GF 27-Jan-20
Highlife 27-Jan-20
olebuck 27-Jan-20
GF 27-Jan-20
smarba 27-Jan-20
elvspec 27-Jan-20
wytex 28-Jan-20
26-Jan-20
Has anybody ever seen this done? Asking because I saw an ad with feeder pigs for sale and a couple of them had some really nice coloration that I thought would make a cool-looking quiver... but I don’t know if I have ever seen a hair-on tanned pigskin.

Anybody know about this? (I know not many view swine ad “trophies”, but that doesn’t mean the can’t be useful....)

26-Jan-20
Call you taxidermist. I'm sure it can be done. Remember their hair is very coarse. TMBB

26-Jan-20
Look up, North Texas Tannery.

26-Jan-20
It's been done go for it

26-Jan-20
Shiloh Ranch has a quiver made out of a pig hide in their Cook shack, it looks really cool. If you PM Cheryl or Matt Napper I’m sure they could give you more information

26-Jan-20
I had a buddy get one done hair on, turned out pretty cool.

26-Jan-20
Hey Skippy, I made that hog hide quiver at Shiloh. I just scrapped the hide and salt-tanned it. Not a real professional job but it did the trick. Salt tanned kept the hide stiff enough to do the job. I've done that with both a hog and a javie. Nice thing is that it's inexpensive, downside is they will curl up after a few years if they aren't tacked down. At least my javie did.

26-Jan-20

GF's embedded Photo
Guess which one caught my eye?
GF's embedded Photo
Guess which one caught my eye?
Call my TAXIDERMIST?? That’s like saying I should call my chauffeur! LOL

I was just thinking to find a tanner....

I suppose it means I’m a bad person because I see a piglet and I see quivers and pork chops....

26-Jan-20
You don't have a taxidermist? Christ man what you live in a trailer? ;)

27-Jan-20
No, but there are double-wides that are probably bigger!

The house is 120 years old - only 1,000 square feet - and with the boys here, we’re short on space.... so all my “trophies” are DIY Euros out in the garage....

27-Jan-20
Lol I hear ya .

27-Jan-20
i'm a taxidermist - well kinda. i mount deer and tan hides.

Shoot me a PM and i will tell you how to do it.

27-Jan-20
Thanks, Buck - I’ll have to get the piggie first, though!

27-Jan-20
A taxidermist walks into a hick-town bar. The locals eye him suspiciously and one decides to ask what he does for work. "I'm a taxidermist".

"A taxydermist, what the heck is that?" the hick asks.

"I mount animals" he replies.

The hick hollers out "Hey guys, it's OK , he's one of us...!" LOL

27-Jan-20
I've got one at home. The wife thinks its gross, i sort of like it. I will say that it never softened up, or at least mine didn't. Taxidermist put all kinds of conditioner on it and tumbled it for days and it never softened. Just what one would expect from a big old knarly boar.

28-Jan-20

wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
Send it to Moyle Mink in Idaho. Just had one done last year and it's soft and nice looking. You'll need to air it out to clear the tanning smell, doesn't take long. We just fleshed it and salted then sent it in. Amazing what color the boar was after the hide was clean. Here is the boar hanging and then the tanned hide, neat hair color he had.

• Sitka Gear