TD 21-Jan-20
pav 21-Jan-20
Stick & String 22-Jan-20
Huntcell 22-Jan-20
13-Jan-20

Stick & String's embedded Photo

Stick & String's Link
I have a southern Utah lion outfitter who is offering a 5 day hunt for $4500. In addition, he is offering a 1/2 price return hunt if you are unsuccessful on your first hunt. But last year he had 100% success. Licenses are available over the counter and he still has openings for this winter. Please contact me if interested. Matt

13-Jan-20

13-Jan-20
I did this hunt with Matt's outfitter many years ago when it was a $2500 mountain lion hunt. The outfitter did everything he could to get us on a lion. We succeeded on the last day of the hunt. With only a few hours of light left we released the hounds. Tree'd and shot with a few minutes of legal light left.

They hunt some beautiful country. If you're looking for a good, reasonably priced hunt this one's good.

13-Jan-20
that is a good deal

13-Jan-20
I did same hunt with same outfitter. I was lucky. Tagged out on great tom second day that made P&Y.

I would recommend. Just be in shape as when I went there was no ATV, snowmobiles etc. You. You cut track you got out and chased the dogs. Not sure if that is still the case, but as tough as it was when I look back it was great experience

13-Jan-20
photos and comments removed. Outfitter I hunted with is no longer represented by this agent.

14-Jan-20
The country they hunt is amazing! It's basically south of Moab and east of Canyonlands. Utah National Park type terrain and absolutely beautiful and from a locals perspective and access.

We put on hundreds of miles in the truck trying to cut a track in bad conditions but finally did on the last afternoon of the last day. Leroy spotted the track doing 40 miles an hour down a paved road on the last afternoon of the hunt and locked em up.

They NEVER stop looking. Even though my hunt did not include a 2nd guide they are true houndsmen and had at least 1-2 extra guys covering ground looking for that track in the wee hours of the am. I really appreciated that.

I will do another hunt with Leroy some day. He never gave up. This is a great deal on an amazing hunt. If you are unfortunate and need to come back for the return hunt you will have still spent less than any other hunt.

Great hunt, great dogs, beautiful country, great guys, great price.

14-Jan-20
With all the snow we are getting here, it should be a slamdunk hunt!

Go for it...…..

Good luck, Robb

14-Jan-20
For this year or next? Or both?

14-Jan-20
I was fortunate and got to go back a second time. I say this because of how much I enjoyed the hunt and LeRoy and Randi. And yes, you need to be in shape!

14-Jan-20
If you go on a hunt you better figure out what the cost of a full body mount is and take that into consideration because there’s nothing more badass than a full body lion mount!

14-Jan-20

Stick & String's Link
Thanks for the kind words on the hunt guys. Mountainman, you could either go this year or next. We will honor the price for either. For this year I believe the season ends March 31. I could double check for you though if you want.

14-Jan-20
Yes be in shape. First day we chased a female all day. I figured I would only do this hunt once and had no issues shooting a female. Next day cut the track and chased my tom all day. I dont know if I could have done that 5 days in a row. There is no way to train for elevation. At least that i have found.

14-Jan-20
At the asking price this hunt does not include sleeping and food arrangements at any star level. For that money plus $1000 you can book a moose hunt in Canada and come home with meat and trophy. The value is just not there. No thanks. Next.

15-Jan-20
BUT.....it’s way cheaper than a Stone sheep hunt.

So there’s that, I guess.

15-Jan-20

15-Jan-20
But you still have to get the moose meat home too which isn't going to be cheap by any means either driving or flying.

15-Jan-20
"At the asking price this hunt does not include sleeping and food arrangements at any star level"

On stick and stings site it says the hunt includes food and lodging.

Matt, which is it?

15-Jan-20
" Message From: Stick & String:

SixLomaz, the price does not include food and lodging but there are inexpensive motels and dining near by. I will need to double check on airport pickup and get back with you. Where do you live? Can I get your email address too? Thanks Matt

SixLomaz: Does it include boarding and meals? How about airport transportation, to and from?"

