Grey Ghost 21-Jan-20
TD 21-Jan-20
DL 21-Jan-20
Bou'bound 21-Jan-20
Grey Ghost 21-Jan-20
DL 21-Jan-20
21-Jan-20

DL's Link
This time a 3 Year old. Lucky he survived the attack. This crap is getting old hearing about.

21-Jan-20
Yes it seems like there is an attack or two year and some involve deaths. It’s a shame.

21-Jan-20
Sounds about right for California. Then the only weapon the guy has is a backpack. The CA liberals will say people don’t need guns to protect themselves, just carry a backpack.

21-Jan-20
Kali don't care if a few humans die by animal attack. They just figger that in when bringing predators back or to a artificial apex. The rule was established in UK when?, 1400's when courts were built. We built USA around the rule of law for 240 some years and Kali tossed it out a few years and look at the place now.

K

21-Jan-20
What would we do if during the 13-year period of 2005 to 2017, lions killed 433 Americans. Two subspecies, subspecies A (284) and subspecies B (45), contributed to 76% (329) of these deaths. 32 different subspecies contributed to the remaining fatal lion maulings.

What would we do to those lions that were killing an average of 33 people a year in this country?

21-Jan-20
Oh you're right I had incorrectly edited the statistics. See below for the factual version:

During the 13-year period of 2005 to 2017, canines killed 433 Americans. Two dog breeds, pit bulls (284) and rottweilers (45), contributed to 76% (329) of these deaths. 32 different dog breeds contributed to the remaining fatal dog maulings.

21-Jan-20
I would say dogs are relatively pretty safe animals to be around. There are 90 million in the US. There are only 40,000 cougars at best.

21-Jan-20
Every bit as relevant as this:

The report showed a total of 13,455 murders in 2015, of which 9,616 involved firearms.

Handguns were the firearm of choice, involved in -6,447 (67%) of firearm murders that year compared with -252 (3%) by rifles and -269 (3%) by shotguns.

There were no further breakdowns by type of rifle or shotgun, and there were -2,477 (24%) gun murders where the type of firearm was undetermined.

Interestingly the number of murders with both rifles and shotguns declined each year from 2011 to 2015, so obviously those firearms became less deadly during that period.

21-Jan-20
Bou brings up a valid point. There have been 27 documented fatal lion attacks in the US in 100 years. Pet dogs kill that many people every year. Yet, we rarely see hunters gnashing their teeth about Fido.

Matt

21-Jan-20
Then factor in the number of hours per person in proximity of said animals..... and then factor how many folks lives are actually SAVED by them...... yeah, Ol Mr. Clemens had a point........ there really are 3 kinds.....

Damn bathtubs are even deadlier.... I'd quit using them.... good grief.... talk about apples and durians....

21-Jan-20
Dog kills someone or attacks someone and it gets destroyed. Lion attacks someone and idiots comment that they were here first and they are just doing what lions do. It’s easy to write about dogs killing people but what if this was your child or grandchild that was attacked by a lion? More kids get injured on pogo sticks than lion attacks. So what? The fact is we have around 7,000 lions here and they have decimated deer herds. They are in neighborhoods feeding on pets in a lot of areas. Bunny huggers here want to eliminate the killing of all predators in the state.

21-Jan-20
It really was more about the relative impact and the fact someone said it was "getting really old hearing about the lions killing people crap". We hear a lot less about lions killing people than we do dogs killing people. I am not suggesting we outlaw dogs or stop managing predators. Sometimes the bigger risk isn't the one that gets the most emotion going.

21-Jan-20
"Lion attacks someone and idiots comment that they were here first and they are just doing what lions do."

Lions that attack humans or livestock in Colorado are often hunted down and killed by the CPW. How do they handle it Cali?

Matt

21-Jan-20
That cat was killed after fish and wildlife gave them permission. Should be a no brainer. Anti groups whine and complain everytime a cat is killed. Not every cat that kills livestock gets approval to be killed I know of many instances where cats killed livestock and nothing is done. Antis put out a bleeding heart plea in the 70s to put lion hunting on the ballot. Anytime any thing to do with hunting on a ballot hunters loose. Bou I have no use for pit bulls even though I know of a number of very nice ones. The problem is when they do decide to fight or attack it’s disastrous. Had a lab pup that was almost mauled to death had I not intervened and choked the pit bull out. Some years ago a young mother of two was jogging near where I lived was killed and eaten by a lion. Found the cat an killed it. She had two cubs. More money in donations for the lion cubs came in than for the woman’s kids. That’s the mentality we deal with.

• Sitka Gear