Brotsky 22-Jan-20
ND String Puller 22-Jan-20
Paul@thefort 22-Jan-20
scrapwood 22-Jan-20
JTreeman 22-Jan-20
Iowa_Archer 22-Jan-20
Paul@thefort 22-Jan-20
21-Jan-20
Even a blind hog can find truffle sometimes. 32 degrees this morning with light breeze, cloudy. Since the geese for the past few days did not fly until nearly 9 am I almost decided to wait at home until 8:15 am before heading out. But, I got up at 5 am, had breakfast, watched a couple of hunting shows on the Sportsman's Channel and then left for the 5 minute trip to the field. Arrived there at 7:40 and set up the decoys at the house blind. Had a single goose fly over looking for its lost mate I believe.

21-Jan-20

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
the geese were flying early, 8:50 am and they kept coming but heading into town and greener pastures.
the geese were flying early, 8:50 am and they kept coming but heading into town and greener pastures.
8:15 these two dropped in but were on alert
8:15 these two dropped in but were on alert

21-Jan-20

did not like the situation and moved away from 35 yards
did not like the situation and moved away from 35 yards
and by the time I got ready, they were at 40, still nervous, and then they flew away without me getting a shot off.
and by the time I got ready, they were at 40, still nervous, and then they flew away without me getting a shot off.

21-Jan-20

for the next hour there were geese in the air and a few times some locked onto the decoys but then did not finish.
for the next hour there were geese in the air and a few times some locked onto the decoys but then did not finish.
every time there was a slow time I decided to get out of the blind for a stretch and a better view. More geese flew over.
every time there was a slow time I decided to get out of the blind for a stretch and a better view. More geese flew over.

21-Jan-20

Single coming in. Might be the single from earlier. On the ground, 22 yards, bow in hard, draw, aim, release. WACK. I love that sound.
Single coming in. Might be the single from earlier. On the ground, 22 yards, bow in hard, draw, aim, release. WACK. I love that sound.
pass through and down
pass through and down
and down for good. Go get Chase!
and down for good. Go get Chase!

21-Jan-20

Chase is ready, where is the goose?
Chase is ready, where is the goose?
I line him up, on the planted goose 100 yards across the pasture.
I line him up, on the planted goose 100 yards across the pasture.
off like a rocket, a 11 year old rocket at that.
off like a rocket, a 11 year old rocket at that.
got it!
got it!

21-Jan-20

a young but tender hen goose in hand, yea, beats two in the bush!
a young but tender hen goose in hand, yea, beats two in the bush!
Well you all know what is next. Treat time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well you all know what is next. Treat time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21-Jan-20

Decided to relocate the blind to the opposite end of the pasture ,took down the blind, left the decoys out and crossed the field. You know what happened, 12 geese in the decoys. Oh well, tomorrow.
Decided to relocate the blind to the opposite end of the pasture ,took down the blind, left the decoys out and crossed the field. You know what happened, 12 geese in the decoys. Oh well, tomorrow.
the view from this new location. I can see well most geese coming off the lake and surrounding areas. Tomorrow for sure. Paul
the view from this new location. I can see well most geese coming off the lake and surrounding areas. Tomorrow for sure. Paul

21-Jan-20
Great job Paul, congrats to you and Chase! Excellent photo recap as usual!

How much calling do you do? It has to be a challenge calling, taking those great pics and pulling off bow shots by yourself. Truly a one man band.

21-Jan-20
Yea Jim, it keep my head on a swivel for sure but I have been doing this for a few years and have a system to get ready, be it, bow, camera or calling. Calling? depends on the call sound, sometimes a lot of excited calling, and then sometimes just a few chuckles.. If they see the decoys and lock wings. I do not call but get the camera or bow ready. Most often, the camera is ready nearby on the ground and within close range and ready to shoot. The first priority is getting the pictures and once landed, there is time to pick up the bow and release. Then grab the camera again for any final pictures. Fun sharing with bowsite friends. my best, Paul

21-Jan-20
Paul, I'd say you have your "system" down pat and I can tell that you and Chase always have a great time no matter the results.

