rowing my drift boat down a river, or fighting tarpon on my skiff, or walking miles in waste high weeds chasing pheasant, and of course big game hunting all fall......I try to break a sweat most days doing something fun.

In past years, downhill skiing has always been my winter fitness activity. 30-40 days on the slopes was normal each year. Unfortunately, I've lost my passion for it, and my waistline shows it. I'm 30#s over my fighting weight right now. I'm hoping my new e-bike changes all of that. UPS is supposed to deliver it today. WooHoo!!

Keep up the strong work, gentlemen, it's truly inspiring.

Matt

10-Jan-20
MT. Livin... I was actually thinking of getting some GU packs and taking them before workouts or before leaving work. I'm definitely not into any type of sugar based energy drinks. As far as weights go, I've got dumbellls up to 35 lbs in the backyard. I use them from time to time. The gym, is on my way home so it's convenient for the weekdays. I'm getting a lot more strength back and actually gaining weight. Duration of workout has changed too, because I used to be the talker guy and now I'm focused and can be done in less than an hour.

Good talk fellas!

10-Jan-20
Rick, if you are talking like a pre workout supplement, I've tried a bunch and my favorite is Pre-Kaged from Kaged Muscle. I also really like their post workout and recovery, Re-Kaged. KM has a bunch of good workout programs available as well. Kris Gethin, the owner, is a freakin animal. He's not just a former bodybuilder, he's done Ironman and Ultramarathons.

10-Jan-20
This is a great thread and it’s timely because I really need to lose weight - like many guys my age.

My problem is my career requires a lot of travel. 75 flights last year. I’m on a plane or train every week of the year. And that travel includes Lunch and business dinner meetings with beer, scotch, steaks, appetizers, etc. I tried ‘just saying no’ and eating a little slice of fish while everyone else is eating rib-eyes but that blows and I don’t have the discipline to sit there drinking water. Declining the lunches and dinners is not optional.

I know the minute I retire I’ll drop 40lbs. I’m 55 so have a few years to go.

Curious what others with extreme business travel requirements do to lose weight and then keep the weight off? I Exercise and eat decent when I’m not on the road but that’s only half the week.

10-Jan-20
Pat quit taking the flights and ride your bike! J/K In my previous life I traveled a lot so I know what you mean. Most hotels have a gym. Spent some time in it in the mornings or end of day. Not only will you burn a few calories. I think there is something that goes off in your head once you put in the effort to workout that says don't blow it by eating things that makes all your hard work go out the window.

10-Jan-20
Pat, Eat the ribeye with a salad and a light dressing. Skip the potatoes and bread. For lunches, eat off the "light" menu. For breakfast, eggs, bacon, and maybe half a bagel or english muffin. No soda, lots of water. In between, if you get hungry, eat a protein bar (low sugar, read the label) or a handful of nuts. Get on the damn hotel dreadmill every morning after some water and coffee, before you eat, set the incline up and just power walk for 30 minutes. Do some strength exercises if you feel like it but make sure you're sweating good before you leave the room.

10-Jan-20
Pat, you HAVE TO say no. Period. That and exercise.

10-Jan-20
Nick is spot on. My business is constant meetings that always revolve around food. It IS difficult, but you can eat relatively clean while out. "Discipline is certainly the tough part and I tend to suck at it. "HEY, you like whiskey! Try this one!" Me: "sure!"

I forego obvious carbs, drink only water (and whiskey....and SOME beer) and try hard as hell to eat not much more than 1/2 my meal when out. THAT...is F'n hard for me to do.

I've dropped about 25 lbs just restraining myself and adding 4 days/week, non negotiable running sessions into my work schedule. Upping that to 5 tomorrow! Nicks 100 miler sign up inspired the extra day

10-Jan-20
Sure is nice that whiskey is carb-less and red wine has minimal carbs. Heartbreaking that beer is loaded with em. I know that's where my winter weight came from this year. Damn Christmas Ales

10-Jan-20
You get fat, you get old, and you die. Only one of those is a choice.

10-Jan-20
Brotsky - that terrible you are suggestion we off ourselves before we get old!? ;)-

10-Jan-20
Meant with entire respect:

Anyone who has an excuse for eating the wrong foods, carrying around extra weight, and likely having some negative effects on health or lifestyle.....is probably going to find a different excuse for not dropping those pounds upon retirement. There will be exceptions, but they're the minority. Almost every retired person (as in friend or relative) I know instantly gained weight when work disappeared....despite their best intentions and frustration.

10-Jan-20
Pat, I flew almost every week for 25 years, and the purpose of my flights was pretty much to meet some people and eat-drink in the best restaurants in every city. For me the keys were portion control of meals that included lots of vegetables, grains and fiber, watching sweets, and exercising regularly. No real secrets.

10-Jan-20
Eggs, avocados, salads (light dressing), fruits and veggies, lots of venison (we all have LOTS of that), chicken, almonds (not peanuts), boring? Yes! Healthy, yes!

