x-man 26-Jan-20
12yards 27-Jan-20
kentuckbowhnter 27-Jan-20
APauls 27-Jan-20
craigmcalvey 27-Jan-20
PECO 27-Jan-20
WNYTCIII 27-Jan-20
25-Jan-20
I was listening to a Dudley podcast on a long trip home from chasing roosters in Kansas. He stated the big three were hoyt, Mathews, and pse. How would you rank how companies? Sales, profits, notoriety, popularity (all in one).

25-Jan-20
With bow companies being private and not publicly held- it is a subjective question with no facts to backup statements.

25-Jan-20
Of course. Which is why I posted it on a forum. Facts usually don’t rule forums, but opinions do.

25-Jan-20
This should be very interesting. I'm getting my popcorn .

25-Jan-20
I'd expect Hoyt and Matthews to be in most peoples top 3, the 3rd one is debatable.

PSE? Bowtec? Prime? I really dont know............

25-Jan-20
Do they have to have wheels to be in the ranking?

25-Jan-20
Agree with Predeter, I’d say Hoyt and Matthews top 2, but 3rd maybe a tossup? Doesn’t it vary by state/ region though?

25-Jan-20
I have Mathews and Hoyt bows and had great luck with both. The Mathews cost me big time and then the local bow shop made me a Hoyt staff shooter and they made me a bow for no cost. I had a lot of great luck with it deer hunting. Jeff Hopkins lived close to me and I never had to worry about tuning a bow. He also made me the first fiber optic sight I had ever seen. He had rolls of fiber optic material. I thought both companies treated me great. I can't pull a bow anymore so I now use a Ravin that shoots a bolt at 425 FPS. It is great too. BTW I still have Bear recurve that was bought in the 50's. It killed a lot of deer too. When my first Bear bow snapped when I drew it to shoot at a buck I was very sad. Bear sent me a brand new bow complete with string and brush buttons at no charge.

25-Jan-20
They all pay excise tax. You can get a good estimate of size from that.

25-Jan-20
Not trying to be a smart a** I’m asking because I’m truly curious, why do things like this matter to people?

25-Jan-20
Trad. They really don't. Just bored people

JTV appears to have been banned eliminated etc from the BS. All his posts on other topics are gone like the wind

25-Jan-20
I don’t think it really matters to anyone unless you are one of those companies or trying to get there. This is what you do on a Saturday night when you are to old to go drinking at club anymore.

25-Jan-20
Trad, when someone says “not trying trying to be a ...” it means they’re being exactly a ... and they know it. If you read my post again, it came from a comment by John Dudley on a podcast. If you don’t care, then move on. No need to grace this thread with your comment.

25-Jan-20
I don’t think it matters to anyone except the guy that owns a particular bow. I’m pissed that Elite isn’t number one. :-)

25-Jan-20
Admit it Ucs your just to old to do anything than more fun then sit home and debate about something that by Monday you will forget you started a thread on. For the recorded I am doing the same thing. Am looking forward to getting up at 4:00 AM for the last pheasant hunt of season.

25-Jan-20
Haha yep! The roosters were WILD today. We needed some snow. I Knocked down one and we ran a 200 yard dash. I lost and he got away. Already looking forward to November!

25-Jan-20
If those are the big 3 then Bowtech and Bear must be like Honda and Subaru...... :-)

25-Jan-20
What no love for Martin?

25-Jan-20
What part of state were you hunting?

25-Jan-20
Does this mean we won’t get to see the picture of JTV deer or get to hear about the hours of dragging it out anymore?

25-Jan-20
JTV finally reached the tolerance limit of bitching and Pat-bashing about the demise of the CF on the last thread he started. See ya!

As for this thread, too subjective to matter. Personally, I don't care about sales numbers because advertising rules. That seems to be what Dudley was talking about.

25-Jan-20
Guess so

25-Jan-20
Man...... I was just about to bring up the story of him running over his foot with a push mower cutting shooting lanes..... and cutting off a couple of his toes.... classic.........:-)

26-Jan-20
Ucs I promise you I was asking the question seriously, I realize it sounds bad to ask “why do you care” but I’d put the same question to Dudley.

26-Jan-20
I look at getting parts for bows when they get some age on them, when i buy. The only company, that i know of that does this, is Mathews. All bows are very expensive to only be able to get parts for them, for just a few years down the road. From what I've read, Mathews will have parts for ANY bow they have made. That's pretty impressive. At the moment, i don't shoot a Mathews, but will in the future due to their parts for their bows are readily available.

26-Jan-20
I have to give the nod to Hoyt for surviving 90 years in the business. AND being near the top or at the top.

I currently shoot a Mathews. But I think Bear, Martin, Pse, Bowreck, Darton, could each arguably be in the top three for their own reasons.

Today I will work an Osage stave down to its back. And start working on the belly. Then that bow will be number one. For a while.

26-Jan-20
The big three is often referred to here on bowsite as Mathews, Hoyt, and Bowtech. Maybe not in that order. I don't know who sells the most, or sponsors most of the best. It matters to me though, because I currently shoot a Diamond, made by Bowtech. I hope Bowtech stays in business because my next bow may very well be a Daimond. With Diamond, I get a lot of bow for half the money of any of the big three. I won't drop top dollar on the latest and greatest. I will check out mid priced bows when the time comes, or used. I understand that if you are a good shot, you will be a good shot with almost any bow. The bow that cost the most, is most advertised, or has the biggest fan boy club is not necessary for success.

26-Jan-20
I will say this. Around 1985 i had a Martin lynx & bought a new hot shot release got home hooked the release to the bow drew back the button hit my jaw & blew up the bow. I called Martin told them what happened they offered to repair my bow no charge or take my bow in trade plus $50 for a new pro series cougar magnum. I killed a lot of deer with that cougar magnum bow. Had a limb crack on a bowtec 101st airborne after about 7 years of a lot of shooting they replaced both limbs for $50 I still have the bow it's a 2005 model. Iv received EXCELLENT customer service from these two companies

26-Jan-20
The serious guys get Hoyt

26-Jan-20
Depends on the criteria used to rank them.

26-Jan-20
JTV served his country with courage, I think he had a right to vent. Some boys got offended so they muted him.

26-Jan-20
From what I have read, Hoyt was number one until about '05-06, but then their technology stagnated and Bowtech has replaced them as the recognized leader today.

;-)

26-Jan-20
And I will add it took about until '17 before the experts recognized there was no improvement in Hoyt's technology.

;-)

26-Jan-20
LOL Habitat I see what you did there. I was wondering where the "expert" is on this thread.

26-Jan-20
Back in the days of my competitive 3D shooting, Mathews was the company to be sponsored by. They led the way with new technologies each year, and treated their sponsored shooters better than any other company, including matching the winning purse if you won the bigger national tournaments. Hoyt was second. Bowtech was just coming onto the scene, but was gaining popularity. PSE wasn't popular at all, here in the west. Martin had a following amongst target shooters, but not so much with hunters. Elite wasn't a company yet.

Nowadays, who knows. I think the best technologies have gotten so saturated in the market that there's a very fine line between all the top manufacture's products. It really comes down to personal preference, availability, and customer service.

Matt

26-Jan-20
You can't beat Mathews if you want to keep your bow for years. Parts stock and service is second to none. (so that puts them first there).

PSE used to be the "meat and potatoes" hunting bow. Very affordable, durable and for the most part slightly unexciting. (until you draw it on an animal) Kinda the Volkswagon Beetle of bows. Then they put all their eggs in the speed basket which cost them dearly in shootability and durability. Really too bad, but many bought their bows based strictly on FPS.

Hoyt had so many good bows and bad bows with a few real stinkers and a few real standouts. No consistency whatsoever. That's why many hate them or love them. I refuse to buy a $1,000 plus bow then have to order custom strings before even starting to shoot it.

Definitely something to be said for the upper, middle of the road bows from a few of the other companies (Peco's Diamond) that just shoot year after year, are not so high performance they need constant tweaking and parts, or so cheap they wear out and need to be replaced regularly. My backup bow is fourteen years old, one step below "Flagship" and a bit sloppy in the wall and performance, but is the one bow I'll never sell. It's a lot like me.

"Best" bow and "best" bow company won't always be the same year after year. But the company that has over all good products and consistently great service will always be circling the highest peak.

26-Jan-20
Idk about PSE being in the big 3 other than the fact that Dudley just partnered with them. Seems to me he’s just trying to pimp his new partnership - not that there’s anything wrong with that. He’s got to make his money.

I like my Prime that I just picked up but have only hunted with Mathews and Martin, and an old PSE prior to that.

26-Jan-20
Mathews, Mathews, and Mathews. :^)

FWIW, it wasn't JTV's willingness to rant that got him banned. It was his unwillingness to accept he wasn't the top dog making the decisions.

26-Jan-20
Mathews and Hoyt, and I would guess Bowtech as #3.

26-Jan-20
I've shot all three and i am not saying Mathews was the best. They are the only one's that carry parts for ANY bow they have made. To me, that's important for as Expensive they are. If I am not mistaken, i think Hoyt and BowTech has parts for 5 years. I guess that would be a good excuse to tell the wives that we need a new bow.8^)

26-Jan-20
I always assume Mathews and hoyt were 1-2, either way. Then 3rd was Bowtech followed by pse and/or prime at 4 or 5.

26-Jan-20
Hopefully JTV just received a temporary time out.

26-Jan-20
Well my bow is over 10 years old and I've not needed a part for it. So there you have it. I had a Mathews Drenalin that I got on a trade, I sold it and kept the Diamond.

26-Jan-20
I still have my original Matthews Conquest that's 25 years old, and it's never needed a part for it, and I ran a LOT of arrows thru that bow. I bet it shoots as accurately today, as it did when it was new. Interestingly, the Conquest has been the only model that has endured the test of time, and they are still manufacturing them.

Matt

26-Jan-20
I liked the Bowtech carbon icon. Light weight and no vibration. Really nice bow. I am shooting a Quest Forge bow, 31" A to A, with fingers now. Good little bow for the money.

26-Jan-20
Bear Archery. #1 in longevity and timeless design. My buddy killed a 60+ inch moose last September with a Kodiak built in 1959.

26-Jan-20
They don't get alot of press but IMO APA puts out one of the best bows around. This is mine. She is still shooting strong.

26-Jan-20
Bear was founded in 1933. Hoyt is reputed to have been formed in 1931 - so perhaps Hoyt has greater longevity.....and is still relevant.

26-Jan-20
Kevin Dill, I still have my Kodiak that was made in the 50's. My dad killed deer with it and I did also.

26-Jan-20
That's what I'm talking about! :-)

26-Jan-20
Factually, I have zero Idea.

In my neck of the woods (Northeast), I think one would be safe to say the "big 3" are, in no particular order: Bowtech, Matthews, PSE. Hoyt likely is close to the PSE, maybe the flip and PSE is 4. But based on current popularity, Id err PSE ahead of Hoyt here.

26-Jan-20
Regional interests will ebb and flow. It would be hard to argue that Hoyt and Mathews are 1-2 in whatever order you prefer. Number three changes depending on where you live. Around here you'll find 40 Elites for every 1 Prime bow. You'll even find more Elites than PSE, Bear, and Martin combined. It's been 10 years at least since I saw a Darton or Martin bow at the state shoot.(we have a 1000 scores turned in at our state shoot) The "Open/Pro" shooters are pretty evenly represented with Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, and PSE. Not because they are any better but, because they pay contingency money if you win.

27-Jan-20
I "Got Serious" for awhile, now I shoot the world's most shootable bow.

27-Jan-20
yes but does you bow company make a high dollar pull up rope for it? must have that accessory available to be in top three.

27-Jan-20
For wheel bows I feel like Hoyt and Matthews are the biggest companies, and Bowtech is the most innovative. No factual evidence of any kind. (If we are talking last 10 years)

27-Jan-20
Here in my part of Michigan it seems to be Hoyt, Matthews, PSE. Bowtech 4th and I have seen increasing numbers of prime in the shops. Still for the big 3 it has to be Hoyt, Matthews, and PSE in some sort of order. I see more Matthew and PSE locally

Craig

27-Jan-20
What I saw in Michigan was Crossbows a strong first place, then compounds. I saw this in many shops from Lansing to the tip of the mitt. It's been a few years, so maybe the crossbow phase has mellowed out.

27-Jan-20
I think you are all underestimating PSE sales especially since theyre in the big box stores

• Sitka Gear