Ermine 25-Jan-20
TNRAMBLINMAN 25-Jan-20
Ironbow-cell 25-Jan-20
Trial153 25-Jan-20
tembow 26-Jan-20
LKH 26-Jan-20
DonVathome 26-Jan-20
24-Jan-20
Has anyone made any sort of fleece or felt contraption to quickly go over your boots for the final say 200 yards into a stand? I bought one of the commercial versions and I was not impressed as it was not easy to get on and does not look like it would last very many seasons. Or, is there a commercial version that you can rapidly put on that will stay on your boots until you get to your stand?

24-Jan-20
I can’t imagine anything that would slip over boots that wouldn’t hold scent. I’d rather simply wear rubber boots when stand hunting......

24-Jan-20
I've never felt the need to stalk in anything but the shoes I'm in. I know guys will call me crazy but I haven't felt the need to get down to my socks either. Done it a couple times, but it just hasn't been an issue. I also can not remember ever getting busted by noise, but I am very careful where my feet go down. I always have a second pair of wool socks in my pack for spot and stalk deals, but I just never seem to need them.

Putting something over a shoe would be the worst IMO. You are trying to muffle noise, but now you're just losing balance as well. Either go straight shoes, or shoe-less IMO.

24-Jan-20
I pretty much agree with APauls to a T.

—Jim

24-Jan-20
If you hunt where the ground is dry as a bone and every leaf and twig as crackly as potato chips something besides standards boots is a must to stalk within range of a bedded mule deer buck for instance.

I agree that over shoes can be a little off balance, and even slippery. I stalked in 5 fingers shoes and they worked really well: good combination of quiet and grippy plus could feel the ground.

I've made my own overshoes by sewing fleece or similar slippers and gluing or sewing carpet or other padding to the bottom. When all said and done not really worth the time/hassle compared to just buying something IMO.

To just walk 200 yards to your stand I would think most any of the commercially made options would last quite some time. There is a felt sole with nylon ropes that cinches over your boots that is fairly easy to put on/off and relatively durable. I'd have to search online to figure out the brand.

24-Jan-20
I do more spot and stalk hunting than any other method, and I've tried nearly every over-boot option. Nothing is more quiet and agile than stalking in socks. A heavy pair of wool socks is always in my pack. The cactus needles eventually work their way out of your feet. ;-)

Matt

24-Jan-20
Any of you fellas have any experience with stalking in moccasins? I've heard if well made they are very comfortable and super quiet.

24-Jan-20
Moccasins do work, but they aren't as quiet as socks. I also find that socks force me to slow way down and be more careful where I'm placing my feet. I also tried a pair of minimalist boots last season and found them to be more quiet than normal hiking boots.

I'm not sure where and how some of you hunt, but noise is a huge consideration when trying to sneak up on a wily old bedded buck. I've blown stalks by simply allowing my broad-head to rustle a few blades of dried native grass.

Matt

24-Jan-20
I a socks guy ! I keep a heavy pair in my pack. Nothing is quieter . I have tried moccasins and they are slick on any kind of slope. Just GPS your boots. Don’t ask me how I know :) Hunt

24-Jan-20
HUNT MAN,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has spent hours looking for his boots after a long stalk. Ha! Now, I always take them off near a landmark that I know I'll be able to find later.

Matt

24-Jan-20
Socks are quieter, but 5-Fingers are DARN close, yet offer substantially better traction and foot protection. Not quick and easy to put on, though.

24-Jan-20
Yeah, as much as my feet sweat, the game would be long gone before I ever got those 5-Fingers on. ;-)

Matt

24-Jan-20
One of these days I’ll try the giant wool socks over the boot idea. I just go straight boots, slow down, and watch where I put my feet. The bottom of my feet are extremely sensitive so taking my boots off is not an option. Heck, I can hardly walk across grass barefoot.

24-Jan-20
Have spent some very long hours searching for my boots and pack in the dark above treeline before GPS...

For stalking in on bedded bucks, silence is critical. Especially if you want to get into trad bow range! Socks!

Have used the fleece pull over kind quite a bit in the desert country and they work better than just boots. Not very expensive but also not very durable.

24-Jan-20
Agreed heavy wool socks are the way to go. I haven't had to an issue not finding my boots or pack like some of you folks. :)

24-Jan-20
I would thing glueing a set of insoles inside a pair of socks would give you the perfect set up. Quite but some protection for your feet.

25-Jan-20
Think there is a product out there called "Bear's Feet", that just strap on over your boot and gives a "soft sole" for stalking?

25-Jan-20
I crack up watching people in mountain boot clodhoppers walking like a pregnant Yak.

Thinking they are stalking quietly.

I think some are mixing definitions.

“Still Hunting” sneaking very slowly. Looking to find and animal

And “Stalking” sneaking into bow range on an animal.

Very hard to get in bow range of a bedded deer with an inch of boot tread under foot.

25-Jan-20
Since you are talking about slipping the last 200 yards to your stand and not stalking in on bedded deer, have you tried just raking the leaves off your entry trail? Obviously having private land here helps. Normally I use a push mower to make a path and finish with a steel rake. Only problem is, deer like those trails as well, but nothing will be quieter.

25-Jan-20
Learn how to walk quietly. In lug sole boots it's harder to do but it can be done if you take your time.

It's explained well in G.Fred Asbell's, "Stalking and Stillhunting, The Groundhunter's Bible".

25-Jan-20
“The cactus needles eventually work their way out of your feet. ;-)”

Lol! I had cactus needles popping out of my legs for a month after my NM ibex hunt!

25-Jan-20
I’m a sock guy too. Socks force me to slow down and they are quietest by far.

I don’t like anything over my boots because I’m Not as nimble with boots on.

25-Jan-20
I am going to try using the largest cheap socks I can find. Good idea and thanks. I try my best when hunting at home to have raked trails to my stands. But leaves fall and the wind blows. I have blown out way too many deer early in the am going to a stand just because of dry leaves. Same thing in a frozen harvested corn field.

25-Jan-20
Day One Camo has a slip on fleece bootie that would probably work really well. Have not tried them but thought about it.

25-Jan-20
Vibram 5 fingers are the best i ever used for quiet stalking the last 150 yards or so.

26-Jan-20
Wool bottom fleece sides pull cord to put on without sitting down hush N go boot wraps hushcovers.com work awesome. And can be used to work in peoples homes without taking shoes off.

26-Jan-20
Cabela's makes a knockoff but I've worn the Browning Featherweight boots with the crepe type sole. I've worn out a few pairs and they don't last like vibram style but are far quieter.

Never lost my boots but I did spend a few hours searching for my rifle on Kodiak.

26-Jan-20
Sheep and elk hunting taught me about how quite socks are. Even better are bears feet. Amazing. There is a reason bears make no sounds walking in the woods - seriously. Bears feet are awesome and cheap. They will obviously hold scent - but only if exposed to it. Keep them in a plastic bags until needed and never expose to bad scent and it will be the same as rubber boots.

Never EVER make s short stalk and leave your pack/important gear without a gps point and a lot of looking around. I have had many "short" stalks turn into a 1/2 mile. I have spent a fair amount of time searching for my boots and/or pack. Unnerving to know all my siwash gear is not with me..........

• Sitka Gear