AZBUGLER 16-Jan-20
RK 16-Jan-20
RK 16-Jan-20
sundowner 20-Jan-20
White Falcon 20-Jan-20
sundowner 22-Jan-20
White Falcon 22-Jan-20
15-Jan-20
Guys, Looking for a bit of info.Trying to plan a jav hunt and could use a bit of help. Does a guy have to go to the bottom end of texas to find a decent population of javalina to hunt? W0uld probably use an outfitter as ive never been to texas.Any outfitter suggestions? Also this might sound odd but does anybody hunt rattle snakes while javie hunting?, or are they protected? Thanks Good Huntn

15-Jan-20
Clarify are you wanting to hunt them only Texass or are you asking if that is only place you will find them? I know a lot of guys hunt them in AZ. From what I hear you can have a good DIY hunt there.

15-Jan-20
I think one of the best populations of javelina in the US would be South Texas. It has been my experience that the higher the populations of a species, the greater the chance of seeing and harvesting a species.

If you have never hunted them, it would be my suggestion to acquire a guide or semi-guide service to at least "put you in the ballpark."

The best javelina guide service (IMHO) is no longer in service. I you cannot get an answer on this website of a South Texas guide service/hunt location, I would try on texasbowhunter.com website. I know you can get much information there on the subject.

Best of luck on your findings.

15-Jan-20
They’re in W Texas too, but I really don’t know about population numbers. I do know there’s a bow only ranch, low fence, just S of Uvalde that has loads of them. Their deer season is either over or almost over, so you might scare up a hunt there. The name of the operation is First Point. Hogs and javelina are in good supply, and some damn healthy rattlers. I killed one there several years ago that was 6.5 feet long and looked like a fence post. Be aware that this is S Texas brush country, thick as hell, plenty of thorns, stickers, etc. , and very few open places. The usual routine is to corn the road, wait for them to come out and then stalk them, so if baiting offends you it might not be your cup of tea.

15-Jan-20
John ii doesnt have to be texas but that sounds like the highest pop spot. I quess what im getting at is i would be driving from iowa and trying to save some miles

15-Jan-20
For pure odds Texas is your best bet. Actually not many reasons to not kill two javelina on a good ranch in south Texas on a two to three day hunt

Look into either south of San Antonio or the trans pecos region of west texas

Best rattlesnake hunting will be south Texas on early to mid MARCH. Legal. Only protected rattlesnake is the eastern diamondbacks and they are in east Texas. You are good to go

Don't know anybody to suggest but someone here will eventually step up with a name

Good luck and have fun

15-Jan-20
All I can say is listen to RK

16-Jan-20
RK, Timber Rattlesnakes are protected in Texas. They are also in East Texas.

16-Jan-20
You may want to check int the Callaghan Ranch out of Encinal TX. Web site is www.callaghanranchltd.net. They have javi's, feral hogs, bobcats, etc. I suggest going as early in the year as you can. It can get hot. The latest I ever hunted them was mid-May and it was really hot then. Rattlesnakes are abundant. I have personally not hunted this ranch but have hunted all around that area. Good luck.

16-Jan-20
Hey Phil. Thanks that's the one I meant. Thanks for the catch for me. Eastern diamondbacks are not protected just timber

16-Jan-20
Callahan is a good one

16-Jan-20
Anyone ever hunted them with Rowdy McBride out of Midland, TX?

16-Jan-20
Is it hard to tell the different types of ratlers apart ?

16-Jan-20
Is it hard to tell the different types of ratlers apart ?

16-Jan-20
Flip. Anyplace you would be hunting javelinas in Texas you do NOT have to worry about identifying rattlesnakes.

Mertyman. My answer to hunting with the Mcbrideswoukd be that they are going to have the country to hunt them on for sure. Transpecos region probably I would not be worriedbookkng with them. They are also Mountain lion hunting gods. They know what they are doing They used to to kill a lot of jaguars in central and South America

16-Jan-20
If I recall the McBride's have free range red sheep and I thought Urial sheep in Texas to that were brought in from Iran in the 60 or 70. Not totally sure on that and would have to fact check that one.

Shockey did a darted hunt for jaguar with them on a tv show. It was pretty wild show

16-Jan-20
Plenty of javelina in AZ in public land. It’s a draw for most areas though (although good odds).

16-Jan-20
BG. EXACTLY right

16-Jan-20
AZ BUGLER. you are exactly right. AZ had some good opportunities. Nothing like Texas which is a slam dunk positive deal

20-Jan-20
Callaghan Ranch is +/- 90,000 acres of pure bowhunting fun. $200 per day gets you air conditioned living quarters, a kitchen to cook your own groceries, and your own private "pasture" (around 8000 to 12,000 acres) where you come and go as you please. A cooler is provided to hang your kills. Unlimited feral hogs and rattlers. Two javelina. Been going almost every year since 1994.

20-Jan-20
sundowner, don't shoot them all before we get there in March! :) :)

22-Jan-20
WF, as you know there are plenty!

22-Jan-20

White Falcon's embedded Photo
White Falcon's embedded Photo
;) ;)

• Sitka Gear