gil_wy 28-Jan-20
nmwapiti 28-Jan-20
Ermine 28-Jan-20
jingalls 28-Jan-20
elkstabber 28-Jan-20
welka 28-Jan-20
bowhunter24 29-Jan-20
26-Jan-20
I know this is always an intensely debated topic of using mechanicals on elk. I do NOT use mechanicals currently (Use Exodus). Many of the complaints on mechanicals were about blade breakage on bone. The SEVR supposedly pivots so less chance for breakage. Also have a 1.5" version for penetration they pitch based on request from elk hunters. My question is if anyone used the 2019 versions on elk?

26-Jan-20
I will try them on javelina in a week or two and deer this fall. Would also like to hear any experience on elk.

28-Jan-20
I killed an elk with the 2.1 last season. Along with a couple deer and an antelope. I didnt get a pass through on the elk as i hit an opposite side rib straight on. I clipped the back of the shoulder on the buck deer i killed and didnt get a pass through. Both the elk and deer died quickley (within sight)

28-Jan-20
Have your fixed blades given you reason to change, ....or?

Matt

28-Jan-20
Killed a bull with them in 2018 with a frontal shot. Arrow buried to the fletching. It was the first and last time I will ever use a head that requires a rubberband. The slightest bump and it breaks the rubberband. A super pain in the rear. I'm back to the old trusty Magnus buzzcut.

28-Jan-20

gil_wy's embedded Photo
gil_wy's embedded Photo
SEVR 1.5... 60 yard recovery

28-Jan-20

gil_wy's embedded Photo
gil_wy's embedded Photo
gil_wy's embedded Photo
gil_wy's embedded Photo
This was with the original Ulmer head... basically same as the SEVR 1.5

28-Jan-20

nmwapiti's embedded Photo
nmwapiti's embedded Photo
I dont know if this is a new feature, but the 1.5s I just got have a flat spot on the blades where the band goes. Should be able to handle a little bumping.

28-Jan-20
I’m not a fan of a mechanical for elk. I know they have killed them but just my personal opinion

Ive has bad luck with the original sevr (Ulmer edge). But haven’t used the sevr

28-Jan-20
I’ve killed a lot of deer with mechanicals. Went on my first elk 7 years ago and went to the Exodus. Never looked back. Killed 8 elk with them. If it’s not broke...don’t fix it! Good luck.

28-Jan-20
Since only gil_wy has chimed in with a 1.5 Sevr kill I will add on. This past September I killed a medium sized bull with a 2.1 Sevr. It was a clean pass through. He made it 60 yards.

28-Jan-20
Thanks for comments thus far. Rubber band issue can also be resolved by putting two on and as nmwapiti suggests, the notch should help. Have killed a bunch of hogs with Rage, but will try Sevr 1.5 this spring to see if any major difference. Only reason I am thinking about switching for elk is I have super high speed crossbow (can't shoot compound anymore due to bad back) and fixed blades get a little shaky at 470 fps (only ones that fly good are Viper Tricks and Exodus). Staying with Exodus until I hear more elk hunters successfully using SEVR. Thanks again.

29-Jan-20
I have a bad shoulder as well and had to go to a 50lb bow. I used Easton Injections with a 50 gr. outsert and 1.5 Sever on my deer this year. I was disappointed, I had only about 12 inches penetration, very little blood loss on a nice whitetail on a 23 yd shot. I found the deer and arrow about 200 yards from the shot about 2 weeks later. Mine are for sale.

• Sitka Gear