Last time I did Canada moose in 2017 I paid $4300 plus $1000 including animal tag, lodging, food, transportation and tipping the guide ($500 + a well built knife, pair of boots, and rain gear - all new), for about 300 lbs of raw meat plus the bones extra. I just booked in October 2020 another moose hunt for $5400 in an archery only area including a "stumble upon" black bear tag. I expect my incidental expenses to be around the same amount. I butcher and package the meat myself as I am picky in handling and cutting. Driving with the meat in October is not an issue with a generator and a freezer in the truck. Never had lion but I hear is good to eat. Probably tender whitish meat. Moose meat is excellent.

To those who book this hunt have fun. It would have been nice if the outfitter provided the logistics details upfront.

15-Jan-20
I wonder if the tag price is included in the $4500 asking price. From outfitter website:

"We hunt cats in several different units. Please, give us a call and we'll give you more details on buying quota tags over-the-counter or applying for limited entry tags. The hunt price is very affordable. Hunts are 5 days and include food, lodging, packing out of animals, scouting, and a 1x1 ratio of hunter to guide. Hunts are generally conducted between December and March."

A quick search reveals at https://www.gohunt.com/ut-southern-utah-mountain-lion-hunt-fully-outfitted a $4000 price for mountain lion hunt in southern Utah everything included. On June 2019 they had 10 tags available. The page shows the same first picture in this thread of a man holding a dead lion. I wonder if Matt is adding $500 to Google some info.

"Wild West Outfitters is offering a 5 day fully outfitted Mountain Lion hunt in Southern Utah. This all inclusive trip includes Food, Lodging , and Transportation during your hunt. Wild West Outfitters has a great track record of harvesting big cats with the use of outstanding dogs in the state of Utah. Hunters need to be applied with the state of Utah no later than October 5th. Please call and let us help you with the drawing process."

"State: Utah

Units: Utah Mule Deer General Unit 30, Utah Mule Deer General Unit 29, Utah Mule Deer General Unit 28, Utah Mule Deer General Unit 24 "

15-Jan-20

Stick & String's Link
Guys, my apologies. The hunt DOES include food and lodging. SixLomaz, that is who I book for.

16-Jan-20
Man you guys are tough on someone trying to sell a hunt....

16-Jan-20
And none of them are potential buyers so it makes it even more funny

16-Jan-20
Why would you want to go to Canada to hunt moose when you're looking for a lion hunt?

Personally, I did the $5,000 Alberta moose hunt. Never again! Complete waste of time and money.

16-Jan-20
Quinn you went in the wrong area my friend. Go East coast. They grow antlers there too. I was going to buy the hunt but given the amount of negative outfitter reports floating around lately I believe it is better to be cautious rather than taken for cleaners. Assuming I can find a local person with few dogs I can use my truck / snowmobile to patrol the areas for few weeks and chase some cats as the tags are available OTC. This can be a DIY hunt just as the 2017 OTC CO elk when I paid $2800 for 3 weeks of solo hunting instead $6000+ for one week guided.

16-Jan-20
"And none of them are potential buyers so it makes it even more funny"

And you would know this how, Bou?

16-Jan-20
Because a seriously interested buyer would pick up the phone and speak directly to the source of the hunt and get facts and details before making a decision to book. Others just want to find fault with what is wrong about the deal and why it can’t be legit.

16-Jan-20
A serious buyer does serious research before picking up the phone to make a commitment. When the information provided does not match with another source is best to check and double check. Also, it is best if you bring this public so other can steer away from making a mistake, rather than hiding it in a private phone call. You too are funny mister Bou. Are you a demogrinch?

Probably the hunters coming here with horror outfitter stories should have done research too before handing over the cash. References are worth checking along with available information. Best reference is by word of mouth, now also by written word on the Internet WWW.

16-Jan-20
I had no issues on my hunt. The outfitter did everything they could to get me a cat and the weather conditions were really bad. I got my cat and certainly would of gone back had I not.

Sixlo good luck on your DIY cat hunt.

16-Jan-20
Wild West Outfitters website currently lists the cost of their mountain lion hunt at $4500. The price quoted for 2019 hunts is completely irrelevant. Pretty darn good price comparatively for a guided lion hunt. Looks like multiple Bowsiters recommend this outfitter. Not understanding the negativity of some posts...