I used to do a lot of waterfowl, ducks and geese, hunting with my dad when I was younger and have some great memories. He's 70 now and his health isn't the best but seeing your posts has me itching to go do it again. My wife is going to think I'm crazier than she already does if I tell her I'm going goose hunting with my recurve.

Thanks again for sharing your hunts!

21-Jan-20
Nice going Paul, slow start to the season, but you are making up for it now!

—Jim

21-Jan-20
Way to go Paul. It looks like the goose (just prior to you shooting it) has a bloody spot on it's breast??? Then after you are holding it, it is very obvious. Pellet wound?

21-Jan-20
Actually Bob, that picture was taken a few seconds after the arrow had passed through the goose. The goose just did not know it yet. Paul

21-Jan-20
It was great weather today for hunting geese. Chase and you are living the dream!

21-Jan-20
Thanks for bringing us along. Fun times!

21-Jan-20
Hey Steve, I just looked at your hunting photos and you have done good, BUT I see no archery goose pics. Time to step up to the challenge. I was just thinking about the opportunities I have had over the past 9 years and then thought that if I had had a shot gun, my talley would have been 10X. To land them within archery range is the challenge and then get the shot. my best, Paul

21-Jan-20
Good job Chase, and you too Paul !

21-Jan-20
What a fine looking Lab! Congratulations on the Goose but I really admire your dog!

21-Jan-20
Thx for always taking us along. Extra treats for Chase. Good luck!!

21-Jan-20

Dan, this is Chase's very first duck hunt and mallard retrieved, at age 9 months.
Dan, this is Chase's very first duck hunt and mallard retrieved, at age 9 months.
that was 10 years ago, he will be 11 on Valentines Day.
that was 10 years ago, he will be 11 on Valentines Day.
we have spent a lot of time together and training
we have spent a lot of time together and training
but mainly having fun together. Yep, I am impressed with him also. Paul
but mainly having fun together. Yep, I am impressed with him also. Paul

22-Jan-20
You 2 are on a roll, keep the fun going. Forrest

22-Jan-20
Nice work boys! Glad to see you guys out there keeping the geese honest! Congrats!

22-Jan-20
Paul your hunt threads always bring a smile to my face. I’m curious if you use what they call the “comeback” call. I’m no expert but back in my high school days we hunted geese every single weekend and sometimes even before school. Lol. Any way, on many occasions when we would have a pair come in and only got one bird killed we were able to call the mate back and get that one too. We were using shot guns and it worked. I can only imagine it would work better with only the “thump” of your bow. Keep up the good work. And as always thanks for sharing it with us!

Kelly

22-Jan-20
Kelly I have tried that but will again following your advise. let you know for sure. Starting to see mating pairs and singles. Paul

22-Jan-20
Atta boy Chase!

Thanks Paul for sharing your goose hunts!

22-Jan-20
I feel like maybe Chase has Paul trained to write his hunting reports on Bowsite for him. Seems Chase is a bigger star here than Paul! ;)

—Jim

22-Jan-20
Regarding calling back "shot at" geese...back in the day when we would go after geese regularly, we had a phrase that guided us, "Kill the chief". We would literally try to identify the "ranking" goose in the incoming flock and whack it first. Once the leader of the band is down, it was not uncommon to then be able to bring some/all of the flock back for a second volley.

Normally, flocks of geese are family units and there is a clear leader. If you can get him first, the other, less experienced and probably young of the year birds will be discombobulated for a little while and can be enticed back into the danger zone virtually right away. We had this work many times over the years and I would agree...minus the loud gunshots, it might even be easier to accomplish with a quiet weapon like a bow.

Meanwhile, I really enjoy reading these posts, thank you Paul AND Chase!!

22-Jan-20

Hey Jim, you are so correct, with out Chase being the star, these posts would not have been so popular. I know a lot of the Bowsiters have dogs and hunt them in one fashion or another. He is just fun being around and has gotten away with a lot more than the other 5 labs I have had. Sort of like the younger child does.

• Sitka Gear