I believe I mentioned it in my original post, but you have to cut carbs and sugars. I now see bread, potatoes, sweets and highly processed foods as taboo. I don't even entertain most. Except my Moms caramel and chocolate turtles and peanut brittle during Christmas. :)

10-Jan-20
Get off the insulin rollercoaster. Drop the processed carbs and sugars. If you commit to it, cravings will become much more manageable to non-existent. Bottomline: fix your biochemistry.

A favorite quote on the subject: "You're not getting fat because you eat too much, you're eating too much because you are getting fat"(Taubes). And the standard American Diet is tailor made for packing on body fat.

10-Jan-20
Damn, that venison meatloaf and mashed potatoes and gravy I just had was DELICIOUS!! :-).

Wait...What were we talking about?

Matt

11-Jan-20
Agriculture has only been around for 10-12,000 years. Our industrialized "food" industry for little more than a century. Prior to that, for millions of years (over 99.5% of our developmental time), our DNA evolved while virtually the only food available was fat and meat from animals. We're fat and sick largely because we are maladapted to a anthropologically rapid onslaught of commonplace chronic toxins masquerading as tasty food and beverages.

11-Jan-20
I will agree with that. Why I have so many freezers filled with Red Wild Meat. Do run a good sized garden and can a great deal as well. I just did about a gallon of BBQ sauce from tomatoe's I juiced in August. I think I cannned roughly 80 qts in 2019.

I ground about 65lbs of wild meat yesterday. Some I mixed with ground Hog. My stash of Brats is gone. In a few weeks we will do about 750 Wild Brats of spice flavors. Takes about 10hrs. No MSG, no chemicals, No LBG's touching my meat. Working for your dinner in the woods and kitchen still happens in this Hunter Gatherers Kitchen.

Living Hard, Keeps you hard

K

11-Jan-20

JohnMC's Link
I just ran across this. Suggest you should skip breakfast. Don't eat until you are hungry later in the day. Interesting how some suggest eating 6-7 mini meals a day. Some say you should fast a large portion of 24 hour day. I guess if you take the middle ground it comes down to eating an appropriate amount of calories and make them as health as possible most of the time.

11-Jan-20
I skip lunch most days. I eat a 1/2 bagel with peanut butter for breakfast and way too much of what my wife cooks for supper. It doesn’t matter what you do, unless you exercise 5 hours a day or eat 3000 calories of celery, it all comes down to intake. A good workout can’t overcome 3500 calories of bad eating a day. Putting most of my calories in one meal I can over eat and still be at or below my desired caloric intake. If I ran 12 miles a day like Midwest I could eat a big lunch. ;) I would never survive skipping breakfast and it took me several months to get used to skipping lunch but it fits my work schedule.

11-Jan-20

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

11-Jan-20
What ever happened to "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper"? We seem to do it all backwards, nowadays.

Matt

11-Jan-20
Ghost I try to load my calories around my workout time. That’s in the evening. If I worked out in the morning I’d eat a bigger breakfast. Mostly my wife doesn’t get up in time to make breakfast before I leave the house and she cooks a supper fit for a king.

11-Jan-20
Everyone is different and everyone needs to find what works for them in both exercise and diet. Finding what that is for each individual can take years of trying different things. Paramount is finding something that is sustainable for YOU for a lifetime.

11-Jan-20
Rick I use a pre workout and also supplement with L-Arginine, Glutamine and CLA that I just buy at Walmart. A good pre workout that i like is Outdoor Supplements Ascend. It is enough to give me a boost, but not enough to keep me up wired all night.

11-Jan-20
The hardest part for me is that I like all the stuff that's not good for you. I can go 6 months without pop or fast food and only eat and drink super healthy. Even after 6 months, I still want the pop and fast food just as bad. I never get to the point where dont want it BAD. I am the type that LOVES to eat till I cant breathe. Several people have said if I eat smaller healthy portions that I will get to where the want to eat myself miserable will go away. Nope, not me. Makes life miserable trying to stay at my "target" weight of 160lbs.

12-Jan-20
KsRancher, you're the classic case of someone who is hyperinsulinemic or insulin resistant. Even if you're near a normal body weight and have good blood glucose tests, you could be producing 5x or 10x the factor of insulin to achieve that "normal" glucose level. Of course, you could just be a dope fiend because sugar (and by extension junk carbs) affects our brains like opium. When Karl Marx said religion is the opium of the masses, he was wrong. Judging by the 20th century +, it's clearly sugar.

The 6 months of deprivation you cite is likely calorie restricted and running on sheer will power. Just guessing. (Very impressive, btw.) That's as unsustainable as unnecessary. Eliminate the junk carbs, sugars and artificial sweeteners and you're cravings will go away. That was my experience, anyway, and no one has a ravenous sweet tooth like mine.

