SD BuckBuster 28-Jan-20
TrapperKayak 28-Jan-20
molsonarcher 29-Jan-20
Striker@home 29-Jan-20
kylet 31-Jan-20
10-Jan-20

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Thought I'd start another antlter shed thread... Have taken notes through the years and the earliest had heard of was early December and latest was mid-April...

Seen this guy the evening after on the 7th, and he had dropped the other side... He was identifiable by a front left leg limp...

10-Jan-20
The light wasn't the best, but I could swear I saw a fairly mature buck with both sides shed on January 6th. I hope to contribute to this thread this year, with my daughter's new dog. . . . we shall see

11-Jan-20

Huntiam 's embedded Photo
Southwest Virginia
Huntiam 's embedded Photo
Southwest Virginia

11-Jan-20

Jethro's embedded Photo
Jethro's embedded Photo
Found this set 12/28. Had a friend shoot a doe that turned out to be a buck that had shed both on 12/2. Northeast PA.

13-Jan-20
ttt

13-Jan-20
Seems early, most BT in WA and OR dont drop until Feb or Mar even.

14-Jan-20
X2 feb or Mar. in Oregon

21-Jan-20
ttt

21-Jan-20
Saw a one sider today!

21-Jan-20
Pulled a few tree stands over the weekend. Stumbled on one shed but it was from last year. Usually are still packing until mid march in my neck of the woods.

21-Jan-20
My first "one sided" pics showed up today in ND. (and one pic with both sides off) Several smaller bucks with one side, but the big boys still have both as of today.

21-Jan-20
IT all depends on the area and quite frankly I am convinced that it has everything to do with 1. Genetics and then 2. food source. Genetics being in the lead by a long shot. I've had bucks drop all over in Jan and Feb and then 20 miles down the road in the same conditions and food they don't drop until end of feb and into March. Keep an eye on your spots and make your own call.

21-Jan-20
Me and the dog covered at least 5-6 miles yesterday. Never found a horn. Did see 6 different bucks though, all still carrying both sides

21-Jan-20

I totally agree SD BuckBuster... A non wounded heathy buck, genetics one, nutrition two....

21-Jan-20
I’ve tried to figure out why they drop when they do but haven’t found anything consistent except I’ve had a few mature bucks over the years that drop about the same week every year. Other than that with all of the different conditions I have found absolutely no correlation to why they drop when they do and I average around 50 per year

21-Jan-20
If you thing about it, that's why its so different in different areas even within the same county or region, likely due to they're genetically linked... Maybe some shed in December/January in the northern part of a county while some may shed in February/March even April in the same county with the same agriculture... The timing of the ones that shed around the same time are likely genetically linked... Can talk about lack of testosterone, but I'll bet money if a buck sheds his antlers and in two days later a doe comes into estrus, she's gonna get bred...

21-Jan-20

ESP's embedded Photo
I found this while heading to my tree stand Friday night
ESP's embedded Photo
I found this while heading to my tree stand Friday night

21-Jan-20
This buck shed the earliest I've ever seen for this area. Had lots of trail pics of him this past year, which show he shed both sides between 5pm on 12/6 and 9am on 12/7. Here he's still carrying both sides in the first pic and then both sides are gone on 12/7. He looks thinner in the second pic, but it's because he started walking around with his back kind of hunched up after he shed, kinda comical. He had extra-heavy staining on both rear hocks, so I'd say he rutted hard. Too early to hammer bedding areas to hunt for his sheds just yet. Every other buck on this farm is still packing both sides.

21-Jan-20
sticksender - Thanks for sharing, I think you take 2nd place...8^) I take it, yours was in IN?

Been kinda keeping track and pix of earliest and latest shedding through the years and a guy over on the LeatherWall posted pix of a shed buck on December 1, 2013. Said he had 3 or 4 bucks shed by December 18, 2013...

The earliest I've personally seen was December 19th, and the latest I've heard of was first week of May, although the latest I've personally seen was April 21, when buck was still fully crowned with both sides chasing a doe like it was November...8^)

Peak shedding period around here is mid-February through mid-March... "Beware the Ides of March"...8^)

23-Jan-20
I walked an absurd amount right at the end of Dec. looking for a large set of sheds which I knew hit the ground sometime between dec 1st and 15th. From a deer that is likely 6.5yrs old. He had an abscess on his neck which was nearly football sized in mid dec., but has since receded to the point it is hardly noticeable, and he appears to be in much better shape. I'm probably as relieved as he is!

Before anyone criticizes me for pressuring or bumping deer around, yes I know the stress it can cause, but our winter was really mild around the start of the new year (no snow, mild temps). The deer also show zero sign of lasting disturbance in the areas I've walked, often returning at dark, and resuming their normal routines within a day as proven by my cameras. I haven't been back out in 3 weeks.

Now to my point. I found 5 fresh sheds in december between 12/24-12/31, none of which were the set i was looking for. All from probably 1.5-2.5yr olds. Most deer I glass on a regular basis and most on camera are holding as we would expect. Interestingly though, almost all of the oldest/ largest deer I am monitoring are the ones who have shed at least 1 or both sides. Maybe they rutted harder?

23-Jan-20
Guess I better get out there before the squirrels get on em. NY bucks dropping by now. Snow covering most of them though.

28-Jan-20

ND String Puller's embedded Photo
ND String Puller's embedded Photo
I bet this guy can’t hardly wait to shed! Talk about a stink, natural nose jammer! (Seen the pic on FB figured I’d share it). Beautiful buck though damn!

28-Jan-20
Wow never seen that pic before. Appears some dude with a chainsaw just took it to the neck!

28-Jan-20
Maybe if both antlers on that live buck shed at the same time, they'll stay locked... would make a great euro mount.... :^/ LOL! (Yes I'm bored)

29-Jan-20

molsonarcher's embedded Photo
molsonarcher's embedded Photo
Just had 6 walk thru the backyard. All antlers still intact.

29-Jan-20

Striker@home's embedded Photo
Striker@home's embedded Photo
Found 8 small ones this weekend.

31-Jan-20

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
Found one at work the other day

• Sitka Gear