ChrisH. 24-Jan-20
ELKMAN 24-Jan-20
otcWill 24-Jan-20
nmwapiti 24-Jan-20
Ambush 24-Jan-20
Jack Harris 24-Jan-20
nmwapiti 24-Jan-20
21-Jan-20
Morning fellas, just wanted to get your opinions on vanes. I am switching from fixed blade wac 'ems to mechanical Sevr 1.5s, at least for deer. Currently shooting blazers just because they are so easy to find. I think there are probably vanes out there that will spin my arrows as well with a little less height and noise. Any advice?

21-Jan-20
I would suggest Flex-Fletch Silent Knight SK-200's or SK-300's.

I'm running with 4 vanes.

21-Jan-20
I am running 4 fletch low profile AAE Max 2.0with no complaints. They are .380" tall. I don't see why a three fletch with the same vane would not do well. I just like the 4 fletch.

21-Jan-20
Let me know how that works out for ya wapiti. I may copy your final product.

21-Jan-20
Why switch heads? Your fixed blades are more reliable.

21-Jan-20
I'm partial to FFP 360s.

21-Jan-20
Flex fletch for me Also. 3.0 silent knight for me. Also love 3.6 standard.

21-Jan-20
I fletch Mini blazers on Axis shafts and they do great with the Wasp Jak-Hammers that 3 of us in the family shoot for everything. No cable clearance issues and they stabilize arrows from well tuned bows great with little cross wind issues. Two bows are shooting over 320 feet per second.

21-Jan-20
Red, a few reasons I'm trying something new. First, I made a couple shots this year on deer that didn't get the job done. The ultimate blame is on my shot placement, of course, but I think I might have gotten one of both if I did a little more damage. I have plenty of energy on deer size game to blow right through with a fixed blade. I think I can make a bigger hole and still get plenty of penetration. Jury is still out whether I would use them on elk or not. Second, Wac'em stopped making a deep six variant. I have enough to get me through another season or two, but I'll have to change heads or go to an outsert eventually. Third, I'm pretty good at tuning my bow for fixed blades, but it would be a nice not to worry about it. I've had some bad experiences with Rage's on whitetails in the past, so I'm cautious. Part of the reason I went with the 1.5 Sevr with the much more swept blades.

Sounds like I'll have to get some Flex Fletch's to try out.

Hey Empty! Hope life is as good as it can be out in CA :)

21-Jan-20
Bi-Delta Shark Tooth 2.5"

21-Jan-20
I’m currently shooting FMJ 400’s with Rage Hypodermics and 4 fletch Pine Ridge Archery low profile 2.2 Nitro vanes. They shoot great with my setup.

22-Jan-20
Flex fletch. Pick whatever style Suits you. You could do the FFP 200’s. Or go higher profile the flash or silent knights?

23-Jan-20
Definitely Flex Fletch. Silent Knight vanes were originally marketed for crossbow bolts but many compound shooters are using them on hunting arrows....including me. I like the 3" version in 3-fletch, set straight on a Bitz with 3 or 4 degrees offset.

23-Jan-20
Use the same fletching that you use on your target points. I can switch from target points to Jak Hammer heads with absolutely no change in point of impact. I use 100 grain target points and 100 grain Jak Hammers and killed deer number 72 with them in 2019. Am going turkey hunting this morning with the same set up I use for deer.

23-Jan-20
Shuteye -- X2!

23-Jan-20
The Flex Fletch FFP 200 have been working great for me. Those vanes are so quiet but tough. I do a 4 fletch and shoot SEVRS. I’ve tried a lot of vanes and these are my favorites.

23-Jan-20
Sounds like a consensus. Going to try Silent Knight 200s. Will do 4 fletch if I need to. I'll try to post results this spring. Going to make my annual order for arrows, strings, and fletching shortly.

24-Jan-20
The Flex Fletch FFP 200 have been working great for me. Those vanes are so quiet but tough. I do a 4 fletch and shoot SEVRS. I’ve tried a lot of vanes and these are my favorites.

24-Jan-20
SK 300s...

24-Jan-20

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
Admitted vane junky here. I've been through almost everything and aside from noise and durability I haven't noticed any difference. I've used everything flex fletch from LPs to FFPs of several size to Flash. I spent the last 2 years shooting vanetec vmax 2.5 because I wanted something with slightly lower profile than FFPs without going to a true low profile. Shot through pile of animals and targets with them over the past 2 years and never lost or damaged a vane. Similar size to the SKs only slightly lower height (profile), lighter than the sk 300, cheaper, and parabolic cut so slightly quieter. All that said a bullseye's a bullseye. Pulled my bow out yesterday and shot 4 at 80. Looks like I better adjust my pin ;)

24-Jan-20
Dang otc! Good sales pitch.

24-Jan-20
Will, you’re the guy that crossbow guys use to prove crossbows are not more lethal. Quit it!!

Do most people, especially diy, fletch offset or helical? I’ve always used helical, but mostly because my Bitz is fifty years old and came with that clamp.

24-Jan-20
Blazers work very well for me regardless of fixed blade or mechanical. The combination of profile and stiffness with helical is all that is needed. If it ain't broke - not fixing it. The work well on my bitzenburger jig - but I recall seeing others say that they do not do as well on a bitz as other style fletching jigs (but can't prove that by me they come out great and spin well)

24-Jan-20
I have a Bitz with straight and helical jigs. I even have left and right helical. I give em as much twist as I can. Been doing right helical with this setup. Only challenge is real estate on my 4mm shafts.

• Sitka Gear