Skippy 24-Jan-20
Grey Ghost 24-Jan-20
Swampbuck 24-Jan-20
Busta'Ribs 24-Jan-20
Swampbuck 25-Jan-20
Shuteye 25-Jan-20
20-Jan-20

Busta'Ribs's Link
Often misunderstood subject, this video is very helpful explaining the difference in shot placement on hogs.

20-Jan-20

Busta'Ribs's Link
Often misunderstood subject, this video is very helpful explaining the difference in shot placement on hogs.

20-Jan-20
That was a good video. Thanks for posting . Hunt

20-Jan-20
I’ve seen that one before! Good video for sure! Not sure I agree about not using mechanical broadheads, but i do like his arrow placement!

21-Jan-20
It was so good I had to post it twice? I thought the same thing Dino, been tearing up hogs with big holes from expandables (NAP Killzones’s, mostly) for years. I shoot mostly small to med size hogs and I do shoot a fairly heavy arrow though.

21-Jan-20
That is a very good video, a lot of good information. I shoot 2” vortex, have not had any problems.

21-Jan-20
I just shoot them in the gut so I can get my arrow back...nasty ass invasive animals

21-Jan-20
Michael, answer like that gives us all a bad reputation and portrays us as cruel and uncaring. This plays into the anti hunters agenda.

21-Jan-20
Agreed Skippy, what a Tool. Dude even has a small dead hog in one of his (many) "trophy photos" with a caption that says that it was one of two hogs that he shot (he throws in that it was on public land just to make sure we all know how bad-ass he is) and that he didn't even bother to track the other one. Hey, I get that hogs are invasive, I get that they do considerable damage. But when you lose respect for life and for an animals suffering (if you ever had it to begin with) you've lost a vital part of your character that you will simply never regain.

21-Jan-20

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
I would suspect this shot, from last fall, was at the top corner of the triangle. He died in seconds. I always intend to shoot them right above the elbow, but lots of times my arrow ends up in the top corner. Hunting from a treestand and the angle involved, still gets lungs. I love killing hogs. I've also started doing the gutless method on them taking the shoulders, hams and backstraps. I can break one down pretty quick.

21-Jan-20
I really learned a lot from the “funnel” analogy the video describes for the shape of the vitals. It changes my perspective a bit, even after decades of bowhunting for hogs. I’ve always liked a quartering away shot for sure, but I’ve never passed a broadside shot when I expected a quartering away angle to be presented. I will from now on. Sure, I may miss out on some opportunities, but I expect my shot-to-kill ratio to rise dramatically.

24-Jan-20
Yo Busta'Rub!

24-Jan-20
Skippy I understand your perspective but we are dealing with an invasive animal here. Also Oklahoma has decided to make it a sport like some other states most in the south and it is causing imbalance in our environment. At some point they just need to be gone.

I hunt other species, I eliminate hogs

24-Jan-20
Why would you put a comment like that out there for everybody to see just because you think it doesn’t mean you have to say it!!! Once again comments like that make us all look bad, can’t you see that?

24-Jan-20
Can’t reason with an idiot Skip. The guy just made three brilliant statements in his last post alone. First: “we are dealing with an invasive animal here”. Really? Now that’s a newsflash. Or this: “at some point they just need to be gone”. Here’s a newsflash for you MA - hog’s ain’t going anywhere. And finally: “I eliminate hogs”. OMG, so you’re the guy God sent down to take care of this problem? And you're gonna do it with a stickbow? Hmmm... Well, I was wondering when you’d finally get here. You better get to work dude, cause you have a long way to go before you “eliminate” anything. Gimme a break.

24-Jan-20
Yes they are invasive and need to be controlled I understand that, but to make an asinine statement like “I shoot them in the guts just so I can get my arrow back” on a open forum That anybody can get on and read is stupid. As a group we need to be smarter than that.

24-Jan-20
I never agreed with the advocates of shooting elk in the "V" because their anatomy supports the fact that the "crease" offers more margin for error, while being just as lethal.

Having said that, this video educated me on the difference between elk and hog anatomy. I've only shot 2 hogs, both head shots with a rifle. The V is definitely the preferable shot with an arrow, and I will have remember that if I ever get the chance with a bow.

I don't know if I agree with his logic of passing on a broadside to wait for a hard quartering away, though. Since pigs are so "twitchy", isn't it just as possible they will twitch even more quartering away, resulting in a possible ham hit? It seems to me a broadside is still the best bet.

Thanks for posting, Busta.

24-Jan-20
Ham blaster shot!! YES. I miss TBM. I’ve killed quite a few hogs and the quartering away is ideal, but I’ve killed just as many broadside. Just need to hit high and forward. I’ve taken plenty with Vortex heads but hated ruining the blades. I save those for the deer. I use MX-3s for the piggies, always have at least one fixed head in the quiver during deer season just for them.

24-Jan-20
SB, I get the the forward, but not the high advice. Low and tight for me, and if you miss high, you better be back a little, not forward, unless you get lucky and break ‘em down with a spine shot.

25-Jan-20
BR, I understand what you’re saying. Being 20’ up I usually put my pin a little higher up than mid body straight up the leg on broadside shots, quartering away I’ll aim lower. On the ground is a different story. They’re tough critters for sure , always better to take out the pumper

25-Jan-20
I have only shot two boars. The first one was charging and I hit it right between the shoulder blades and it dropped in it's tracks. The guide said he had never seen a hog die that quickly even when shot with a gun. I could reach out and touch it where it dropped. Cat, the old bowsite regular and Troy Green were with me. The second one was a about 20 yards away and I double lunged him. He didn't go but a few feet and was dead. The guide had let me use Jak Hammers and they normally didn't allow expandable broad heads. He was sold on them after seeing what they do to a hog. He found my arrow probably 10 yards past the second hog and it was stuck in a bush.

Bowdad was going on an elk hunt and was having trouble tuning his bow for long shots with his regular broadheads. He called me and asked if I had any of those broadheads I killed the hogs with. I told him to come to my house and I would fix him up with Jak Hammers. He came down and later called me and said he was amazed that he could get great groups out to 50 yards. He went on his elk hunt and came to my house and brought me a cooler full of elk meat. He killed a big bull elk and said the jak hammer did the job.

• Sitka Gear