TrapperKayak 27-Jan-20
SteveB 27-Jan-20
SBH 27-Jan-20
Pop-r 27-Jan-20
SBH 27-Jan-20
Pop-r 27-Jan-20
HUNT MAN 27-Jan-20
26-Jan-20
Can anyone confirm if there were leftover general elk, general big game combo or general deer tags left over in Montana last year (2019). I thought I read somewhere there were more applicants for each type than available tags. Thanks

26-Jan-20
From my understanding, there were leftover elk combo tags last year

26-Jan-20
No big game combos for sure.

26-Jan-20
There was a rumor that I believe was verified that they over issued big game combos by 600 last year! Just a staff error the way I understood it. Once it was done they just went with it. Ftr, the people running that draw are very much incompetent in understanding how important their position is, the responsibility that they carry and the dependency for accuracy that people count on them to have.

26-Jan-20
My understanding is that the elk/deer combo sold out. The any elk tags did not. But it was very close to selling out for the 2019 draw.

26-Jan-20
IIRC, elk/deer combo sold out. About 800 elk combo tags leftover. The 800 tags went on sale and website had traffic problems. They issued to many tags. When the elk/deer combo and elk combo tags were returned they didn't reissue any.

26-Jan-20
Incompetence only begins to describe our elk management situation in MT.

26-Jan-20
^Since I have been doing NR tags in MT (9yrs).....I seem to recall at least 2 times the license process got messed up for the NR big game combo. The antelope draw seems to work ok....albeit too late in the summer for the results to get posted. I don't know about the other draws.....

26-Jan-20
I sure hope there was no comb tags left. I didn't draw. Ed

27-Jan-20
Most incompetent would be an accurate statement.

If you call to get the real answer straight from the horses mouth it comes out of the other end too.

I can’t believe they cannot even figure out their own system. One of the reasons I’ve migrated south to Wyoming.

That and the fact that in Montana they act like hunters are the enemy. Pull into a game check station and the attitude is “Let’s find a way to bust these guys for anything we can” Screw that!

27-Jan-20
Is it because MontanaDFWP, and esp. the population in general, is being taken over by the NRs from the SW region of the US??? Seemed to be when I was living there in the 70s-80s, and even more so in the last several years. There was a term for it, and it began with a 'C', and ended with an 'e'... :^/

27-Jan-20
A 600 tag “error” is a nearly $600k revenue increase. Accident?

27-Jan-20
The new goal in MT appears to be to kill as many elk as possible. We are so upside down its a shame. Went to the public meeting a couple weeks ago and spoke against almost everything they are trying to do. Our elk are being managed from out of state in the legislature and by large landowners. It started with the wolves. Now the elk have moved out of those areas and onto ranches that previously did not have elk...those guys want them all killed and they are getting what they want. Shoulder seasons that go tell Feb so you can kill pregnant cows....and 3 elk tags per resident coming to a hunting district near you for 2020! TERRIBLE.

27-Jan-20
SBH, did they bring the part up about removing antler point restrictions?

27-Jan-20
No they did not and I do not believe that is on the agenda.

27-Jan-20
I wasn't personally told that but I know someone who was. They even sent him about a hundred + studies via email which he forwarded to me to support their motivation. Idk if it's happening or not but the biologist he talked to was definitely advocating for it.

27-Jan-20
Nothing about point restrictions for elk at my region 2 meeting

• Sitka Gear