writer 09-Jan-20
TrapperKayak 09-Jan-20
AaronShort 09-Jan-20
writer 09-Jan-20
Thornton 09-Jan-20
Trial153 11-Jan-20
07-Jan-20

writer's Link
....and one side is a tiny typical. (Of course it’ll need to be paneled to be official)

07-Jan-20
Shame that will take the 4th place in the all time records. IMO these "freaks" should be limited.

07-Jan-20

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Yikes!
Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Yikes!
Pic from article

Well that did come thru very well

07-Jan-20
Franklin

Why would it or any other NON TYPICAL be limited?

07-Jan-20
AWSOME deer. Congrats to hunter!

07-Jan-20
That is one ugly buck. I'd still shoot it, but not sure I'd worry about where it was going in the house.

07-Jan-20
Just incredible!! I believe a deer should get credit for every inch of bone on its head. Even if it’s butt ugly.

07-Jan-20
How the heck do you even score something like that?!?

07-Jan-20
From: Brotsky07-Jan-20Private Reply How the heck do you even score something like that?!?

Was about to ask the same

07-Jan-20
Seems like I remember some they call "cactus" bucks? That they can't/don't score?? That one looks like a candidate, can't see where they find a main beam and any typical points. Hard to tell from a picture though. Still a neat deer no matter what!

07-Jan-20
Cool deer! Yes it’s a bit homely looking, but I’ve always been intrigued by antlers like that! One way or another he grew a lot of bone..

07-Jan-20

Mule Power's embedded Photo
Mule Power's embedded Photo

07-Jan-20
wtf - that buck definitely needed another year!

(maybe to straighten things out and get more "typical")

07-Jan-20
Ken Witt from Texas (on the right) is recognized as the numero uno whitetail Measurer in North America.

07-Jan-20

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
How do you score it? Like this :)

07-Jan-20
Looks like something from the other side of a fence. Pretty cool looking.

07-Jan-20
I have to agree - one ugly deer!

07-Jan-20
If I remember correctly back in the 70-80`s Kansas was churning out some big non-typicals. I think maybe the Fowler buck was one....anyone remember this deer.

07-Jan-20
Great buck, cool character, and congrats to hunter,,, but wouldn't that rack be considered unscoreable by B&C???? I know they wouldn't accept some cactus type buck racks...

07-Jan-20
That is truly a unique deer. Unbelievable. Never seen anything like that.

07-Jan-20
Almost looks like it would need scored by water displacement or wt. Imagine if it's other side matched! That would be cool as hell!

07-Jan-20
Unless I'm mistaken, a cactus buck usually has some sort of damage/ problem with their testicles that results in screwed up testosterone levels, remaining in velvet, and continued growth. It looks like this buck grew this in one season because it shed it's velvet and the right side is normal, so I don't think it would be a cactus buck. Could be a damaged pedicle. Either way ....dangit it's ugly.

07-Jan-20
I was told the buck was seen last year and was not very big. I never would have guessed he'd score that much. Odd thing is, I had one on my place 2 years ago that looked like he was going to turn into something similar.

07-Jan-20
Crazy that the scorers could figure out a main beam and G2-G3 on that side. Crazy deer!

07-Jan-20
So your a typical 8pt looking for a fight, I don't think I would want any part of this!

08-Jan-20
Score should hold pretty close. As mentioned, one of the scorers is possibly the best at whitetails. The head of B & C scoring helped rule that it could indeed be scored accurately after inspecting the rack. Scorer on the left has been a friend for 30 years. He takes it seriously and wouldn't do it any other way than completely correct.

Would be something if both sides matched. The world's first 400" buck.

08-Jan-20
Nick, based on your pic it looks like they qualified the one point with green tape as a main beam? Pretty cool how they ended up scoring that. Talented measurers for sure!

08-Jan-20
That would be a great set of horns to use for rattling!

08-Jan-20
Tumble weed buck

08-Jan-20
DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I usually love big non-typicals, but that mass of antler almost looks like a tumor or something! I'd still shoot it, but probably not mount it.

