GhostBird 21-Jan-20
t-roy 21-Jan-20
Zbone 21-Jan-20
DL 21-Jan-20
DL 21-Jan-20
19-Jan-20

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
There are YouTube videos out there on how to tan fish skins. The picture is of carp skins that have been tanned and dyed.

20-Jan-20
What for?

20-Jan-20
Only use that reminds me of is those warm water holders for when you're sick. My mom used to use that when I was a kid. Haven't seen one in ages. I can't think of a use for that. Walleye skin wallets are big here, but those carp scales are too big.

20-Jan-20
Any pics of those walleye wallets, APauls? I suppose northerns would work as well, but I would probably be dropping those all the time ;-)

20-Jan-20
I'm gonna have to start shooting em in the head...

20-Jan-20
I've seen grass carp and spoons used on selfbow back's.

20-Jan-20
If the scales stay attached well, and the tanned skins are reasonably flexible and durable, I can envision a few uses for them. Wallets, belts, purses, unique accent pieces to clothing, etc...I bet the guys on LW could come up with some other uses.

However, I know from doing taxidermy work that fish skins lose all their natural color when you tan them. Guys who do realistic fish mounts are exceptional air brush artists, because they have to paint the entire mount, and it requires multiple layers of multiple different colors to do it correctly. I think fish are much more difficult to mount than any fur or feather-bearing animal.

Matt

20-Jan-20
Cool looking

Grant... apparently you’ve never seen my wife’s carp skin jacket.

21-Jan-20

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
The scales don’t stay on. They’ve been making boots and most anything else that leather is Made from. Just one style and color. Some have used a vegetable tan on fish to make them usable for boots. I know that skin from salmon that have transitioned into fresh water is super tough.

21-Jan-20
Sturgeon skins look nice tanned. They would make interesting backing, with a row of scutes down the backs.

21-Jan-20
Would make pretty nice G-Strings I suppose.

21-Jan-20
^^It WOULD have a built-in excuse to explain away potential “smellage” issues, Ghostbird ;-)

21-Jan-20
Bou'bound - "What for?"

Yeah, some fish shins (including carp) are used for backing selfbows, and even laminated bows for the looks, similar to snake skins...

21-Jan-20

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo

21-Jan-20

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear