Shug 04-Mar-20
Quinn @work 04-Mar-20
BOWNUT 04-Mar-20
Brun 04-Mar-20
WDP 05-Mar-20
BOHUNTER09 05-Mar-20
BOHUNTER09 05-Mar-20
24-Jan-20
I had a total knee replacement Thursday. Got only a little pain. Should be good to go for turkey season.

24-Jan-20
Congrats! Hope your recovery goes well.

24-Jan-20
The hospital had a Joint camp a month ago. I did the exercises as prescribed

Really strengthened my muscles

24-Jan-20
The recent advances in orthopedic treatments are simply amazing. Had a friend who had both knees replaced when he was 78 years old, and was up and moving better than before in short order. I’ve had meniscus surgeries on both knees and was working out again about a month after.

All the best - while you’re laid up is a good time to re-examine hunting dreams/goals and research new gear.

24-Jan-20
Good luck had mine done in July all went pretty good did all my pt until last week I dislocated my knee the pain was excruciating.This is extremely rare but I figured out some way to do it.Hope all goes well.Lewis

24-Jan-20
I carry my Ranger Elk Archery buddy for Meniscus surgery next week. Tough nut. He had 28 suguries during his 28yrs of service. Hoping it goes well. He already talking of humping the high country for elk in early 2020 sesson.

You should be good to go!

K

24-Jan-20
Good luck

24-Jan-20
76 here and I'm afraid I am looking at the same thing. I'm not an injured jock just having a hard time walking after sitting for awhile. Puts a cramp on heading out to call yotes this month.

24-Jan-20
No pain next day I am guessinga nerve block was used. GREAT things.

Had tkr oct of 18. After a month I was better than previous surgery. Went from wanting to throw up after a mile hike to hoofing 8 miles in the mountains paid free

24-Jan-20
I'm 57 had mine done in the last 2 years. Best thing I have done and should have done it sooner.

24-Jan-20
I had both knees done November 29, 2017. So much better. I get around the hills like I used to.

25-Jan-20
Speedy recovery!

27-Jan-20
Prayers for a speedy recovery Carl!

27-Jan-20
Heal up!

27-Jan-20
Good luck in your recovery. So far only injections for me and I’m still pretty good for an old fat man.

27-Jan-20
Brother had both done a few years back. Best money he ever spent. His advice, “ listen to your doc and do the rehab”. Good luck.

27-Jan-20
I had my right knee replaced 2-19-18 and my left knee done 2-26-19 and I can now do things that I could not do for a couple of years prior to replacement. I turkey hunted both years without a problem. I did PT three times a day on days when I did go to therapy with the therapist. I like you did exercises prior to surgery and I believe it really helped. Do your therapy and you will be fine. Just do not do too much for a while.

27-Jan-20

27-Jan-20
Heading down the same path in Mar., put it off last yr to not miss the hunt but it did severely mess the hunt up. Bone on bone doesn’t work in rough terrain, had to end the hunt which really hurt more than if I just did it earlier, looking forward to get at it this fall.

27-Jan-20
Bone on Bone just flat out hurts, all the time.

27-Jan-20
Get well...

27-Jan-20
BobH there was a block. I’m going tomorrow for first physical therapy visit. Been doing some at home since surgery. I’m able to walk with cane right now. Knee is swollen but does not hurt. I’m loading up on pain meds before tomorrow’s session

27-Jan-20
Good Luck Pal...hope it heals up fast for you.

30-Jan-20
Had mine done last year, i was a miserable prick... changed me totally!!!! Now im jut a prick....jk. as said bone on bone is unbelievable... keep your quads strong, keeps everything tight n straight...

30-Jan-20
I’m one week post op. Going for the third physical therapy session tomorrow. They say I’m ahead of schedule, but I will need to be patient. Pain has been controlled. Not sleeping very well.

31-Jan-20
Had both done a year apart - Dec 16 and 17. Sleep took a few weeks to get regular, so take it when you can. Passive stretching several hours a day, lots of ice, and don't let the therapist's cause pain and/or swelling. I only did 3 pt visits with the 2nd knee because they were trying to force gains every visit when swelling was preventing it. Did my own without aggravating it and got 125 deg by week 6.

31-Jan-20
Best of luck, you will be very happy in short order. I had a total shoulder replacement last April. I was back to shooting 60#s in 3 months. Do your PT and follow docs orders and you will be like a new man !! Shawn

05-Feb-20

BOHUNTER09's embedded Photo
BOHUNTER09's embedded Photo
Staples out today. Physical therapy says I’m doing great. I barely need the cane but will use it for a while

06-Feb-20
Good to use the cane for balance for a bit especially if out in any wintry conditions.

06-Feb-20
Steve. Yes things are slick out there. Did some balancing exercises today that showed me I am not ready to solo yet.

06-Feb-20
Good deal! Hope you get some great mileage out of that new knee!

06-Feb-20
Hope you’re back in the woods soon!

06-Feb-20
Looking at this, is there a shelf life to this deal?

06-Feb-20
Should be good for 20 years at least

07-Feb-20
Keepemsharp: I had both my knees done there in Manhattan. I know I got along better than most of the people I know that have had replacement done elsewhere. If you decide to do yours I believe you have a very good option there in Manhattan. Let know if you have specific questions.

Lee

07-Feb-20
Get well

07-Feb-20
Shelf life on the replacement often comes down to the glue! The joint is solid, it's the glue and connection to the bone that will let you down if anything does.

Had mine done at 54, told I am good for life unless of unexpected. Also met with him over Christmas for the 1 year checkup, asked about carry loads on my back, he said that knee can handle more weight than any other part of me.

07-Feb-20
I have not had the weight carrying discussion yet. I’m not looking to push the capacity. I’ve read that there are recommendations for 20-30 pounds.

07-Feb-20
Appointment next week on the MRI that shows my meniscus tear. Small tear, but I have a floater (torn piece) in the knee that is causing pain. #1 daughter is a PT and she is chanting, no surgery, no surgery, she has seen too many of them and is not a fan. Dr. is saying we need to take it out it is like sand in a bearing it is going to cause more than just pain if we keep walking on it. I hope to compromise and have the chunk removed but not mess with the meniscus other than that.

oz

07-Feb-20
I had a meniscus tear scoped 3 years ago. That was good for 2 years. If they can get that floater, you might get several more years. I’ve talked to lots of people with tkr. Only one regretted it. Keep the original as long as you can.

10-Feb-20
thanks bohunter09 I will go in wed. and listen to the dr. then call #1 daughter and recite what I heard. I have several colleagues who have had repairs and them common theme is don't do it. So I am curious to piece it all together and see what I end up doing.

oz

10-Feb-20
Can 6a bring daughter with ya? Let her hear the damage and ask questions

12-Feb-20
Bowhunter09, how's recovery going? hope you're getting on well.

12-Feb-20
I’m getting along well. 3 weeks ago tomorrow was surgery. I can walk around the house without a cane. I’m using it when I go outside. Had more intense physical therapy Monday, but had more flexibility Tuesday with increased home work. Pain is decreasing daily. Back to physical therapy today. Therapist says I am ahead of schedule but I’m a little impatient.

12-Feb-20
Bob sadly no She is on a trip to India working PT in orphanages for 6 weeks. So I will have to relay everything to her. My appointment today was canceled the Dr was going to be out today, so I am in waiting to see when I get another opportunity to go.

oz

12-Feb-20
Hope recovery goes well!

I just had my meniscus scoped a few hours ago. I’ll be 50 this year. Can’t wait to see how things feel down there.

12-Feb-20
Unfortunately knees (and shoulders) don't heal themselves from tears. Anymore it seems like a common issue that we are all getting older. It is true that recovery from a repair is slower and usually more painful than a replacement. Still, after a scope and few years now of injections quality of life with good mobilty is substantially better than hobbling on bad knees. Strongly encourage you to get the fix.

12-Feb-20
MQQSE. Best of luck with your scope. You will recover pretty quickly from that. Hope it will buy you years of relief.

13-Feb-20
I had meniscus repair done at 52. Flap removed and the tear cleaned up. Bought me 10 years before needing replacement - most of which was far better than the year before the repair.

13-Feb-20
Had total knee replacement in November 2016 and was hunting javelina in January, do your rehab religiously. Good luck

13-Feb-20
Was able to climb stairs in normal manner today. Going down, not so much. I still have some difficulty getting a comfortable position to sleep

14-Feb-20
Interestingly , i recently saw a commercial for a product called "Knee-Grow" lol. Glad to hear things are going well.

04-Mar-20
One final report. I was cleared by the doctor today with no restrictions. No pain, just some stiffness in the morning. 6 weeks post surgery. Ready for turkey season.

04-Mar-20
Get well

04-Mar-20
Wow that’s awesome bohunter09. Amazing how they can replace a knee and your back to normal quicker than doing an ACL.

04-Mar-20
Be sure you post that trophy photo bird. Good luck.

04-Mar-20
Great news bohunter, but as someone who had both knees done at once I caution you to not get carried away. I think you will find that your balance and strength are probably not as great when you get out in the woods. I'm not suggesting that you don't go turkey hunting, but be careful stepping over logs and on slippery slopes. Falling and forcing your knees into more flexion than you want is no fun. Have a great time, but I think you will feel less secure in the woods than you do at home. Good luck and post a picture of you with your turkey.

05-Mar-20
Had my knees done one 8 yrs and the other 9 yrs ago. No one has mentioned the pain I get when hiking along and I kick a rock mid stride. Makes me hurt for a while. Just learn to pick up you feet and step over with clearance. It really use to take my breath away not so much anymore.

05-Mar-20
I just got back from a one mile walk around my food plots. No sheds found but felt really good to be outside. Brun, you are right. I’m going to be really careful to not get into a situation which might be bad. Going down hill is hard

05-Mar-20
I just got back from a one mile walk around my food plots. No sheds found but felt really good to be outside. Brun, you are right. I’m going to be really careful to not get into a situation which might be bad. Going down hill is hard

• Sitka Gear