12-Jan-20
Did good with the combination of weight watchers and being in a faculty/staff weight group with a trainer at OkState (OSU) in Stillwater. The trainer had me use bands at the end of the sessions sometimes when I was going to an archery event and they are great. Like bands for around the house too 'cause they a re easy to use and inexpensive too.

Not so good the last few in the Adirondacks during the fall when the local apple growers out their wares. Those fresh apple pies will hurt you. But the bands help.

12-Jan-20
I have friends who have had very good success on keto and many other diet fads. In all cases, those successes were temporary, and they gained all the weight back and in some cases, more weight than they lost. I’m far from perfect in the fitness category, but I eat whatever I want, just less of it, and some of the real bad things, ice cream French fries, etc, only on rare occasions. But I do run/walk on a tread mill five days a week for at least 30 minutes and work on a weight machine twice a week. I’ve been doing this or more for 35 years. At age 68, I can pretty much hunt anywhere but the real tough hunts like sheep and mountain goats. In my view, unless it’s sustainable, it’s a waste of time. Lots of diets, are not sustainable.

12-Jan-20
I wish i could hain some weght back. After 89 in a hot chit hole i took a hood one to brain housing group. After that i slowly over time lost 30lbs of muscle due to a massive TBI. I level out after about 5yrs to 160. Tried every but staight HGH, ate 7500 calories a day when not in the bush, two a days in unti gym. Nothing worked. It remains same today 30yrs later. It did not kill me so i got that i reckon. So, hard for me to relate to weight losing.

K

12-Jan-20

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Running sucks. Running in the winter sucks worse but it sure is pretty sometimes.

12-Jan-20

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

12-Jan-20
Fun on running snow shoes. Keep poles wirh you in deep powder!

H~

12-Jan-20
14 miles according to Fitbit hunting pheasant today in CRP. That will burns some calories. Two roosters. One with a shotgun the other I caught with barehands. I have d one a lot of pheasant hunting in my day. That was a first.

13-Jan-20
I'm up to 190... getting fat again. :)

Pat... you going to make some changes or what? I don't want to see you at 240 lbs when we go to Reno! :)

13-Jan-20
Who da thunk it HH had a tbi we woulda never guessed it in a million years.

13-Jan-20
Thanks to Embry for starting this one, and to all that have replied positively. It's been the push I've needed to make some changes happen from gaining 30+ pounds back after I spent a year building my new home. I have a desk job, was 225 (6' 2") and then tackled the house building- dropped down to 187 by eating one meal a day along with too many busch lights. I lived in my camper while my wife lived in our old house waiting for the move in day. I knew the pounds would catch back up- and they have. Since Jan 5th, I now spend 25 minutes every morning on the treadmill, and then a quick lifting session before I shower and head to work. I've never been a breakfast guy, but always ate junk for lunch and too much of it. Changing that has been the hardest part, but I'm working on it. Weighed in this morning at 225 (high was 232) and beginning to see that I can raise my speed, incline and go longer- still suffering through chronic knee pain- but the heart and lungs feel better. I'm 50, and still waiting on grand kids- I need to keep this up so I'm around to enjoy them. Thanks to all for the motivation!

13-Jan-20
Way to go DRR! Who else put in the effort this morning??? September is coming fast!

13-Jan-20
Tonight is lift night then a half mile swim.

13-Jan-20
Myself and both parents are hitting the gym tonight right after work!

14-Jan-20
Great tips and stories in this thread. I have committed myself this year to getting in better shape and eating healthy. About 4 weeks in so far and going pretty well. Have not had any bread, dairy, sweets or pasta and been hitting the gym daily. I have some buddies do a DIY mule deer hunt in Montana every year and have been asked multiple time to go. The thought of all the walking with the poor cardio shape I was in kept me from committing. I'll see where I am in March when it comes time to apply for the tag.

14-Jan-20
Archer - Commit to going on the hunt TODAY. Don't worry if you are in shape come March. You will be amazed the motivation that will create between when you commit and the hunt. You can make amazing gains in that amount of time. I drew my sheep tag last year in first of May. At 42 I dropped from mid 220's to 185 by the first of August. I may not have been the fastest guy up the mountain, but could everything I need to. You will be glad you did not just for the hunt but for what you did physical for yourself. I think if you having a crystal clear reason for getting in better shape you have 10x better chance of achieving.

Also tell people for example the guys you are going hunting with and your friends and family or bowsite. What you goals are and what you are doing to get there. It is harder to fail if you know people will know you failed and/or if they are helping keep you motivated.

14-Jan-20
John is correct... tell people, commit, and find a source of accountability. That's kind of what I did. EVERY Tuesday morning, I posted a photo of my scale after I weighed in, on social media (use whatever avenue is best for you). It was also motivating to hear from others wanting to know what I was doing and such. In the process, I also motivated others to do the same. That's what invigorated me to keep doing it, even if some found it odd or redundant.

14-Jan-20
Giant congrats to you Rick, Lana and the rest of you that have shared inspiring stories about taking control of your own destiny!!!!

Mark

• Sitka Gear