Trial153 20-Jan-20
molsonarcher 20-Jan-20
Brotsky 21-Jan-20
molsonarcher 21-Jan-20
Junior 21-Jan-20
molsonarcher 22-Jan-20
Junior 23-Jan-20
20-Jan-20
Does anyone have experience in this unit? I’m looking at going with an outfitter who hunts a mix of public and private land, and says to expect 270-300” bulls with some bigger. I will not be doing this hunt DIY since this will be my first elk hunt/experience, so I am not looking for honey holes or areas to hunt, but only if the outfitters description of the herd/size of bulls is accurate. Thanks for any input

20-Jan-20
It's accurate, especially if he has private lined up.

20-Jan-20
Totally accurate, i have hunted two big horn units so far, only on public and generally the top end bulls i seen were mid to low 320s.

20-Jan-20
Thanks guys. I’m not looking for a monster elk, only a good P&Y candidate. I’m more concerned with having a good hunt and that the elk are there in good numbers.

21-Jan-20

Brotsky's Link
I think you have a pretty good outfitter Matt based upon that comment alone. He's not overhyping or overpromising anything. Just telling you exactly what to expect. Should be pretty decent numbers in that unit. WY Game and Fish has pretty good general info on their site, linked if you are interested.

21-Jan-20
Brotsky, I looked at the link last night, as well as some online research. I don’t think he is out for running as many hunters as he can or trying to sell something he can’t deliver on, but I try to do my homework before these hunts. I’ve had some not so good experiences with outfitters. They are all salesmen, but some actually sell what they advertise. Most don’t.

21-Jan-20
I have saw picture of some really good bulls on 41. It's one of those areas that can go from hero to zero with one storm or vice versa. Migratory for sure, with a resident herd thats quick to run to private. Private/wilderness access is your ticket.

22-Jan-20
Junior, the outfitter has both, and hunts them accordingly. I have my choice of dates at this point, and was thinking of taking the second week. I always pick the wrong dates though!

23-Jan-20
Last time we were there it was hot and dry. The bulls didn't start getting fired up until the 11th.

• Sitka Gear