Grey Ghost 18-Jan-20
WV Mountaineer 18-Jan-20
Russ Koon 18-Jan-20
Russ Koon 18-Jan-20
08-Jan-20

Habitat for Wildlife's Link

08-Jan-20

elk yinzer's Link
I'm all for it. Might as well bring back regulated market meat hunting to assist in suburban population control. We already have a vibrant market hunting establishment for trophies. Seems the going rate at this joint is about $50/pound. I would think capitalism can beat that price. I know which I side with if I had to deem one or the other morally superior. Just a couple quick tweaks to the Lacey Act and we're good to go.

08-Jan-20
Talk about food for thought...

08-Jan-20
I hunt 5 to 8 whitetail states each year and I don’t see a surplus in wild deer. Perhaps in the late 90’s but not now.

When a hunter has a surplus the many state run food banks supply meals to the needy via processing shops. I wouldn’t want to see that go away. C

08-Jan-20
No way

Its crap like this that would end your right to harvest deer with bow or gun.

How easy we forget that whiteail deer were hunted by subsistance 40 acres and a mule settlers in South, south east, midwest that they were near non exsistant!

Liberals would love this answer! “We know more than you hunters. We harvest sell meat. Youll need all the peoper Gvt forms, vetting, certificates to hunt”

Sound familiar? Go to Germany or Aus to hunt!

How fast do folks forget and fall into the Far Left Agenda.

Wake up.

You wont take my word for it until the NRA or B&C condemn this nutty idea.

Damn.

K

08-Jan-20
Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it. Terrible idea! And for the guys arguing population control really? If that were the case you'd have farmers and landowners knocking on our door not hunters knocking on their door and being told no or quoted a lease price.

08-Jan-20
Hunting is already too commercialized, why make it more so?

Matt

08-Jan-20
Have to be a lot of state regulations changed,,, it's illegal to sell wild venison in most states...

08-Jan-20
Holy Chit

GG gets one correct.

Group think is for Pussies too.

K

08-Jan-20
No

08-Jan-20
I'll be the unpopular one here. . . . I don't know that I have a problem with it. I do not think that the conditions are similar to the old market hunting days that decimated game populations. I do not think that would happen again.

My wife and I vacationed in Scotland and Ireland in October. Multiple restaurants had wild-killed stag, duck, pigeon, on their menus. Yet their game populations were thriving.

I don't claim to be an RSA expert after only one trip, but the game killed on my short hunt in 2016 was all sold. Again, thriving populations on the ranches where the game was protected.

I don't know that it's an answer, but I don't know that I'm opposed to it either.

08-Jan-20
If you think trespassing is a problem for landowners now just wait until trespassers are motivated by money. This is a terrible idea!

08-Jan-20
Bake - that works because the landowners own the animals like livestock.

If you only hunt high-fence operations, it won’t affect you if the US completely abandons the North American Model.

The problem with deer in the US is two-fold:

1) Suburban landowner’s who wont allow hunting on private property.

2) Hunters who demand unsustainable deer densities on Public lands.

08-Jan-20
I don't like the idea of selling game meat. I do like the idea of giving meat to those who appreciate it. I really like to give it to non hunting folks who allow hunting on their property. Giving it to feed hungry neighbors is a very noble cause as well.

08-Jan-20
I'm out on the sale of wild game meat. That's a good way to bring out the worst in people.

08-Jan-20
I don't see how it would open up poaching, nor how it would close down legal hunters.

You don't have to regulate the hunters, you regulate the meat buyers. Just like the taxidermists and meat processors are regulated. Here in Missouri, the processors and taxidermists must get the license information, and the Conservation agents check them. Regularly.

So you regulate the buyers, and the sellers must provide license information. . . .Simple. No extra burdens on the hunters.

Just like selling fur to a buyer. . .

Just my thoughts.

08-Jan-20
Bake, there are numerous conflicts between commercial fishermen and sport fishermen in saltwater areas. Some have turned deadly.

If you've got weapons in the hands of sport hunters and commercial hunters it could only get worse. Commercial hunters making money by shooting deer would absolutely bring out the worst in people.

08-Jan-20
Heck no. Our rights based harvesters can already kill all the want for themselves now you let them sell it? Heck no heck no heck no no no no no no

08-Jan-20
Yeah, I see we are United on this one. Damn, first time 99%

K

08-Jan-20
Bad idea. While there are places that have way too many deer, all of them I know about in my little corner of the world are in suburbia. If you really want to add to a problem, just get money mixed in with it.

08-Jan-20
Yeah we're all in agreement that there's no money in hunting? Okie dokie, I guess the blinders are on. The only difference between an outfitter and a market hunter is which part of the animal they are marketing and to whom.

08-Jan-20
I've seen how some hunters handle their kills/meat. I'll pass on the buying/selling of wild game idea.

Matt

08-Jan-20
Selling will open up to more poaching .. YUP!!!

08-Jan-20
Yinzer, apples and oranges. Outfitters sell a service, and in some cases access, not the meat. The closest you can come to that is high fenced hunts, and on small places that’s next to grocery shopping. We all know how we hate that, now don’t we ? ;-)

08-Jan-20
I say no to selling deer. I sometimes kill one for non hunting friends but they pay the butcher. Also donate some to feed the hungry. A church, near where I live, give deer meat away to hungry people. The donated deer are all processed as burger.

13-Jan-20

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
MO
MO
KS
KS
I generally support market solutions, but a little hesitant on this one. Like Bake mentioned, I have a friend who spent a lot of time in Europe where wild game is commonly served in restaurants. He wishes he could order it here, though he is not a hunter himself.

I do agree that the deer herd has generally exploded and has caused and continues to cause major challenges like re-shaping our forest tree content for decades to come and also helping to spread some diseases borne by ticks etc. Given the changing demographics, relying on hunters to control the herd seems unrealistic just 10 years down the road. Could serving wild game help solidify the general non-hunting public's view of hunting? Would they be less likely maybe to support wolf re-introductions for example?

I was giving this some thought after reflecting on our move to KS in 1983, a time when there was still limited quota draw for firearms permits. Today it is much different, here are a couple of pictures of food sources, one in KS and one in MO, and the response by deer is something that would not have been expected in 1983. I like to hunt just as much as anybody, but I do agree that in many parts of our country the herd has exploded to the point of being detrimental on several fronts. I am a hunter and a conservationist as well, so I am concerned. And no, I don't drive a Subaru;-)

13-Jan-20
Here in Maryland you can get crop damage permits. A lot of them can be used after the regular season closes. I have a friend that gets permits and doesn't have any problems filling them.

13-Jan-20
I am shooting deer now in a bow-only area on landowner permits. Here in NY they can only be used when season is closed. I have no problem giving the venison away but to be honest if I could sell it I mind as well. Just like Vermont if on a limited basis I doubt it would hurt hunting. Hell the way hunter numbers are droppong it may recruit hunters. They get a taste for deer meat and say heck why pay for it when I can go out and get my own!! Little do they realize how much they will pay in clothes, gear and guns and bows!! Shawn

13-Jan-20

Habitat for Wildlife's Link
Australian kangaroos anyone?

14-Jan-20
No. And a big one at that. Human nature never nor ever will change. And, history has repeated itself many times since we started roaming this earth. It would repeat again concerning over shooting a resource if there was money to be made at it.

You make it legal, you can kiss the game good bye. They’ll be people specializing in killing and selling it. No matter the laws. Before long, there won’t be much game left. Period. No one or any law enforcement would stop it. It would be the end of our way of life.

14-Jan-20
Habitat.

Like your post and agree with deer un close proximity can spead disease.

Wondering how that feeder contributes to that. I see all kind non hunters feeding the poor deer!

These folks end up feeding varmits and they when way outta wack as to carrying capacity you get all kind nasty disease.

You’ll never hunters say “ we got to many deer” but in some places there are.

Had that issue on my place 6-8yrs ago. You could see browse line on dogwoods. Very hard to keep up even with a small whitetail herd. Just imagine what its like managing a big high fence operation in Texas! You never see it but they really must take out tons of Doe.

First time i was on Andeson Island in WA I was amazed how blacktail were roving everywhere. You could look thru forest and there was no green in arms reach. Deer were small. Home all have electric fencing to keep any green, green!

You six deer and i bet four are doe eating corn in yer photo which means thats six more deer next fall with mortality included.

When i started seeing 20 deer beds in fresh snow i knew i had a deer problem. Lucky, I knew how to fix that.

K~

14-Jan-20
"It would be the end of our way of life"

Are you kidding me? How dramatic Sounds like an earth firster, animal rights liberal ,wolfer.

There is so much venison available on the open market for sale right now that is silly. It's not whitetail In the days gone way gone it was whitetail. These days it's Park Deer (Fallow) and Red Deer. Antelope is blackbuck

Any restaurant that wants to buy venison there is a ton of it on the open market for sale

What a none hot button.

15-Jan-20
Nope, no, nadda, nyet, dishday du kno moh

"How easy we forget that whitetail deer were hunted by subsistance 40 acres and a mule settlers in South, south east, midwest that they were near non exsistant! "

It against the Lacey act and pretty much every conservation effort since then.

Too many other resources are affected by money and greed. Wild game and fish should never be one of them.

