Shawn 13-Jan-20
Trial153 13-Jan-20
Scooby-doo 13-Jan-20
Zim 13-Jan-20
Scooby-doo 13-Jan-20
Zim 13-Jan-20
Shawn 31-Jan-20
13-Jan-20
If you had 4 points which of those 3 units would you choose? I have scouted in 3 a bit and know several NR guys who have hunted it. I was just wondering if 4 or 5 is that much better. 4 pts most likely gets me in 4 but 5 I may need more and I really am planning on going this fall. Hopefully hunt Nebraska and maybe Kansas as I have from Oct. 15th to Thanksgiving to hunt. Thanks!! Shawn

13-Jan-20
going public?

13-Jan-20
5 got wacked hard with EHD, definitely a consideration for the next few years

13-Jan-20
I hunted zone 4 this year. They had some ehd kill as well, but I saw lots of good bucks. I rattled in 18 bucks in 3 days. I think if you can find access, that should be the key to your decision. If you are hunting public I think that you will need to go to the zone with the most/best public.

13-Jan-20
I hunted Zone 4, on 4 private property I hunted number deer is down a lot by over hunt by shotgun and EHD. One property number of deer is not too bad.

13-Jan-20

13-Jan-20
Sorry public, but also knocking on doors. I have had great luck in Kansas and Nebraska knocking on doors so hoping Iowa will be good. I was worried about 5 cause of EHD and maybe not drawing with 4 points. The only other thing is 3 borders Nebraska cause I don't know if I will draw Kansas and may just buy a point. Anymore info on 3 and 4 would be appreciated. Shawn

13-Jan-20
I hunted 5 last nov, killed a good buck. EHD was hitting pretty hard, however i already secured the farm and tag. Personally i would give 5 a break for few years and hope for a rebound. I cant speak for any other zones though

13-Jan-20
5 does not havea ton of public as far as I can see but dont need a lot if it the right spot. I just hate to waste 4 pts on 3 as 1 will draw most times. Was 3 hit with EHD? Shawn

13-Jan-20
Only took me 20 years but after scouting/hunting dang near every public parcel in 5 located a slammer spot. Had quite a few good to very good ones previously. I think all those units you mention are good but it comes down to where you have scouted the most. I’m pumped just had the whole state of Iowa added to my work area so I’ll get 3-4 weeks travel expenses covered every year for scouting. Will be scouting the lesser demand zones for a sleeper property instead of waiting five years. Sitting on 2 points now. Will also be loading up on Illinois public armed with a LL, the whole state in my work area as well, and now a boat. But moved to Indiana to escape the ridiculous taxes. The public is horrendous here.

13-Jan-20
Zim, that is my concern. 3 can be had with 1 point fairly easily 2 for sure. I live in NY so a scouting trip is not rteally feasible but I have 30 days to hunt so I am sure I can get on deer. I am looking to shoot big deer not the first 130"er that walks by. Don't get me wrong 130" deer is a great deer and here in NY I would shoot everyone I saw. I have hunted public in Indiana and have done quite well, that was 10 years ago but it still can be good. I just want a good hunt and will be finding fresh sign and setting up immediately and hunting. Shawn

13-Jan-20
Shawn, Hehe at 10 years ago you just caught the tail end of the real Indiana bow season. Crossguns came in just after that and flooded the public with early season gun hunters wanting in on the rut. And their numbers are still increasing. This was the first year over 50% of the kills came by crossgun. I just moved back here from Illinois in March and it’s now just another Michigan or Tennessee. I devoted my whole 2019 season here and it will definitely be my last.

I saw tons of 130’s in Iowa but never got into the studs consistently until I scouted a pile of February’s. I was actually going to scout zone 3 a few weeks ago while there on business but the temps hit zero. One problem I saw there from aerial scouting was I thought the limited public was too vulnerable to the party shotgun hunting which lowers the overall quality in the long run. I focus on places not friendly to that crowd.

31-Jan-20
Zim, limited public? There is more public land there in 3 than most areas of the state. Loess Hills is something like 3500 acres alone. Walk in is limited somewhat but lots to hunt along the river dividing Iowa and Nebraska as well! Shawn

• Sitka Gear