badguybuster 20-Jan-20
Bou'bound 20-Jan-20
Fuzzy 21-Jan-20
Fuzzy 21-Feb-20
Fuzzy 24-Feb-20
19-Jan-20

badguybuster's embedded Photo
badguybuster's embedded Photo
Just finished this one up. Im unsure of the actual stone, it was in a huge batch of stone i ordered off ebay. The handle is hickory from a broken sledge hammer shaft. Glued with pitch, 2 layers of bear sinew and then a couple wraps with synthetic. This one is for show as i did not but much of an edge on it.

19-Jan-20
Neat little project!

19-Jan-20
I've always wondered how much abuse they'd take chopping trees

20-Jan-20

wesleywalker's Link
Do not lose the opportunity to finish your homework on time to spend you time on more interesting things.

20-Jan-20
Very cool project. How many man hours do you have in it?

20-Jan-20
To each his own I suppose. I can't imagine wasting my time on that.

20-Jan-20
Very cool. Nice work.

20-Jan-20
wesley walker and Pop must both be spam,nice work

20-Jan-20
Very nice buster! Did you knap the edge of it as well?

20-Jan-20
About 5 hours and yes, its a knapped edge. Just not as sharp as i normally do.

20-Jan-20
Quality work

21-Jan-20
nice!

21-Feb-20
Thornton, I don't think knapped axes were used much for chopping trees, I'm inclined to think they were more used as weapons, and for disjointing large game carcasses and maybe for chopping small green roots and branches. A knapped edge can be re worked sharp several times and very quickly but it won't stand up to hard blows on hard objects.

LargeTree-felling and hollowing logs was more likely to have been done with "peck-and-polish" axes and when possible after burning the wood surfaces to charcoal (a laborious process I'm sure)

The smelting, shaping, and use of ferrous metals was a world-changing technology for sure.

24-Feb-20
If I can offer some "constructive criticism" thew handle looks a bit beefy in relation to the head. foe the next effort consider trying to find a green yellow locust, or hickory branch close to the size you want, leave the head end full diameter for good "meat" to attach the head to and taper the handle to a bit slimmer profile, notch it out for the head then coat the wood with a thin layer of Elmer's glue and let it dry a few months. Those woods work more easiliy while green and are super tough when dry

• Sitka Gear