15-Jan-20
They ate them everywhere. Coastal areas folks had options. Places like iowa, Mo, ohio, IN were void of deer for most part.

These warm east and southeast last few winters really help in deer and keep mortality low and high birth rates.

Maybe a better option is. If you certain amount of own land in high deer areas one must have plan to keep herd in balance or let it be managed by hunters.

K

15-Jan-20
Prob the dumbest idea that I have heard of.

15-Jan-20
"Are you kidding me? How dramatic Sounds like an earth firster, animal rights liberal ,wolfer.

There is so much venison available on the open market for sale right now that is silly. It's not whitetail In the days gone way gone it was whitetail. These days it's Park Deer (Fallow) and Red Deer. Antelope is blackbuck

Any restaurant that wants to buy venison there is a ton of it on the open market for sale

What a none hot button."

Let me explain things a little more clear. While there may be tons of venison on the market from farmed animals, there isn't for wild venison. And, in case you forgot, farmed animals are not wild venison. I doubt that is foreign to you but, you must have forgotten it. Organic in the grocery store costs you 50-100% more in any commodity. People like the idea of clean, hormone free, wild grazing meat. Not farmed venison.

Which leads into another point that a vast majority of this country would spend $500 for a rifle and ammo versus $500,000 on a farm and equipment, in order to start making money by selling "venison". It isn't rocket science and surely doesn't require a genius to acknowledge that if law allowed it, the demand that would come for WILD venison would see it shot at opportunity instead of within season dates. Maybe you forgot what happen to the american bison when people were allowed to shoot them for market?

I admit, I could have said all this in a better way. But, any guy that derived your earth first impression from my declaration that market hunting would ruin sport hunting, had to be doing it from a position looking for it.

16-Jan-20
Hmmm.... seems to be several people who think that potential for a person to become an illegal poacher would be seriously enhanced by providing a legal market for the product of their illegal activity.

Sounds similar to "logic" behind gun-free zones. They really don't discourage those who would like to shoot a bunch of people from stealing a gun and doing so, and in fact they encourage it by assuring them of no armed intervention at the scene.

I remember when I was a kid (about 60 years ago) on the farm about twenty miles from here, and at a time when we had only had legal deer hunting a few years, a person who wanted some venison could leave word with a bartender at the tavern six mile down the road from here, and pick up their wrapped meat a few days later.

Reality sometimes bears little resemblance to legality. If you disagree, try driving the speed limit on the 4-whatever loop around your nearest city during any daytime or early evening hours.

18-Jan-20
https://brokenarrowranch.com/

18-Jan-20
Ok so this is a hypothetical question (sort of) if a person were to go on someone's land kill a deer for the land owners the landowners check in the deer as a landowner killed deer then you skin quarter & debone all the meat the landowners keep their meat & pay the hunter for his time - services. Is that selling deer ???

18-Jan-20
I don't believe it's legal to fill another person's tag (where I live anyway). So if you were to clean and process a deer for someone wouldn't that just make you a good friend, or a processor? I wouldn't think doing that service is considered selling meat even if they paid you, because the meat was never yours. Our state does allow gifting of meat but all your information must accompany the meat. Hell, it's not even legal to be with a tagged animal in the field without the tag holder being present.

18-Jan-20
Sorry, I really got sidetracked with what I intended to say. No, I don't think killing and processing someone else's deer for them would be selling meat.

18-Jan-20
"Ok so this is a hypothetical question (sort of) if a person were to go on someone's land kill a deer for the land owners the landowners check in the deer as a landowner killed deer then you skin quarter & debone all the meat the landowners keep their meat & pay the hunter for his time - services. Is that selling deer ???"

I think that would considered poaching in most states, unless they allow transferable landowner tags. Usually the person doing the killing needs to be the person whose name is on the tag.

Matt

18-Jan-20
Hey Russ, as that ole tradition of ordering your venison died, herd numbers increased. Pretty remarkable phenomenon.....

18-Jan-20

18-Jan-20
WV, Yeah, funny how that works. 8^)

It wasn't quite that simple here, as I recall, though. The early populace had pretty much extirpated the deer population before the state reintroduced them here in the early 1930's. There were scattered herds in various spots as they spread over the next couple of decades before the state brought back a deer season in the 50's. Didn't take local poachers in most areas very long to take advantage of the situation, and the deer ordering had been going on for a good while before the herds were back up to the numbers for becoming legal game, and they continued growing long after that until the state made several changes to increase the antlerless harvest in the last fifteen years or so.

So, the poachers no doubt slowed the recovery somewhat, but they didn't keep up with nature and lots of corn and beans, and bucks-only seasons.

• Sitka Gear