08-Jan-20
Franklin,

The Fowler buck scored 257". I was the one that initially measured it. It became the new state record and the #2 in the world at the time (behind the Del Austin NE buck at 279).

KS state record prior to that was Cliff Pickell buck shot in 1968. I have held that rack as well. I feel quite fortunate to have been around such awesome bucks!

08-Jan-20
That thing is a mess

08-Jan-20

crestedbutte's embedded Photo

08-Jan-20
Ironbow…..now those were "non-typicals". This thing is just a genetic mutation.

08-Jan-20
Just.......wow......I can't even.

08-Jan-20
Anybody that says he wouldn’t kill that deer........well, I wouldn’t buy a used car from him.

08-Jan-20
LOL.... just saw this headline in some website..... I don't believe I can give the web address, but here is the headline:

Hunter 'in complete shock' after killing buck with 67 points on its antlers, setting record for longest whitetail deer rack ever caught in Kansas and potentially fourth largest in the world

08-Jan-20
One crazy deer, for sure. Wonder if they have any previous year’s trailcam pics or sheds of this buck?

08-Jan-20
It’s sure is unique! Congrats to the hunter. I wouldn’t think twice about shooting it.

I wonder if there’s any way to Explain the abnormality? The right beam is nothing special, maybe a 120” buck.

Does PY or BC have any standards for deer that are so freakish they can’t be entered?

09-Jan-20
What a waste of antler growth. He could have allocated those inches much better

09-Jan-20
Bet he had a limp.

09-Jan-20
BuzAL......I heard they nicknamed him “Ilene”

09-Jan-20
I've been wondering the same thing BuzAl. It's well known that a skeletal injury can produce abnormal antler growth on the other side. I wonder if they had a history with this deer, trailcam pics from previous years? What's strange to me is how lop sided he is. I wonder if the typical side lost mass to contribute to the non-typical side. I wonder if it's genetic, skeletal injury, or pedicle damage.

I guess no matter how it happened, it's still an awesome animal!

09-Jan-20
Most likely not a genetically ancestral wild deer. Not that he wasn't born and raised in the wild by a wild deer who was out of a wild buck deer. Been alot of "get outs" & "turned looses" in that part of the country so long killing a buck like that has to be distasteful in one sense.

09-Jan-20
"Most likely not a genetically ancestral wild deer. Not that he wasn't born and raised in the wild by a wild deer who was out of a wild buck deer. Been alot of "get outs" & "turned looses" in that part of the country so long killing a buck like that has to be distasteful in one sense." Killing KS deer is distasteful? Not sure I follow.

09-Jan-20
BuzAL - "Bet he had a limp."

I will not take that bet...8^)

Either front left leg or right rear leg limp...

09-Jan-20
Its a wonder he could do more than walk in circles!

09-Jan-20
Pop-R...what the heck are you talking about? How much do you know about “that part of the country?” I lived within 30 miles of there for 25 years.

09-Jan-20
"...wasn’t until the buck’s rack was measured by Boone and Crockett Club certified measurers on Friday, Jan. 3 that Butcher confirmed just how special the deer was." Lol!! It took someone to. score it to rrealize he had a 'Special Deer'??? Seriously? Who writes this crap? There is no other like it on the face of the earth, of course it's special. And I agree with Brodsky, there is only one way to accurately score this set of antlers, and I'm keeping it a secret until I get it approved... ;^] lol! Congrats to the hunter who 'harvested' it. Fortunate to have killed that buck for his wall and freezer.

09-Jan-20
Writer....everyone knows the deer farmers raise huge bucks and turn them out all over Kansas. That's why we have monster bucks behind every tree. Those pen raised bucks are a dime a dozen anyway.....

09-Jan-20
Sorry, Aaron. I forgot. And not only every tree, but most telephone poles and oil tanks hide a 160 or better, too!

09-Jan-20
Pop-r you have no idea what you are talking about. There have been no deer released or pen raised in this "part of the country". I know because I live 15 minutes from where it was shot and I hunt within a few miles as well.

11-Jan-20
Not saying i wouldnt kill him but honestly he doesnt trill me at all.

• Sitka Gear