17-Jan-20
Prior to my post the listed price was $4,000. The discrepancy in the information provided is what triggered the posts, not the asking price. On the website food and shelter are listed as included in the price of the hunt. I consider a red flag when the agent tells me, responding to a direct PM'ed question, that food and shelter are not included and that I should provide it myself. Simple math where I expect 1+1=2.

Everyone here knows that once you paid for the hunt you really have little to no recourse in case the service is not as promised, even when that is done in writing. I am not talking about getting a wild animal here, but the shelter, food, guide, and other details that make a hunt successful. With proper research this can be done DIY no question, given available info on the Internet, local game warden resources and the OnX maps tool. Time allocated is of essence when you do not know the area. One week DIY is asking to win the lottery, but 2-3 weeks in the ground will result in few cats chased.

17-Jan-20

Stick & String's Link
Gentlemen, I do book for Wild West Outfitters in UT who is a very reputable, knowledgeable, and hard working outfitter. He also guides in some of the lion country in UT. He also offers an excellent price especially when you can come back for half price if unsuccessful on the first hunt. And even though I do book for them, my service is free and I never charge more than what the outfitter charges. So if you are interested in a hunt, I would appreciate you going through me. If you are going with another outfitter, I wish you the best of luck. Matt

17-Jan-20
is Kyle the only lion outfitter you book hunts for in Utah?

you no longer represent Lloyd of Sunrise outfitters???

20-Jan-20
Doug, yes Wild West is the only UT outfitter I book for. Leroy isn't guiding anymore and I never really did book for Lloyd.

20-Jan-20
FTR my recommendation was based off me hunting with Leroy not Wild West. I know Matt represents good outfitters so I wouldn’t hesitate to book an outfitter through Matt.

20-Jan-20
well It was you who I went thru when I hunted with Lloyd. I would have never found out about Lloyd had you not contacted me about hunting lions. You even had my story of my hunt on your website for years. so I don't know what your trying to say here never really did book for Lloyd.

I suppose technically you didn't as he was guiding for his brother at the time, but it was still called Sunrise outfitters.

just the same it would be a good thing to remove my picture of me holding a lion from your website. since I did not hunt lions with the outfitter you currently represent. Needless to say it's very poor business to be posting another outfitters kill pictures for your current outfitter. I never have or ever would hunt lions with Kyle, as I have personal experience with his lack of abilities and ethics. True it's many years ago and hopefully he has gained in experience, knowledge and ethics.

PLEASE REMOVE the PHOTO FROM YOUR WEBSITE. it's the correct thing to do. Thank You. Doug

20-Jan-20

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Huntcell 's embedded Photo
this is the picture I am referring to. also the photo on your website of the lion track in the ground is a photo that I took on my hunt. would be interesting to know if your current outfitter has dogs good enough to track on completely dry ground, no snow anywheres.??? most hound hunters don't have that quality of dogs. if not it would again be misleading to have my photo of a lion with no snow in the landscape and a lion track on bare ground clearly this would be insinuating that your current outfitter can hunt completely snowless terrain. Not his dads dogs if he still is running them, I mean Kyle's dogs.

My kill photo comes up first when accessing your lion link.

when you change who you represent would be a good idea to purge all the info and pics from the previous outfitter first.

having kill photos from other outfitters you no longer represent is just wrong.

21-Jan-20
I just wanted to know if Six killed his lion on his moose hunt????

21-Jan-20
Private Reply function still works....just sayin'

22-Jan-20

Stick & String's Link
Huntcell, I do still book hunts for Lloyd but not Leroy anymore because he is not doing it anymore. It's been awhile since I booked for Lloyd but he is still on my hunt list. By the way Doug, thanks for posting on this thread about the photos instead of contacting me directly. As I mentioned, I still book for Lloyd so I included your photos on my website. Per your requests though, I will remove them once I figure out how to do that on my website.

SixLomax, the price has always been $4500 which is a very good price. I did not inflate it which you presume. I'm also sure you don't care but I am insulted that you presume I changed the price. Also, you seem to think you are a mountain lion hunting expert which I doubt with you being from CT and all. I also don't see any mountain lion photos under your name. Have you ever hunted mountain lions? I've hunted them a ton in CO, used to guide here, and hunted twice in UT.

22-Jan-20
Your welcome!

• Sitka Gear