GhostBird 17-Jan-20
Ken Moody Safaris 17-Jan-20
Buffalo1 17-Jan-20
BOBSTER 18-Jan-20
Huntcell 18-Jan-20
JohnMC 18-Jan-20
Spiral Horn 24-Jan-20
16-Jan-20
Our family went to RSA back in 2018, and had a great time. Killed a few animals and were having some of the taxi. work done over there and then the rest to be sent back to the US to have done here. Everything was going to be shipped at the same time after the taxi. work was completed there. During this time, one of our animals was listed on CITES Appendix II list. Has anyone else had a animal listed before and was still able to get it back into the US.

16-Jan-20
Which animal did you have CITES problem with importation?

17-Jan-20
Giraffe, it has been listed on CITES Appendix II. This came into effect on midnight 25 November 2019.

17-Jan-20
We had our giraffe sent just before then. Thank goodness. What is the rationale for listing the giraffe.

17-Jan-20
What is RSA and what is CITES?

17-Jan-20
Republic of South Africa, Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.

17-Jan-20
I think I saw something on TV that South Africa is considering withdrawing from CITES because they keep listing animals that SA doesn't believe should be on the list.

17-Jan-20
It’s all politics with good intentions gone bad. Best of luck figuring it out.

17-Jan-20
I believe giraffes got listed as "endangered".

17-Jan-20

Ken Moody Safaris's embedded Photo
Ken Moody Safaris's embedded Photo
3 of the 9 subspecies are deemed endangered but the one most here know is the southern and it is completely stable. Politics and the usual animal rights push resulted in all giraffe being upgraded to appendix II on CITES. It is ridiculous as giraffe flourish in SA but it is the world we live in now.

17-Jan-20
Very interesting hide patterns. KMS thanks for sharing.

18-Jan-20
Those are some different patterns on those. Thanks KMS. So does anyone have any idea what are chances are for getting the giraffe back then. Anyone else ever deal with something that got listed after the kill.

18-Jan-20
A Giraffe slam who knew.

18-Jan-20
Which 3 are endangered? Which are the ones most are hunting?

24-Jan-20

Spiral Horn's Link
Yes. A CITES, Appendix II animal is still importable. It takes a USFWS Permit which will have to be applied for, and an export permit from the nation where you took the trophy (outfitter/exporter provides this). But do it as early as possible because it usually takes a few months. Most customs brokers like Fauna & Flora, D&L, Coppersmith, etc are well versed in the process. I’ve also applied myself. Attached is a link to the USFWS page covering the topic.

• Sitka Gear